Start by marking “What Your Explosive Child Is Trying to Tell You: Discovering the Pathway from Symptoms to Solutions” as Want to Read:

From the author of The Defiant Child comes the first book to connect From the author of the groundbreaking The Defiant Child comes the first book to connect explosive behaviorwhen kids go from Jekyll to Hyde and back in the blink of an eyewith its underlying causes

Does your hitting, kicking, screaming child explode with so little provocation that you can't help but wonder

Published August 12th 2008 by Mariner Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about What Your Explosive Child Is Trying to Tell You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Your Explosive Child Is Trying to Tell You

Elaine
May 02, 2013 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked how this book looks beyond how to handle explosive tantrums themselves, looking at what might be causing them, and how to address the different underlying causes. It covers a LOT of possibilities(transitions, food allergies, defiance (and how defiant and explosive are separate things, although sometimes they overlap in kids), ADHD, anxiety, depression, learning difficulties, sensory processing disorder, immaturity, and sleep problems), and the ways of dealing with each one is specific to ...more
Kami
Oct 16, 2012 Kami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book!!! It was amazing to read because it so PERFECTLY described our six year old. She's always been temperamental, but lately it has been overwhelming. And she snaps between happy to RAGING in a blink of an eye. Anyway, I checked out several books, including: The Challenging Child, and The Everything Parent's Guide to the Defiant Child, and this one. The Challenging Child's chapter on the defiant child was useful, but really didn't exactly fit my daughter. And the Everything Parent ...more
Nmyers
Oct 30, 2010 Nmyers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books for discipline of hard to manage children. my favorite part of this book is the discussion of road maps and how they pertain to a child's acting out behavior. I use this in my home and teach it in my graduate level education classes.
Feb 15, 2012 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I may never get around to finishing this book, but I have learned a lot! We have four kids, and the middle two are sooo...explosive! This has really opened my eyes to the WHY, and how I can help them better.
Angela
Practical advice especially for Autism-spectrum and disturbed children--and adults. Also useful ideas that can be applied to geriatric patients. Caveate for strategy on p 140-143: screen for sexual abuse before applying this strategy successfully.
Joanna
Feb 18, 2014 Joanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book really helpful in giving useful strategies for parenting an explosive child.
Jennifer Bonner
Jan 19, 2014 Jennifer Bonner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started using the techniques in this book right away with my adopted explosive child and saw immediate results.
Lisa
Jul 11, 2015 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: home-improvement
Helpful in dealing with my 2 year old all though the book is geared to 3-10 year olds. I like the way he breaks down the chapters, offers examples and ways to address the situtation.
Alicia
Mar 20, 2013 Alicia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, school-books
Very interesting book. It explains may different reasons why a child may be explosive, what to do and examples. Excellent read for parents and teachers of children that are defiant/argumentative and challenging.
Mo
Aug 08, 2012 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read specific chapters of this book (as recommended by my lovely wife) and found them all to be very enlightening and useful when trying to manage our own little explosive child.
Nancy
Dec 30, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Very instructive. I will think twice before labeling the screaming kid in the grocery store as a "brat", ,now that I know there could be multiple reasons for his explosiveness.
Betty
Feb 28, 2015 Betty rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
This was not very helpful because it dealt with the younger child.
Jase
Apr 30, 2013 Jase rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Closer to 4 and 1/2 stars/
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Sep 08, 2016
Traveling Light
Traveling Light is currently reading it
Aug 24, 2016
Liz
Liz marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
Elliemae Paynter
Elliemae Paynter rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2016
Janae
Janae marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Marie
Marie marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2016
Jessica Romick
Jessica Romick is currently reading it
Jul 10, 2016
Alysson
Alysson marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016
Carolyne
Carolyne marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2016
Emily Brown
Emily Brown marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Tammy
Tammy marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Mary Emmanuelle LLenos
Mary Emmanuelle LLenos marked it as to-read
Jun 10, 2016
Cath
Cath marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Kathleen Lancia
Kathleen Lancia rated it liked it
May 23, 2016
Alex Kazandjieva
Alex Kazandjieva is currently reading it
May 12, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Disconnected Kids: The Groundbreaking Brain Balance Program for Children with Autism, ADHD, Dyslexia, and Other Neurological Disorders
  • SOS: Help for Parents
  • The Difficult Child
  • It's So Much Work to Be Your Friend: Helping the Child with Learning Disabilities Find Social Success
  • Your Ten to Fourteen Year Old
  • The User's Guide to the Human Mind: Why Our Brains Make Us Unhappy, Anxious, and Neurotic and What We Can Do about It
  • A Child's World: Infancy Through Adolescence
  • The Minds of Boys: Saving Our Sons from Falling Behind in School and Life
  • Ms. Moffett's First Year: Becoming a Teacher in America
  • 10 Days to a Less Defiant Child: The Breakthrough Program for Overcoming Your Child's Difficult Behavior
  • Raising Confident Boys: 100 Tips For Parents And Teachers
  • Asperger Syndrome and Long-Term Relationships
  • Your Defiant Child: Eight Steps to Better Behavior
  • House Calls: How We Can All Heal the World One Visit at a Time
  • Kids, Parents, and Power Struggles: Winning for a Lifetime
  • How Children Raise Parents: The Art of Listening to Your Family
  • Parenting the Strong-Willed Child: Fortifying Our Youth and Healing Our Prodigals
  • Ethnicity and Family Therapy