Start by marking “Death and the Maiden (Liebermann Papers, #6)” as Want to Read:
Death and the Maiden (Liebermann Papers, #6)

Death and the Maiden (Liebermann Papers #6)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  399 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Vienna, 1903. An operatic diva, Ida Rosenkrantz, is found dead in her luxurious villa. It appears that she has taken an overdose of morphine, but a broken rib, discovered during autopsy, suggests other and more sinister possibilities. Detective Inspector Oskar Rheinhardt seeks the assistance of his young friend, the psychoanalyst Dr Max Liebermann, and they begin their inq ...more
Published 2011 by Century

To ask other readers questions about Death and the Maiden, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death and the Maiden

Claude
Oct 24, 2013 Claude rated it it was amazing
I want Frank Tallis to write more novels in the Liebermann Papers series
Vivienne
Mar 31, 2011 Vivienne rated it it was amazing
This series just keeps on improving. This was another utterly engrossing outing for psychiatrist Dr. Max Liebermann and his good friend, Detective Inspector Oskar Rheinhardt set in 1903 Vienna.

Music has always played a role in these novels as the two friends share a deep love of music and regularly meet to play together and discuss compositions. In this volume the case they are investigating centres on music.

When Ida Rosenkrantz, an operatic diva, is found dead it is initially thought that she
Ingmar
Jan 16, 2012 Ingmar rated it liked it
Pretty much the same formula as the others in the series, young doctor (an adept and admirer of Sigmund Freud) helps his friend from the Security Office to solve a murder case. There are plenty of allusions to historic personalities (Mayor Lueger, Gustav Mahler, the Emperor ...) and the plot, although interesting enough, clearly takes a backseat to the painting of a lively picture of fin-de-siècle Vienna.

There's some romance, too, thrown in for good measure (for those in the know: Yes, there's s
Jenny
May 05, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it
Vienna (again) - so much pleasure from Frank Tallis' writing. I don't usually focus on "descriptive" passages in mystery novels - but somehow Frank Tallis brings Vienna to life through vision, smell, taste and atmosphere. Along with the delight of the senses he offers an exploration of the human mind, heart and soul - a perfect mix for a great detective novel.
Eustacia Tan
Apr 13, 2012 Eustacia Tan rated it really liked it
It's 1903, which means for those of use living in the "future", WWI will start soon. But in Vienna, Dr Max Liebermann sees the anti-Semitic tension rising, and dismisses the uprising in Serbia. But all these big picture events don't matter, what this book is concerned with is to find the murderer of the famous opera diva Ida Rosenkrantz.

If you've read this series before, you'll know that this series uses psychology, or psychology as it was understood then to solve crimes. Dr Liebermann is a mus
Anna Janelle
Nov 06, 2012 Anna Janelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
description

HA!

Okay, now that I've got THAT out of my system. The review.

1903. Austria. A young, increasingly popular opera soprano is found dead at her home due to an apparent laudanum overdose. This overdose falls into question when a broken rib is discovered, insinuating that the singer was smothered prior to her death. Inspector Rheinhardt and Dr. Liebermann investigate the supposed murder, placing themselves in a precarious position with the leaders of the community – in particular Mayor Lueger. Becaus
Ronald Fischman
Mar 13, 2013 Ronald Fischman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't tell you that I read this novel for my usual reason - as anyone who follows my reviews knows, I'm trying to help other new authors and to build the "platform" of people who would be interested in reading my own historical novel, 3 Through History, also available at Amazon. Frank Tallis doesn't need my review, but it turned out that I needed to read his book!

Tallis's Vienna is the city of Mahler and Freud, where the forensic psychiatrist and the detective were using psychiatric tips that
LJ
First Sentence: The lord marshal and the lord chamberlain, Prince Rudolf Liechtenstein, were observing Emperor Franz Joseph from the staircase.

1903 Vienna is a city of great learning, enlightenment, technological advancements, beauty, art and culture. It is also a city whose subtext of politics, antisemitism and peril grows with each day. Diva Ida Rosenkranz of the Vienna Opera is dead. Although her doctor proclaims it suicide due to an overdose of laudanum, DI Rheinhardt differs and proclaims i
Casey Mead
Jan 02, 2013 Casey Mead rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. I love historical fiction and mystery, and it's great when they're combined. This is the 6th book in the Max Liebermann series, but I never really felt lost or like I was missing anything from previous books.
Vienna's top diva dies and detective inspector Oskar Reinhardt is on the case. Although it looks like suicide he suspects otherwise and asks psychologist Max Liebermann to assist him in finding the case.. The characters in the story we
Cheryl Scott
Feb 28, 2013 Cheryl Scott rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery & historical fiction readers, music lovers
Recommended to Cheryl by: First Reads Win
Pitch perfect historical mystery! I won this book in First Reads, and I just love it!

