Start by marking “Harriet Tubman: Imagining a Life” as Want to Read:
Harriet Tubman: Imagining a Life

Harriet Tubman: Imagining a Life

3.72  ·  Rating Details  ·  387 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
“I am at peace with God and all mankind.”
—Harriet Tubman to Mary Talbert, on the occasion of their last visit, 1913

Now, from the award-winning novelist and biographer, an astonishing reimagining of the remarkable life of Harriet Tubman—the “Moses of Her People.”

During her lifetime Harriet Tubman was an escaped slave, lumberjack, laundress, raid leader, nurse, fund-raiser,
Published June 12th 2007 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about Harriet Tubman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harriet Tubman

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankEleanor of Aquitaine by Alison WeirThe Wives of Henry VIII by Antonia FraserThe Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison WeirCatherine the Great by Robert K. Massie
Female Biographies
393rd out of 664 books — 242 voters
Jane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingHarry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by J.K. RowlingAnna Karenina by Leo TolstoyForrest Gump by Winston Groom
Books With A Surname Or Family Name In The Title..
161st out of 287 books — 38 voters

More lists with this book...

The Book Maven
Feb 20, 2015 The Book Maven rated it did not like it
The title should have given it away: this was the imaginary life of Harriet Tubman. Which is sad, because her life was real, and fascinating, and here it is reduced to conjectures. The irksome thing is that though its disclaimer is "imagining", it is still marketed as non-fiction/biography.

I will admit that it takes me longer to read nonfiction, but holy cow this is ridiculous. The only reason that this book is not completely boring is because it indulges in flights of fancy; it projects thought
Heather
Sometime in grade school, maybe 4th or 5th grade, I read a children's book about Harriet Tubman, so I knew the basics of her being an escaped slave who put her own life on the line to bring several other people North to freedom from slavery. I'm on a big biography kick lately, so decided to learn a little more. Boy did I ever! This lady was BRAVE and STRONG. Tough as Nails!

Things I learned:
- Harriet grew up in Maryland. I guess I had always assumed she was born further in the Deep South.
- Her fi
Jan
Jul 09, 2009 Jan rated it really liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed learning as much as I did from this book. While the writer tried to sort of exhaustively proceed through the subject's life year by year, month by month, recreating as much as possible, this sometimes made reading a bit repetitious and dry. Also, the author had a tendency to skip ahead in time and tell the reader of events that may not happen for decades. Finally, the family tree and all the kinships and names were very hard to keep track of. In spite of all this, I thorough ...more
Elise
Feb 12, 2008 Elise rated it liked it
Shelves: history
I really liked this true-to-life account of Harriet Tubman's life as one of the heroes of the Underground Railroad. While I appreciate the dramatization of some biographies, this one avoids speculation by presenting the facts and then personifying an occasional scene here and there. The result is not as gripping as I'd sometimes like, but it was a very good read. I came away with an increased sense of gratitude for freedom and the courage of so many to do what they could to help others.
Strawfoot
Jul 09, 2007 Strawfoot rated it liked it
I had no idea this life was so varied....I only knew of her as the conductor of the underground railroad. But, she also worked down in South Carolina during the Civil War as nurse, spy, cook, and liaison to the newly freed slave community. Did the government pay her a pension? No, not until she bothered them for years and years. Shameful....at anyrate, the writing is quite good and the story is excellent.
Barbarawiley
Apr 16, 2008 Barbarawiley rated it liked it
Unbiased look at an amazing woman. What she accomplished as an illiterate former slave staggers and humbles me. It reinforced the sadness of lost family and ancestors that will never be discovered.
Carl Rollyson
Sep 04, 2012 Carl Rollyson rated it it was amazing
Reared in slavery, beaten by her masters, struck in the head as a young woman with a heavy weight that caused narcoleptic spells — the story of Harriet Tubman is well-known. This petite, illiterate woman ran away to the free North, and then repeatedly returned to her home ground of Maryland, spiriting away not only her own family, but dozens — perhaps even hundreds — of slaves, never once getting caught or losing anyone in her charge.

