Start by marking “The Night Before Christmas” as Want to Read:
The Night Before Christmas

The Night Before Christmas

4.36  ·  Rating Details ·  80,480 Ratings  ·  1,291 Reviews
Once upon a time, children imagined St. Nicholas as a stern, skinny bishop who was as likely to dole out discipline as Christmas presents. But thanks to the anonymous publication of the poem "Account of a Visit from St. Nicholas" in the TROY SENTINAL in 1823, a plumper, merrier St. Nick was born, transformed into the sleigh-riding, chimney-diving, jolly old elf we now call ...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1823)

i'm not sure if this is the correct edition to review. the one i have is also illustrated by arthur rackham , but it has this cover:

photo DSC03403_zpsc67b38e8.jpg

which is much better than the one shown above.

i'm not sure how to review this, because it's just the night before christmas, but since i feel compelled to review all the books i read ever, i am just putting it out there that this is a wonderful christmas present to receive, and reading it on christmas eve with a giant mug of cocoa is a pretty n
Pramod Nair
Dec 26, 2015 Pramod Nair rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Twas the night before Christmas, when all thro' the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse;
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;
The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sugar plums danc'd in their heads,

- The opening lines of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas.

'Twas the Night Before Christmas or A Visit from St. Nicholas, by Clement Clarke Moore is arguably one of the most popular Christmastide themed
K.D. Absolutely
At what age did you stop believing in Santa Claus? Last Christmas, I still had to buy something for my daughter and wrote “From: Santa Claus” on the gift tag because she still believed in him. She was 16.

This morning while I was about to drop her at the gate of her school, she again borrowed the rosary hanging on the rearview mirror of my car. The rosary was a gift from my friend who attended the World Youth’s Day in Brazil this year so I am proud of it and taking care of it. The beads are made
Kathie Meyer
Jun 14, 2008 Kathie Meyer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All ages
Shelves: winter-reading
This is a very biased review since I know the illustrator personally and was a model for one of the elves that appear in the book. My very special kitty, Larry, is pictured in the Christmas stocking at the end too. In fact, Watson used all real people to model for Santa, the elves and the family in the story, and he set the book in Port Townsend, Wash. where he lives. The clocktower is our actual courthouse in town.

Having said all of that...I think this is one of the most wonderfully illustrated
David Schaafsma
Dec 24, 2015 David Schaafsma rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every year, in some fashion, I read this aloud to the kids. What has sold more copies, in more versions? This is one of the old classic illustrated versions, more for me than the kids, in a way, though we had five versions of it around the house this time. Everybody likes it, though this year the now eleven year old mimes some of the action that I describe, lightly making fun of it. He has this idea Santa no longer exists!
Dec 24, 2015 Trish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily one of the most well-known poems about Christmas and always a delight to read. This was today's post of BookRiot's Literary Advent Calendar.
Carrie Beth
Dec 17, 2015 Carrie Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A timeless Christmas classic! Always a favorite during the holiday season!
Darn it, I don't know how to post for different editions as this keeps coming up the same despite different illustrators. Here, then, are the three versions I've enjoyed this season with links so you can see them on Amazon.

Fujikawa's illustrations are so adorable and delightful and child-like, in a way. I thoroughly enjoyed his vision into this holiday classic, though I would have liked more page breaks and more frequent illustrations to help the flow with the poem bet
'Twas the Night before Christmas' is a beautiful holiday poem that was written by Dr. Clement C. Moore for his children as a Christmas present. It was reprinted many times over and wasn't what Moore thought would make him famous... but it did. It's been translated in many languages and continues to be recited to children all over the world.

Much to my chagrin, this is the first time I've read/heard this poem in its entirety, but I'll be sure to read it every holiday season moving forward. Beauti

I must admit I'd never even heard of this sweet little poem until very recently. I also, first misread the title and thought it had something to do with The Nightmare Before Christmas. My bad, I know.

