Start by marking “Final Exam (A Murder 101 Mystery #4)” as Want to Read:
Final Exam (A Murder 101 Mystery #4)

Final Exam (Murder 101 Mystery #4)

St. Thomas, the small college north of New York City where Professor Alison Bergeron teaches, has had its share of scandals—on and off campus; among both students and staff; and, lo and behold, with Alison herself. So when one of St. Thomas’s resident directors goes mysteriously, scandalously missing, the administration wants to keep a lid on it. With only five weeks lef

Published November 30th 2010 by Minotaur Books (first published December 8th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Final Exam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Exam

Shannon
Having read all of Barbieri's books in rapid succession, I find it difficult to describe this one without repeating what I've already said. Yes, it's that similar to her other books. This time Alison Bergeron is forced to play the role of RD in one of the dorms in her university after the former RD goes missing. Alison, desperate to go back home so she can spend more private time with her boyfriend, Detective Bobby Crawford, decides to find the RD. Mayhem ensues.

Here's the thing: if I had to say
Joanne
Jun 13, 2010 Joanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I think I skipped #3 in this series because I didn't like #2, but I enjoyed this one. Although it's a flimsy idea that Allison would ever have to substitute for a missing residence-hall director, it gives her an excuse to be on campus and poke around in The Case of the Missing RD. I also enjoyed this one because she didn't have to stumble over any bodies -- which always seems a little far-fetched -- just deal with a within-the-realm-of-possibility narcotics investigation. And her relationship wi ...more
Libby
(E-Lib) Wow, Max is even more annoying in this book. How juvenile and selfish can she be? I can't believe she painted Alison's bedroom!
♥Jamie
Apr 28, 2013 ♥Jamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Final exam takes us on another mysterious journey with Dr. Alison Bergeron, professor of English. Maggie Barbieri made me a fan right off with book one, and I've loved every one since. With fun characters, dry, witty humor, and a mystery that keeps you guessing until the end, the Murder 101 series will have you laughing to tears in minutes.

Summary:
Dr. Alison Bergeron is on thin ice. The hi-jinks she continually gets up to are not small, and an administration that already finds her difficult, is
Bookworm1858
May 02, 2010 Bookworm1858 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010, mystery
Summary: Dr. Alison Bergeron is on shaky ground after previously being involved in three other mysterious affairs on campus so when the dean says that she "can" take the place of a missing residence director, she cannot argue. Alas that means leaving her recently separated best friend in her house and also precludes private time with her hot cop boyfriend. Naturally she goes looking for that residence director, uncovering some secrets along the way.

Why I Read: It was featured on my library's she
Renee
Dec 08, 2012 Renee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I love this series. I love English Professor Alison Bergeron, I love the setting of St. Thomas College and surrounds, I love the way Barbieri writes. Even though I sometimes start finding myself getting frustrated with Alison -- as I do with Hannah Swensen -- Barbieri dials things back just before the frustration fully sets in. It's a skill that I never noticed before but that I think it critical for an author -- recognizing who you're writing for and making sure not to alienate her. I think it' ...more
Cherie
This is the third book I've read by this author...and I liked it as well. As noted, the series is about a woman named Alison, who teaches English at a small Catholic college in New York.

When a resident director goes missing, she is asked to fill in for him and moves into a dorm with her dog, Trixie. Wayne Brookwell, the missing man, is spotted hiding out on campus and Alison realizes that there is a connection to one of her bosses—a stern nun named Sister Mary. Wayne seems to have formed a clos
Teena in Toronto
I am enjoying this series and liked this book.

In this book, Alison discovered things (such as where Wayne was) rather than actively investigated things. She's a professor not a detective. In previous books, though I've enjoyed them, having her poke her nose in things wasn't really all that believable.