Fin-de-siecle Vienna lives and so do the characters.

'Death and the Maiden' unravels the mystery surrounding the death of a beautiful opera star. The events unfold in a vividly realized Vienna among people for whom love and knowledge of music are deep and essential components of their identities.

This book is satisfying on so many levels. Death and the Maiden offers many of the joys of general and literary fictio
DGT
Aug 02, 2015 DGT rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder and Music or "It's always a question of genitals."

As in the other Max Liebermann detective novels, set in early twentieth-century Vienna, Sigmund Freud is in the background, though he appears occasionally as Liebermann’s mentor. Infantile sexuality and, more generally, a psychoanalytic explanation of criminal motivation are woven into the investigations of, primarily, the murder of Ida Rosenkrantz, a diva of the court opera (in which “the claque” may or may not be critical), and, secondar
Cerisaye
Jan 12, 2015 Cerisaye rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read all the Liebermann novels over the past month and this review covers the whole series.

What can I say, each book in this engaging series gets better. If you read detective novels purely for the mystery element then the Liebermann books might not be to your taste because the crimes are not really their primary focus. You don't have to read the series in order but I am glad I did, to follow the development of the characters and their personal relationships that underpins the crimes they
Jane
I couldn't resist this because of the title [sans Schubert!] and my love of music. It was a musical mystery in which an opera diva in fin de siecle Vienna is killed. Detective Inspector Rheinhardt and the psychiatrist Dr. Max Liebermann set out to solve the murder. The story bogged down for awhile after starting strong, but picked up again. It seemed for a long stretch of the book all the two protagonists did was smoke cigars and eat those fluffy Viennese pastries. Oskar Rheinhardt [a sort of Vi ...more
Feb 16, 2013 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tallis is totally hit or miss, and this one is a hit. Lots of great characters, glimpses into the musical and food scenes of Vienna, you can tell he did a lot of research, and the writing is less grinding than usual. Two things I wish he would have avoided: a) the sexual dumplings, and b) all the dithering Liebermann does over Amelia Lydgate. JUST KISS HER ALREADY OK AND LET'S GET ON WITH THE BOOK.
Mary Ann
As I read this book, I kept hoping that it would get to the "mystery" part of the story. First time reading this author, and I guess it is okay, if you are looking for a lot of filler around your mystery. Too many distractions, about so many other different subjects. I do appreciate the opportunity to have received this thru "firstreads".
Susan McDuffie
Nov 27, 2012 Susan McDuffie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the Max Liebermann mysteries and a bad cold last week gave me the perfect excuse to spend an afternoon reading this one--what a pleasure to be whisked away to Vienna for the day!
Daniele
Mar 07, 2013 Daniele rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always enjoyed this series, and this selection did not disappoint. Vienna and Opera with plenty of psychology.
Gloria Feit
Mar 21, 2013 Gloria Feit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The psychoanalyst Max Liebermann/detective Oskar Rheinhardt series continues in old Vienna with the discovery of a renowned opera singer dead, an apparent suicide. Except that the detective doesn’t like the way she is lying on a rug. It seems too neat. So he continues to look into the matter, and the autopsy confirms his suspicion: she was murdered.

In the course of their investigations, Max (and the author) are given many opportunities to exhibit their interest in music, including visits to the
Diane
Mar 31, 2016 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Set in early 20th century Vienna, this mystery focuses on the mysterious and untimely death of a popular opera singer. Detective Rheinhardt investigates, assisted by the psychiatrist Max Liebermann. This novel brings in more of the era's politics than other novels in the series, but the author does a good job of including this material. The author also does a good job of evoking the period and setting, and strikes a good balance between a fast-paced plot and strong character development.
Linda Munro
Mar 20, 2015 Linda Munro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I found this book while entering contests at goodreads.com; although I did not win, I found a copy in the local library system.

I found this to be an 'old-fashioned' mystery, similar to the mysteries of my youth (meaning less mystery than we find today); that was a draw in itself, a reminder of simpler times. However, the historical information was brought about in a most interesting way; as a crucial part of the story line.

