Start by marking “Educating for Character: How Our Schools Can Teach Respect and Responsibility” as Want to Read:
Educating for Character: How Our Schools Can Teach Respect and Responsibility

Educating for Character: How Our Schools Can Teach Respect and Responsibility

Dr. Lickona's twelve-point program offers practical strategies designed to create a working coalition of parents, teachers, and communities in the interest of building character into the lives of young people today.
Published September 2nd 2009 by Bantam (first published October 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Educating for Character, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Educating for Character

Shannon Lacovara
Jan 23, 2014 Shannon Lacovara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For teachers and parents who believe in character education, this is a great read. Even for those who don't advocate character education, this book may begin to change your point of view. I read this book for the first course of my M.Ed. and have continually referred back to it during subsequent courses.
Teresa
May 27, 2011 Teresa rated it really liked it
This book is insightful and educational on bringing back the teaching of values into the curriculum for all students. As a teacher, I feel that so many of my former students were raised by wolves and lacked character, morals and values. This is not to say that one must teach religion, but rather how to become a responsible, respectful and caring human being. I would rate this book higher, however, the statistics are too dated and need to be revised for the modern, 21st century classroom. I highl ...more
Premita Octa
Apr 06, 2016 Premita Octa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mita
Katherine
Mar 15, 2015 Katherine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was used in one of my courses to discuss teaching character and values in the classroom. It has a great deal of practical application and method suggestions that can be adapted for a variety of ages.
Jaime Contreras
Jul 24, 2011 Jaime Contreras rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have found thid book to be an invaluable resource over the years. It is necessary for anyone who wishes to instill those lessons that will help one to operate a high level of integrity and awareness for what is valauble - character. The author illustrates his points though examples and applications.
Christina Grieve
Love this text... a great tool for creating a values environment!! This is a keeper!!
Betsy
Mar 18, 2013 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great resource for teachers concerned with a moral obligation to model and teach character education. Lots of background information, real teacher/classroom examples, application activities, and inspiration.
Lisa
Aug 17, 2012 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great resource that has many awesome ideas for integrating character education into our curriculum.
Ratih Soe
Oct 12, 2009 Ratih Soe marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
My trainer Winda said it was a good book so I might as well read it (maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but I will)
Kristine Turner
Feb 28, 2013 Kristine Turner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for ways to create classrooms that teach values and academics as they go hand in hand.
Evalyn
Jun 06, 2012 Evalyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good! It explores the need for character education in the schools very well.
Sancheza
Sep 11, 2008 Sancheza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm using this book to help me write my research paper for English 313.
Tria Rizki
Tria Rizki marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Anne Thompson
Anne Thompson marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Kate
Kate marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2016
Cj Soltero
Cj Soltero marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2016
Pak Muhyadi
Pak Muhyadi marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Sherri Hart
Sherri Hart marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Jessica Mills
Jessica Mills marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Rifani Magrissa
Rifani Magrissa is currently reading it
Aug 20, 2016
Joko Prasetyo
Joko Prasetyo marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
AnneMarie
AnneMarie marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Julia
Julia marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Evija
Evija marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2016
Thammett
Thammett rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2016
Emma
Emma rated it liked it
Jun 01, 2016
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
May 29, 2016
Nicolaus
Nicolaus marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Yardsticks: Children in the Classroom Ages 4-14
  • Spiritual Writings: Gift, Creation, Love: Selections from the Upbuilding Discourses
  • The 10 Greatest Gifts I Give My Children: Parenting from the Heart
  • The New Faithful: Why Young Adults Are Embracing Christian Orthodoxy
  • 7 Steps to Raising a Bilingual Child
  • The Ultimate Book of Homeschooling Ideas: 500+ Fun and Creative Learning Activities for Kids Ages 3-12
  • What Your Fifth Grader Needs to Know: Fundamentals of a Good Fifth-Grade Education (Core Knowledge Series)
  • Results Now: How We Can Achieve Unprecedented Improvements in Teaching and Learning
  • I Hope You Dance [With I Hope You Dance CD]
  • The Divine Romance
  • Teaching with the Brain in Mind
  • What You Should Know about Politics... But Don't: A Nonpartisan Guide to the Issues
  • The Educated Child: A Parents Guide From Preschool Through Eighth Grade
  • Render Unto Caesar: Serving the Nation by Living our Catholic Beliefs in Political Life
  • Guiding Readers and Writers: Teaching Comprehension, Genre, and Content Literacy
  • The Power of Positive Parenting: A Wonderful Way to Raise Children