Start by marking “Don't Let Your Emotions Run Your Life for Teens: Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills for Helping Teens Manage Mood Swings, Control Angry Outbursts, an” as Want to Read:

Let's face it: life gives you plenty of reasons to get angry, sad, scared, and frustrated-and those feelings are okay. But sometimes it can feel like your emotions are taking over, spinning out of control with a mind of their own. To make matters worse, these overwhelming emotions might be interfering with school, causing trouble in your relationships, and preventing you f ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Instant Help (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Let Your Emotions Run Your Life for Teens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Let Your Emotions Run Your Life for Teens

Tanya
Jul 05, 2016 Tanya rated it it was amazing
Very clear and concise exercises to apply DBT. I have found these exercises helpful when working with clients. DBT can get so wordy and philosophically confusing, but this workbook helps explain it in a simple way.
Jane
Mar 04, 2017 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Practical tips to help perfectionists

This books lists practical ways for teens to cope with perfectionism, depression, and guides to effectively cope with negative thoughts and effective communication.
Michelle Johnson
Mar 12, 2014 Michelle Johnson rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: any parenting struggling with a child filled with strong emotions
I read this with Kati during our school time each day.

There were a LOT of helpful tips in here. But like they say in AA, "It works if you work it".

That's gonna be the crutch of this workbook. The child in mind is going ot have to work hard at it.

There are some tips that are useful to parents to provide the help, whether the child cares to "work it" or not. For example, they make a list of things that help calm them down when they get angry. So whenever my teen starts getting angry, I tell her
Tara D'Orazio
I marked about 1/3 of the activities for using in my therapy practice. Simple explanations and decent activities. Might feel too simple if you're well emotionally developed, but for teens who are just starting to learn conscious emotional regulation, it's a good fit. I especially enjoyed all of Chapter 4 on nonjudgmental communication and self validation.
Glen Grunau
Jul 30, 2015 Glen Grunau rated it really liked it
This valuable workbook taps into the essence of dialectical behavior therapy skills and strategies in a simple, relevant, and highly practical format.

I've been on the lookout for a self-help book for teens that offers these valuable skills and I think I may have found it.
Amanda
Jan 24, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
Another good book in the series. Easy to follow, well written, easy to understand and practical to use. I will be using this with my clients in the future!
Vivian Stein
Vivian Stein rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2015
Alissa Smith
Alissa Smith rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Lindy
Lindy rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Amy Bartleson balcam
Amy Bartleson balcam rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2015
stephanie waite
stephanie waite rated it it was amazing
Dec 03, 2015
Bethany
Bethany rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2016
Cindy
Cindy rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2017
Danielle Meehan
Danielle Meehan rated it it was amazing
May 12, 2014
Stacy
Stacy rated it liked it
Nov 01, 2014
Sheri Dijk
Mar 11, 2014 Sheri Dijk rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Carla
Carla rated it really liked it
Sep 17, 2012
Lisa Clark
Lisa Clark rated it it was amazing
Apr 21, 2017
Patti Christel
Patti Christel rated it liked it
Mar 31, 2015
JANET DUST
JANET DUST rated it liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Valerie
Valerie rated it really liked it
Feb 09, 2012
Victoria
Victoria rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2014
Gary
Gary rated it really liked it
Feb 01, 2017
Lrfrank55
Lrfrank55 rated it it was amazing
Aug 14, 2016
Athena T. Gould
Athena T. Gould rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2014
Cynthia Daniels-Hall
Cynthia Daniels-Hall rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2014
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
May 10, 2014
Ladym72
Ladym72 rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2015
Jackie
Jackie rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Self-Esteem Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Build Confidence and Achieve Your Goals
  • The Bullying Workbook for Teens: Activities to Help You Deal with Social Aggression and Cyberbullying
  • The Gift of ADHD: How to Transform Your Child's Problems Into Strengths
  • The Complete Adult Psychotherapy Treatment Planner
  • Grief Counseling and Grief Therapy: A Handbook for the Mental Health Professional
  • Healing Sex: A Mind-Body Approach to Healing Sexual Trauma
  • Treating Explosive Kids: The Collaborative Problem-Solving Approach
  • Quick Reference to the Diagnostic Criteria from DSM-IV-TR
  • A Terrible Thing Happened
  • Be the Person You Want to Find: Relationship and Self-Discovery
  • Traumatic Stress: The Effects of Overwhelming Experience on Mind, Body, and Society
  • What It Takes to Pull Me Through: Why Teenagers Get in Trouble and How Four of Them Got Out
  • Will's Choice: A Suicidal Teen, a Desperate Mother, and a Chronicle of Recovery
  • MY LISTOGRAPHY: MY AMAZING LIFE IN LISTS BY (Author)Russell, Nathaniel[Paperback]Sep-2008
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • Beginning to Heal
  • Brain-Based Parenting: The Neuroscience of Caregiving for Healthy Attachment
  • A Young People's History of the United States, Volume 2: Class Struggle to the War On Terror
I am a psychotherapist working at Southlake Regional Health Centre and in private practice. I have a Master's degree in social work, and specialize in treating psychiatric disorders using dialectical behavior therapy and mindfulness practice.

I have written several books that help readers use DBT skills to treat emotional problems, including The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Bip
More about Sheri Van Dijk...

“If you’re living in the present...you only have to deal with what’s actually going on in that moment.” 3 likes