Start by marking “The Thrill of It All: The Story of Bryan Ferry & Roxy Music” as Want to Read:
The Thrill of It All: The Story of Bryan Ferry & Roxy Music

The Thrill of It All: The Story of Bryan Ferry & Roxy Music

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  51 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Roxy Music, one of the first and best art-rock bands of the 1970s, is chronicled in this account of decadent glam-rock excess.

Included are accounts of Ferry's affair with supermodel Jerry Hall and its public end when she left him for Mick Jagger, the band's various splits and regroupings, and the recent reunion in 2001 for a sold-out greatest hits tour.

Years of research
Published March 1st 2005 by Chicago Review Press (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Thrill of It All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thrill of It All

Tosh
David Buckley did an excellent job on the Bowie bio, and in turn this is also an interesting book on what I think is one of the major groups to come out of the 70's glam scene. In fact they're a foundation! There was not a weak link in the original line-up of Roxy Music. And the fact that they also built a bridge between the avant-garde and pure classic pop is an important route to go on as a listerner.

Roxy Music is also about the visual art world, design world, and of course the fashion world.
Stuart Hill
An unusual biography in that it focuses on a band member that according to this author's account was one of the less talented members of the group. I did wonder whether Buckley's original intention was to write a biography of Roxy Music only but was persuaded by their publisher that one based on the lead singer was more commercially viable. The earlier sections of the book were enjoyable to read and Buckley's enthusiasm for the first few years of Roxy comes across clearly. I didn't enjoy the sol ...more
Andrew
In many ways I read this book just to understand why I should care about Roxy music?....I am a fan of music in most forms and although I have picked up various Bryan Ferry and Roxy music vinyl and CD releases over the years from car boot sales and charity shops I have only really given them a cursory listen feeling much of the time that the hype generated from the build up others have given the releases doesn't translate in actuality.....as you can tell I'm not a Roxy music fan per se..
However I
Peter
Well-written and researched biography of the band, focussing on enigmatic lead singer Bryan Ferry. I found this considerably more comprehensive than another biography on the band that I read a while back (Unknown Pleasures, by Paul Stump), and it's also more recent, being written in 2004.

The major shortcoming for me is the paucity of direct interviews with the band members -- we get plenty (indeed, often an excess) of opinionated quotes from lesser known associates of the band and various other
Lisa
Writing style was rather choppy and I found that distracting from the content which was interesting.
Robert
I had read a review of a more recent book about Roxy Music (Michael Bracewell's "Remake Remodel: Becoming Roxy Music", which, as it turns out, hasn't been published in the US yet) when I picked this up at the library. It's fairly routine rock journalism, and a little too willing to give in to musical prejudices, but there are some genuinely good observations on what made the sound and look of the original Roxy (the Eno period) such a cultural breakthrough - and why they never caught on in Americ ...more
Kurt
A solid critical biography of Bryan Ferry, a performer who broke all the rules about what a rock front man could be for three years in the early '70s, then retreated to stuffy, overly calculated convention before lapsing into a multi-decade torpor. What went wrong? This book does a good job of explaining why the shy, insecure, self-doubting Ferry derailed his career and managed to, one by one, shed the musicians who helped him create the spectacular, innovative sounds of early Roxy Music.
S. Harper
A disappointment, to say the least.
This book taught me that I really don't love everything about Roxy Music, and that after the break-up with Jerry Hall, Bryan Ferry was really boring. As I "read", my mind wandered and I found myself wishing for a coffee-table-sized photo-record of Brian Eno's rapidly receding glam-rock hairline instead.
This is the first book in a long time that I had no interest in finishing.
Malini Sridharan
Buckley gives a lot of lip service to how great Bryan Ferry is, but he doesn't seem to think Ferry is all that great. Eno comes out looking way more awesome. But I love the weird little tid bits of info. For instance, Ferry's son is a Master of the Hunt. WTF? Trollope, anyone?
Carella Ross
Carella Ross marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2015
Olivia Smith
Olivia Smith marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Keith Weller
Keith Weller is currently reading it
Dec 07, 2014
Monty
Monty added it
Dec 03, 2014
Mia Pshenichnaya
Mia Pshenichnaya marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Dougal
Dougal added it
May 18, 2014
J Pound
J Pound marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2013
Leone Bachega
Leone Bachega marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2013
Adam Taylor
Adam Taylor is currently reading it
Oct 12, 2013
Kristal
Kristal marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Strange Fascination: David Bowie: The Definitive Story Kraftwerk: Publikation R.E.M. | Fiction: An Alternative Biography Elton: The Biography David Bowie