However, I found this poem very cute and it breathed Christmas feelings. I wish I'd known it earlier, because it really feel like a classic. It doesn't take a lot of time to read, so I would definitely recommend it!
Isa Lot
Dec 21, 2015 Isa Lot rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Referente a la edición latina. Es precioso, es un cuento en forma de poema, que habla de un niño que se levanta la noche de navidad y ve a Papá Noel. Es realmente bonito. Habla exclusivamente de todo lo relacionado con Papá Noel, no es religioso, eso me gustó. Me parece un libro perfecto para leerle a los niños en navidad.
Dec 22, 2015 Wendy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the perfect time of year to read this Christmas classic. To be honest I don't ever remember reading this as an adult and it brought back some precious childhood memories. I think every adult should read it at least once.
I love this poem, I used to read it to my brother at christmas each year so it brings back nice memories.
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I had never read this before, I'm pretty sure - we certainly never had a copy in our house nor any pre-Christmas tradition of reading it, nothing like that. Probably my primary school had an old copy but I don't think I was too interested. So this was a new reading experience for me, one I approached without any memories or sense of nostalgia to guide me. I got it because it's such a classic, and I believe it's the origin of Santa's sleigh and reindeer (which are named), though don't quote me on ...more
Ken Moten
If you have not yet heard this poem, first things first so that you have context to what I am talking about:

I am going to review this poem in the context of two other previous Christmas reads I have read: one by Milton and one by Dickens.

Now in my review of On The Morning Of Christ's Nativity: Milton's Hymn, I talked briefly of the culture of Christmas surrounding Milton during his lifetime and how it was a very different one from today. Christmas was a
Dec 17, 2013 Tasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Following the classic Christmas tale, this version of the story is made special by the illustrations. Brallier has created fifteen stained glass illustrations for the book. They range from holiday mantles to close ups of the reindeer and of course Santa Claus. Santa does not wear a red hat here but instead has the robes of an English Santa Claus. It makes the feel all the more timeless and special.

Throughout, Brallier has small touches that are worth finding. I was entranced by her use of small
Jul 30, 2010 Ryun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Descriptions of human sacrifice and the power of blood magic are commonplace throughout history, but one — Clement Clarke Moore’s ‘TWAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS — takes place on the eve of a holiday that most consider a time of joy, happiness and generosity. This makes a poem that would be unsettling in any circumstances an intense, dark and enduring tale of supernatural horror.

Set on the eve of the eponymous Christian feast day, the book begins innocently enough, with a desperately poor fami
Candace W.
Oct 05, 2012 Candace W. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Shelves: kid-lit-class
This book tells the classic story of The Night Before Christmas, but with special cut outs and a beautiful pop-up finale. I really liked this book, because it tells a story that children know and love with a beautiful addition to it. The illustrations are done in mostly black and white, and are very beautiful. Beyond that, the cut out sections in them allow one illustration to illustrate two sections of the story just by turning the page. Last but not least, the pop-up finale is very intricate a ...more
Nov 06, 2015 Jules rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christmas
This is a lovely story for Christmas. Just read this to my 4 year old niece, who loved it too. The version I read to her is illustrated by Henry Fisher. The illustrations are gorgeous.
John Yelverton
Oct 02, 2011 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story is the original Santa Claus story, and you can see why the character is around to this day.
Christopher Hicks
This is s fun classic children's book!! Love It!!!
Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews at the Online Eccentric Librarian

More reviews (and no fluff) on the blog

Clement C. Moore's 200 year old poem is known by nearly all American children today, if only by the opening line of, "Twas The Night Before Christmas..". It's a poem for every parent to share in anticipation of waking up and opening presents, to create a tradition of breathless anticipation and family warmth. Really, the only question is which illustrator to grace the story.

