One Wicked Sin (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #2)

One Wicked Sin (The Scandalous Women of the Ton #2)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  359 ratings  ·  47 reviews
Lottie Palliser was once the toast of the Ton but now is notorious for being divorced—and penniless. Shunned by society and disowned by her family, the destitute beauty is forced to become a courtesan in a Covent Garden bawdy house. Refusing to oblige her customers, Lottie is about to be turned out onto the streets when a dangerous rake saves her with a scandalous offer......more
Published October 26th 2010 by HQN Books (first published October 13th 2010)

Funmbi
Carol *Young at Heart Oldie*
ONE WICKED SIN, the second book in Nicola Cornick's delightful series Scandalous Women of the Ton, is a compelling story of scandal, honour, betrayal and passion.

Once married to a fabulously wealthy banker, Lottie Cummings had been one of the foremost hostesses in London until her reckless behaviour changes everything. Divorced by her husband, shunned by her former friends and disowned by her own family, she finds herself destitute. Her options are limited and she becomes a courtesan in a Covent...more
Kit★
I picked this one and the next one up to continue the series began with Whisper of Scandal. In WoS I didn't really like Lottie Cummings' character, because she was so flighty and selfish, and a little annoying. So when I started this one, and saw her brought down within the first pages, it was a little fun. But as the story continued, and I found the reasons why Lottie acted the way she did, I started to feel sympathy for her and understand her motives, though I didn't always agree with the way...more
Gail
The hero is the bastard son of an English lord who's been fighting for the French, for liberte, egalite, etc., and is now a prisoner of war. He is "on parole," living in the open in a village, with permission to go to London if he asks ahead of time. The heroine is a divorced woman with no income who's trying to make a living as a prostitute--but she's not any good at it, despite all the lovers she took when she was married. (Her ex, in this time when nobody got divorced, is gay and only married...more
Terra
This is a wonderful story and it flows very smoothly. It is also wickedly hot. Enough so that it will sizzle your fingers as you turn each page but with characters that are venerable, untrust worthy, shunned by the Ton and just down right naughty.

Lottie our heroine has been shunned by the Ton for flaunting her affairs in the face of her rich husband who divorces her and leaves her completely destitute. Ending up in a brothel of all places for someone who was on the highest point of the ladder in...more
Kimm
The second book in The Scandalous Women of the Ton trilogy picks up from a character I didn’t fancy much in the first story: Lottie Cummings (nee Palliser).

Lottie was (is?) spoiled and selfish. In Whisper of Scandal, she’s atrocious. Honestly, I really couldn’t find much to like about her. With friends like her, who needs enemies?

The only saving grace for me with Lottie is that I read One Wicked Sin before reading Whisper of Scandal—so I only had veiled references to her past to go on while lea...more
Dawn
I am not a huge fan of romance novels but recently I have been enjoying the odd historical romance. I liked this one because the heroine is not some 18-year old virgin instead she is a 33 year divorced woman who has been caste off by her friends and family because she likes to have sex and her husband did not. Lotty, the heroine, has some realistic concerns like she needs a place to live and she needs money. Ethan our hero is a bit of a rouge, a prisoner or war and constantly involved in traitor...more
Carolyn (Book Chick City)
7/10 on the blog Book Chick City.

I was a little dubious about reading "One Wicked Sin" after finding out the heroine was Lottie Cummings. She was in the previous book in the series as a secondary character and I didn't like her at all.

However, although I found it difficult at first to forget how awfully she had treated her best friend by sleeping with her husband, trying to seduce her new husband and betraying her in other ways, I did begin to like her more and more as I read each chapter. I beg...more
Carolyn (Book Chick City)
7/10 on the blog Book Chick City.

Jo (My House of Books)
Sequels typically don't measure up to the first book of a series. That's my experience anyway; no matter how much I want to like them on their own, for their own measure and delight, it never happens. That can be true of One Wicked Sin.

