Start by marking “The Dark Zone (Galahad, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Zone (Galahad, #4)

The Dark Zone (Galahad #4)

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  180 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
With the help of the mysterious alien force known as The Cassini, the teenage crew of Galahad has managed to navigate safely through the minefield of the Kuiper Belt. But just as they exit the belt, they are confronted by their next challenge - a group of incredibly fast and manoeuvrable organisms waiting in their path.
Expected publication: October 1st 2016 by Tor Teen (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Zone, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Zone

Sarah Maddaford
I'm still not sure what to think of this one (especially the ending). I will say that the pacing was a little better for me than all but the first book. The excitement of the "vultures" was palpable and realistically fearful as well.
I understand that while the author is working with a limited number of characters he still has too many for a reader to keep track of if he used more than a couple other than the council, but I still wish that the emotional turmoil would encompass more than those fiv
Rachel
Apr 28, 2011 Rachel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: teens from 90s
Rene Kirkpatrick
May 02, 2012 Rene Kirkpatrick rated it liked it
The fourth book in the series: the kids have broken through the Kuiper Belt, a vast asteroid belt that encircles the solar system. The aliens (named the Cassini)may have made it possible for the ship to get through the belt safely. Bon, one of the teens enhanced by the Cassini, has been in contact with them and it seems that the Belt may have been a kind of fence, maybe keeping something out of the solar system rather than keeping something in.

As soon as the ship is through, they find a number o
Maria
Jun 06, 2011 Maria rated it really liked it
This novel was an interesting one to read considering when I picked it up, I realized that it was the fourth in a series that I knew nothing about! Fortunately for me, you don't have to know everything that's happened to quickly and easily catch up to the story.

The Dark Zone is one of the books in the Galahad series that centers around a group of teenagers who have been chosen to leave Earth just as a deadly virus overtakes the population. The teens are on their way to a new planet where they wi
Lexie
Mar 29, 2016 Lexie rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-owned-read
When last we checked in on the intrepid crew of the Galahad, a coup is averted, relationships are broken, and they’re all pretty lucky to get through the Kulpier Belt. This time around we get more alien life forms (they kind of look like birds…sort of)! And more angst! And someone is going to die–Lita’s second in command in the sick bay Alexa is having prophetic, but morbid, dreams of a person being mourned and memorialized. Another legacy from the Cassini (truly, the gift that keeps on giving). ...more
Phair
(2.5 stars) Guess I skipped Bk 3... but it didn't matter to this story. Felt there was a little too much emphasis on the romantic dilemmas among the crew. There was a real sense of danger and scientific curiosity that was good. Final developments could lead us in interesting directions. While I didn't read all the Teen Reader's Guide I can see where the author likes to cover topics that would make young people think about their world and the way things (and people) tick. These books are more th ...more
Kali
I regret waiting this long to read this series! I'm flying through it, and it's so so so good. Although, I would perhaps not rate this book at a complete 5, but 4 is just way too low because I honestly couldn't stand reading about Channy in this book. She was super fucking annoying and the entire reason I cannot stand teenagers. Love does not wreck havoc on your life! I understand the point of it in the book and as us seeing Channy grow and mature and all of that crap, but I could have seriously ...more
Rachel
May 20, 2012 Rachel rated it really liked it
Another solid offering from Testa. Again, a totally appropriate sci-fi read geared to teens. As an adult, I am enjoying them too. In this book, the crew made it out of a large passage of space debris, which they figured out functioned like a fence...keeping something out. What they discover are strange triangular flying forms that attach themselves to the spaceship. It's interesting to see how the teens react, given our human history. Again, I think Testa writes a plausible sci-fi book based on ...more
Amy Aelleah
Jun 08, 2016 Amy Aelleah rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
All the romantic teen angst that was mostly absent the last three books has built up and hit this one full force. About the only thing here that I like is that most of these romances haven't worked out. At all. It's nice to see that instead of 'true love/destined to be together' kind of stuff.

