Start by marking “The Thrill of It All: The Story of Bryan Ferry & Roxy Music” as Want to Read:
The Thrill of It All: The Story of Bryan Ferry & Roxy Music

The Thrill of It All: The Story of Bryan Ferry & Roxy Music

Roxy Music, one of the first and best art-rock bands of the 1970s, is chronicled in this account of decadent glam-rock excess.

Included are accounts of Ferry's affair with supermodel Jerry Hall and its public end when she left him for Mick Jagger, the band's various splits and regroupings, and the recent reunion in 2001 for a sold-out greatest hits tour.

Years of research
Published March 1st 2005 by Chicago Review Press (first published September 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Thrill of It All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thrill of It All

Tosh
Nov 28, 2007 Tosh rated it really liked it
David Buckley did an excellent job on the Bowie bio, and in turn this is also an interesting book on what I think is one of the major groups to come out of the 70's glam scene. In fact they're a foundation! There was not a weak link in the original line-up of Roxy Music. And the fact that they also built a bridge between the avant-garde and pure classic pop is an important route to go on as a listerner.

Roxy Music is also about the visual art world, design world, and of course the fashion world.
Stuart Hill
Jul 07, 2014 Stuart Hill rated it really liked it
An unusual biography in that it focuses on a band member that according to this author's account was one of the less talented members of the group. I did wonder whether Buckley's original intention was to write a biography of Roxy Music only but was persuaded by their publisher that one based on the lead singer was more commercially viable. The earlier sections of the book were enjoyable to read and Buckley's enthusiasm for the first few years of Roxy comes across clearly. I didn't enjoy the sol ...more
gekko100
Jan 09, 2011 gekko100 rated it really liked it
Well-written and researched biography of the band, focussing on enigmatic lead singer Bryan Ferry. I found this considerably more comprehensive than another biography on the band that I read a while back (Unknown Pleasures, by Paul Stump), and it's also more recent, being written in 2004.

The major shortcoming for me is the paucity of direct interviews with the band members -- we get plenty (indeed, often an excess) of opinionated quotes from lesser known associates of the band and various other
Andrew
May 15, 2015 Andrew rated it liked it
Shelves: music, biog-autobiog
In many ways I read this book just to understand why I should care about Roxy music?....I am a fan of music in most forms and although I have picked up various Bryan Ferry and Roxy music vinyl and CD releases over the years from car boot sales and charity shops I have only really given them a cursory listen feeling much of the time that the hype generated from the build up others have given the releases doesn't translate in actuality.....as you can tell I'm not a Roxy music fan per se..
However I
Robert
Jan 20, 2008 Robert rated it liked it
I had read a review of a more recent book about Roxy Music (Michael Bracewell's "Remake Remodel: Becoming Roxy Music", which, as it turns out, hasn't been published in the US yet) when I picked this up at the library. It's fairly routine rock journalism, and a little too willing to give in to musical prejudices, but there are some genuinely good observations on what made the sound and look of the original Roxy (the Eno period) such a cultural breakthrough - and why they never caught on in Americ ...more
S. Harper
Feb 08, 2009 S. Harper rated it it was ok
A disappointment, to say the least.
This book taught me that I really don't love everything about Roxy Music, and that after the break-up with Jerry Hall, Bryan Ferry was really boring. As I "read", my mind wandered and I found myself wishing for a coffee-table-sized photo-record of Brian Eno's rapidly receding glam-rock hairline instead.
This is the first book in a long time that I had no interest in finishing.
Kurt
Jan 13, 2008 Kurt rated it really liked it
A solid critical biography of Bryan Ferry, a performer who broke all the rules about what a rock front man could be for three years in the early '70s, then retreated to stuffy, overly calculated convention before lapsing into a multi-decade torpor. What went wrong? This book does a good job of explaining why the shy, insecure, self-doubting Ferry derailed his career and managed to, one by one, shed the musicians who helped him create the spectacular, innovative sounds of early Roxy Music.
Malini Sridharan
Oct 02, 2008 Malini Sridharan rated it liked it
Buckley gives a lot of lip service to how great Bryan Ferry is, but he doesn't seem to think Ferry is all that great. Eno comes out looking way more awesome. But I love the weird little tid bits of info. For instance, Ferry's son is a Master of the Hunt. WTF? Trollope, anyone?
Lisa
Oct 14, 2014 Lisa rated it liked it
Writing style was rather choppy and I found that distracting from the content which was interesting.
Bradley
Bradley rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2013
Shaun
Shaun rated it it was ok
Sep 18, 2016
Beena
Beena rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2009
M. Toledo
M. Toledo rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2014
Lukas Evan
Lukas Evan rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2011
Michael Fuller
Michael Fuller rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
Joseph Giordano
Joseph Giordano rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2015
Frances Fong
Frances Fong rated it did not like it
Dec 06, 2011
George
George rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2008
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2012
Paul rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2007
Jeff
Jeff rated it liked it
Feb 23, 2012
Ryan Luce
Ryan Luce rated it really liked it
Nov 19, 2013
Fernanda FuzzBox
Fernanda FuzzBox rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2009
william james thompson jr.
william james thompson jr. rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2015
Paul
Paul rated it it was amazing
Nov 21, 2007
George
George rated it liked it
Jun 14, 2016
Bullpost
Bullpost rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2010
Tracy Barrows
Tracy Barrows rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2011
Jordan
Jordan rated it really liked it
Aug 20, 2014