Start by marking “Addicted” as Want to Read:
Addicted

Addicted

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  417 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Adams writes what it's like playing with the best players in the game, from Gazza to Dennis Bergkamp; and working with some of the most successful managers, including George Graham, Terry Venables, Glenn Hoddle and Arsene Wenger. But above all, his story is that of a winner, a man who has brought the intense determination he has shown on the field to his recovery from illn ...more
Unknown Binding, 384 pages
Published September 1st 1999 by Not Avail (first published September 7th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Addicted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Addicted

Fever Pitch by Nick HornbyInverting the Pyramid by Jonathan  WilsonBrilliant Orange by David WinnerSoccernomics by Simon KuperThe Damned Utd by David Peace
Best Football (Soccer) Books
56th out of 254 books — 214 voters
I'm Not Really Here by Paul LakeBack From the Brink by Paul McgrathAddicted by Tony AdamsGazza  by Paul GascoigneOnly a Game? by Eamon Dunphy
Best Football (Soccer) Biographies
3rd out of 24 books — 3 voters

More lists with this book...

Brad
When I first started following Arsenal seriously back at the beginning of the Wenger era, there were three players who captured my imagination: Vieira, Bergkamp and Adams. I would come to like other players even better than that trio, but those three were my first footballing heroes, and they've always had a special place in my personal Gunners mythology.

I should probably mention that I was living in Florida when Arsene Wenger took over the Arsenal, and it was that move, near to a little Irish
Ashley Brown
Jul 12, 2013 Ashley Brown rated it really liked it
Tony Adams. What a true, loyal footballer - perhaps the best captain that Arsenal have ever had. Of course, asides from his great career, we know all about his struggles away from the pitch with alcohol - so I did wonder how much this would feature in the book.

At times, 'Addicted' is a tad preachy and almost has tinges of 'feel sorry for me', or at least that's the impression I got - however there isn't too much of this and because of that I easily made it through to the end.

For anyone who is i
Motez Bishara
Sep 21, 2014 Motez Bishara rated it liked it
Shelves: sports-books
A solidly good read, though not a great one. Perhaps this is because the book was written 15 years ago, so many of the football references seem a bit dated. But as the title suggests, the crux of this book is about addiction and Adams' story of how he overcame his demons.

There are loads of entertaining stories, mainly off the pitch, which led to the England Captain's revelation that he needed to quit drinking and seek professional help.

At 370 or so pages, however, this book is probably 100 page
...
Apr 22, 2014 ... rated it liked it
تعبني على ما حصلته..اشتريته بدولار واضطريت اشحنه بالبريد لحاله ب 20 دولار بس يستاهل مستر ارسنال