Set in Austria near the turn of the (20th) century, the novel explor
Cátia Santos
Aug 22, 2012 Cátia Santos rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012-reads
Quando consegui adquirir este livro deixei logo de lado as outras leituras do momento tal era a minha ansiedade em ler mais uma aventura do Dr.Liebermann!
E apesar de não ter achado o mistério tão intrigante como em outros livros, mesmo assim foi interessante e prendeu a minha atenção até ao fim do livro.
Mas as outras características que gosto tanto neste autor continuam presentes: a escrita fluída e envolvente, a forma inteligente como o mesmo desenvolve e apresenta as suas histórias, as inúmer
Mark
Oct 15, 2015 Mark rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A psychological murder mystery set in late 19th century, early 20th century Vienna, this novel includes some interesting historical figures. Gustav Mahler is brought to life as is Sigmund Freud. The undercurrents of a decaying empire and the seeds for the third Reich are all in this tapestry. As a result of this novel, I did some research as to was Mahler really like this? And it turns out, Mr. Tallis nailed it. Read it and find out for yourself. Meanwhile, I shall have to read more Tallis novel ...more
Michael
Nov 21, 2012 Michael rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book for free through the Goodreads First Reads program.

This if the first book in the Max Liebermann series that I have read. This is the sixth book in the series and I do not remember any references to things that had happened in earlier books so you could start with this one and not be in the dark when mentions are made about happenings in earlier books like some series do.

The story revolves around the death of Ida Rosenkrantz, an opera singer for Vienna's Court Opera. Max and
Zoe Glanville
Sep 05, 2015 Zoe Glanville rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read all the books so far in the series and have been enthralled by the excellent plot the remarkable and devious characters loved every little twist and turn. Utterly enthralling the only downside is that every book I read made me want to eat cake... This book should not be read whilst on a diet hehe loved it
Paulrus
Mystery set in Vienna. Not too many twists and turns with respect to the main story, but some of the subplots are interesting (even if they don't do anything to push the main story forward).
Maphead
A pleasant surprise. Set in the Vienna of Freud and Mahler, Tallis' employment of two equal and complimentary protagonists reminded me of Patrick O'Brian's Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin.
Thiery
Apr 22, 2016 Thiery rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dernier tome des aventures de Reinhart et Liebermann. Ah, la ville de Vienne et les pâtisseries vont beaucoup me manquer.
Jay Cardam
Really enjoyed the Vienna in this book. The plot was fine, but it is fin de sicle Vienna that is the real star. Very enjoyable.
Cynthia
Feb 13, 2016 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So very sad that this is the last book in the Liebermann Papers. Here's hoping Dr. Tallis takes up his quill again soon to regale us with more adventures of Dr. Liebermann, Det. Inspector Rheinhardt, and Miss Amelia Lydgate.
Phyllis Bismanovsky
Other opera mystery. Love the writing style. Not happy about the setting. Just not found of pre WWII Austria. Duh.
  • The Blood of Lorraine: A Novel
  • Anything but Civil (Hattie Davish Mystery, #2)
  • The Burgundian's Tale (Roger the Chapman, #14)
  • Sleep of Death (Shakespearean Murder, #1)
  • Egypt: the Book of Chaos (Rai Rahotep, #3)
  • The Demon's Parchment (Crispin Guest, #3)
  • A Cruel Deceit (Lieutenant Bak, #6)
  • The Astronomer
  • Death of a Chancellor (Lord Francis Powerscourt, #4)
  • The Sweet Smell of Decay
  • Sorrow Without End (Medieval Mystery, #3)
  • When Falcons Fall (Sebastian St. Cyr, #11)
  • The Season of the Hyaena (Egyptian Mysteries, #2)
  • Secret of the White Rose (Simon Ziele, #3)
  • The Damascened Blade (Joe Sandilands, #3)
  • The Chatelet Apprentice (Nicolas Le Floch, #1)
Aka F.R. Tallis.

Dr. Frank Tallis is a writer and clinical psychologist. He has held lecturing posts in clinical psychology and neuroscience at the Institute of Psychiatry and King's College, London. He has written self help manuals (How to Stop Worrying, Understanding Obsessions and Compulsions) non-fiction for the general reader (Changing Minds, Hidden Minds, Love Sick), academic text books and o
More about Frank Tallis...

Liebermann Papers (6 books)
  • A Death in Vienna (Liebermann Papers, #1)
  • Vienna Blood (Liebermann Papers, #2)
  • Fatal Lies (Liebermann Papers, #3)
  • Darkness Rising (Liebermann Papers, #4)
  • Deadly Communion (Liebermann Papers, #5)