Second Wind

Second Wind

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  38 reviews
Ben is a 32 year old accountant who's just been dumped from a nine year relationship with Paul. Paul is a 40 something year old who's midlife crisis includes a 22 year old to sleep with. Ben bought a beautiful 3 bedroom home in the suburbs after he was thrown out. Now bring in Joey, a 28 year old widower with an 20 month old son who's from a huge Catholic Italian family wh...more
free online fiction, 550 pages
Published 2005

To ask other readers questions about Second Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Wind

Evenfall by Santino HassellThe Student Prince by FayJayThe Violet and the Tom by Eve OcotilloAfterimage by Santino HassellHeart in Hand by salifiable
Favorite Unpublished M/M Stories
24th out of 276 books — 977 voters
Bear, Otter, and the Kid by T.J. KluneFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsDuty & Devotion by Tere MichaelsOne Small Thing by Piper VaughnWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best Gay Books Dealing With Children
50th out of 298 books — 425 voters

More lists with this book...

SueM
There is definitely treasure to be found on various free online fiction sites, and this is one of them.

Ben, aged 32, has recently been dumped by his 40 year old partner, Paul, after being together for 10 years. Determined to start anew, he buys a house in suburbia, where he meets Joey, who comes to redesign his new, yet derelict, garden. Joey, 26, is the garden designer in his family-run Garden Nursery business and is the youngest in the family. Joey is also a single father of Connor, a...more
Rossy
Apr 07, 2011 Rossy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: M/M romance fans with some family drama
Recommended to Rossy by: Valentina Heart
Wow this was such a good story! I liked how the child was part of the relationship, not an accessory or an afterthought.
Coming from a big Spanish family i could so relate to the family dynamics presented in the book. The characters were very believable and many of the scenarios were very realistic. I appreciated that while it showed how family can come together when there is love, they also showed how that does not mean that their feelings and views have changed overnight, if at all.
I also enj...more
Valentina Heart
Ben is a bit insecure, very gay and overall amazing. Joey is new to everything involving the same equipment, but incredibly accepting and down to earth despite all the sh*t he has to go through to be happy.
I loved Ben's support and the happy feel with which he relaxed into the relationship despite his past. And I loved the way Joey just took it all in stride, being thankful for another chance in life and not intending to let it slip through his fingers.

It's a story about a big Italian family an...more
Leah
I copied and pasted from Nifty into MS Word and my version was 400 pages. This is a sweet, bumpy, and realistic story. The writing is simple, at times it's repetitive but Ben and Joey's story, their journey of second chances,loss, love, discovery and family LOTS of freaking family is SO SOULFUL the negatives just don't matter. READ it! It's free damn it. :P. http://www.nifty.org/nifty/gay/beginn...
LenaLena
More like 1.5, but who cares? This was long and rambling and don't get me started on the dialog. Besides the 'Yadayadayada, Ben' 'Blahblahblah', Joey' that always drives me nuts, these people didn't so much talk as lecture. Oh, and let's not forget the 20 month old angelic baby boy, whose worst trait is that he fills his diapers, and apart from that he just happily plays with the dog and takes naps, ne'er a tantrum in sight. Hell, if life with a 20 month old was that easy, I'd have a dozen kids...more
Chris
Good m/m romance about a widower with a young son and a conservative family who becomes friends with a gay man and finally acknowledges the feelings he's always had for men. It doesn't go over so well with his family... This story suffered from excessive name use during conversation and could definitely have been shorter, but it was sweet anyway.
Nan* doesn't have enough time to read*
i really enjoyed this book. I just wish this author had written more books because I definately would have read them!

Edina Rose
- Curently reading and so far, it is excellent!
- The fact that the two heroes are average size is great as well. Usually it is the twink and the big guy!!!

- This book is so funny sometimes: look at this:

"So are they having a special here tonight, Paul? Kids get in free when
they bring their fathers?" (says Becky, best friend of Ben, when she sees Paul with his twink in a club. Paul dumped Ben for this 22 yr old twink, a guy half his age)

"Still the charming bitch, Rebecca. No wonder I don't miss y...more
Cindi
This was a really nice story. There were a couple of things that had me shaking my head (view spoiler)...more
karlakolumna
Hmm, I guess, it's rather 2.5 stars -- but annoying and stilted dialogues make for a good reason not to round up...

Joey, a Catholic Italian widower with a baby boy, and Ben, an out and proud gay guy who has recently been dumped by his boyfriend/patrner of 10 years, meet and soon find themselves falling in love with each other.
But the desired HEA isn't achieved that easily, since people just keep placing obstacles in their path--mainly there is Joey's Catholic and mostly bigoted family, a family...more
Raevyn
I absolutely loved this book. It is written in 1st person, which I typically don't like because you only get one pov. However, this is written in both the main characters' pov, switching within each chapter. There was some overlap, but it was nice to see it through another set of eyes.

