Sea Change: A Novel

Sea Change: A Novel

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  46 reviews
A stunning follow-up from the author of Salt--"thrilling and memorable" (Richard Eder, Los Angeles Times).

After experiencing a devastating tragedy, Guy sets out to sea in an old Dutch barge that has now become his home. Every night, he writes the imagined diary of the man he might have been-and the family he should have had.

As he embarks upon the stormy waters of the No...more
Published December 2nd 2010 by Viking Adult (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Sea Change, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sea Change

Gloria
We have a winner.

I have gone through the first half of this year having found only one book to which I could give my picky 5-star rating (and that not even being a novel, but Nathaniel Hawthorne's ridiculously beautiful love letters).

Jeremy Page just changed that.
And has quite possibly gained a new, somewhat obsessed, fan.

Why this book?
Why, as readers, are we impacted by any book or character?
I think, usually, because we see shades of ourselves in them.

In this case, I saw myself in Guy.
Guy is a...more
Naomi Dathan
I felt very noble when I decided to read Sea Change by Jeremy Page. It was clear even from the summary, that this was a reflective, intelligent book. There are times when I enjoy reading books like that. This isn't really one of them. These days, I want to be entertained. However, I decided to give it a fair shot.

The book is extraordinary. I don't think I have it in me to explain how Mr. Page can illuminate both the beauty and pain of a single moment. I was captivated from the beginning, held in...more
Nicole Langan
Some pieces of literature are art in its highest form. "Sea Change" by Jeremy Page is one of those books. He paints with words instead of merely constructing a narrative. His writing style is lyrical. He transports the reader into a world fully realized and created on the page.

Things begin in a surreal fashion. Guy and Judy are enjoying a carefree day in a secluded field with their preschool-age daughter, Freya. Page opens with the beautiful image of the young girl capturing a small bead of rain...more
Ron Charles
Nicole Kidman's "Rabbit Hole" opens Friday on a tide of advance praise and mutterings about Oscar nominations. It's an adaptation of David Lindsay-Abaire's Pulitzer Prize-winning play about a couple whose 4-year-old son is accidentally killed. Acclaimed movies about horse-racing or India or Julia Child usually stir up interest in related books, but Jeremy Page's thoughtful novel about a father who loses his 4-year-old daughter is unlikely to get that boost from Hollywood. There is a limit, after...more
Kathleen Hagen
Sea Change, by Jeremy Page, narrated by John Lee, produced by Blackstone Audio, downloaded from audible.com.

This is the story of a young father coming to terms with his own grief about the sudden and inexplicable death of his little daughter. He buys a boat and lives on the sea. For five years he writes in his diary every night, concocting the life that he thinks would have proceeded if his daughter had lived. He would still be with his wife, they would have taken the long promised trip across A...more
sara
To put it as simply as possible, Sea Change is a beautiful book. Readers first meet main character Guy in the middle of an idyllic day spent with his wife and their young daughter. Father and daughter stop to examine their reflections in a drop of dew while mother reads poetry while sitting on a broken tree branch. Things quickly take a surreal turn, however, and the simple pleasures of the day turn to horror. Every moment of the quietly harrowing first chapter is written with absolute masterly...more
Jackie
I got pulled into this book by its beautiful, descriptive language. The land, the water, the boat were characters that participated in the plot in very real ways. And the world "real" means a lot here, because the main character, Guy, is at best half real. He lives on an old barge, trolling around the North Sea's coast, lost in more ways than one. Five years prior a terrible fluke accident had occurred and his young daughter was killed. His marriage did not survive long after her death. At least...more
Karyl
This is a beautifully written novel centering around a young father's grief at losing his daughter in a freak accident. To deal with his pain, Guy takes to his boat and writes a diary of sorts, except instead of recounting his daily life, he writes what might have been, had his daughter Freya not been killed. It's difficult for the reader, not to mention Guy himself, to realize what is real and what exists onl in Guy's imagination. He's truly trying to search for Freya, and it's not until he bat...more
Al
This is an excellent well-written story of a man dealing with loss. It's set against a backdrop of the North Sea, on a Dutch barge, and a road-trip across the USA. It's a story of the vulnerability and tensions of relationships, beautifully written. Page's descriptions of place are also described very well - the scenes on the North Sea are very vivid, and as a boater, you can well imagine being there.
Chris McClinch
An intersting novel revolving around writing and escape as methods of dealing with a tragedy. I Found the novel to be involving and a quick read, but I still found myself wanting more from it when I finished. I'm not sure that the third part of the novel worked for me, although the middle part was quite strong. This isn't one that I'd strongly recommend, although it does have a certain charm.
Donald Blum
This sad story is a character study of a man suffering depression over the loss of his 5-year-old daughter in a tragic accident and the way he has dealt with it for the five years since. To maintain his sanity, he has kept a false diary of daily life with his wife and daughter as if the daughter had never died and his wife had never left him soon after. His life is a disaster since then so the fake diary entries he writes every night are all he has to not want to end his own life.

The ending of...more
Julie Presley
This book was so brilliantly beautiful. From the very first paragraph, my mouth was gaping open. I had to keep checking to make sure it was written by a man, because... who knew men could be so detailed! Jeremy Page totally floored me with his use of description, he more than adequately painted the scenes that ebbed and flowed through this book.

The story is about a man on the other side of a tragic event that ripped his family apart, and how he copes with the losses. I was awestruck by the creat...more
Linda
I wanted to like this book -- a literary novel set at sea. But after reading only the first two chapters I don't think I can go on. Page writes beautifully, lyrically, with an insight to human thought and emotion but I can't believe the situations he puts his narrator in.

