Start by marking “Mucumber McGee and the Half-Eaten Hot Dog” as Want to Read:
Mucumber McGee and the Half-Eaten Hot Dog

Mucumber McGee and the Half-Eaten Hot Dog

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Patrick Loehr presents a cautionary tale about eating raw hot dogs and listening to sisters. Mucumber McGee thinks he's going to die after taking a bite of an uncooked hot dog and envisions all of the things he's going to miss in life. Luckily his mother steps in.
Published July 3rd 2007 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published July 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Mucumber McGee and the Half-Eaten Hot Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mucumber McGee and the Half-Eaten Hot Dog

PickyReader
I don't like to give picture books 5 stars, but this one deserves it.

The poetry really flows in this book; it's not stilted or anything. It's cute, funny and to the point. It would be an easy book to read aloud as well!

The illustrations are drawn in a darker style, but they really help the flow of the story.

Love it. Such a cute tale.
Susan
I love this book. Mucumber is a somewhat macabre looking little boy, but very much a normal little boy with normal questions and fears.
He finds a half-eaten hot dog in the fridge and his adventure begins. Read it, you'll get a kick out of it.
Just for the record........hot dogs should be stricken from the earth...along with a few other things.
Tara
What's a boy to do when he's so hungry he'll eat anything?! Mucumber looks everywhere but can only find one hot dog in the back of the freezer. After he eats it, his sister tells him he's going to die! Good thing Mom came home in time! The rhymes make this a fun story to read out loud.
Barbara Whiting
My son and I have read this multiple times along with the follow-up book, "The Lunch Ladies Liver". I rarely give a book 5 stars, but this one has won mine and my son's heart. I love the dark illustrations and authors use of wit. It is enjoyable for children and adults alike.
Kris
Fun to read aloud to a classroom - just to be able to say things like "wiener" in an appropriate context - and because Mucumber thinks he's going to die since he's eaten a raw hot dog.
Dona
Cute and melodramatic with a great moral at the end. "Don't listen to others, like sisters or brothers, next time you are hungry...just go ask your mothers." Sound advice.
Carol
It's similar to the folk that if you eat a watermelon seed, a watermelon will grow in your tummy.

All in all, a silly story for parents to share with kids.
Gremily
A little whimsical, a lot of goth, Mucumber McGee is the perfect antidote to your child's collection of unimaginative picture books. No soccer moms here.
Chelsy
Sentimentle and sweet. Loehr re-teaches us the experience of what it was like to be a child, but in a delightfully gothic setting.
Stacie
My daughters love the Mucumber books. We have read them both many times.
Tattered Cover Book Store
Nov 12, 2008 Tattered Cover Book Store added it
Recommended to Tattered Cover by: Jeannie
A fun to read aloud book about food that tastes better than it looks.
Justin Matott
Awesome art, mediocre story. Entertaining and weird.
Megan
Goofy, goofy...
Marge
Feb 01, 2009 Marge added it
Shelves: picture
funny
Jewel Moseley
Jewel Moseley marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Fluffy
Fluffy added it
Dec 10, 2014
Tara added it
Nov 03, 2014
Tara
Tara marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Summer
Summer added it
Jul 14, 2014
Lukas Ryan
Lukas Ryan marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Mucumber McGee and the Lunch Lady's Liver Elusive Conclusions Vol. I, "Simulated Fabrications" Mucumber McGee and the Half-Eaten Hot Dog 20 Days of Snow at Mountview Mansion A Swell-Looking Babe