Start by marking “House Rabbit Handbook: How to Live with an Urban Rabbit” as Want to Read:
House Rabbit Handbook: How to Live with an Urban Rabbit

House Rabbit Handbook: How to Live with an Urban Rabbit

Packed with the collected wisdom of bunny-lovers and charming, candid photos of their pets, this manual tells readers how to successfully integrate a rabbit into one's life. Harriman includes the latest in veterinary information and helpful how-to sections on care and feeding. 100 photos. Charts.
Published April 23rd 2002 by Drollery Press (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about House Rabbit Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about House Rabbit Handbook

House Rabbit Handbook by Marinell HarrimanStories Rabbits Tell by Susan E.  DavisWatership Down by Richard AdamsThe Bunny Lover's Complete Guide To House Rabbits by The Bunny GuyThe Relaxed Rabbit by Chandra Moira Beal
The Rabbit Owner's List
1st out of 16 books — 8 voters
House Rabbit Handbook by Marinell HarrimanWhy Does My Rabbit . . . ? by Anne McBrideStories Rabbits Tell by Susan E.  DavisEverything about Rabbits by Amber RichardsRabbits As Pets by M.J.A. Dyer
Rabbit Care & Information Books
1st out of 9 books — 9 voters

More lists with this book...

Tara
Jan 26, 2016 Tara rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, animals
This is a great book, rabbit care information interspersed with essays make it an informative and enjoyable read. I almost bought this one from the Humane Society when I adopted my rabbit after watching some rabbit care videos with Mary Cotter and Amy Sedaris, they recommended this book. I recommend it and the videos too :) I'll probably go back and buy it from the Humane Society to add to my bookshelf for reference.

Belinda
Jun 14, 2013 Belinda rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Another good referenced title for the house rabbit fan. This is probably the classic title that sort of revolutionized people's attitudes towards keeping rabbits. This is an updated version and very inclusive--good info on diets and habitats. Biggest complaint is I would like to see more information on dwarf rabbits (as that is what my Mokona is) and they are a really popular type of rabbit and have special needs that can differ from a larger type of a rabbit. Overall a good reference title but ...more
Marcie
Oct 24, 2011 Marcie rated it really liked it
Helpful. Made me more patient with & reminded me to enjoy my rabbits' idiosyncrasies. Brief enough to avoid being overwhelming; too brief to answer all my questions. Maybe how-to manuals are obsolete in the internet age; all of this information & more is available on the House Rabbit Society website. I suppose when the rabbits chew through the wires for the modem, I'll be glad to have a hard copy.
Bookfanatic
Jun 01, 2013 Bookfanatic rated it it was amazing
A wonderful resource! If you have a pet rabbit, get this book. I've raised three house rabbits over the years and this handbook came in handy many times. It covers everything from nutrition, grooming, vet care, disease prevention and management. It's written in straightforward language without too much jargon. A bonus is all the cute pictures of various house rabbits.
Holly
Mar 09, 2010 Holly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a rabbit. I didnt know what i was getting into! shame on me for not doing my usual 100 days of research before buying. But this book has it all, simply explained on how to care for, and figure out, your little critter. Through the countless websites Ive cruised, this book is recommended on every one of those sites. Check it out!
Jes
May 02, 2015 Jes rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Having never had a rabbit before, this book prepared me for my bunny's behaviors, diet, enclosure requirements and even gave me some tips on socializing her with my dog. I'm very grateful for the good information presented in this book as it prepped me in a short amount of time. I highly recommend for new rabbit owners to browse this book.
Nikki Chee
Sep 26, 2014 Nikki Chee rated it really liked it
With so many people having rabbits as pets, I wish there were more great books like this one. My colleagues laughed when they saw it, but really, there is a place fro discuss living with urban rabbits. Next edition to include rabbits on leads and bunny's at cafes perhaps?
Belinda
Aug 09, 2013 Belinda rated it it was amazing
Wonderful book and extremely helpful...the proof is in my totally integrated Himalayan house bunny....healthy, happy and part of the family now... thank you for the great information and touching stories about these wonderful animals....
Tess
May 24, 2012 Tess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
A great guide to lots of bunny care, compiled by great bunny lovers. I had read another rabbit pet guide, and I felt that this one was a lot more anecdotal than the previous book. There is a lot of info in this guide about rabbit illnesses and poisionous foods, which is very helpful.
Colleen Venable
Thinking about adopting a bunny. His name is Bunjamin Franklin. What more do I need?! (Other than to read this book a few more times. Tiny NYC apartments may not be the best place for Bunjamin and a friend and I wouldn't want that Never-President-But-Shoulda-Been bunny to be sad.
Virginia Hill
I owned and read copies of both the 1st and 2nd edition books before donating them. Excellent resource!!!
Kate Hastings
Sep 22, 2007 Kate Hastings rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Rabbit Caregivers
Shelves: nonfiction
BEST book published about how to care for house rabbits-- litterbox training, diet, communication, etc. If your library doesn't have the newest edition, you need to have it.
John Young
John Young rated it it was amazing
Nov 03, 2015
Nickola
Nickola rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2014
Jemidar
Jemidar rated it it was amazing
Mar 20, 2010
Shelly Griffin
Shelly Griffin rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2014
Debi Wearing
Debi Wearing rated it liked it
Apr 10, 2015
Chelsey T.
Chelsey T. rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2009
Jason Kennett
Jason Kennett rated it it was ok
May 03, 2013
John Akamatsu
John Akamatsu rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2013
Suzanne
Suzanne rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2008
M. C. Bolton
M. C. Bolton rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2014
Icee
Icee rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it it was amazing
Apr 06, 2014
Eugene
Eugene rated it liked it
Jul 03, 2014
Bunni
Bunni rated it it was amazing
Oct 24, 2016
Erin
Erin rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2012
Lucy
Lucy rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2016
Fern Henley
Fern Henley rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Stories Rabbits Tell: A Natural and Cultural History of a Misunderstood Creature
  • The Whole Hog: Exploring the Extraordinary Potential of Pigs
  • How the Dog Became the Dog: From Wolves to Our Best Friends
  • Essential Linguistics: What You Need to Know to Teach Reading, ESL, Spelling, Phonics, and Grammar
  • Kindred Spirits: How the Remarkable Bond Between Humans and Animals Can Change the Way we Live
  • As minhas aventuras na República Portuguesa
  • The Bad Girl's Guide to Getting Personal
  • The Dangerous World of Butterflies: The Startling Subculture of Criminals, Collectors, and Conservationists
  • The Reading Teacher's Book of Lists
  • Mornings with Barney: The True Story of an Extraordinary Beagle
  • Transformation Soup: Healing for the Splendidly Imperfect
  • Second Language Acquisition: An Introductory Course
  • Animals as Teachers and Healers: True Stories and Reflections
  • Professional Learning Communities at Work: Best Practices for Enhancing Student Achievement
  • Graphic Style: From Victorian to Digital