Start by marking “The Little Colonel” as Want to Read:
The Little Colonel

The Little Colonel (The Little Colonel #1)

1895. Annie Fellows Johnston was a celebrated author of children's and juvenile fiction. She is best known for the Little Colonel series, a semi- biographical opus of 13 novels dealing with the aristocracy of old Kentucky, particularly the story of a young girl, who came to be known as the little Colonel because of her bully mannerisms at the age of 5 which seemed to echo ...more
Published June 1st 2005 by IndyPublish.com (first published 1895)

To ask other readers questions about The Little Colonel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Little Colonel

Melody
Aug 02, 2012 Melody rated it did not like it
Shelves: never-again
Racist, twee, and saccharin-sticky. From the opening scene with the "trawbewwies" right up to the end it was torture of the most sentimental sort. I couldn't stop, it was such a twain weck!
Jessika
Jul 20, 2009 Jessika rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, series, civil-war
When I picked this old book up at my gramma's house this weekend, I didn't think I would like it much. Sometimes when I stay with her, I like picking up some of the books she has sitting on her bookshelf. Call me cheesy, but I like imagining these books in the hands of someone years back, reading with eyes full of entertainment. I mean, c'mon, us readers these days forget how spoiled we are, what with libraries and bookstores galore. We don't realize that at one time, books were scarce and the b ...more
Hannah
I know, I know, it's like a fairy tale. And Shirley Temple played in a much revised version in her glory days.

But it's also utterly charming, and now I know why young heroines in old novels would refer to loving the latest Little Colonel books!
Sharon
May 31, 2011 Sharon rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel
I read as a child and now own all the Little Colonel books. Loved every one of them.
Catherine  Mustread
First of the Little Colonel series, which were later made into a movie starring Shirley Temple, set in the 1880s in Kentucky.  The (old) Colonel served in the Confederate army and disowned his daughter when she married a Yankee.  When he realizes that this keeps him from his granddaughter, who is very much like him, he has to consider whether his love can overcome his pride and loyalty for the southern cause.

From LibriVox.com:  The scene of this story is laid in Kentucky. Its heroine is a smal
Melissa
Oct 11, 2010 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anybody who likes old books
Shelves: old
Teresa
Jun 05, 2014 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved Little Women? Adored Betsy-Tacy? Wish there were more in these delightful series? Then hurrah for the Little Colonel!
A charming series of coming-of-age stories about a little girl in Kentucky at the turn of the century. Lloyd Sherman, the spunky miniature of her grandfather the colonel (hence the nickname), wins the hearts of all who meet her. She and her friends learn valuable life lessons and try to be good people, as did the March sisters of Little Women. They also have amusing adventur
Sara
Oct 08, 2008 Sara rated it it was ok
Mostly I agree with Rachel. This book was too weird not to read (although I guess I would have anyway since I am teaching it). As it seemingly attempts to work as a book to show children they have agency as well as some sort of attempt at showing a North-South reunion, bizarre things abound in the background.

The Little Colonel, we are told, is a butch little girl who reassembles her dead uncle and selfish, stodgy old grandpa. There are episodes in which it almost seems like she can communicate
Pat Jennings
Jul 27, 2013 Pat Jennings rated it liked it
Read several in this series as a child. The writer's setting is in PeeWee Valley, Kentucky, just out of Louisville, Ky. Sweet book that for this time is totally politically incorrect. If you read for the relationship part of the story, taking in consideration for the time the book was written, it is an interesting read.
Rachel Ann Brickner
Oct 11, 2008 Rachel Ann Brickner rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Those interested in Civil War and/or children's lit
I thought this book was so interestingly bizarre and interesting to think about in relation to how race relations and slavery are portrayed in Civil War literature at the time. I won't be reading this children's book again anytime soon, but it will definitely be hanging out in the back of my mind as I try to answer some of the problematic social questions that it raises.
Lourdes
Mar 10, 2015 Lourdes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this quick read. This is one of the first pieces of 19th century children's literature that I feel really captures the essence of a child. Lloyd, or the Little Colonel, feels like a real person to me rather than the caricature of a child.
Dmc
Jul 07, 2016 Dmc rated it really liked it
This is just such a wonderful, sweet story. Classic read right there along with A Little Princess and The Secret Garden. Great chapter book to read to children. I can't help but picture Shirley Temple playing The Little Colonel in the old movie.
Lake Lady
Sep 09, 2014 Lake Lady rated it liked it
Rereading a classic from not only my childhood but my sister's and even my mothers. Fun to revisit but far more dated than I thought it would be.
Elizabeth
Sep 18, 2011 Elizabeth rated it liked it
cute book.
Donna Doyle
Jul 16, 2016 Donna Doyle rated it really liked it
Read the book with Shirley Temple on the cover as it also made it into movie. Memories
Valerie
Valerie rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2008
Siobhan
Siobhan rated it liked it
Nov 02, 2015
Caterina
Caterina rated it liked it
Jul 17, 2010
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Mar 27, 2011
Mazzou B
Mazzou B rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2014
Terri
Terri rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2009
Jennytroberts
Jennytroberts rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2009
David
David rated it it was amazing
Apr 24, 2014
Booklover1951
Booklover1951 rated it liked it
May 15, 2011
Allison Miller
Allison Miller rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2010
Maria
Maria rated it did not like it
Jul 21, 2014
4 Starr Kids
4 Starr Kids rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Karen Thompkins
Karen Thompkins rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2016
Elise
Elise rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2007
Melissa Conley
Melissa Conley rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • A Knight of the White Cross
  • Just Patty
  • Meg and the Disappearing Diamonds (A Meg Mystery, #1)
  • Martin Pippin in the Apple Orchard
  • Jessica and the Secret Star (Sweet Valley Twins, #50)
  • Two Are Better Than One
  • The Hoosier Schoolmaster: A Story of Backwoods Life in Indiana (Illustrated Edition)
  • Donna Parker in Hollywood (Donna Parker, #5)
  • Guns of Thunder (Faith and Freedom #1)
  • The Haunted Attic (Judy Bolton Mysteries, #2)
  • Blood Feud
  • Consider Love
  • New Chronicles of Rebecca
  • A Dog of Flanders
  • The Best of Father Brown
  • The Peterkin Papers
  • Trouble at Lake Tahoe (Nancy Drew, #118)
Annie Fellows Johnston (1863-1931) was an American author of children's fiction who wrote the popular "Little Colonel" series, which was the basis for the 1935 Shirley Temple film The Little Colonel. She was born and grew up in McCutchanville, Indiana, a small unincorporated town near Evansville, Indiana.
More about Annie Fellows Johnston...

The Little Colonel (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Two Little Knights of Kentucky