When the Civil War broke out, Tubman became a nurse and intell
Stephanie
I already have a huge interest in the life of Harriet Tubman, so this was an easy read. Someone less interested might find it dull. The author did an incredible amount of research to give good insight about slavery on Maryland's Eastern Shore (different from in the Deep South) and the forming of black military regiments during the Civil War. This book answered a lot of questions for me about how my own family might have bought freedom and land before the emancipation.

I was especially pleased wi
Ashley
Jun 08, 2014 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. Given that it's based on pulling together research and various accounts of people who are no longer alive, some sections were awkward and hard to follow at times. Overall, however, it was well researched and well written. Enjoyed reading this perspective.
Camilla Ross
Jul 03, 2015 Camilla Ross rated it really liked it
This book encompasses great detail on her life. As I continue to perform this signature role I often refer back to it when I need a little guidance. Great Stuff!
Jean Reese
Jun 20, 2015 Jean Reese rated it liked it
Love HT; did not love the author's overly dramatic and preachy writing style.
Julia
Jun 14, 2016 Julia rated it did not like it
H. Tubman was an amazing woman. Enjoyed reading about her life experience, however, the book was too long by almost 200 pages. A bear to get through...
Charlene Smith
Oct 28, 2007 Charlene Smith rated it really liked it
I knew very little about Ms. Tubman. This book explained
all that this person was. Real interested in the actual
strength she had in spite of her physical ailments.
She is someone to look up to and see what a person
can do.
Elissa
Jun 28, 2008 Elissa rated it it was ok
My daughter is studying a poem about Harriet Tubman and I thought it would be interesting to learn about her life.
After escaping slavery, she went back 19 times to help free others in slavery.
ShadowTalon
Nov 30, 2010 ShadowTalon rated it it was amazing
Utterly inspiring and wonderfully personified, Harriet Tubman was undoubtedly one of the greatest American heros of all time. And this biography catches that heroic feeling perfectly.
Gris Mcksomething
Jun 26, 2013 Gris Mcksomething rated it liked it
This book had enlightening moments but most of it was written in a current (vs reflective) style which means there are pages of boring stuff... Like my journal
Natalie
Feb 08, 2008 Natalie rated it really liked it
Love to read anything about Harriet Tubman. Author did tons of research and the story of her life is very well-told.
Rocio
May 14, 2012 Rocio added it
havent read it yet
Catherine Macdonald
Catherine Macdonald rated it it was amazing
Jul 21, 2016
Theresa
Theresa marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Sabra Wrice
Sabra Wrice marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Bhuvan Mishra
Bhuvan Mishra rated it it was ok
Jul 18, 2016
Gayle
Gayle marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Tianna
Tianna marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Felice Walter
Felice Walter marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Pmcmil2000
Pmcmil2000 rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2016
Suzanneccousins
Suzanneccousins rated it liked it
Jul 02, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Sharon Schjelderup
Sharon Schjelderup marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Brittany
Brittany marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
  • Harriet Tubman: The Road to Freedom
  • The Boys' War: Confederate and Union Soldiers Talk About the Civil War
  • Dancing with Rose: Finding Life in the Land of Alzheimer's
  • The Diaries of Sofia Tolstoy
  • The Civil War Generals: Comrades, Peers, Rivals—In Their Own Words
  • Black Majority: Negroes in Colonial South Carolina from 1670 through the Stono Rebellion
  • The Negro's Civil War
  • Runaway Slaves: Rebels on the Plantation
  • The Better Angel: Walt Whitman in the Civil War
  • The Eyes of Willie McGee: A Tragedy of Race, Sex, and Secrets in the Jim Crow South
  • I, Maya Plisetskaya
  • Forever Ours: Real Stories of Immortality and Living from a Forensic Pathologist
  • The Slaves' War: The Civil War in the Words of Former Slaves
  • The Wind in the Reeds
  • Millard Fillmore (The American Presidents, #13)
  • Slave Revolution in the Caribbean, 1789-1804: A Brief History with Documents