Start by marking “What Your Explosive Child Is Trying to Tell You: Discovering the Pathway from Symptoms to Solutions” as Want to Read:

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  11 reviews

From the author of The Defiant Child comes the first book to connect From the author of the groundbreaking The Defiant Child comes the first book to connect explosive behavior—when kids go from Jekyll to Hyde and back in the blink of an eye—with its underlying causes

Does your hitting, kicking, screaming child explode with so little provocation that you can't help but wonde

Published August 12th 2008 by Mariner Books

To ask other readers questions about What Your Explosive Child Is Trying to Tell You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Your Explosive Child Is Trying to Tell You

Elaine
I liked how this book looks beyond how to handle explosive tantrums themselves, looking at what might be causing them, and how to address the different underlying causes. It covers a LOT of possibilities(transitions, food allergies, defiance (and how defiant and explosive are separate things, although sometimes they overlap in kids), ADHD, anxiety, depression, learning difficulties, sensory processing disorder, immaturity, and sleep problems), and the ways of dealing with each one is specific to ...more
Nmyers
One of the best books for discipline of hard to manage children. my favorite part of this book is the discussion of road maps and how they pertain to a child's acting out behavior. I use this in my home and teach it in my graduate level education classes.
Kami
I loved this book!!! It was amazing to read because it so PERFECTLY described our six year old. She's always been temperamental, but lately it has been overwhelming. And she snaps between happy to RAGING in a blink of an eye. Anyway, I checked out several books, including: The Challenging Child, and The Everything Parent's Guide to the Defiant Child, and this one. The Challenging Child's chapter on the defiant child was useful, but really didn't exactly fit my daughter. And the Everything Parent ...more
Angela
Practical advice especially for Autism-spectrum and disturbed children--and adults. Also useful ideas that can be applied to geriatric patients. Caveate for strategy on p 140-143: screen for sexual abuse before applying this strategy successfully.
Joanna
I found this book really helpful in giving useful strategies for parenting an explosive child.
Jennifer Bonner
I started using the techniques in this book right away with my adopted explosive child and saw immediate results.
Alicia
Very interesting book. It explains may different reasons why a child may be explosive, what to do and examples. Excellent read for parents and teachers of children that are defiant/argumentative and challenging.
I may never get around to finishing this book, but I have learned a lot! We have four kids, and the middle two are sooo...explosive! This has really opened my eyes to the WHY, and how I can help them better.
Mo
I read specific chapters of this book (as recommended by my lovely wife) and found them all to be very enlightening and useful when trying to manage our own little explosive child.
Nancy
Very instructive. I will think twice before labeling the screaming kid in the grocery store as a "brat", ,now that I know there could be multiple reasons for his explosiveness.
Jase
Closer to 4 and 1/2 stars/
Bridget Wietecha
Bridget Wietecha is currently reading it
Dec 25, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Lady
Lady marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Ig-88
Ig-88 is currently reading it
Sep 09, 2014
Kim Marrero
Kim Marrero marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Jill
Jill added it
Aug 11, 2014
Rs
Rs marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Tamra Sheldon
Tamra Sheldon marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
R Latimore
R Latimore marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
The Defiant Child: A Parent's Guide to Oppositional Defiant Disorder Dr. Riley's Box of Tricks: 80 Uncommon Solutions for Everyday Parenting Problems Depressed Child: A Parent's Guide for Rescusing Kids