I found the side story of Max and Fred breaking up and Max being so self-centred kind of annoying. If Max was my friend, I would have dump her a longtime ago. It was good to see Alison finally stand
April
Sep 15, 2012 April rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty mediocre mystery, I thought. The premise is good...a female professor at a small Catholic primarily women's college with a handsome if Aspergers policeman boyfriend and a penchant for investigating mysteries and speaking her mind. But I found the characters wooden. The best friend is not really a good friend, so it's unclear why they remain friends. The main character is unbelievable obtuse at times. And there's a fine line between writing a snarky but likeable character ad wri ...more
Susan
When a young residence director disappears, the powers-that-be at Saint Thomas University insist that professor Alison Bergeron take his place--she's in their bad books because of her repeated involvement with crime. But her first day in her new quarters, Alison (and her policeman boyfriend Crawford) find a souvenir of the missing R.D. that puts a new light on his missing status. Alison is unhappy to be moving from her own house, but glad to get away from her best friend Max, who has moved in wi ...more
Nora-adrienne
Jan 20, 2011 Nora-adrienne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozies, mystery
You just gotta love Alison Bergeron... No matter which way she turns, no matter how hard she tries, she ends up in trouble of one sort or another. One of the dorm directors goes missing and the President of the school gleefully dumps the job of Temporary RD onto her.

She's not a happy camper, especially when she finds her new toilet stopped up with a brick of heroin. What can I tell you... it's another trip on the Cyclone Roller Coaster life of Prof. Alison Bergeron and her boyfriend Det. Bobby
Julia
I just knew being a professor was way more exciting than grading papers and working on dissertations. Alison Bergeron stumbles across odd happenings yet again on her college campus. The semester is almost over, the resident director of one of the dorms disappears and Alison is tapped to move in as a replacement. The story moves quickly and Alison's boyfriend, police detective Bobby Crawford is back, along with a few other favorites.
Beth
Dec 09, 2009 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, read-in-2010
I positively LOVED Barbieri's 1st book (Murder 101), but this fourth outing isn't nearly as good. She's becoming very formulaic - bumbling amateur sleuth (who calls her hot cop boyfriend only by his last name) yet somehow solves the mystery. That's why I liked her first one - Barbieri completely avoided this stereotype. Hopefully her next one will be better and be more along the lines of the first.
Emma
Feb 25, 2010 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Natasha Jackson
Nov 28, 2012 Natasha Jackson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed tis book. The only problem is Max. In the first book I liked her but now she is annoying. She is not a good friend. I was happy and upset when Alison finally grew a backbone when dealing with Max. She stood up for herself but when it came down to holding Max accountable she backed down. They relationship doesn't seem to have changed much after all this happened. Max will still run over Alison.
Linda
English professor Alison Bergeron is forced to do extra duty as a resident director at one of the St. Thomas dorms when the regular RD disappears during spring break. A few academic stereotypical characters, a nun, a priest, a wild best friend and a police detective boyfriend all in recurring roles. Wish the covers weren't so stupid for this series, because the books are well written and fun.
Caroline
May 12, 2010 Caroline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Maggie Barbieri's Allison Bergeron series. This is another good solid entry and involves more antics on campus. Temporarily forced to live in a dorm, Allison is thrust into a situation that is not of her making but she is determined to straighten it out. Good humor, well-defined characters and a solid plot make this a great read.
Jan 20, 2011 Jennifer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2011
Alison Bergeron is a college instructor who knows what's politic, so when the dean asks her to move in and be the residential advisor in the dorm where the last RA went missing, she says yes. But the hardships of dorm living are the least of here worries once she finds the brick of drugs in her dorm room toilet.
Annsart304
Oct 11, 2011 Annsart304 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely love these books. The author has a wonderful style of writing. Her teachers of English are very proud. The characters are charming. The story is inviting. Not a book you could read in bed with a loved on because you will wake them up laughing! I highly recommend each and every book in this series and I cannot wait for the next book. Many positive thoughts to Maggie Barbieri!
Susan
Feb 16, 2012 Susan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Alison, an English professor at St. Thomas University in the Bronx, is coerced into becoming the temporary resident director of Siena dorm after popular RD Wayne disappears. Det. Bobby Crawford of the, Alison's boyfriend, who happens to be an NYPD detective helps her move and discovers a brick of heroin hidden in the bathroom. Mildly amusing.
angie
Feb 27, 2010 angie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in the series. Sarcastic, smart, funny with believable characters. the jacket of this one says that the books are being made into a tv show with Kristin Davis (Charlotte from 'Sex and the City) playing the lovable Professor Alison Bergeron. This plot is a little thin and gets a little wacky at times compare to the previous 3 books but still enjoyable just the same.
Pat
Mar 18, 2014 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Cute mystery of professor who is forced to become the RA because the real RA is missing.
Can she find them? Who is dealing drugs? How come they sign people in and out of dorm?
Good characters.
Strong heroine.
Kristin
Though Final Exam isn’t as laugh-out-loud quirky as Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum series, it has the same offbeat charm—thanks, especially, to its motley cast of characters.

