Start by marking “The Variable Man and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Variable Man and Other Stories

The Variable Man and Other Stories

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  12 reviews
The brilliant science-fiction talent of Philip K. Dick is at its best in this new book, which contains one complete short novel & four long novelettes. Here are unusual adventures in the future, powerful stories of such varied subjects as the ultimate guided missile, psi-power crime prevention, mutational supermen & the unexpected in robots.
In an introduction to t
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about The Variable Man and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Variable Man and Other Stories

Raj
Billed as a complete novel along with a selection of shorts, The Variable Man itself is more of a novella these days. A man is pulled accidentally from his own time into the 22nd century where his very existence is a variable factor that the computers planning the war against Centarus can't plan for.

This story is very much of its age, with the idea of all-seeing computers, where you just feed in the data to complex sociological questions and the answer pops right out. Thomas Cole, the variable m
Marts  (Thinker)
The Terran system is encircled by the Proxima Centauri empire with both being constantly at war and developing their own weapons to fight the other. Terran mathematically calculates its chances of winning and develops a bomb called Icarus. With the help of 'The Variable Man' who has arrived from the past by accident in what is called the 'Time Bubble'.......
Don Murphy
Poor Thomas Cole. One day, wandering about a pre WWI world. The next moment, brought 200 years into the future. People studying the past accidently bring Cole to the future and inadvertanly allow him to escape. He goes into a war-torn world, fighting an alien force from Proxima Centuri. They have the Terran forces blocked, and the earth forces will only fight when their odds are in their favor. Each side play a game of chess, moving but never striking. Finally, the earthlings create an ultimate ...more
Ivan Lutz
Jako jako jako stari SF. Znam da je Dick bio pionir u svačemu, ali ne mogu se mislima vratiti u 53. godinu sve da hoću. Ni tata mi se tada nije rodio:)
Dmitry Verkhoturov
Для рассказов Autofac и A World of Talent отсутствуют переводы, читать получится разве что на английском.
Nicholas
Some of Dick's earliest short stories are presented here. And what does the reader find? Signs of genius, signs of what would come, and so forth. All these stories are good. And by that I mean real good. Some of these stories would be latered turned into full novels, such as Dr. Bloodmoney with the character Hoppy Harrington. The very first short story by Dick ever published is here, the Wub one. And already in this first story we can see the potential this man had. Good stuff here.
Susan
Four novelettes & a complete short novel ('The Variable Man') by Mr Dick. Includes 'The Minority Report' (shock of shocks, it's better than the movie). I remember liking 'Autofac' the most, though it's been a while since I last read it. Overall, it's a collection of good, not great, classic Dick fare (read: pre- Valis). Nice to have around to thumb through every so often. And the cover (1957 printing) is nifty, too.
DeAnna Knippling
These are stories from the early 1950s, and it shows - not my favorite writing era, because everything has to be so bombastic and full of things that we find dated now, stylistically. Oh, the adverbs...

At any rate, I could have passed on the title story, but it was nice to be able to read Second Variety and Minority Report, finally.

Great ideas, but I like his later writing better.
Erik Graff
Aug 10, 2010 Erik Graff rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Dick fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I probably picked this up at Knack's Drugstore in Bridgman, Michigan at a time when I knew nothing of Philip K. Dick. The "Second Variety" story about World War III scared the hell out of me as I sat reading it at the trestle table on the porch we used for eating when there were guests.
Edward
Philip K. Dick is the absolute best SciFi/fanatasy writer of all time! I particularly liked Jon's World, Progeny and of course Variable Man.
Nathan
Read "The Variable Man" and "Second Variety" on gutenberg.org.
David
Great writing. Great stories. Well worth a read.
Jordan
Jordan marked it as to-read
May 21, 2015
Kat Art
Kat Art marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
Nicholas
Nicholas marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Matthew Croisant
Matthew Croisant marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Michaela
Michaela marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Mahreen Khan
Mahreen Khan marked it as to-read
Apr 18, 2015
Alastair Kemp
Alastair Kemp marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Behzad
Behzad added it
Mar 31, 2015
Aresu
Aresu marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Joe Wygocki
Joe Wygocki marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Don DeMarco
Don DeMarco marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2015
  • Press Enter
  • With Morning Comes Mistfall
  • Christmas in the Trenches
  • Sailing to Byzantium
  • Even the Queen: & Other Short Stories
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
  • The Elephant Vanishes: Free Short Story
  • The Traveler
  • The Dreaming Jewels
  • The U.S. Constitution: And Fascinating Facts About It
  • The Snows of Kilimanjaro/The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber
  • Paris Is A Bitch (John Rain, #6.5)
  • Warm Worlds and Otherwise
  • The Children's Story
  • Bears Discover Fire and Other Stories
  • The Constitution of the United States with the Declaration of Independence and the Articles of Confederation
  • Fairy Tales of Oscar Wilde: The Devoted Friend/The Nightingale and the Rose
  • The Goonies
Philip K. Dick was born in Chicago in 1928 and lived most of his life in California. In 1952, he began writing professionally and proceeded to write numerous novels and short-story collections. He won the Hugo Award for the best novel in 1962 for The Man in the High Castle and the John W. Campbell Memorial Award for best novel of the year in 1974 for Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said. Philip K. Di ...more
More about Philip K. Dick...
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? A Scanner Darkly The Man in the High Castle Ubik Flow My Tears, the Policeman Said