Start by marking “Mucumber McGee and the Half-Eaten Hot Dog” as Want to Read:
Mucumber McGee and the Half-Eaten Hot Dog

Mucumber McGee and the Half-Eaten Hot Dog

3.88  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Patrick Loehr presents a cautionary tale about eating raw hot dogs and listening to sisters. Mucumber McGee thinks he's going to die after taking a bite of an uncooked hot dog and envisions all of the things he's going to miss in life. Luckily his mother steps in.
Published July 3rd 2007 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published July 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Mucumber McGee and the Half-Eaten Hot Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mucumber McGee and the Half-Eaten Hot Dog

Tori Hutchison
Mar 04, 2015 Tori Hutchison rated it it was amazing
I have to do a review of five poetry books for my children's literature class. When I picked this up is was only because I needed it for my paper, but I actually really enjoyed it. I will definitely be adding this to my classroom library.
PickyReader
Nov 29, 2014 PickyReader rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2014
I don't like to give picture books 5 stars, but this one deserves it.

The poetry really flows in this book; it's not stilted or anything. It's cute, funny and to the point. It would be an easy book to read aloud as well!

The illustrations are drawn in a darker style, but they really help the flow of the story.

Love it. Such a cute tale.
Susan
Feb 13, 2009 Susan rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Mucumber is a somewhat macabre looking little boy, but very much a normal little boy with normal questions and fears.
He finds a half-eaten hot dog in the fridge and his adventure begins. Read it, you'll get a kick out of it.
Just for the record........hot dogs should be stricken from the earth...along with a few other things.
Tara
Nov 17, 2008 Tara rated it liked it
What's a boy to do when he's so hungry he'll eat anything?! Mucumber looks everywhere but can only find one hot dog in the back of the freezer. After he eats it, his sister tells him he's going to die! Good thing Mom came home in time! The rhymes make this a fun story to read out loud.
Barbara Whiting
May 19, 2012 Barbara Whiting rated it it was amazing
My son and I have read this multiple times along with the follow-up book, "The Lunch Ladies Liver". I rarely give a book 5 stars, but this one has won mine and my son's heart. I love the dark illustrations and authors use of wit. It is enjoyable for children and adults alike.
Kristen
Feb 02, 2009 Kristen rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Fun to read aloud to a classroom - just to be able to say things like "wiener" in an appropriate context - and because Mucumber thinks he's going to die since he's eaten a raw hot dog.
Dona
Mar 08, 2012 Dona rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture
Cute and melodramatic with a great moral at the end. "Don't listen to others, like sisters or brothers, next time you are hungry...just go ask your mothers." Sound advice.
Carol
Jul 18, 2010 Carol rated it it was amazing
It's similar to the folk that if you eat a watermelon seed, a watermelon will grow in your tummy.

All in all, a silly story for parents to share with kids.
Gremily
Dec 01, 2008 Gremily rated it really liked it
A little whimsical, a lot of goth, Mucumber McGee is the perfect antidote to your child's collection of unimaginative picture books. No soccer moms here.
Chelsy
Oct 20, 2011 Chelsy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Sentimentle and sweet. Loehr re-teaches us the experience of what it was like to be a child, but in a delightfully gothic setting.
Tattered Cover Book Store
Nov 12, 2008 Tattered Cover Book Store added it
Recommended to Tattered Cover by: Jeannie
A fun to read aloud book about food that tastes better than it looks.
Justin Matott
Sep 11, 2008 Justin Matott rated it liked it
Awesome art, mediocre story. Entertaining and weird.
Megan
Feb 01, 2009 Marge added it
Shelves: picture
funny
Paulah Heuschkel
Paulah Heuschkel rated it it was amazing
Jun 29, 2016
Zeka
Zeka rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
May 28, 2016
Denise
Denise rated it it was amazing
Mar 29, 2016
Dorie
Dorie added it
Jan 17, 2016
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2015
Martin Gilmore
Martin Gilmore marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2015
Bradie
Bradie rated it it was amazing
Sep 16, 2015
Justine Goeden
Justine Goeden rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2015
Mason Burns
Mason Burns rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2015