Start by marking “Confessions of a Backup Dancer” as Want to Read:
Confessions of a Backup Dancer

Confessions of a Backup Dancer

glamour. access. scandal.
Ever wonder what your favorite pop divas are like AFTER the cameras stop rolling? What do they do behind closed doors? What are their parties like? What do they think about? What do they fight about? What do they really want? And who do they REALLY hook up with?
Kelly Kimball spent a summer as a backup dancer for Darcy Barnes, the biggest pop st
Published June 1st 2004 by Simon Pulse (first published May 25th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Confessions of a Backup Dancer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confessions of a Backup Dancer

Not in the Script by Amy FinneganThis Is What Happy Looks Like by Jennifer E. SmithStarlet's Web by Carla J. HannaL.A. Candy by Lauren ConradThe Fame Game by Lauren Conrad
YA Celebrities
68th out of 101 books — 50 voters
Liar by Justine LarbalestierThe Chosen One by Carol Lynch WilliamsShelter by Harlan CobenStormbreaker by Anthony HorowitzLost and Found by Anne Schraff
Hi/Lo High School Books
18th out of 23 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Bookaholic (reads every mortal thing)

I was just going through all the books in my useless Library, a place where you just cant get any good books, when I see THIS. The cover was fairly okay and the condition of the book was good compared to all the other books available, so I picked it up and issued it out of plain curiosity.

I now hate my library eons more.

Confessions of a Backup Dancer might have been an acceptable book had it not been edited by a pre-schooler, written by a first grader and named by a prom queen. And if it had a
Jayla
Apr 25, 2011 Jayla rated it liked it
Alright,so like many Teen novels there's what I like to call TAF(The Teen Angst Factor) and Confessions of a Backup Dancer has plenty of it. Yes it has some golden nuggets like finding yourself and all that jazz but the book is not based in reality so it's hard to take it seriously especially with the main character's names Kelly Kimball and Darcy Barnes, seriously, I was ready to choke Anonymous, What's with those names.Now that I've spewed my bookly venom let's get to the good part because ...more
Susan
Feb 20, 2012 Susan rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012, ya
All I've been doing these days is reading history books, so that I can become better at trivia. Trivia trivia trivia. I live and breathe for trivia all day and night, you can't even imagine. Then, Saturday, I bonked, hit the wall, no more presidential history, no more anatomy, no more art facts. I couldn't do it! I couldn't cram any more bits and bobs into my dumb little head.

And so I turned to this book that I had picked up at a used book store or a garage sale or something along the way. I rea
Kayla
Jan 12, 2012 Kayla rated it it was ok
Confessions of a Backup Dancer was one of the first YA books I read when I was around 13 years old. At the time I thought it was one of the coolest books out there but now a revisit back to it shows it's not as awesome as I thought it was. Looking at it now, the fact that the book is set up online diary form means the grammar is well bad. The plot is a little flat and predictable, of course this is my opinion now at 21.

Confessions of a Backup Dancer is much more geared towards the younger end o
Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana
Jun 13, 2011 Taiyesha-Duchess of Indiana rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Young Girls, Pre-Teens, 13-14 year olds
Honestly this book is not that bad, once you realize what audience it is geared towards. I read this book when i was like 13. and for a 13 year old THIS IS GREAT. its written in a contemporary manner and makes you feel like you are a little older than you should be while at the same time not embarrassing you to the point of scrounging for a book cover. Its a fun and easy summer read, any young pre-teens and 13-14 year old girls will usually appreciate it. I'm talking girls who are PRE-TWILIGHT, ...more
Emily
Aug 11, 2009 Emily rated it it was ok
This was a good book, but it was written in the form of a blog/ computer diary thing, so nothing was captitalized, there was no real paragraph separation, and everything was just like this:

so he was like hey wanna get something to eat and i was like okay, i'm really hungry so we went and ate Mcdonalds and i got a Big mac and it was super yummo.

