Start by marking “Lean Architecture: For Agile Software Development” as Want to Read:
Lean Architecture: For Agile Software Development

Lean Architecture: For Agile Software Development

3.11  ·  Rating Details  ·  126 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
More and more Agile projects are seeking architectural roots as they struggle with complexity and scale - and they're seeking lightweight ways to do it Still seeking? In this book the authors help you to find your own path Taking cues from Lean development, they can help steer your project toward practices with longstanding track records Up-front architecture? Sure. You ca ...more
Published July 26th 2010 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about Lean Architecture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lean Architecture

Andreas
Feb 27, 2016 Andreas rated it liked it
Find a detailed review at my blog.

The book heads for DCI as a Lean and Agile architectural style, that is understood. My main objection would be, that the book builds a very one-dimensional picture of architecture, declares DCI as a kind of Holy Grail. It completely misses one of my main architectural concerns, namely the balancing of NFRs: robustness, security, availability, and others (transactions, anyone?). The book emphasizes only one NFR: maintainability. But what happens, if others are f
Torben Rasmussen
Aug 23, 2012 Torben Rasmussen rated it it was ok
I can't recommend this one. Such a shame. There seems to be such a bounty of useful patterns and ideas hiding away just below the surface in Copliens most recent book.
Unfortunately the writing style and endless digression overshadows even the chapters on DCI which are otherwise very interesting.
While Coplien struggles to revive many software development practices of the last 3 decades by telling us that they are lean and agile, the arguments are seldom very convincing and at times it seems that
Tony
Mar 06, 2014 Tony rated it did not like it
I wish the star system was different: I didn't like it, but that doesn't mean that I thought it was awful. I didn't like the chatty style of "grandpa Harry" or the authors' comments to the reader "nerds". Some people clearly don't mind this apporach, but I don't like it. Save the comedey for comedies.
My main criticism is that I thought it didn't explain the subject and eneded up offering platitudes like "try really hard" and "concentrate" and "think long and hard before..."
This book is destine
Bill de hÓra
May 02, 2011 Bill de hÓra rated it it was ok
There's a set of great software patterns in here, waiting to get out. Digressions, namedropping, a very particular history of OO get in their way. Wait for the 2nd ed.
Mikko Kärkkäinen
Apr 01, 2014 Mikko Kärkkäinen rated it liked it
My review seems to be aligned with that of the majority of the readers of this book... My initial feeling was great because the topic of agile architecture has been a pretty hot one at work recently and I thought this book hit the exactly the right spot. However, after reading it (up to the DCI chapter) I have the feeling that I can't remember anything I read. Sure, I made a lot of notes, underlined plenty of rows and so on, but the underlined rows are here and there, one line on this page, a co ...more
Angelo
Mar 29, 2016 Angelo rated it it was amazing
One of the very best books I've read on software architecture in the last few years. It takes an action-oriented approach, but not as a cookbook, but as a framework for introducing other concepts. I use the terminology of "modules vs joints" very regularly, and I found myself nodding all throughout the passages that are just "fluffy" enough to be valuable.

Would I recommend this book? That depends. It requires a certain readiness of mind that not everyone has, and if you come at it thinking it wi
Alexis Rodriguez
Jan 21, 2015 Alexis Rodriguez rated it liked it
Muy bueno el contenido, pero mal estructurado y con una redacción confusa.
Los conceptos explicados son muy buenos, pero se encuentran distribuidos sin una estructura clara!
Anthony
Mar 25, 2013 Anthony rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It is not the technical detailed code walkthrough I was expecting. Instead it is a thorough examination of how to approach software architecture from both Agile and Lean first principles. Central to this examination is the lean secret of "the whole team" and the agile principle of "people and interactions over processes and tools". This book provides a number of interesting ideas with which to mull over and experiment.

I can't wait to share this book with my team.
Javier Gonel
Sep 22, 2015 Javier Gonel rated it it was ok
Shelves: computers
There are really good ideas and intentions in this book.

