Flatlander

Flatlander (Known Space)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  1,890 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Gil "The Arm" Hamilton was one of the top operatives of ARM, the elite UN plice force. His intuition was unfailingly accurate, his detective skills second to none, and his psychic powers -- esper sense and telekinesis -- were awesome. Now you can read all the classic stories of the legendary ARM operative, collected in one volume for the first time -- plus, an all-new, nev...more
Published (first published June 1995)

Andreas
All the Gil “The Arm” Hamilton stories collected in one volume with a previously unpublished story. These are good SciFi murder mysteries set in the Known Space universe. It just goes to show that Niven has a devious mind. As he says himself, SciFi murder stories are tricky since the reader must know all the “rules” of the environment in order to have a shot at solving the mystery himself.

Note: Most of the stories were previously published in “The Long Arm of Gil Hamilton”.

Leo Knight
A collection of stories in Niven's "Known Space" universe, featuring Gil "The Arm" Hamilton, essentially noir-ish detective stories with SF elements. For sheer science fiction mindbenders, Niven always delivers. However, some of the stories feel a bit dated, having been written mostly in the '70s. I especially noted his pre-AIDS view of casual sex. Also, Niven seems to want to slide in political digs, e.g. one particularly reviled group are called "Naderites", most of the problems of the world a...more
Traummachine
This is a collection of 5 stories, varying from 50-115 or so pages each. Niven did a great job of fleshing out this point in his Known Space timeline, and with the main characters constant in these tales it allowed him to spend more time on plot and social commentary and less on developing new characters over and over. Actually, it also allowed him to flesh out the main characters more fully -- with 5 stories, there were 5 different sets of circumstances for them to react to.

Again Niven reminded...more
Patrick
A friend recommend the exploits of Gil Hamilton, ARM detective, to me. My own series is focused on a detective, so I like to read other science fiction detective stories. The five novellas/novelettes included here were written by Larry Niven between 1968 and 1995. The stories are:

Death by Ecstasy
The Defenseless Dead
ARM
The Patchwork Girl
The Woman in Del Rey Crater

Gil was born on Earth and emigrated to the Belt, where several years later he is injured in an explosion while trying to move an astero...more
Jen
There was some overlap to this book and Ringworld, yet I'm glad that I read Ringworld first as Larry Niven didn't explain Puppeteers, Kzintzi, or the inhabitants of Jinx at all. He just sort of assumed you knew what they were about. He also did very little by way of explaining General Products hulls. Nonetheless, this was a charming little novella and great fun to read as a sequel to Ringworld.
Jimagn
I don't what it is about Larry Niven that I enjoy his writing so much, but there it is. If I were on a desert island and could have books from only one author, they would likely be his. Gil Hamilton stories weren't always my favorites of the Niven oeuvre, but going back to them I find great enjoyment. This version also has some comments from Niven which only add to an appreciation of his craft and creativity. Fortunately for me Larry Niven has been a prolific author.
Freadizt
Niven's favorites (smoking, alcohol/drugs, sex, psi power,
criminals for organs & 'Del Rey Cracker') wrapped in CSI.
Darth
Gil "the ARM" Hamilton stories are not my faves in the Niven-Verse, but they are still better than average, and a lot of writers have made careers out of writing lesser work.

Set in the future these are more social commentary than hard edged sci-fi, though the world they take place in are well constructed and fleshed out, if not all that creatively imagined.
In short, this isn't the SMOKE RING, or RINGWORLD in terms of setting, but it is well worth reading if you are a Niven fan.
Camille
The compiled stories of ARM detective Gil Hamilton. This book is placed in Earth's future, the years around 2123. Gil has an invisible third arm made via psychic powers, from when he lost one of his arms mining in space. This unique power helps him solve interplanetary murders.

There were a couple moral things in this book that made me disappointed; However, overall I liked the concept, and found it to be an entertaining read.
Brett
Collects all of the Gil "The Arm" Hamilton stories, which are sci-fi mysteries set within Known Space. Four of these are short stories and one is a novella. The anthology is bookended by its weakest entries - which are decent - but everything in the middle of the book is great, including the sizable novella.

Death by Ecstasy 3/5

The Defenseless Dead 4/5

ARM 5/5

Patchwork Girl 5/5

The Woman in Del Rey Crater 3/5
Greg
This is a collection of longish short stories and a novella that are science fiction mysteries. If you liked Asimov's robot series, you would probably like these. They are mostly locked room mysteries. The science fiction angle mostly explores the ethical challenges of a society that depends on transplants to extend lives, effectively making people immortal.
Patrick
Intriguing science fiction detective short stories... the discussion and implications of "organlegging" - forced organ "donations" of convicted criminals via the death penalty - didn't seem that far-fetched given the ethical and moral attitudes of our current culture.

Some unfortunate ancillary content of a sexual nature.
Cory Hughart
I'm a little put off by large volumes of short stories; it's hard to know where to start, and what to read next. While I'm still having trouble with that process in consuming Niven's Known Space stories, this was a pleasant read, reminding me a bit of Asimov's Caves of Steal.
Shannon Appelcline
Overall, a good collection of SF/mystery stories. The Defenseless Dead and the Pathwork Girl are the strongest pieces, while the final story, The Woman in Del Rey Crater, is a slightly weak end to the series, but not a bad one.
Gail
Sep 11, 2007 Gail is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
This book has been on my 'must read' list for so long, that I no longer remember the 'why'. But I found it for $3.95 on a closeout shelf and picked it up.

It's interesting, so far...
Sara
I freaking love Gil Hamilton. I only hope that someday I can write a sci-fi mystery that's half as good.
Kevin
fun scifi read. Explores some interesting ethical dilemmas and concepts about life and recycling.
Zachary Stewart
Probably my least favorite known space story line. It is ok, sure, but nothing special.
Mf
Where mystery meets scifi and the crack tail goes down smooth.
Dave Holzer
Loved it. Scifi genre detective stories!
Jan
More Known Space. Fun read.
Andrea
Jan 13, 2011 Andrea marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Sci-fi Mystery!
Sandmancpp
Sandmancpp marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Codgerette
Codgerette marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Benjamin
Benjamin marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
  • The Menace from Earth (Future History, #18)
  • Prince of Mercenaries (Falkenberg's Legion, # 1)
  • Retief: Envoy to New Worlds (Retief, #1)
  • The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell (Stainless Steel Rat, #9)
  • Across Realtime
  • Telempath
  • Cerberus: A Wolf in the Fold (The Four Lords of the Diamond, #2)
  • In the Ocean of Night (Galactic Center, #1)
  • Otherness
  • Nine Tomorrows
  • Trader to the Stars
  • Expedition To Earth
  • The Science Fiction Hall of Fame: Volume 2B
Laurence van Cott Niven's best known work is Ringworld (Ringworld, #1) (1970), which received the Hugo, Locus, Ditmar, and Nebula awards. His work is primarily hard science fiction, using big science concepts and theoretical physics. The creation of thoroughly worked-out alien species, which are very different from humans both physically and mentally, is recognized as one of Niven's main strengths...more
More about Larry Niven...
Ringworld (Ringworld, #1) The Mote in God's Eye (Moties, #1) Lucifer's Hammer The Ringworld Engineers (Ringworld, #2) Footfall