استمتعت بكل الفصول عن ارسنال..من البدايات مع تيري نيل إلى الترقية للفريق الاول مع دون هاوي..من ثورة جورج غراهام وتحويله لمدافع عظيم ورمز لمجموعة صلبة تهوى الانتصارات بفارق هدف والخروج بشباك نظيفة..إلى الهاوية بعد ادمانه للكحول وقيادته للسيارة داخل حديقة احد البيوت وهو مخمور..الاشهر التي قضاها بالسجن كانت فترة تحولية له..اكتسب احترام كثير من المساجين بعد ما وصلته رسالة دعم من مجرم مشهور ومعروف بتشجيعه
Bjorn Hardarson
Jan 31, 2015 Bjorn Hardarson rated it it was amazing
A good story of a footballer that had a huge alcohol problem, wa able to play at a top level both for Arsenal and England and drink heavily. "It did not matter if if we loose I would drown my sorry with booze and if we won I would celebrate with booze"was e.g something Toni Adams said about what he was thinking during a game.
Sean O'Reilly
Oct 21, 2012 Sean O'Reilly rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookcrossing
I picked this up from a charity bookstall in town. Not really sure why I did but it was a thoroughly fascinating book. So much so that I am almost tempted to keep hold of it rather than bookcrossing it. Adams tales of playing for England and Arsenal are interesting. They brought back a few memories of England's fortunes and shed new light for me on the recent-ish history of Arsenal of which I had been more or less oblivious to at the time. However it was his explanation of his addiction and his ...more
Seán McNamara
Dec 31, 2014 Seán McNamara rated it it was ok
The best thing you can say about Tony Adams is he's honest. Not very bright, but very honest.
Anthony Campbell
Oct 16, 2014 Anthony Campbell rated it it was amazing
The best sporting autobiography I have ever read.
Fred Waldens
I couldn't drop the book.
Holly Anderson
Feb 09, 2012 Holly Anderson rated it really liked it
Honest.
Sometimes too honest for his own good!
Tony Adams was a football hero of mine as a kid.
It is disappointing to read how he seemed to take for granted the opportunity that he had... the life that he had... playing football everyday and getting paid to do so... what a wonderful existence! And yet he behaved so atrociously at times.
He was an alcoholic. He was an addict. But why?
He was a talented football player.
I no longer idolise him or admire him.
But I respect his honesty!
Abailart
Mar 02, 2008 Abailart rated it really liked it
Ghost written or not, and not a literary gem, this is a great book and a very honest one. What goes on beeath the surface of a gifted man. How fame and success is never enough. The intense insight and soul vbaring about addiction. The recovery and change and hope. On top of all that some great insights into the beautiful game!
Mike Steven
Jul 25, 2011 Mike Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting because Adams was part of a generation of old-fashioned footballers who used to get drunk after a game and then sweat it out in Monday training. He then had to evolve into a modern footballer with a continental approach.

Interesting.
Jeff Randall
Jul 02, 2013 Jeff Randall rated it liked it
I bought for the Gooner football, but found the personal recovery parts the most compelling. While a fan of Arsenal will enjoy, I think someone in recovery or those wanting to understand that journey will enjoy more.
David Przybylinski
Mar 15, 2012 David Przybylinski rated it liked it
I love Tony Adams, but God, what a train wreck. Glad he sorted himself out. A great player with a bad drinking past. A quick read, with more life than footy.
Patrick
Jul 27, 2011 Patrick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, sport
Amazing biography. I was not a fan of Tony Adams as a player (he did play for Arsenal), but I found a new respect for him from reading this. Brutally honest.
Gary
Jul 25, 2015 Gary rated it it was amazing
A very interesting book by Tony Adams. The book covers his successes and his more troubled times. Well written and an insight into this Arsenal legend.
Conor
Jun 23, 2012 Conor rated it liked it
surprisingly good read, not being an arsenal fan i had my doubts but real insight into his life(his battless) and thoughts on it..
Chris Morgan
Apr 05, 2012 Chris Morgan rated it it was amazing
Honest, funny & a book I couldn't put down.
Would highly recommend to any football fan
Martin Lawlor
Oct 30, 2013 Martin Lawlor rated it liked it
Makes for a very powerful sobering read,if you excuse this alcohol related pun.
Karen Cozens
Apr 01, 2008 Karen Cozens rated it really liked it
Interesting book but proves footballers are to highly paid today
Gjermund Hauge
Aug 03, 2011 Gjermund Hauge rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Herlig bok om og av Tony "mr. Arsenal" Adams 10/10
Carla
A very honest book by a very honest man
Niyi Ajibade
Niyi Ajibade marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Tom Wiley
Tom Wiley rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Alex Ugol
Alex Ugol marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Sammy Engele
Sammy Engele rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Jonny Parshall
Jonny Parshall marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Lee
Lee rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Kieran Gutteridge
Kieran Gutteridge is currently reading it
Mar 30, 2016
  • Clough: The Autobiography
  • Gazza : My Story
  • Keane:  The Autobiography: First Edition
  • Thierry Henry - Lonely at the Top: A Biography
  • Behind the Curtain
  • Seeing Red
  • A Season with Verona: Travels Around Italy in Search of Illusion, National Character . . . and Goals!
  • Fowler: My Autobiography
  • Blessed: The Autobiography
  • Managing My Life: My Autobiography
  • A Home on the Field: How One Championship Team Inspires Hope for the Revival of Small Town America
  • The Italian Job: A Journey to the Heart of Two Great Footballing Cultures