Start by marking “The Kite Runner” as Want to Read:
The Kite Runner

Read Excerpt* *Different edition

The Kite Runner

4.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,651,310 Ratings  ·  53,786 Reviews
Winter, 1975: Afghanistan, a country on the verge of an internal coup. 12-year-old Amir is desperate to win the approval of his father, one of the richest merchants in Kabul. He's failed to do so through academia or brawn but the one area they connect is the annual kite fighting tournament.
Published November 6th 2006 by Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (first published May 29th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Kite Runner, please sign up.

Phil Laurette It depends on the young adult. There are a number of disturbing events including rape, brutal beatings and public executions. These things are…moreIt depends on the young adult. There are a number of disturbing events including rape, brutal beatings and public executions. These things are uncomfortable for adults to read and although it is a work of fiction it is written in such a graphic and believable voice that it is hard to separate yourself from the idea that it is based on actual events. You really have to decide for yourself whether your young adult is mature enough to digest such possible realities. I read it myself before allowing my kids to read it and for me my 15 year old could handle it but many could not. Definitely not a "fun" novel to read purely for pleasure.(less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Srushty I have always wondered the same . however i think Amir would have done nothing to save hassan . because Amir was a coward . Next he was always jealous…moreI have always wondered the same . however i think Amir would have done nothing to save hassan . because Amir was a coward . Next he was always jealous of the attention hasan received from their father the fact that he was really his brother would have just fueled it !(less)
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur GoldenThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Angel's Game by Carlos Ruiz ZafónOutlander by Diana GabaldonThe Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
Summer Reading Books!
7th out of 83 books — 25 voters
The Book Thief by Markus ZusakOutlander by Diana GabaldonFangirl by Rainbow RowellEleanor & Park by Rainbow RowellPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Dymocks 101 2015
43rd out of 100 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Britta
Jan 10, 2008 Britta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"For you, a thousand times over."

"Children aren't coloring books. You don't get to fill them with your favorite colors."

"...attention shifted to him like sunflowers turning to the sun."

"But even when he wasn't around, he was."

"When you kill a man, you steal a life. You steal a wife's right to a husband, rob his children of a father. When you tell a lie, you steal someone's right to the truth. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness. There is no act more wretched than stealing."

"...she ha
Chris
Dec 06, 2013 Chris rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Monkeys
Recommended to Chris by: Everyone
Shelves: unfinished, poop
I became what I am today at the age of twenty-nine, on a frigid overcast day in the winter of 2008.

What I am about to tell you about what I became is going to be very shocking. It is going to manipulate your emotions. It may include some random words in my native language for no reason whatsoever. It will teach you unnecessary things about my culture. It will not be smarter than a fifth grader. And it will include as many cliches and as much foreshadowing as is humanly possible.

You are going t
Farshad Firuzi
Mar 19, 2016 Farshad Firuzi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In 2012, when I was Mathematics teacher at a private high school in Iran, I had an Afghan student in my class. Sometimes, I discussed with my students about literature and I told them from novels and poetry. I found it very strange that my students had no interest in literature and even sometimes looked with scorn to this discussion. Days passed and much time was left to the end of school year. One day I saw Ali, Afghan student, came to me and was a booklet in his hand and I saw in his eyes seve ...more
Linda
Jul 22, 2011 Linda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Can't really recommend it, I'm sorry.
Shelves: fiction
Finished this book about a month ago but it's taken me this long to write a review about it because I have such mixed feelings about it. It was a deeply affecting novel, but mostly not in a good way. I really wanted to like it, but the more I think about what I didn't like about the book, the more it bothers me. I even downgraded this review from two stars to one from the time I started writing it to the time I finished.

Let's start off with the good, shall we? The writing itself was pretty good
J.G. Keely
This is the sort of book White America reads to feel worldly. Just like the spate of Native American pop fiction in the late eighties, this is overwhelmingly colonized literature, in that it pretends to reveal some aspect of the 'other' culture, but on closer inspection (aside from the occasional tidbit) it is a thoroughly western story, firmly ensconced in the western tradition.