The book is about Joey and Ben; their first meeting, their friendship, them falling in love and all of the things they have to deal with. There is a full cast of secondary characters (more than most books), but it...more
Katharina
I definitely liked this book! Which is a bit curious, because sometimes the writing seemed a bit off to me, and the phrasing in general just wasn't ... well very polished. And this usually throws me off pretty fast.
The plot of the story, though, was really amazing; I loved Ben and Joey and I keep coming back to this story every once in a while because it's just so great seeing them come together despite all the adverse reactions in their (Joey's) environment. Because of that, I just have to give...more
Aera
made me tear up...in the coming out novel way...rather than the romance novel way. Rather a romance it's definitely a "coming out" story. What was interesting is that I never got the feeling Joey and Ben were not going to be together forever in the end. Probably because this was more a "coming out" rather than a romance where the main plot is "he loves me, or doesn't he". The homophobic parts were in full swing in this book. It was quite interesting. Honestly some things weren't wrapped up, but...more
Perpetua
This was really fantastic!
jules0623
♥Xeni♥
So, I got about twenty percent and then I had to give it up. I really cannot beleive how stilted the dialogue is... And it just gets worse and worse. If you're going to set up a character to make super huge blunders you need to do it properly: subtly! Making a character bring up a very sensitive subject and then two lines later say "I'm sorry. I understand." and then stop talking about it is NOT subtle. Making said character repeat this same interaction more times than I can count just means you...more
Cyndi
Hmmm...where to even start on a review for this. I love to read stories where I get so caught up in the characters and the story that they become a part of my life while I am reading about theirs. I loved the MCs and enjoyed their love, I enjoyed the secondary characters (Becky, James), and the sub-plot line involving James. It's hard to read about bigots, and even though there are several in this book, some actually become more enlightened even though the struggle all the way through it. I did...more
LutaWolf
This is a thought provoking, captivating story. It’s not for those that want a short story and an hour of none think time. Because this is an actual BOOK. It’s not just a romance. While I like fluff pieces (a lot), I truly love stories such as these. I would have to take time outs from reading just to digest what I read and to really think about how that made me feel and what would I do if I were in that position. I would wonder if I could understand the character, though maybe not agree, could...more
Tadamono
I really liked this book (the storyline and the characters) but there were a few things that bugged me.
1. There were long sections of dialogue with no narration whatsoever. Narration would have made it easier and more enjoyable to read.
2. The characters kept saying each others' names (i.e. "Well, Bob, I'm not sure how I'm going to solve this problem"). People don't talk like that in real life. You may say someone's name to get his/her attention, but generally not in the middle of talking.
3. I kn...more
I really enjoyed this read overall. The story developed very nicely, wasn't rushed at all and just felt very real.
But you notice that it never went through professional editing with some of the dialogues feeling a bit forced.
I also found it a bit annoying how they really spelt out every feeling, talking about EVERYTHING that was going on which I didn't like because it was just a bit much, mainly because most times their motivations and feelings were already obvious and really didn't need to be v...more
Vanessa
An amazing in depth story that carries you along.

Awesome
Bookbee
3.5 Stars

Interesting story, complex characters and a plot that isn't completely resolved, just like real life.

There are definitely issues with the story though...stilted dialogue being a big one. Also, I had a hard time with some of the (verbal) interaction between the 2 MCs and the 15 year old nephew near the end of the book. Yeah, totally unbelievable and definitely not appropriate particularly considering the Napoli family's beliefs regarding gay people.
Janie
I was addicted. Once I started reading I couldn't stop. This story was beautiful and amazing! I thought each and every character were written so well that I loved the characters I even hated. Ben and Joey were wonderful together and the sex was HOT!!! I absolutely loved that James was gay and found a loving mentor style relationship with Joey and Ben and I was thoroughly pleased when the author gave him Jared. And who couldn't love little Conner! Wonderful book!!
Vanessa
Ben's lover of almost ten years, Paul, going through a mid-life crisis falls for someone younger. He kicks Ben to the curb rather harshly.

Joey is a young widower, with a small son. He never ever thought he might be gay, because he had been so in love with his wife. He had grown up loving only her, so when he meets Ben, sparks fall. Not only between the two men, but, with his rather large Italian family.
B.
This was a pretty good read. It focused on love and not just on gay love. I really liked the author seemed to be trying to teach acceptance with this story, because a lot of people still think in ignorant, simple, terms when it comes to homosexuality. Felt a bit odd at the end, like it ran out of steam, but it was still a good read to pass the time with.
janine
A realistic story about Ben Donnely a gay man whom just been dumped by his boyfriend of 10 years. He has trouble getting on with his live but then he meets Joey an italian widower with a son and a big family who thinks that being gay is right op there with being a mass murderer. Will love conquere all? I suggest you read and find out.....
Grandmat
Very, very long story which I enjoyed. Although it felt a bit preachy in places, the multiple characters, extended family were well fleshed out. There are several story threads, giving an enjoyable complexity.
JoAnn
It is a long story and having to read it online was not always convenient. It was a true romance book with a lot of angst thrown in. It is an older book (2005) so there were some references that made me chuckle but all-in-all, I completely and thoroughly loved this story.
Dallison
This was an excellent book. I loved it. It was great reading about some of the local places in New Jersey. I really loved how the author gave the pov of both characters. I would love to read James and Jared's story.
  • Shades of Gray (Shades Of Gray #1)
  • It Started with Brian