Start by marking “Soft Focus” as Want to Read:
Soft Focus

Soft Focus

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  1,918 ratings  ·  53 reviews
With her hallmark blend of sparkling style and wit, intricate suspense, and steamy passion, Jayne Ann Krentz is truly one of a kind. One of today's premier storytellers, she has more than twenty-three million copies of her novels in print. Now the phenomenal New York Times bestselling author spins her latest scintillating tale: a story of two people bound together by that ...more
Published December 27th 1999 by Putnam Adult (first published December 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Soft Focus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Soft Focus

Jacob Proffitt
Since this is the newest of my recently acquired Krentz stash, I saved it for last. Unfortunately, as it turns out to be my least favorite of the group. While good enough as a romance, the story had some real weaknesses that interfered with my ability to simply enjoy.

First, and most significant (to me), it jumped perspective all over the place. With romance, as a genre, you expect to jump pretty freely between the two main protagonists. But this novel jumped into random people (mostly bad guys)
Serban Georgiana
Jayne Ann Krentz/Amanda Quick ,acesta a fost primul detaliu care m-a atras atunci cand am cumparat cartea.
De obicei cartile historical-romance scrise de ea mi-au cam placut,si am fost tare curioasa sa citesc si altceva ,asa ca am zis de ce nu ?
Din descrierea cartii am inteles ca este o carte de actiune,si chiar am fost intrigata datorita relatiei de rivalitate dintre cele doua personaje principale,dar realitatea este alta atunci cand incepi citirea propriuzisa a cartii.
Chiar mi-a placut prima ju
Janellie
i always look forward in reading jayne ann krentz books. I like the idea of the lead characters being into each other no matter how they deny and contradict each other. I always like the mystery suspense and I always want to find out who is the culprit. It is always explained how this is so... but in this story i feel it didnt elaborate much on the reason , the rationale behind why the theft at Escalibur, the reason why such theft is done, how tyler Page got to know Gillian and she being the fem ...more
Stacie  M. Ritchie
This is one of the better Jayne Ann Krentz books that I have read. Elizabeth Cabot has been focused on running her late aunt’s business since her death. Jack Fairfax has had his own agenda in his business dealings since the death of his father many years before. The book opens with them in an argument that drives them apart. For six months they are weary around each other, but when some corporate espionage happens they must work together. When their relationship turns in a different direction th ...more
Doretta
Most of the books I've read by Jayne Krentz are about the Arcane Society and the characters' different talents. This was just a romance/mystery with normal people. Not bad. I didn't figure out the bad guy until the end, which always makes for an interesting read. Now, I always got upset with Patricia Cornwall introducing the villian in the last part of the book, which give you no incentive to try to solve the mystery instead of just going along for the ride. This villian was sort of like that, i ...more
Barbara
I actively disliked this book until the last disc (of 9). Even the last disc didn't save it from one star, though. I understand that the fact that I do not "appreciate" film noir--at all (even though Casablanca is one of my favorite movies)probably influenced me strongly...negatively. So if you do appreciate film noir, you might well like this quite a bit.

Back to say--Krentz did an excellent job of evoking the feel of film noir. (Which no doubt reinforces why I didn't like it.)
Mindy
I read the reviews of this one before I started reading the book, so I went in believing it would be pretty good. I wasn't disappointed. This is definitely one of the best books Krentz has written! I loved Elizabeth and was actually really glad she wasn't the ice princess I thought she'd be after having read the reviews.
Carrie
3.5*
Grade B-

A pretty typical JAK romantic suspense. A good suspense plot and a decent but somewhat underdeveloped romance. I liked both main characters, and the suspense was well-developed and with enough twists to keep it interesting.
ElaineY
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK & REREAD JULY 15, 2013: 3 STARS

The film noir feel in the Prologue nearly had me abandoning it before I got to chapter 1 then I thought maybe it was deliberate. I'm not a fan of these old B & W movies, whether mysteries or love stories even though it's very unfashionable of me to admit that.

The rest of the book was average and while I liked Jack Fairfax, and to a lesser extent, Elizabeth, they aren't anywhere near my fav pairings. I found it slow-going once they arrive
Rachael
Unabridged audiobook. Completely lame plot, and the main characters are the only interesting ones in the piece. I would not recommend this book with the exception of listening to the unabridged audiobook. Unlike others, this has a husband/wife narrating team (Dick Hill and Susie Breck) who bring life to this dying piece. Nice change of pace to listen to real male/female conversations.
Cruth
Author: Jayne Ann Krentz
First published: 1999
Length: 403 pages (Large Print)
Setting: Contemporary Seattle.
Sex: Some Reasonably explicit but most fade to black. Frequent.
Hero: CEO. Helps save family businesses.
Heroine: Runs a fund that provides startup money.

Enjoyable with a heavy dose of noir film trivia, many could-be femme fatales and a surprising number of deaths. Not overly predictable, in part because important information / clues were withheld. A rapid and confusing romance woven through.