While some parents may prefer more modern illus
Aug 26, 2012 Alan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How many decades ago did I memorize this poem, "Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash...." Does any kid now hearing this know what a "sash" is, not to mention a chimney etc. "As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly...": now as we await the wet leaves--and yacht boating boots--of the Republicans at their national convention hall in Tampa, a full foot above sea level at least: has anyone ever seen DRY leaves flying before a hurricane?
Sounds like someone from NY who has never seen a
Mar 30, 2012 Prashant rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book
This is a beautiful Christmas poem written by Clement Clarke Moore. I heard this on an audio book from gutenberg project and then also read the text from an e-book. The audiobook was in a sweet voice of a kid stopping and stumbling over some of the complex words.

Brought up in a Hindu house and an environment where many religions live and thrive together, for me Christmas has always been when some people in my neighborhood sang songs in the night and then around midnight a fat guy dressed in all
Aug 02, 2016 Claire rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-books
My addition doesn't seem to be the same as this book seems to be listed. However, says it is and won't let me add an addition. Oh well. I have had my copy of this famous poem since I was very young. For me, this book brings back several memories and I still imagine Santa as looking like the illustration from this book.
As a child all I saw was the illustration and since it is great it was easy to remember. As an adult I can appreciate the two page addition written by Paul Harvey. H
Margaret Chind
This is amazing. When I saw this one the list of recommended reads for the Memoria Press Third Grade, I thought surely it is not necessary as I already have two other versions by other illustrations, more whimsical than this black and white. But then when I got it out at the library, boy did I discover a treasure. I will have to look for this one to buy. The first page has a little historical note about the original presentation of the Account of a Visit from St. Nicholas, now known to us as The ...more
Dec 15, 2015 Elke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as a surprise gift and was very happy about it, as it was one of those titles I had on my wish list for years, but never came around to get a copy for myself.

This poem is guaranteed to get you into the mood for Christmas, if you're not naturally bouncing up and down with anticipation, decorating, baking, and enjoying the season as I do each year when the first signs of Christmas appear.
The poem is beautifully written in a very figurative language, effortlessly creating a vas
Dec 23, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has some beautiful illustrations, and looks great on the kindle fire. I'm not sure about the 'edited for the benefit of children of the 21st century' though, as the words appear to be pretty much the original poem/story, and the pictures are pretty old fashioned too. Father Christmas is definitely not delivering ipads and games consoles, and daddy is lighting his way round the house with a candle (not a kindle - which I use at night!).

My 2-year-old likes scrolling through the pages, an
What a gem! This book is a little treasure box of Christmas stories, and it has set me in the perfect mood for Christmas. Many of these heartwarming tales were quite new for me, while their authors were well-known favorites. In fact, I almost squealed with joy when I found out that Lucy Maud Montgomery and Louisa May Alcott had written a few Christmas tales.

From Dickens' "A Christmas Carol" to the title poem by Clement Clarke Moore and the short stories by Alcott and Montgomery, this little boo
Jennifer Bracken
Engineered Books

This classic version of the story of the night before Christmas is turned into a pop-up book. I read this with my children each year on Christmas Eve and they love working the different pop-up elements. This book tells the story of the family going to bed and hearing St. Nicholas landing in the yard and coming into the house to deliver the presents.

This book could be read to your students on the last day of school before Christmas break. You just have to make sure that every stu
London christmas party 1 3 Sep 22, 2016 01:00AM
Old Books, New Re...: December - A Christmas Carol 74 102 Aug 29, 2016 09:21PM
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas
  • The 12 Days of Christmas: A Pop-Up Celebration
  • The Christmas Magic
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey
  • The Little Drummer Boy
  • The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree: An Appalachian Story
  • Snowmen at Christmas
  • A Pirate's Night Before Christmas
Clement Clarke Moore, (July 15, 1779 – July 10, 1863), is best known as the credited author of A Visit From St. Nicholas (more commonly known today as Twas the Night Before Christmas).

Clement C. Moore was more famous in his own day as a professor of Oriental and Greek literature at Columbia College (now Columbia University) and at General Theological Seminary, who compiled a two volume Hebrew dict
More about Clement C. Moore...

“Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night.” 1 likes
“there arose such a clatter, I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter. Away to the window I flew like a flash, Tore open the shutters” 0 likes