We met Lottie Palliser (nee Lottie Cummings) in Whisper of Scandal. She was Joanna's vapid friend, who became Joanna's husband's lover for a short while. She is bold, seemingly wanton, and perhaps without a code of common decency (she also throws herself at Joanna...more
Mary Gramlich
Take your breath away romance

Lottie was an embarrassment to her family when she was a Palliser and a total humiliation as a Cummings. But Lottie was always truthful with herself and even when everyone including family, husband and the ton threw her out on the streets she knew somehow she would survive. Her ex-husband was the liar, the ton hypocritical and her family vicious but still Lottie figured out what she was good at and went from there.

But it turned out what Lottie liked and was good at a...more
Isabella Kai
One Wicked Sin tells the story of Lottie Palliser, known as Charlotte Cummings in book one. Now divorced, she longs for security and a way out of the sink hole she managed to fall into. Ethan Ryder was the answer to all her problems but nothing comes for free. Ethan made Lottie an offer she simply cannot refuse. Money for scandal was the name of the game they were playing.

Truth be told, I hated Lottie on the spot from book one. I didn’t want to read her story. She’s manipulative, insensitive and...more
April
ONE WICKED SIN by Nicola Cornick is a Regency historical romance set in 1813 London. It is well written with details,depth,fast paced and a page turner. It has romance, sensuality,betrayal, love, full of action, deceit,regrets, danger, desire, prisoner of war, British and Irish men. The hero, Ethan, is handsome, full of regrets, hard,the illegitimate son of a Duke, a prisoner of war, determined to free the other prisoners of war of their horrid treatment by the British, considered a renegade, on...more
Diah Didi
Danielle
more of a 3.5 actually. this one surprised me, the characters were actually quite believable (for a romance novel) and the plot was rather different. Lottie is the woman the female leads usually triumph over; she's sexy, scandalous, quite lacking in morals, but she has a certain, i don't know, depth about her that allows the audience to still like her and want her to be happy. The male lead on the other hand, while he is fighting for the french in stead of the typical british, he's the steryotyp...more
Chris
Ana
Readers first meet the outrageous Lottie in Whisper of Scandal, the first book in the Scandalous Women of the Ton series. I knew she was going to be great fun and I’m pleased to report that I was correct. Poor Lottie has been called on the carpet for her promiscuous ways leaving her destitute and forced to sell her favors in order to survive. Oh how far the mighty have fallen.

Ethan is a complex character and I went back and forth about whether I liked him or not. Both he and Lottie are mercena...more
Allison
Sometimes I get in 'Damsel in Distress' kicks and need a fun romance novel. I used to make fun of my mom when I would see the cover of the book she was reading and she would say "The book isn't like that! It's just adventure!" Now I know what she meant. The cover always looks so steamy and it's embarassing to hold the book in public. Thank goodness for my Nook.
Lauren
Charlotte has fallen down on her luck. Being divorced from her husband and scandalous against the ton she has no recourse but to turn to selling herself. When Ethan strides into his life in all his rebellious arrogance he offers her a proposition she can hardly refuse.

I didn't like Lottie in the first book at all, I thought she was just shallow and annoying. She is growing on me more in this book though. I almost am beginning to feel sorry for her.
Tricia
A lovely follow-on from Whisper of Scandal (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #1) by Nicola Cornick; this is Lottie's story and it beautifully explains the poignant reasons why she behaves as she does. A touching love story.
Joanne
I loved this historical romance by Nicola.......it's one in a series and I look for more. Just can't get enough of them.

Lottie Cummings, once toast of the ton, is now divorced, shunned by soiciety, even her family and friends. She becomes a Covent Garden courtesan until a dangerous rake saves her with a scandlous offer.