Even those tidbits Hosseini gives are of such a vague degree that to be impressed by them, one would have to have alm
Raeleen Lemay
I'm really mad at myself for taking so long to read this. SUCH a good book, and while it may not be worthy of 5 stars for me, I really did love it and it broke my heart a hundred times. I look forward to reading Hosseini's other books, most likely this year.
Matt
Jan 18, 2008 Matt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who slurp up 'chicken soup for the soul' books
i really wanted to like this novel. judging from its thousands of 'five-star reviews' hailing it as the one of the 'best books ever written,' i'm in the minority when i state that this novel, while well-intentioned, just left a little bit of sour taste in my mouth.

my problems with the novel are as follows: first of all the writing itself is so ham-fistened, heavy-handed, distracting and otherwise puzzling that by the midway point, i seriously considered chucking the book against the wall. each
Naeem
Dec 22, 2007 Naeem rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone wanting to keep their blinders on
I found this book a failure of courage and imagination -- all the more upsetting for the author's astute sense of detail and wonderful psychological depth. But ask yourself this: if the Taliban are real humans than why are they not represented as such? No doubt we will all love the movie as well.

If you want to read a book on Afghanistan, I recommend Jason Elliot's An Unexpected Light.

Below is my complete review:

I started out loving this book. Hosseini is dead on target in his depiction of childr
La Petite Américaine
Jun 14, 2008 La Petite Américaine added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Morons Who Enjoy This Kind of Crap
After pondering long and hard, I'm going to try now to articulate just what it was about this book that sucked so much, why it has offended me so greatly, and why its popularity has enraged me even more. This book blew so much that I've been inspired to start my own website of book reviews for non-morons. So let us explore why.

First, let's deal with the writer himself. Hosseini's father worked for Western companies while in Afghasnistan. While daddy (who I am guessing, from Hosseini's tragic ac
Stephen
I liked this book a lot. Due to the uncomfortable nature of the story told, I'll probably never read it again, but I'm glad that I did read it once. I saw it as the story of one not very likeable boy growing up in a soon to be war torn region and his eventual struggle for redemption.

I was quite surprised to see how popular some of the negative reviews of this book were and I'd like to comment on a few of the comments they contained.

One condemnatory critic said "This is the sort of book White A
Basuhi
Sep 12, 2013 Basuhi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone, everywhere, if you are human.
Shelves: books-i-own

Before I started this book, I distinctively remember running my hands over the cover, over the embossed letters that read, The Kite Runner, with not a thought spared but just a sense of hope and anticipation.

Now, after I've finished it, I'm once again running my hands over them.
Those letters that read, The Kite Runner.
Those letters that mean a lot more than what they seemed to a few days ago.

Oh.

This is just a tiny fraction of "Oh"s that I felt during my journey through this
Afshar
Apr 18, 2016 Afshar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
آرامش پیچاندن پیچ زندگی در پایین ترین حد است
سکوت خاموش کردن آن پیچ است.بستن آن است،بستن تمام آن

تمام ستارگان آسمان برای کتاب هایی مثل بادبادک باز ، همسایه ها و ... که از واقعیات زندگی مردم و دردهایشان می گویند کم است و توهین آمیز
این پنج ستاره هم به سرنوشت من دچار شده اند و از پس تعریف بادبادک باز بر نمی آیند

در آغاز جملاتی از کتاب می آورم و بعد به چیزهایی که هنگام خواندن کتاب فکرم را مشغول می کردند خواهم پرداخت

اولین بار در این کتاب بود که اسم هزاره رو از سربازی افغانی شنیدم و اول فکر کردم حتما نا
Linda
May 29, 2007 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fiction
So I started Kite Runner two nights ago after finishing Blink. It took me a week or so with Blink since I wasn’t very enthralled, making it easier to put it down at night when it was my bed time.

Kite Runner, I started over a long weekend and could not for the life of me put it down. I was so hooked I even found myself reading Bing’s copy when I was over at Deesh and Bing’s this weekend playing an invigorating (and might I add victorious) game of girls vs. boys Cranium and then Cheez Geek (Cheez
Rola
Dec 02, 2014 Rola rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
عانيت كثيرا من ضيق فى التنفس أثناء قراءتى لهذه الرواية , و خصوصا الجزء الأول, الأمر الذى كان له أثر على معدل قراءتى لها حتى اكتشفت أن ما اعترانى لم تكن حالة مرضية و إنما من فرط حبس أنفاسي خلال القراءة لهفة و شوقا إلى متابعة الأحداث *
*حدث بالفعل

ملاحظاتى العامة عن الرواية كانت فى تفوق جزئها الأول كثيرا عن أجزاء خروج البطل من دياره , و التى تحولت الأحداث فيها أحيانا إلى أحداثا عادية مكملة فقط للحكاية , و أحداثا أخرى توقعتها و أشعرتنى كأننى أشاهد "فيلما هنديا" مبالغا بعض الشئ.

هى رواية عن الوعود و
MJ Nicholls
Nov 13, 2014 MJ Nicholls marked it as getting-even  ·  review of another edition
This is one strain of the virus we call Middlebrow Literature. Issuetastic fiction that turns up-to-date, politically loaded topical material into powerful works of stating the obvious whose aim is to educate the Uninformed or Casually Interested Westerner in the ways of another culture at a time when that culture or nation is under scrutiny, or has the western gaze upon it and needs to answer for itself in an accessible and heart-tugging manner. Now and then we will accept literature from far-o ...more
Jackie Gill
May 15, 2008 Jackie Gill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: "Simple People"
Recommended to Jackie by: Masses of "Simple People"
Shelves: just-read
Henry Avila
Mar 14, 2016 Henry Avila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Amir, a little boy growing up in the early 1970's in Kabul, the capital of Afghanistan, has the idyllic life, a wealthy father Baba, a widower, the mother died giving birth to Amir, he believes, the father hates him for that, in the most beautiful house some say in the city, a great friend Hassan, the son of Ali, a servant and loyal to the family. Baba and Ali had been friends too in childhood, strange since Hassan's father is just a Hazara (Mongol), Hassan's promiscuous mother, had left them to
Mystique
Feb 24, 2008 Mystique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mystique by: Melissa Coworker
I have some criticisms for this book, but because I chewed through it in such a short amount of time, I'll start with what I like and move to the criticisms.

I did NOT want to like this book. I am one of those annoying people who wants to dislike what everyone else likes, and wants to like what everyone else dislikes. Usually, this works out for me without effort; however, in the world of literature there are occasions that it does not. This was one of those occasions.

The book was brutally heartb
ليلى المطوع
رميت الكتاب جانبا وقلت لن اكمله وبكيت
لا احد يستطيع ذرف دموعي كما يفعل خالد حسيني

هو وحده من يستطيع ان يقلق القارئ ويبكيه على بطل من ورق

وهذا ما فعله معي ولو كان للكتاب ملامح لارأيت شفتيه ترسمان ابتسامة كيرياء وهو يلمحني امد يدي واقرأ ماالذي حدث مع أمير

كلما قلت لن اكمل الرواية بسبب ماتسببه لي من ألم وحزن اجد نفسي بعد لحظات اعود لها

جميلة جدا هذه الرواية ومن اروع ما قرأت

****

من كثر ما اضاع خالد حسيني عقلي رحت فتحت التقرير وكتبته واكتشفت اخر شي اني حطيت التقرير تحت روايتي

الله يسامحك يا خالد حسيني
Raghad Frehat
postimage
"لاجلك الف مرة ومرة "

الامل ,الفرح ,الحزن .اليأس ,الحرب .الظلم , الخوف ,التوبة ,القوة , الضعف
كل هذا مجتمع في هذه الرواية
اتحداك ان تنسى هذه الرواية
.هل تعرف الروايات التي تبقى عالقة في ذهنك ولا تنساها ولو قرأت فوقها مليون كتاب؟انها منها
هل تعرف الروايات التي يدق قلبك فيها بشدة وانت تقرأ ؟انها منها
شاهدت الفيلم بعد انتهائي .تأثرت بالرواية بشكل كبير,ولم يقل تأثري عند مشاهدتي للفيلم
مشاعري وانا اقرأ كانت متناقضة,اريد ان اقرأ بسرعة لأعرف ما سيحصل .ولا اريد ان اقرأ بسرعة لأني لا اريد انهائها
هذه تحفة ف
Sammy
Jun 12, 2007 Sammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-the-best
What a powerful story. I didn't think I was going to like this book as much as I did... but I really did. I got so involved in this book that my emotions were going haywire. Not just feeling happy and sad as you do with most books, but feeling anxious and angry and dissappointed. Everything these characters felt I began to feel. That's definitely the mark of a great novel and a great writer.

