Start by marking “The Trusted Advisor” as Want to Read:
The Trusted Advisor

The Trusted Advisor

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,259 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
Bestselling author David Maister teams up with Charles H. Green and Robert M. Galford to bring us the essential tool for all consultants, negotiators, and advisors.

In today's fast-paced networked economy, professionals must work harder than ever to maintain and improve their business skills and knowledge. But technical mastery of one's discipline is not enough, assert worl
Published October 9th 2001 by Free Press (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Trusted Advisor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Trusted Advisor

Garrett Jackson
Oct 04, 2015 Garrett Jackson rated it it was ok
This book was important to me for one reason. It's summed up in this one quote, "The right to solve problems is earned by informed listening, which in turn is driven by curiosity."

It emphasized that trust, relationships and friendship require earning it. People don't want you to solve their problems unless they give you the right to solve them. That principle pretty much guides the rest of the chapters. The book addresses many different topics that I've run into with clients and supplied me with
Chad Warner
Aug 31, 2015 Chad Warner rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Chad by: Steve VanderVeen
Shelves: non-fiction, business
This should be required reading for consultants and advisors. It explains that getting hired and rehired is about earning trust, and walks through many ways to build trust. There are plenty of real-world examples from the authors, three experienced consultants.

It’s logically organized, and I like how often lists are used.

I read this because I spend a lot of time interacting with clients in running my web design agency, OptimWise.

My favorite points
• Act as if you're advising your parents, not yo
Sokunna
Oct 17, 2016 Sokunna rated it really liked it
Very helpful. The book helps me understand the reasons behind why clients behave the way they behave. By understanding all the rationals behind their actions, it helps me better on how to approach certains aspects and different characteristics.

I would recommend any who work as consultants / advisors to various clients read this. It's pretty enlightening.
Patrick Boyle
The Trusted Advisor by David H. Maister outlines the attributes necessary in order to be a successful and trustworthy advisor to the clients. In the novel, Maiser constructs orderly lists of characteristics that are required in maintaining a strong reputation and relationship. Throughout these lists, Maister discusses tactics such as gaining trust, giving advice, building relationships, ensuring a good experience, and more. The author outlined ways in which advisors are able to accomplish these ...more
Sumit Singla
As a management consultant, this book had some great takeaways for me. It is vital to be seen as a partner and an advisor, rather than only as a subject matter expert, in a client situation. That's the easiest and most sustainable way to build a lasting relationship with a client.

While following the advice in this book may not lead to your client putting your phone on speed dial, it'll get you close... :)
Gregory Peterson
Aug 23, 2010 Gregory Peterson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: professional service firms, consultants
Shelves: consulting
I've been a devotee of "guru to the gurus" David Maister for more than a decade. And when he wrote about the finer points of advice-giving, it became required reading for my staff. Today -- years after its first publication -- this remains a "go to" book for anyone in the advice-giving business.

Remember when management consulting firms were actually hiring people? In those distant days, the New York Times reported a trend of recruiting new consultants not from leading business schools - but fro
Andrea
Dec 03, 2016 Andrea rated it liked it
Some good advice on how to earn and keep your client's trust. None of this was groundbreaking... listen, do what you say you will, be more interested in them and how to solve their problems than you are in making money... etc.
Still a good read, and a good reminder to all professionals that your technical work is only part of your total competency.
Roger Royse
Nov 23, 2016 Roger Royse rated it really liked it
nothing surprising, but good to hear it laid out methodically and helpful to be reminded about what creates trust and and what does not
Taylor McKenna
Oct 21, 2016 Taylor McKenna rated it it was amazing
Highly recommended for all consultants. The importance of listening and asking questions rather than just offering straight up advice and recommendations.
Bailey
Oct 18, 2016 Bailey rated it it was ok
Shelves: school
I did have to read this for a Business 101 class but I think it is kind of pointless. Most of the book was just common sense.
Inder
Dec 12, 2013 Inder rated it liked it
This is a bit of a classic work in the world of consulting/advising, so I feel a bit bad saying that I found most of the contents painfully obvious and a little boring. Perhaps if there had been more real-life examples of the authors' ideas and interesting anecdotes, it would have been more interesting. It felt like "Social Skills 101" for the possibly slightly Aspergers consultant (based on my experience, I'm thinking a very science-y and possibly slightly socially awkward environmental ...more
Bovereem
Mar 03, 2014 Bovereem rated it really liked it
Het verdienen van vertrouwen, effectief adviseren en relaties opbouwen wordt tot de basisvaardigheden van de 'vertrouwde adviseur' gerekend. Centraal in het boek staat de wijze waarop je als adviseur het vertrouwen van een klant kunt verkrijgen en vooral behouden. Hiervoor wordt een vertrouwensformule gegeven, namelijk:

Vertrouwen = Geloofwaardigheid + Betrouwbaarheid + Intimiteit / Egocentriciteit

Hierbij staat geloofwaardigheid voor woorden, betrouwbaarheid voor acties, intimiteit voor emoties e
Paul W
Mar 24, 2016 Paul W rated it liked it
The theme of this book 'is that the key to professional success is not just technical mastery of one's discipline ... but also the ability to work with clients in such a way as to earn their trust and gain their confidence.' To be a trusted advisor you have to care about your clients. Otherwise you are merely a vendor.
The authors liberally provide practical examples of behaviours that can help to build trust and confidence. And in equal measure they remind readers of things we intuitively know.
Shaun
Jan 23, 2014 Shaun rated it it was amazing
I'm in management consulting now for my career and I LOVE it! It's so much fun to collaborate with clients and help them solve their problems. In the field of consulting, becoming a "Trusted Advisor" is critical. It's important to develop trust in business and personal relationships. This book was very inspirational for me, which I gained many insights about trust. I have much to do to be able to be considered a trusted advisor in all my relationships, both business and personal, but I gained a ...more
Joseph
Oct 07, 2011 Joseph rated it it was amazing
This book was the "textbook" for my consulting elective class at RSM. The idea is that the best way to interact with someone else who you are trying to help is to utilize the principles in the book. For my part, I'd say the principles in the book can/should be applied to nearly every relationship.
I really enjoyed the content and appreciated that the author provided all his "lists" of important points as actual lists - saves me the trouble of writing a book review for myself so I can remember wh
Nathanael Coyne
I really enjoyed this book; it helped me be more comfortable with my preference for how I relate with clients and dispelled for me the concept of the ideal consultant being robotic, aloof and "all business".

The book explains what a trusted advisor is, why you should aspire to be one and why you won't always attain that relationship with all clients. The authors then break it down into the four main facets of "trust" and how to establish and demonstrate your credibility, reliability and intimacy,
Ryotaro Nagasawa
Apr 02, 2016 Ryotaro Nagasawa rated it really liked it
Seemed I had registered the wrong one, so I re-post this to the proper one.

Here's my review:

Very useful book, if you use it.
There are so many books out there that help you improve yourself by listening out, not being pushy, asking appropriate questions etc. I've read these types of books a lot so far, still I liked this one.

It's written for those who work in professions that advise people, esp. like consultants, and I'd say what is written here can be applicable to the generic interaction betwee
Tim Wise
Mar 04, 2014 Tim Wise rated it liked it
The trusted advisor was a pretty good read with some excellent advise. It became tedious midway through and hammered home it's points too thoroughly for my taste. The lists were both helpful and too numerous to consume daily. I would prefer a more concise set of points that were shortened a great deal.

Overall, I would recommend the book to most people in business. The root points were solid.
Nhi Hoang
Aug 02, 2016 Nhi Hoang rated it really liked it
This book helps me understand the most important foundation in any relationship given that that is either professional or personal. Interpersonal communication is Art, and we gotta play it cool. The ultimate equation for Trust score is T = (C + R + I)/S in which t = trust, c: credibility, r: reliability, i: intimacy, and s: self-orientation.
I highly recommend this book, especially those who work in Account.
Paul
Apr 01, 2014 Paul rated it liked it
There is a strong undertone of manipulation throughout the book. While much of the advice is honestly very good, that doesn't change the fact that the goal is to get people to trust you. There are frequent admonition a to be sincere, but frankly those come off as an afterthought.

The trust equation was annoying. Trust is not a readily quantifiable measure, nor are any of the constituents of the trust equation. As an engineer I found the pseudo-math annoying in the extreme.
Erin
Sep 11, 2007 Erin rated it really liked it
This book was excellent at explaining the human component of advising. Many of the ideas contained in this book are things that I incorporated in my classroom as a teacher to get students to buy-in to assignments and their education. These ideas were met with great resistance from the "old guard" of teachers. I can only imagine that in the consulting business that the same response comes from the "old guard" of consultants. I'll definitely keep this one on my bookshelf.
Richard Newton
Aug 12, 2015 Richard Newton rated it really liked it
I quite liked this book - certainly more than I expected to. I have rated it 4 stars as a business book, not a work of literature - with all the pitfalls this entails - a large dose of common sense and a degree of the banal. But hey, it's a business book.