Although stallions can be formidable animals I had trouble believing in this evil horse out to kill the protagonist and his family. I kept reading because I thought the metaphor was more important, the symbolism of a man trying...more
Patricia
This is a "mind dump" book. Every thought, no matter how fleeting, that goes through Guy's mind is minutely examined and described. When the book is over the reader knows this man intimately. I listened to Sea Change on my mp3 - and loved every second of it. Jeremy Page's powers to evoke a mood are very strong. The tone of the narrative tinkles, surges, roars, sighs, laughs, etc. etc. by turns, and, somehow, the lyrics evoke Guy's immediate environment (raging sea, deep, quiet forests of Georgia...more
Irene Dreger
The first chapter of this book is indicative of the powerful descriptive ability of Jeremy Page.
The remainder of the book has many similar brilliant pieces describing in great detail events and situations in such a manner that I was totally drawn in, captivated and felt I totally understood his points.
Lovely, lovely book.
Suzanne
A very different kind of story of a father's emotions over the most horrible of losses, that of his child. In an effort to deal with this devastation, Guy embarks on a solitary journey at sea.
The reader is fluctuated between fantasy and reality, as Guy relives the past and creates a life that might have been.
Jean Carlton
I am bringing my Goodreads page up to date gradually -filling in titles read from my previous record or years past. I don't recall if I realized this was a 'follow up' to Salt which I had read just before this but I was engaged in the story- the ending left me in doubt but I was okay with that.
Libby
For me, this book was boring. However, I feel so much more intellectual after reading it because this author is so poignant and VERY descriptive in his writing. I could have really liked this book IF WE COULD HAVE WENT WITH OUT THE DESCRIPTIVE WRITING....it just went on and on about mundane descriptions of whatever. During most of the reading I'm thinking, "do I really need to know about this, or are you just trying to take up space to make this book longer THAN IT NEEDS TO BE???"

I'll end here,...more
Casey
The is probably the worst book I've ever read. I just didn't like it at all. Not much else to say, just my personal opinion.
Emily
A masterfully blended narrative of the past, present and imagined future of one man who lost everything. Guy has been living on a barge for five years, unable to let go of the life he had with his family before a terrible tragedy tore it apart. He keeps a diary of his life with Judy, his ex-wife and Freya, his daughter; a diary of how their lives could have been. Page's writing is so good you find yourself invested in his "what if," only belatedly remembering that Guy's counter-narrative is not...more
Rachel
I 'enjoyed' this book...I quote it because 'enjoy' is maybe not something you can do with a book about such great loss. But this author writes beautifully and I was drawn into the story almost immediately.

I struggled through the beginning third mainly because I was annoyed with the diary aspect...writing about a 'what if life' didn't really interest me. However, as the story progressed, I realized how important that aspect was and just how unique that story-telling tool was.
Barbara
What happened to Guy? That was my problem. I don't like endings that leave me up in the air. I so loved when his exwife was in the story. I always hope characters get reunited. He finally found his way in life and now he's gone. Good imagry but with Guy gone I feel a little lost. Good story and quite the surprise ending to me. A little too much information which I skipped through to make the book go faster.
I love this book. It didn't matter if the author was telling the story or the main character was creating his alternate life in his diary, I was emotionally involved and believing every bit of it. One of those books that when you finish you can't imagine picking up and starting another book, not yet. Really a stunning feat of writing.
Jody
Caveat: I couldn't stand the narrator on this recording, which, I'm sure, colored what I thought of the story itself. And I was very tired when I listened. But my overall impression was that it was only okay. A bit of a pat ending. I should read it myself and see if my impression changes.
Sherry
Now that I am through with this book I can't believe I almost gave up on it. It is a little slow going at first, and the jumps from present to past to future can be confusing, but the perseverence is well worth the effort. This is a beautifully written book with much sadness, but hope, too.
AmblingBooks
"With lyricism and poise, Page renders a doubly engaging story, with one narrative as intricate and essential as the other." � Publishers Weekly

Listen to Sea Change on your iPhone, desktop, or smartphone.
Eldra
The narrative structure is very innovative. The main character is trying to cope with a traumatic loss by trying to create a diary that records his life without the loss. I have never read anything quite like this. The prose is beautiful and the ideas reverberate with candid truth.
Rachel
A gorgeously written book about loss and life after loss, executed in an atypical way. It's very descriptive and character-centric. The care that went into writing this book makes me so happy as a reader and writer. Highly recommended if you love slow-paced, lyrical books.
Lisa
This book was hard for me to read. It was very detailed. The writing was very poetic but kind of made me lose interest in the story. The story itself was kind of weird. Anyway, not my favorite.
Kalei
This book makes you think. Interesting story telling perspective and once you realize how the story is unfolding, it is difficult to put down. At the end, I wanted to know more.
What Happened To Guy? 1 5 Dec 27, 2011 07:09AM
  • Crossing Oceans
  • Just as I Am
  • Naomi and Her Daughters
  • First Things First: The Rules of Being a Warner
  • Huckleberry Finished (A Delilah Dickinson Literary Tour Mystery, #2)
  • Roseflower Creek
  • Blue Boy
  • Beyond the Quiet
  • Sunrise
  • The Cruelest Cut
  • Wading Home: A Novel of New Orleans
  • The Goddess of Fried Okra
  • The Boyfriend of the Month Club
The Collector of Lost Things Salt The Wake Closing Time The Adventure of the Norwood Builder

“It's a wonderful thing to write. You can reclaim the things you lost.” 4 likes