Start by marking “Who Is Barack Obama?” as Want to Read:
Who Is Barack Obama?

Who Is Barack Obama? (Who Was/Is...?)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  159 ratings  ·  30 reviews
As the world now knows, Barack Obama has made history as our first African-American president. With black-and-white illustrations throughout, this biography is perfect for primary graders looking for a longer, fuller life story than is found in the authors bestselling beginning reader "Barack Obama: United States President."
Published December 24th 2009 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Who Is Barack Obama?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Who Is Barack Obama?

Amy Carr
This is one in a series of fantastic biographies written just for children. Every biography I have read in the series has been very well-done and my children LOVE them. They are written on a 3rd grade independent reading level but are also great read alouds. Easy to read, perfect length for younger children, and excellent introduction to the lives of some very interesting people. Check them all out!
Rina
All but the last three chapters are apolitical. At that point the story reaches his speech at the 2004 Democratic Convention, his run for US Senate and then of course his US presidential campaign. Since the book was published in 2009 there is no mention of his presidency, but that is for the best since it takes a while before the big picture can be seen and he's currently the president.

I enjoyed learning more about Obama's childhood and college years. The book doesn't go into very much detail, b
Haruna Saka
-Grosset&Dunla, Level:3.4
-Time: 11/6=20min,11/7=51min,11/8=27min
-7words summary: segregation-speech-basketball-clever-law-marriage-president
-Discussion Questions
1.If you were one of the black people and you'd like to marry to one of the white people, could you tell your parents about it and would your parents forgive the marriage??
A. I could tell them and they would forgive it. Maybe! Compared with the past, the discrimination between whites and blacks. So, I don't have prejudice to black on
Christian
This book is super interesting because it talks about Barack Obama our president and his life from childhood to grown men. Barack Obama had a tough childhood life because his mother married to men and she had another child .Barack Obama went to alot of different schools. When he was a kid he went to a school that the children did not treat him very well they made fun of him and talked about how his clothes were different from theirs. Later on after 8 years Barack Obama's father returned to Hawai ...more
Show Ukai
"-Grosset&Dunla, Level:3.4
-Time: 85mins total.
-7words summary: segregation-speech-basketball-clever-law-marriage-president
-Discussion Questions
1.If you were black people and you'd like to marry white people, could you tell your parents about it and would your parents forgive the marriage??
A. I could tell them and they would forgive it. Compared with the past,there are less discrimination between whites and blacks than before.So, I don't have prejudice . I hope my parents would allowed me to
Mayumi Inoko
- Grosset & Dunlap; Who is ...?; RL3.4
- Time: 6/29= 84min.
- 7 word summary; Hawaii - box - English - black - basketball - Michelle - Iraq
- If you have a boyfriend or girlfriend and you have to live far apart from him or her, how do you feel? Can you put up with living such a situation?
- In my case, I could not stand living such a situation, but if I really like my boyfriend and he thinks as well as I do, I am sure I could endure living apart each other for several years.
-I did not know the P
Susan
Jun 22, 2012 Susan marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
Review by: Susan Overton

Biographical Reference

Who is Barack Obama?
Edwards, R. (2009). Who is barack obama?. New York, NY: Grosset & Dunlap.

Call Number: E-Book

Price: $5.85

Relevance and Relationship: This book contains information about the first African American citizen to be elected President of the United States.

Purpose: This book provides students with a biographical account of the life of Barack Obama.

Format: This book is an E Book.

Arrangement and Presentation: The book is arranged by ch
Shannon
I imagine it must be REALLY hard to write a kid-friendly biography on a current president without making everyone upset at you, so this book is a pretty remarkable feat. Interesting anecdotes, not much crazypants loving/hating language.
Terrence
Barack Obama was a president who helped people lower taxes. He has a dog, and 2 daughters. Barack was a famous person. He was married to Michelle Obama. His parents died in a car accident. He was transferred to many schools and he gets bullied because of his color. He had a rough time at school.As he grew up he became the first African american president of the united states. I suggest this book to everyone because still Obama is still our president 2014.
Cara Correll
This is a book my daughter brought home from school. She is doing a president project currently. Thank you for all of the information you listed in this book, it was very informative, and easy to read.
Yuka Honda
Title-Who is Barack Obama?
Time-10/24=30minutes,10/28=40minutes
7words-president,the United States,Columbia,
parents,black,civil,discrimination
Discussion question
1 Q. His father was bissines man, and his mother was a teacher. What are your parents doing?
A. My mother wolks at a bank, and my father wolks at a home for the aged.
2 Q. When he was a child, he wanted to be president. When you are a child, what's your dream?
A. When I was a child, I wanted to be a singer.