One thing I think this novel really does is shed light on a situation we really don't know all that much a
Will Byrnes
Jan 07, 2015 Will Byrnes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful, moving novel set in the Afghanistan of the early 70’s and of today, about a young boy and his friend growing up in Kabul. Amir desperately wants his father’s approval, but Baba is not quick to give it. He is a rich man, brimming with macho vibrancy, while his son is a different sort altogether. Amir is fast friends with Hassan, the son of his father’s servant. They are as close as brothers. But, beset by bullies, an event occurs that changes Amir’s life. There is much death ...more
Roos
May 24, 2008 Roos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Roos by: my friends
Shelves: booker, furious
Speechless when I'm finished this book...
Cried when read Hassan's letters to Amir
Adored what Hassan and Baba did to Amir
Excited during my journey to Kabul
Confused when I want to make a review

Hoalah....

Buku ini bikin aku nangis tengah malam, bikin aku bangun kesiangan, bikin mataku bengkak pagi-pagi, bikin gak konsen saat kerja...dan bikin aku bingung mau ngereview apa...dah menguras airmata, menguras emosi dan menguras konsentrasi...karena begitu membaca gak bisa naruh lagi bukunya....pikiran se
Ahmed Ibrahim
هل تعلم يا صديقى هذا النوع من الروايات التى لا تستطيع الفرار منها ؟ .. كلما حاولت الابتعاد ، تدنو هى منك .. تحاول نسيانها ، فتتدافع كل تفاصيلها فى ذاكرتك ، كما قرأتها .
" إنها قصة لا تنسى ، تظل معك لسنوات .. إنها قوية لحد جعل كل ما قرأته بعدها ، ولفترة طويلة ، يبدو بلا طعم "
إزابيل ألليندى
هل تعرفه ؟
الحقيقة أنك لم تعرفه بعد ولن تعرفه ما لم تقرأ هذه الرائعة .

" لأجلك ألف مرة ومرة "
إحساس غريب ينتابنى عند قراءة هذه الجملة، حاله من الفرح، ورغبة فى البكاء .. الحقيقة لا أعرف ما هو شعورى حينها

الجزء ا
Lynne King
Feb 24, 2013 Lynne King rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third in my top favourite books of all time. If I could give it more than five stars I would.

I read this book, and after closing my Kindle, my immediate thought was what a fabulous book. But why did I like it so much? I guess it was a number of things. It has all the ingredients of a great book: loyalty, weakness, betrayal, guilt, lies, sex, secrets, violence, an attempted suicide and finally love coupled with justice.

Firstly, it’s a social document covering the period 1975, followed
Maciek
Because The Kite Runner is adored by approximately 110% of those who have read it, I decided to read the thing myself. After thousands of enthusiastic reviews I had pretty high expectations which the book ultimately did not meet.

The Kite Runner is a pretty simple story; how one event can change a whole life - sort of stuff Ian McEwan specialises in. Hosseini is big in foreshadowing - he certainly won't let you forget that A Terrible Event is going to happen on That Day of That Year, but before g
Heba Nouraldeen
Mar 05, 2016 Heba Nouraldeen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Heba by: عَـدن
Shelves: favorites, humanity
أن يهديك القدر رفيقاً لا يطالبك بشىء سوى أن تكون بخير وكل مرة يُردد على مسامعك
لأجلك ألف مرة أخرى
يتمنى لو يسلبك حزنك ودوماً ستجده بجانبك يُشاطرك سعادتك
يقرأ أفكارك ويعرف دوماً ما تحتاج
يتأهب على الدوام للتضحية بحياته مقابل الحفاظ على حياتك..يحبك كما لن يحبك أحد ثانية..
تشبث بكلتا يديه ..إياك تفلت أياً منهما ..
لا تُخادعه ..إياك وخيانته...لا تفارقه ....
أو تدري امراً لو إنك فعلت لا تظن إنه يمكنك المُضي قُدماً دون أن يُلاحقك وجعاً لن يمكنك الهروب منه ..يتبعك كظلك يستحيل تجاوزه
عداء الطائرة الورقية ك
Ahmed
Apr 09, 2016 Ahmed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