Although it seems it tries to fit a narrative: DCI. Rediscovering why OOP works and getting the best from OOP is the good part of the book, but if you already know that you might find the book boring.

The worst part of using DCI as a hammer, is that everything is a nail. So many nails in the book that again make it boring.

Still two or three gems about roles nice to read.
Timoteo Ponce
Jan 17, 2014 Timoteo Ponce rated it really liked it
Shelves: technology
It took a long time to read, but not because it is not intuitive enough. It's just too much meat in this meal to eat at once. Is a very good reading about all topics from culture to technology in software development, worth reading, but don't use it as a reference-implementation guide, use it as a source of knowledge.

PS: It also has very good resources and quotes on it, it's a keeper.
Robbert Brak
Jun 10, 2012 Robbert Brak rated it liked it
This book contains some very valuable insights into the nature of software architecture. Unfortunately, the writing style is a bit verbose and contains many repetitions, which (ironically) isn't very lean. Nonetheless, this book is worth a read, if only because of the introduction to the DCI framework, an interesting way of separating 'what the system does' from 'what the system is'.
Piotr
Apr 20, 2013 Piotr rated it liked it
I found it hard to get through the book. I still fail to understand exactly what's the point of dci. I had a few reveleations where I thiught I did understand it, but every time reading further and learning more about it, especially in this book got me more confused.
Gilbio
Sep 24, 2013 Gilbio rated it really liked it
Everybody, all together, from early on
Surely, it is a opportunity to take a walk into the world of the software architecture. Some sections aren't much easy to understand, anyway from my point of view, it could be considered a milestone about the topic.
Rob
Jun 17, 2012 Rob rated it it was ok
Overlong and overdone. The code examples are in c++ (why?) and non-idiomatic Ruby. I was mostly interested in how to apply DCI, but by the time the author actually got to the concret DCI examples I was just ready to be done with this book.
Collin Rogowski
There're some nice bits in it, but it's much to verbose for my taste. The main thing I took from it is the difference between form and design.
Rick Austin
Jan 14, 2012 Rick Austin rated it liked it
Not what I expected. It did provide some information on DCI but I'm left wanting more.
James Brown
James Brown marked it as to-read
May 27, 2016
Antonio Cabrera
Antonio Cabrera is currently reading it
May 28, 2016
Andreas
Andreas is currently reading it
May 13, 2016
Kyle Pace
Kyle Pace marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Michael Alber
Michael Alber marked it as to-read
Igor
Igor marked it as to-read
Geert
Geert marked it as to-read
Jorge Pena
Jorge Pena marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Tanat Kitcharoen
Tanat Kitcharoen marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Mar 30, 2016
Abc
Abc marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Jeff Hansen
Jeff Hansen is currently reading it
Mar 22, 2016
  • Object Design: Roles, Responsibilities, and Collaborations
  • Functional Programming for the Object-Oriented Programmer
  •  Crafting Rails Applications: Expert Practices for Everyday Rails Development
  • Smalltalk Best Practice Patterns
  • Language Implementation Patterns: Techniques for Implementing Domain-Specific Languages
  • Refactoring: Ruby Edition, Adobe Reader
  • Implementing Lean Software Development: From Concept to Cash
  • Implementing Domain-Driven Design
  • Software Systems Architecture: Working with Stakeholders Using Viewpoints and Perspectives
  • Refactoring to Patterns
  • Objects on Rails
  • 97 Things Every Software Architect Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Beyond Software Architecture: Creating and Sustaining Winning Solutions
  • Continuous Delivery: Reliable Software Releases Through Build, Test, and Deployment Automation
  • Metaprogramming Ruby
  • Eloquent Ruby
  • Rails Antipatterns: Best Practice Ruby on Rails Refactoring
  • Applying UML and Patterns: An Introduction to Object-Oriented Analysis and Design and Iterative Development

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »