Start by marking “Reynard the Fox or the Ghost Heath Run” as Want to Read:
Reynard the Fox or the Ghost Heath Run

Reynard the Fox or the Ghost Heath Run

3.85  ·  Rating Details  ·  13 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews
1920. English poet, dramatist and novelist who was Poet Laureate of England from 1930 until his death. Reynard the Fox is one of his long narrative poems. See other titles by this author available from Kessinger Publishing.
Hardcover
Published January 1st 2005 by Kessinger Publishing (first published October 1919)

To ask other readers questions about Reynard the Fox or the Ghost Heath Run, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reynard the Fox or the Ghost Heath Run

Miriam
I am not the audience for this book. Long, narrative poetry is not my preferred sort, and I am not a sport-hunting enthusiast. I certainly don't valorize fox-hunting the way Masefield does, calling it a "beauty and delight" -- in his introduction he writes that "Hunting makes more people happy than anything I know. When people are happy together, I am quite certain that they build up something eternal, something both beautiful and divine, which weakens the power of all evil things upon this life ...more
Taro
Delightfully entertaining.
The story of a fox-hunt in England, feels and smells English, all the weird British geographic descriptors (what the heck's a 'copse'?), makes you feel either on the hunt or on the run.
Some parts hilariously funny, some parts tense and nerve-wracking. Run, little fox, run!
And some really great parts were where he would describe the fox 'seeing' scents, as foxes have great sense of smell.

ETA
I found Disney made a short about fox hunting, which is basically the same thing.
Michael Spring
Apr 10, 2013 Michael Spring rated it really liked it
Don't bother with the first half where the people gather for the hunt. Cut to the chase, as they say, and if you can, read this poem out loud to someone, preferably in front of an open fire, with a glass of something to lubricate the vocal chords.
Stephen Brooke
Dec 04, 2011 Stephen Brooke rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
It may not be Paradise Lost but it's a lot more fun, as long narrative poems go. There are suggestions of racism or, at least, a certain class snobbishness in it, but I guess that's how the fox hunters portrayed here actually were! At any rate, we'll all be rooting for Reynard, won't we?
Nettle
Sep 28, 2013 Nettle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Picked this up off carboot earlier, 1923 edition.
JaneO
JaneO rated it really liked it
Jul 21, 2016
Peter Gardner
Peter Gardner rated it it was ok
Mar 28, 2016
Kelly Harris
Kelly Harris rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
C.A.
C.A. marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2016
Brandon Barton
Brandon Barton marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
Gus
Gus marked it as to-read
Dec 28, 2015
Rene Lathrop
Rene Lathrop rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Stephen Robertson
Stephen Robertson marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2015
di Pierce
di Pierce marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Fae Movana
Fae Movana marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Stephen
Stephen is currently reading it
Feb 15, 2015
Justin Miller
Justin Miller marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Melissa Blanz
Melissa Blanz marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Wesley
Wesley marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Jacque Summers
Jacque Summers marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Anneliese
Anneliese rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2014
Daniel Gibbons
Daniel Gibbons marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Linda Bender
Linda Bender rated it it was amazing
Dec 06, 2013
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2013
Cydni Perkins
Cydni Perkins rated it did not like it
Aug 07, 2013
Bethany
Bethany rated it it was ok
Jun 05, 2013
Masefield was born in Ledbury, a rural area in England to George Masefield, a solicitor and Caroline. His mother died giving birth to his sister when Masefield was only 6 and he went to live with his aunt. His father died soon after. After an unhappy education at the King's School in Warwick (now known as Warwick School), where he was a boarder between 1888 and 1891, he left to board the HMS Conwa ...more
More about John Masefield...