Start by marking “Blink Of An Eye” as Want to Read:
Blink Of An Eye

Gregg Luke

Blink Of An Eye

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  243 ratings  ·  55 reviews

Published (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Blink Of An Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blink Of An Eye

Sandy
Childhood was a happy, carefree time for Joseph Ramirez. At least that's how he used to remember it. But since the near-fatal traffic accident that landed him in the hospital with brain trauma, he's not so sure. Along with physical pain, Joseph now suffers recurring nightmares. Each night the heart-wrenching dreams grow increasingly vivid and graphicto the point that Joseph's hospital roommate reports that Joseph talks in his sleep, often crying out in anguish and remorse. To complicate matters, ...more
Heather
This is the first novel I have ever read by Gregg Luke and I have to admit I was impressed. Blink of an Eye is a medical/ psychological thriller that looks at the impact of traumatic brain injury on one man's life. Joseph Ramirez leads an ordinary quiet life as a school teacher when he is involved in a car accident that alters his memory forever. Soon bits and pieces of his childhood begin into come back dreams and he learns that it was anything but ideal.
Gregg Luke unravels the page turning plo
LuAnn
Feb 12, 2011 LuAnn added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lds
I had such hopes for this book. I had heard it was fabulous, and I'll admit that the first four chapters had me convinced those readers were right, but by chapter five the book began to slow down and get off track from the real story, and that was very disappointing. (Spoiler alert) However, that is not the only reason I gave the book only 2 stars. I was shocked and offended by the cliched use of dialect for both the Hispanic and German/Scandinavian characters. I've known lots of people from bot ...more
Kathryn
Risa
I read this book for the book club I'm a member of, otherwise I would probably have never picked this up.

The book is about a man named Joseph who is severely injured in a horrible car accident in the first chapter and is in a coma for 3 weeks. Up until then he thought he had had a fairly good life, but could not remember his early childhood. With the accident, Joseph dreams horrific nightmares about his early childhood that set him on a journey to find out the truth about his early years.

Part p
Heather

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. The plot is intriguing, has plenty of twists and is obviously well researched. The details and descriptions are vivid and real, but the scenes of violence are largely sounds heard in the background and emotions the child-Joseph felt, so they shouldn't be at all difficult for any but the very most sensitive readers. My only issue is that he has Joseph's Hispanic mother speaking to him in accented English instead of in Spanish (as she almost certainly would have be
Scott Wright
This was a very good book. To say that there was no LDS link isn't right. In fact it's pretty heavy when he gets a blessing. However beyond that it really isn't. It's an interesting psychological adventure for this poor kid. I didn't really hold that the lawyer who seemed good and ethical would really break the law for no real reason beyond wanting to. Outside of that it seemed all just as believable.
Sheila
I love all of Gregg Luke's books. The thing I like the most, is that they all
are very different. Blink of an Eye starts off with a bang! The first page
has one of the most wonderful hooks that I have ever read! The first line says,
"It happened in a blink of an eye". From there you find out how the main character, Joseph Ramirez, is in an almost fatal car wreck. Gregg is so wonderful at "showing" what happens, that you can almost feel the pain Joseph is going through right after the wreck. He has
E.A.
My mother-in-law lent me this book to read. I am a fan of these types of books because I can get through them quickly and they leave me feeling happy. I hadn't ever read anything by Gregg Luke before and I wasn't sure what to expect. The book fascinated me. It deals with Joseph who is in a car accident. As he is recovering he starts experiencing these nightmares that deal with his past. It is interesting because even as the audience is learning about his past, Joseph wakes up with few recollecti ...more
Cheryl
Different approach to presenting the mystery. The first chapter had me eager to follow Joseph and his progress. The action was in dreams he was having about his forgotten past. Along the way he was helped by some good doctors and his lawyer. Both Joseph and the lawyer were characters I would like to be friends with. It took place in Solvang, CA, one of my favorite towns. The book brought back good memories of our trip there. I could taste the yummy Danish pastry again.
Susan
Joseph Ramirez had head trama as well as other injures in a car accident. While healing after surgery he suffers terrible nightmares and needs to know if they are just dreams or real events that happened in his past before the time his father disappeared when Joseph was 10. More a psychological story about abuse and how the mind works than much real action. Very slight love story thrown in to appease his female readers, I think. A bit different but I enjoyed it.
Sally
Feb 18, 2011 Sally rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all
Interesting story--and a great way to tell it! Joseph is literally hit (in his car) by a cement truck and lives. His rehabilitation takes months and while he starts to heal, he starts dreaming of a life he doesn't remember. Incidently, he is a recent convert to the church while his family is still staunch Catholic. Quite a page turner. I loved that the chapters were so short so I could justify reading one more chapter before I turned out the lights.
Jessica
I enjoyed this book much more than the last Gregg Luke novel I read. This one has very compelling characters and storyline. I feel that when the author is able to make me actually feel an emotion towards the characters then they have done their job well. I felt very angry towards a few different characters in this one. A well-depicted novel of what many children in this world have to endure privately.
John
I like all of Gregg Luke's books, because he puts plenty of legitimate science in the story to make it interesting, but explains it well enough that it can be understood. This book was no exception. It also had enough psychology to really draw me in (I work in behavioral health). The story was very engaging, and I had a hard time putting it down! I think that this is my favorite of Gregg Luke's books.
Jane
This book is really slow to start. So far, there have been a lot of descriptions of pain and medical procedures with some dreams sprinkled in. I am about a quarter of the way in.