If you ask me, it's just plain lazy to write a whole book that way. It takes 5 extra seconds to put things with the proper grammar/capitalization. It was
s o n n a
Sep 05, 2010 s o n n a rated it did not like it
DO NOT READ THIS!!! Waste of my time, personally, because

a) The grammar. I know this is an online diary, but HELLO, was or was there not an editor?!
b) Boring storyline. I'll tell you the truth, I almost didn't even finish this book. I would have put it as currently-reading, but it's not worth the effort.
c) I usually think the beginning is never enough to pull you in, except for my 5-star books, but I NEVER gained interest. The only reason I kept reading was because I never leave a book unfinishe
Breanna Coleman
Nov 07, 2008 Breanna Coleman rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teenage girls.
Recommended to Breanna Coleman by: library.
Cofessions of a backup dancer is about a dancer named Kelly Kimball who audition for this dance thing, but didn't make it because she wasn't "real" which wasn't even true because she was. A person who heard about her at the auditions wanted her to dance for a famous pop singer, Darcy Barnes, who she actually became best friends with. She got fired from Darcy's rude mom, Darla and joined this other famous popstars on Pashmina's tour, but came back to Darcy tour.
Stephanie A.
Jan 08, 2013 Stephanie A. rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary-ya
You've read Pop Princess, now go one step further and experience life in her shadow.

OK, it's not a literal companion book, but it serves a similar purpose: peeling back a curtain on the entertainment industry and exploring a world that the average person probably doesn't know very much about it. That's what keeps it a cut above your average junk food novel ,of which this otherwise has all the trappings.
Annamarie
Jul 25, 2011 Annamarie rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
really like the story, you know the saying that the grass is always greener on the other side. That is how fame it, most people want to be famous for reasons like they get free stuff, everyone knows their name, and they get lots of money. Then when you finally become famous you would rather have everything go back to the way it was before.
Anh Nguyen
May 31, 2011 Anh Nguyen rated it really liked it
I think this book is very addicting. I just started reading and i feel like keep on reading and never stop. This book is about a girl who is very good at dancing. She went to many places to do auditions but the judges thinks that she's a clone of another dancer, so they didn't let her in. Her friend Tito thinks she's a "REAL" one. Which means every movements she dance is flawless.
Courtney
Mar 31, 2008 Courtney rated it did not like it
An ok book. I wish we would've finally learned the real name of the main character and author. It's an interesting, but not that interesting, look at the inside life of a pop-princesses backup dancer. I doubt it's K-fed. :D
Kassandra
Jul 22, 2016 Kassandra rated it liked it
I completed this book and in all honesty I can't remember much about this book! It is pretty forgettable there was nothing interesting about the characters and I do not know how I even finished this book!
Heather
Jul 29, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teens
It was really good. It is about a who becomes a backup dancer, and she becomes fake best freinds with a rock star. Then she gets dropped and she signs on with a different artist. It was written well, but was unrealistic at times.
Rena
Sep 16, 2014 Rena rated it did not like it
You made me do this! Into the trashcan you go!

I could only get to page 5.

"It's like capitalize, please!"

Don't ever read this worse then any fanfiction ever written!
Meaghan
Jan 22, 2014 Meaghan rated it really liked it
i had a hard time adjusting to the diary style writing but enjoyed the story. i wanted more in depth focus on the main characters (namely tito and kelly)
Hilary
Jul 21, 2009 Hilary rated it it was ok
Highly colloquial, which becomes wearing after a point. The craziness and pressure of fitting in on a nationwide tour will give teen readers a glimpse into the un-glamourous side of celebrity.
Shira
Shira rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2014
Kylie
Kylie rated it it was amazing
Nov 17, 2012
Sophia
Sophia rated it liked it
Dec 15, 2013
Christine
Christine rated it liked it
May 30, 2014
Summer
Summer rated it it was ok
Feb 11, 2015
Maliha
Maliha rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2011
Brandi
Brandi rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2010
Sydnie Culver
It was nice. Kind of confusing but it I liked it.
Breanna Boyer
Breanna Boyer rated it really liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Jade
Jade rated it liked it
Dec 03, 2011
Olivia
Olivia rated it liked it
Nov 10, 2012
Nova
Nova rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2013
Lauren Gailey
Lauren Gailey rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2016
  • Lazarus
  • More Natural Cures Revealed
  • A Man Like Mac
  • The Best American Short Stories 2003
  • The Cowboy (Ladies and Legends, #3)
  • Pop Princess
  • The Accidental Bride (Bride, #2)
  • Snake Hips: Belly Dancing and How I Found True Love
  • Graffiti Girl
  • After Hours (The Party Room, #3)
  • Stories for a Teen's Heart: Over One Hundred Stories to Encourage a Teen's Soul
  • Six Weeks to Toxic
  • Free Agent
  • The Cheetah Girls: Supa-Dupa Sparkle, Books #5-8
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...