It made think about a few of the things I do. I have taken a few lessons from it and will tweak a couple of things I do. And that's about all I expect from this sort of book.
Sergei
Mar 30, 2016 Sergei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book thought me that the real foundation for work is trust, that our worries and fears of not being up to a task, of not knowing something, of being soft, of invading privacy, of touching on sensitive personally-related issues at work are all mostly our egocentricity at play, our self-orientation, rather then a real desire to give and help and build trust-based long lusting relationships.
So it should be less about us, but more about the people on the receiving end.
Quinton
Oct 04, 2011 Quinton rated it really liked it
This was a good read about how to build relationships with your clients, and how to earn their trust. It's all about being sensitive to the client's needs and not just answering their questions, but hearing them out, and helping them through (even if that just means listening to their concerns). It's about building a relationship with the individual. Also, pay attention to the Trust Equation
T=(C+R+I)/S
T=trustworthiness
C=credibility
r=reliability
i=intimacy
s=self-orientation.
Steve
Mar 27, 2013 Steve rated it it was amazing
I first read this book five years ago and just re-read it this time, with a different colored highlighter. Not only was the re-read a great reminder of how well the principles of vulnerability and relationship work to build profitable economic results but how well I've managed to put many of them into practice instinctively now. This should be a regular read for anyone wanting to become that trusted advisor.
Rick Austin
Feb 02, 2014 Rick Austin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this while also reading Getting Naked and found they are so closely related in how they approach being a trusted person that I sometimes forgot which book I was in ;-)

Great read with fantastic advice on how to build trust, have empathy for your customer, and always, always focus on doing what is right for your client.
Sarah Krasin
Apr 21, 2015 Sarah Krasin rated it it was amazing
Are you working as a consultant? Then run, don't walk, to get yourself a copy of this book. The insights may seem simple, but they are profound. And most importantly, they work! "The Trusted Advisor" has started to become something I toss in my carryon along with my suit and toothbrush when I'm traveling to a client meeting.
May
May 26, 2015 May rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, management
I was researching how to "think" about the consulting business. This book had great ways of laying out types of advisors/consultants and thinking through what it meant to be trusted. It's on topic if you're thinking about building a consulting practice or otherwise considering how to build the type of lasting client-base that results in a real practice.
Dan Nielsen
Apr 02, 2015 Dan Nielsen rated it really liked it
Shelves: physical-library
The framework of this book might seem simple, but is very powerful. Throughout the book I could relate to reallife situations, and either understand other peoples behavior, or see how my own could be improved.
The book is intense with many pieces of information, so I think it will need a revisit from time to time.
Nick Argiriou
Aug 14, 2016 Nick Argiriou rated it really liked it
Shelves: business
Ένα παλιό μεν, αλλά με διαχρονικότητα, βιβλίο με εξαιρετικές συμβουλές για όλα τα επαγγέλματα με "συμβουλευτικά χαρακτηριστικά". Έχει αξία εγχειριδίου. Από τα πολύ βασικά βιβλία για κυρίως τους νέους ελεύθερους επαγγελματίες. Από την εποχή που γράφτηκε όμως ως σήμερα το ελεύθερο επάγγελμα έχει αναπτύξει χαρακτηριστικά επιχειρηματικότητας, που δεν ανήκει στα περιεχόμενα αυτού του βιβλίου.
  • Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
  • Million Dollar Consulting: the Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice
  • Networking with the Affluent
  • More Secrets of Consulting: The Consultant's Tool Kit
  • Empowered: Unleash Your Employees, Energize Your Customers, and Transform Your Business
  • Eating the Big Fish: How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders
  • Re-Imagine!: Business Excellence in a Disruptive Age
  • Strategy Safari: A Guided Tour Through The Wilds of Strategic Mangament
  • Free Agent Nation: The Future of Working for Yourself
  • Enterprise 2.0: How to Manage Social Technologies to Transform Your Organization
  • Exceptional Service, Exceptional Profit: The Secrets of Building a Five-Star Customer Service Organization
  • The Future of Management
  • You're in Charge, Now What?: The 8 Point Plan
  • Who's Got Your Back: The Breakthrough Program to Build Deep, Trusting Relationships That Create Success--And Won't Let You Fail
  • Get Clients Now!: A 28-Day Marketing Program for Professionals, Consultants, and Coaches - Third Edition
  • Managing the Unexpected: Resilient Performance in an Age of Uncertainty
  • The Portable Coach: 28 Sure Fire Strategies For Business And Personal Success
  • Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down

“There is an old saying, “It is amazing what you can achieve if you are not wedded to who gets the credit.” The” 0 likes
“life is too short to work on the uninspiring. Being” 0 likes