Ethan Ryder, who has many secrets and was once in Napoleon's cavalry, is captured and now a parole in England. Prisoner of war, and he is planning something really big, a coup. He...more
Tasneem
I found this book and the historical event that it is set around really well researched and told. It is a fact often forgetten that there were 60,000 or so prisoners of war in the UK from the Napoleonic Wars. The book deals with one of those prisoners, Ethan Ryder and his romance with Charlotte, a divorcee shunned by the supposedly high sticklers of society.
The only reason this book doesn't get a 5 star rating is because the ending is a bit too Mills and Boony for me, a bit too over the top. Bu...more
Highland-dreamer
As in the first book in the series, I loved the originality of the story, and how actual historical events were used as a background. The author did a good job of taking an unlikeable secondary character in the first book, and turning her into a very likeable heroine in the second. I found myself thoroughly engrossed in the story the entire time. My one disappointment was the end... I wanted more of an epilogue, or at least a glimpse into their immediate future. I didn't like the fact that they...more
Gabriella
Well it seems for once in my life words have failed me. This book...was just everything a book should be. I loved it from start to finish. The ending was one of the best endings I’ve read. Sometimes authors feel the need to finish the novel stating what happened another few years later, and I think it takes away from the mysterious aspect, but this book delivered me my perfect ending on a silver platter and I couldn't be more thrilled, by far one of the best book ever created.
Michaela
The Plot: Lottie Cummings is in disgrace. Divorced from her rich husband for her indiscretions, she becomes a courtesan in order to survive. Handsome Ethan Ryder comes to her with the intention of making her his mistress. But Ethan is a paroled prisoner of war and Lottie's past scandals will be nothing once she throws in her lot with him.

My Verdict: Lottie and Ethan spend most of their time in bed. Need I say more?
Missy
Quick read. It was witty and had some very funny moments. Do like the charactor of Lottie and her stiff backbone for the year 1812 yet modest enough to not be to worldly for a women of the time. I enjoyed the details of the charactors, I wish there were more historical details of the ton as were the time references a bit streched. I enjoyed the book, my first of Cornick's and will read more of her stories.
Wendy Soliman
What a pleasure to have a Regency where the hero isn't a...well traditional hero and the heroine is less than virtuous. Fun and easy to understand how she could have fallen into her situation. This was witty, tightly-written and great fun. Nicola Cornick at her best.

This book has been nominated for a Rita, rightly so. A very entertaining read which I highly recommend.
Kit
4.5 Having read, 'Whisper of Scandal', I started 'One Wicked Sin' not thinking it possible for the heroine, Lottie Cummings, to have any redeeming qualities- she was rotten to the core. Perhaps because I thought Nicola had written herself in a corner, I was even more mesmerized so see the unfolding of such a touching and romantic story.
Gloriavirtutisumbra
alternately hysterically funny, and honestly sad/pragmatic, this is the followup adventures of Lottie, the vacuous society dominatrix in the first book of the series. Nice to see someone who screws up socially, gets nailed with her comeuppance, and then somehow redeems herself in the end. Not high fiction, no no, but fun.
Sue
The heroine, Lottie, in this book was the so called best friend of the heroine in Whisper of
Scandal. I did not like in that book and I really didn't like her in this book. I did like the hero; I thought Ethan was really a good guy. On the other hand, I did like the end of the book. It was different.
  • The Black Diamond (Black Diamond, #2)
  • Hoodoo Money, First Edition
  • El complot mongol
  • As You Wish (Time of Transition, #2)
  • Tempted At Midnight (Mayhem in Mayfair, #4)
  • Highland Rogue, London Miss
  • Blue Ice (Ice # 1)
  • Curse (Wicked, #2)
  • Takedown (1 Night Stand, #13)
  • Reign of the Dead
  • Inked
  • Stealing Kevin's Heart
  • Total Abandon
  • Skin (Hot Cops, #2)
  • The Mercenary's Marriage
  • Il mio inverno a Zerolandia
  • Settling (Solid, #2)
  • The Devil to Pay (MacLachlan Family, #1)
USA Today bestselling author Nicola Cornick writes witty and passionate Regency historicals for HQN Books and MIRA. She studied History at London and Oxford and was awarded a distinction for her dissertation on historical heroes. It was a tough study but someone had to do it. Nicola has a “double life” as a writer and guide at the stunning 17th century hunting lodge, Ashdown House.

Romantic Times h...more
More about Nicola Cornick...
Whisper of Scandal (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #1) Mistress by Midnight (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #3) Desired (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #5) The Confessions of a Duchess (The Brides of Fortune #1) Notorious (The Scandalous Women of the Ton, #4)