On the plot side of things, this is probably my favorite plot since the first book. I like the aliens and I like the choices and decisions that have to be made. Very cool stuff.
Angela
Feb 07, 2012 Angela rated it really liked it
Nope! Wasn’t disappointed at all! Although, I cry what happened to Alexa. And the relationship with her and Bon...plus the relationship with Bon and Triana. I’m trying to figure out in the end who Bon really care about. But I guess it would always be with Alexa. But the story was just so intense. Oh, and the vultures...argh. Make me chill to the bone. Yet, I’m happy that the teenagers survive again, unfortunately for one... or is it two? Why would Triana do that to herself? I hope they find her. ...more
P.M.
Feb 23, 2016 P.M. rated it really liked it
Roc rocks!
Eva
Aug 29, 2011 Eva rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
I'm really losing my patience with these books. Maybe it's because I'm growing (painfully, slowly) out of the YA genre or maybe just because they're stupid. For example, the girl from Europe is called Antoinette because we'd obviously we'd never remember if she had a NORMAL name. How many times does the author have to say, "Bon, the brooding Swede"? Thanks, I can remember that Bon is from Sweden for the first five million times.

The ending of this book was particularly bad.
Ken Eveleigh
Jun 14, 2011 Ken Eveleigh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems the Galahad crew can never catch a break on their trek across the solar system and into uncharted space. Love, death, strange alien machines and wormholes all await our intrepid travellers as they continue their voyage to a new planet around a far away star. If you think life as a teenager on Earth is complicated try it in a spaceship with 250 of your fellow teens. And you can't phone home.
~eddyk
Aug 26, 2011 ~eddyk rated it it was amazing
Wow! Unlike my opinion of The Cassini Code, the conflict was very interesting. In this case, the conflict was not something that made sense to the human's common sense, but I think that that's what made it so interesting. Perhaps it's because the conflict referred to Sci-Fi, but it was still quite interesting. Still no spoilers!
Tracie
May 02, 2011 Tracie rated it really liked it
Mary Mcqueen
Dec 07, 2012 Mary Mcqueen rated it it was amazing
I thought this was a great YA and hard sci-fi adventure. I got through this book and the rest of the series in record time (for me). It's refreshing to have someone writing this kind of Heinlein-like fiction.
thanks Dom.
Kay
Feb 01, 2012 Kay rated it really liked it
I have enjoyed reading the Galahad series - the 5th and last book is out and I can hardly wait to read it. I can hardly wait to find out what happens to Triana in the work hole.
Brandee Terry
Mar 09, 2013 Brandee Terry rated it liked it
Another solid addition to this series. I wasn't thrilled about the romantic emphasis in the story but otherwise it was very good.
Belle
Feb 24, 2012 Belle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: series
amazing can not believe the ending to much of a cliff hanger
May 04, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Ready for the next one.
Clyde Kertzer
Clyde Kertzer rated it it was amazing
Aug 26, 2016
Ronda
Ronda rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Yelena
Yelena rated it it was amazing
Jul 29, 2016
Tara Camille
Tara Camille marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
Amanda
Amanda added it
Jul 25, 2016
Ashlyn Stelmach
Ashlyn Stelmach marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany rated it liked it
Aug 23, 2016
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Brad Martinez
Brad Martinez marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
  • City of Ice (City Trilogy, #2)
  • Shattered (Desire, #2)
  • Assault (Recon Team Angel, #1)
  • Library Wars: Love & War, Vol. 12 (Library Wars: Love & War, #12)
  • Darkness Shall Fall (Aedyn Chronicles #3)
  • Sound Bender (Sound Bender #1)
  • Playing with Fire (School for S.P.I.E.S., #1)
  • Mirage (Above World, #2)
  • The Feros (The Vindico, #2)
  • Neva
  • Randoms (Randoms, #1)
  • The Ascension: A Super Human Clash (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #5)
  • The Foundry's Edge (The Books of Ore, #1)
  • The Rock of Ivanore (Celestine Chronicles, #1)
  • Guardians (Wasteland, #3)
  • Zombie Camp (Zombie Zappers, #1)
  • The Nightworld
  • If I Could Fly
Dom Testa is an award-winning author, speaker, and broadcaster. For more than twenty years he has captained the morning radio show on Denver's Mix100.

His Galahad series of books for young adults (and young-at-heart adults) has an all-new look! Tor is reissuing the adventures in a three-volume omnibus collection. The first volume, Leaving Earth, is available now!

Look for Volumes 2 & 3 in June a
More about Dom Testa...

Galahad (6 books)
  • The Comet's Curse (Galahad, #1)
  • The Web of Titan (Galahad, #2)
  • The Cassini Code (Galahad, #3)
  • Cosmic Storm (Galahad, #5)
  • The Galahad Legacy (Galahad, #6)