UPDATE: Wow, this got really good! I am thinking it is because I stopped listening to to audio book- the reader on it does some really really annoying female voices! Anyway, the book has drive and everything! Almost done...
Katie Watkins
This story starts out quickly--with a serious traffic accident. Joseph is in a coma for 3 weeks and then starts his recovery. He has very disturbing dreams that almost seem like flashbacks to his past--a past that he can't remember (before the age of 10).

There were some twists and turns and it was entertaining, but it was hard to hear about the serious abuse that happened to a child.
Cheri
This book was hard to put down! While recovering from a car accident Joseph starts having dreams of a childhood he doesn't remember having, a violent, often drunk father who takes out his anger on Joseph. Joseph wonders if the dreams are really what happened and if they are real why he has repressed them and why did the accident trigger the dreams to begin with.
Michelle
I liked this story, about a man with rediscovered memories of awful events in his childhood. It moved along well, but I really wasn't comfortable with the level of description of the abuse. Also, some of the characters seemed a little too stereotyped by their language. The romance was nice, but under-developed, almost like an afterthought
Darla
(Genre:LDS fiction/suspense) When Joseph Ramirez awakens from a 3 week coma following a car accident, he begins having disturbing dreams of his childhood. With the help of his psychiatrist he begins to explore repressed memories from a painful childhood, always wondering what was the tragic event that pushed him to 'forget' his life before age 11.
Aimee (Getting Your Read On)
I liked this book and I thought it was well written. I guess it was just hard to read so much of the cruelties and severe abuse(physically, emotionally and mentally)inflicted on a child. It went into great detail and it made me so sad and sick. I know these types of things really do happen and it's just horrible.
Joy Spraycar
I loved this book. The main character is in a horrific car accident, then begins dreaming horrible nightmares. The truth behind them comes out when he visits with his psychiatrist, but suddenly he's under investigation. A great book with twist and turns that keep you turning pages. Great read
Spring Clark
I liked the book, but had a hard time with the blatant physical and verbal abuse the main character had to suffer. Plus, his mother just put up with it. What kind of woman would allow anyone to hurt their children? I just don't get that mentality. No one will ever hurt my children!
Connie
This was a really good book, however, I have a hard time with reading books that truly make my heart ache! I realize this is fiction, but, knowing that child abuse is a very real thing made some parts of this book really hard to listen to (a friend let me borrow her book on CD).
Karen
I actually liked this one alot. Not too much preaching about the church in it, just mentioned it a few times. The plot was great and it made me want to grab his father and shake him. I know there are people out their like him, so, it made it pretty real. An easy, fast read.
Elaine Dransfield
The author did a better job with this book, I feel he was more experienced. He also didn't over use the fact that the main character was LDS whereas in The Survivors one character was constantly teaching the Gospel to the other character (which is fine but not very realistic).
Heather
I liked the suspense. It was really good. But the romance....was like an afterthought. Undeveloped and not believable. Story would have been better without it. Oh, and though it is LDS fiction, that is not a dominant aspect of the story, I would say.
Kristyn
Well written, but sad subject matter - physical and mental abuse. Interesting medical stuff in his books though because the author is a pharmacist. This one is all about psychology. He did a really good job on writing with different accents too.
Leslie
This book was about a very nice man who was a school teacher, who gets in an accident and begins to have nightmares. The nightmares are bringing out abuse he received from the past that he has previously pushed deep inside in order to deal with it.
Nadine
Really good, but not the typical whodunnit. Joseph is in a near-fatal car accident and the head injury shocks his brain into remembering a terrible, reprehensible past. Can you figure out the mystery before the author reveals the truth?
Marie
I enjoyed this book; although the love story part was pretty predictable, the rest of the story was quite good and exciting at times. I listened to it on CD while driving to and fro and it was a good diversion.
  • Between the Lines
  • Of Deadly Descent
  • The Fourth Nephite (The Fourth Nephite, #1)
  • Trespass (Traitor, #3)
  • Legend of the Jewel (Isabelle Webb, #1)
  • Poison (Haggerty Mystery, #6)
  • The Forgotten Warrior
  • All's Fair
  • Methods of Madness
  • Welcome to Stalk Lake City (Rhea Jensen, #2)
  • Freefall (Saint Squad, #1)
  • Wrong Number
  • Agent in Old Lace
  • Code Red
  • Evidence: A Novel of Suspense
  • Out of Nowhere
  • Echoes
  • Before the Dawn
Gregg Luke is a practicing pharmacist. He received his medical training at the University of Utah. He has been writing since he could put pen to paper. He enjoys medical thrillers and is one of the first to work this genre into the LDS market.
More about Gregg Luke...