It's important for me to learn Am
Riho Uto
-Grosset&Dunlop RL3.4
-Time:12/3=13min 12/4=20min 12/5=25min 12/6=9min
-7 words summary:young-basketball-smart-hard working-first-African American-president
Discussion questions:
1.Do you like Barack Obama? Why or why not?
Yes,I do. Actually, I don't know about him in detail,but he could be a president. I want him to show about discrimination is not good.
2.His motto is "Change we can believe in." Do you have something you want to change?
I want to change how to live because I am sometimes lazy.
Ippei

-Grosset&Dunlap;Who was....?
-Time 10/4=70 minutes ; 10/6=35 minutes
-7-word summary: black - family - Hawaii - President - book - poor - father.
-Discussion questions:
1 If you were the President of the United States of America, what would you do?
I would advocate free speech and order that American soldiers who are in Japan should come back. Peace is very important.

2 Who do you think will be the next President of U.S.A.?
Of course Obama. I think he is nice. He likes peace. I like too.
Mizuki Kaiju
Grosser& Dunlap Level3.4
Time:11/12=75min
7words:black-move-father-city-politics-president
Discussion Question
When you were a child, what jobs did you want to be?
In my case,I wanted to open a flower shop when I was a kindergartener. I liked flowers then, of course now, I like them.

I thought Obama was wonderful person because he always tries to do his best to help the poor. Also, he could come true his goal. I want him to keep his effort and improve American life.
Ryo Suzuki
Publisher: Crosset&Dunlap
Time=11/10=60 11/11=70
7-word summary: Hawaii-black-Columbia-Michelle-44th-president-change
Discussion Questions
1. Ih you were an American, which would you vote for Obama or Romney?
In my case, I would like to vote for Obama because I think he is a middle-of-the-roader.
2. Are you interested in American politics?
Actually, I like American politics better than that of Japan because Japanese politics is boring.
Hayley
Author: Roberta Edwards
Illustrator: Nancy Harrison & John O’Brien
Genre: Biography
Grade Level: 3-7
Lexile: 740L

Summary: This is a fantastic series of books for learning about famous historical figures. This particular book talks about Barack Obama and how he has made history as our first African-American president. This entire series is a great resource for teachers to help cover historical figures in a young and fun way.
Takahiro Yamada
Time: 1/4 = 70 minutes
7 words summary: Hawaii, black, basketball, American history, Columbia, Kenya, president
Discussion questions:
1. Do you know about Barack Obama?
Actually, I knew just his name. But I could know a little about him by reading this book.
2. When you were an elementary school student, what did you want to be?
Actually, I forgot... But now I want to be a teacher.
Kota Shiiyama
Grosset & Dunlap, Roberta Edwards, level 3.4

Time-80 minutes

7 words-He-overcome-racial-discrimination-became-president-changed

Discussion Questions

How did you feel that Obama became president twice?

I was glad that Obama became president again because he agree with homosexal etc.

which parties will you vote to this time?

I don't deside a party which I will vote yet.
SCES
My students seemed very interested in this book because it is about someone they really know! I was interested to learn about all the different places that Obama lived growing up. He really struggled to fit in and went on a journey to "find himself." Some kids can relate. My groups have enjoyed this book.
-Susan
Datoria
Read in January, 2011
Review: (B) This is an interesting biography of Barack Obama. I would use it for k-5th. The is very much designed for young children and is informative. I would use this book to teach a social studies lesson on the President.
Abby
I think that this is a book. I never really knew much about Barack Obama, but I still have one question. How did the author find out all of the information? Did he/she interview the president?
Donavyn Yerden
I think it is a good book it tells a lot what happens it tells when he was a kid it tells where he went to school and it tells what collages he went to it is a really good book.
Julie.parr
Reading this with Owen for a school project. He had to pick someone he really admired and write a project about that person. I was thrilled that he picked Barack Obama.
Wade
I read this with my 4 year-old Lily. She told me she really liked it and when I asked her why she said "I don't know." Then she said "his grandma is named Toot!"
pati
A simplistic biography of Barack Obama, but it works for the very young as some of the issues touched upon are quite complex. This book is a primer to say the the least.
Rachel
I LOVE these books!!!!!! There amazing. I'll read anything that starts with "Who Was"! I finished a Who Was book in a DAY!!!!!!
Eoin
Everyone thinks I'm a little kid because I love reading these. Oh well.
Marilou U
My second grade students enjoyed learning about their current President.
Norbert
A "Who Is" series on famous people for young children.
Kaitlyn Sherry
Students can learn about our President
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Who Was Martin Luther King, Jr.?
  • Who Was Rosa Parks?
  • Who Was Anne Frank?
  • Who Was Amelia Earhart?
  • Who Was Walt Disney?
  • Who Was Harry Houdini?
  • Who Was Ronald Reagan?
  • Who Was Helen Keller?
  • Who Was Albert Einstein?
  • Who Was Pablo Picasso?
  • Who Was William Shakespeare?
  • Who Was Dr. Seuss?
  • Who Was Thomas Alva Edison?
  • Who Was Jim Henson?
  • Who Was Jackie Robinson?
  • Who Was Queen Elizabeth?
  • Who Was Sacagawea?
  • Who Was Steve Jobs?
Roberta Edwards lives in New York, New York.
More about Roberta Edwards...
Who Was King Tut? Who Was Leonardo da Vinci? Who Was Neil Armstrong? Who Was George Washington? Flight of the Butterflies