Debbie Katauskas
Awesomely Terrifically Cool Book

A friend of Debbie!!!!! I give this book a 5 Star rating because it's romance with movies!!!!! a bit of mystery plus a bit of humor!!!!!!! I would recommend this to anyone who likes the kind of reading mentioned above!!!!!!!
Jessi
Jack Fairfax is not having a good year. First, he finds out that the woman that he's seeing (Elizabeth Cabot), not only didn't have a good time with him, she was affected by a vicious takeover that he set up. It ended up with a yelling match in a rather well-known restaurant which end with a pitcher of water over his head. He's still linked to her because her foundation is supporting a business that he's consulting and that business has just had their top-secret, going-to-save-the-company produc ...more
Nenya
Same old JAK. got a little boring, despite the twist at the end (view spoiler)
Shirl
This is a story about theft from a company which could bankrupt them. One of the board members has a past with the CEO. They find themselves working together to find the stolen article.
charmaine
Good Read

Keeps you in suspense from beginning to end.Has you wondering just what is going to happen next,Just who is going to be there bad guy.
Crystal
Not one of her best books I have read.....could have been my mood that skewed the feeling of the book also. So, I'm giving this 4 stars. It is was a fairly good read tho.
Jessica
Not my favorite JAK. The banter between Jack and Elizabeth was often more caustic than friendly, and their characters weren't developed well enough for me to really care about them. Part of that might have been the focus on the noir elements, which was an interesting stylistic choice but, well ... noir is stylized bleakness, and JAK tends more towards fizzy. The tones didn't really mesh. It did make me start looking for some Bogart/Bacall titles to borrow from the library though, so that's somet ...more
Joy
Elizabeth Cabot and Jack Fairfax anticipated a heated romance and a profitable business association, but there's a third player in the game. Hayden Shaw is determined to ruin Jack in every possible way. Was it Hayden who arranged the theft of Soft Focus, the new technology that Jack expects will save his company? Elizabeth and Jack, forced into wary partnership again, spend the week at a Sundance-like film festival in attempt to recover the only sample of Soft Focus, and the bodies begin to pile ...more
Maria
Great characters, plot and dialogue. Elizabeth Cabot and Jack Fairfax make interesting business partners, possibly because of their on-going antagonism and constant sparring. They join forces to solve the mystery of the disappearance of a joint venture high-tech product. Throw in fringe movie making in film noir and a town in Colorado ski country where a film festival is being held, and you have all the elements of a good read. It doesn't hurt that Elizabeth and Jack are crazy about each other f ...more
Diane ~Firefly~
This was a re-read. Book still holds up, but then JAK is one of my favorite authors and her stories are like a comfy blanket on a cold day.

This story has Elizabeth and Jack working together to find something stolen from a company Jack is trying to turn around with money from Elizabeth's fund even though they had a personal flame out. I had forgotten who the villain was, so it was a good surprise. I enjoyed the family theme that ran through the book as well. The background of a film noir fest was
Paraphrodite
Disappointing, I did not like how Elizabeth sounded.
Linda
A story of high-tech theft and intrigue. Throw in an independent film festival (film noir) set in a resort town in Colorado (although it sounds suspicously like the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah), complete with a femme fatale and a good dose of heroes and villians, and a constant reminder that, as in film, nothing is as it seems. Entertaining enough story, although unbelievable in the sense that a real CEO and money person would not go about solving a high-tech crime in this way in r ...more
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
Excalibur has been stolen by one of the scientist who works for the company. Jack, the Company’s CEO and Elizabeth, investor, combine efforts to find Excalibur before the news got out that Excalibur was no longer in the hands of the company causing other investors to pull out of the deal. Dick Hill and Susie Breck did an okay job in storytelling.
Diana Dupre
A cross between a mystery, murder and romance. The character build up was great, I really felt like I knew each personality and the way they reacted to situations fit nicely with who the writer created.

Nice twist towards the end, I didn't expect the "who done it" to be that person.
Cathi
Dawn was right, this book is a little boring. I couldn't care about the people or the technology or the convention or mystery. I kept thinking it would get interesting but it never did. The only good thing about it was that it was better than the cowboy book. But, what isn't?
Jayne Ann Krentz ...: Soft Focus (1999) 1 2 Sep 27, 2012 01:06PM
  • Don't Look Back (Lake/March, # 2)
  • Zinnia (St. Helen's, #2)
  • Dangerous Games
The author of over 50 consecutive New York Times bestsellers, JAYNE ANN KRENTZ writes romantic-suspense in three different worlds: Contemporary (as Jayne Ann Krentz), historical (as Amanda Quick) and futuristic (as Jayne Castle). There are over 30 million copies of her books in print.

She earned a B.A. in History from the University of California at Santa Cruz and went on to obtain a Masters degre
More about Jayne Ann Krentz...
Running Hot (Arcane Society, #5) Fired Up (Arcane Society, #7) (Dreamlight Trilogy, #1) Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, #3) All Night Long White Lies (Arcane Society, #2)