ببساطة مطلقه : هناك نوع من الأدب يجبرك على أن تكره الكتابه والقراءة
لان هذا النوع يضعك فى مواجهة الواقع القمئ الذي تتجاهله انت بكل خسه

نوع يضعك فى مواجهة معاناة البشر ويجعلك تتضافر معه وتتفاعل مع احداثه
نوع يجعلك اكثر ايجايبيه وتخرج من برجك العاجى لتنزل الى ارض واقع اخترت انت ان تتجاهل وجوده او على اكبر تقدير تتأثر بمشهد تراه امامك على شاشة التلفاز لتنساه بعدها بخمس دقائق وانت تشاهد فيلم او رياضه ما.

هذا العمل يصدمك ويذكرك بانسانيتك المنسيهليقول لك استيقظ فهناك بشر آخرون يعيشون فى هذا العالم .

بشر ي
Jason Koivu
Apr 20, 2016 Jason Koivu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The kite is the only thing that soars in The Kite Runner, a good book with some tired plot devices.

Entertaining? Sure. The story keeps up a good pace. However, it's a story I feel I've already read, seen and heard countless times and often it was done better. Scenes that are supposed to be movingly emotional seem straight out of the introductory class Dramatic Storytelling 101. The trying-too-hard-to-paint-a-picture Afghan details are placed before the reader like props instead of blending into
Ravi
May 02, 2007 Ravi rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Masochists
In the wake of the Fraud of Small Things, tons of Asian writers with their impossibly exotic backgrounds and compellingly interesting lives have become all the rage in the publishing world. And of course, it doesn't get more exotic than Afghanistan these days. Khalid Hosseini rides the wave for what its worth churning out a predictable piece of semi-literate garbage — the sort that will appeal only to fellow Afghani nostalgia hounds — the small proportion of whom believe books are better read th ...more
EVERYONE Has Read...: Kite Runner Discussion 12 24 Jun 18, 2016 10:42PM
Around the Year i...: The Kite Runner, by Khaled Hosseini 22 97 Jun 17, 2016 08:13AM
The kite runner book club discussion 7 62 Jun 15, 2016 11:43PM
Compañeros de lec...: MC. Cometas en el cielo de Khaled Hosseini 25 22 Jun 08, 2016 07:11PM
The Kite Runner 1 18 Jun 07, 2016 03:19PM
  • The Namesake
  • Plainsong (Plainsong, #1)
  • The Samurai's Garden
  • Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
  • The Hungry Tide
  • Pigs in Heaven
  • A Walk Across the Sun
  • The Secret Life of Bees
  • Prisoner of Tehran: A Memoir
  • Tales of Passion, Tales of Woe (Josephine Bonaparte, #2)
  • The Other Boleyn Girl (The Tudor Court, #3)
  • The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East
  • The Birth House
  • The Kitchen God's Wife
  • The Red Tent
  • I Know This Much Is True
  • The Art of Racing in the Rain
  • Het huis van de moskee
Hosseini was born in Kabul, Afghanistan, in 1965. In 1970 Hosseini and his family moved to Iran where his father worked for the Embassy of Afghanistan in Tehran. In 1973 Hosseini's family returned to Kabul, and Hosseini's youngest brother was born in July of that year.
In 1976, when Hosseini was 11 years old, Hosseini's father obtained a job in Paris, France, and moved the family there. They were u
More about Khaled Hosseini...

“It may be unfair, but what happens in a few days, sometimes even a single day, can change the course of a whole lifetime...” 5388 likes
“For you, a thousand times over” 5152 likes