Read the full review at http://www.nightsandweekends.com/arti...
Elizabeth
I read this book for my mystery book club and thought it was well plotted, a good summer read. The dectective Allison Bergeron, an untenured English professor, had lots more free time than any untenured professor that I ever encountered.
Courtney
Apr 14, 2010 Courtney rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Karen
This was another solid volume in the Murder 101 series. I enjoyed this plot more, as it was focused on the main character's job at a college. I didn't feel as though I learned more about any of the characters, so a bit more depth to the characters would have been nice.
Sharon
The story was fine, although I found it easier to put down than the previous books. The storyline about Max is really annoying. I also think that Bobby is way too long-suffering. Anyone else would have ditched Alison for her meddling behavior by this point.
Laura Salas
Nov 15, 2011 Laura Salas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult, mystery
Feb 20, 2010 Laura rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Easy, fun read. The fourth in the series with the same good / likable characters, but the plot was a tad flat. The ending has me thinking a major relationship will be better developed in the next installment.
Nancy
Alison Bergeron teaches English in a Catholic college in Westchester County NY. She is forced to be a resident director when the present one goes missing. She and her NYC cop boyfriend try to find him so she can move back home. Drugs are involved as is another student.
Cheryl
Alison is not crying over everything anymore like she did in the 1st couple of books in this series. This book was a little different because no one died, but the mystery was still interesting and I think it moved the characters forward.
  • Bride and Doom (Carnegie Kincaid, #6)
  • Ink Flamingos (Tattoo Shop Mystery, #4)
  • The Northbury Papers (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #2)
  • Trouble in Bloom (Nina Quinn, #4)
  • Silent Auction (Josie Prescott Antiques Mystery #5)
  • Harrowing Hats (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #4)
  • Christietown (A Cece Caruso Mystery, #4)
  • Last Writes (Forensic Handwriting Mystery #4)
  • Never Say Sty (Kendra Ballantyne, Pet-Sitter Mystery #7)
  • Gaits of Heaven (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #17)
  • A Rose from the Dead (A Flower Shop Mysteries, #6)
  • Guise & Dolls (Gretchen Birch, #4)
  • Casket Case (A Callie Parrish Mystery #3)
  • The Proof is in the Pudding (A Della Cooks Mystery #3)
  • The Bone Fire (Gil Montoya Mystery #2)
  • Tumbling Blocks (Benni Harper, #13)
  • Preaching to the Corpse (Advice Column Mystery, #2)
202369
Maggie Barbieri is the author of the Murder 101 series, which is comprised of Murder 101 (2006); Extracurricular Activities (2007), Quick Study (2008), Final Exam (2009) and Third Degree (due November 2010.) She lives in the New York metro area/Hudson Valley with her husband, and two children. By day she's a writer and editor of college textbooks. She is currently at work on the sixth book in the ...more
More about Maggie Barbieri...

Murder 101 Mystery (7 books)
  • Murder 101 (A Murder 101 Mystery, #1)
  • Extracurricular Activities (A Murder 101 Mystery, #2)
  • Quick Study (A Murder 101 Mystery, #3)
  • Third Degree (A Murder 101 Mystery, #5)
  • Physical Education (A Murder 101 Mystery, #6)
  • Extra Credit (A Murder 101 Mystery, #7)