Start by marking “Pipsqueak” as Want to Read:
Pipsqueak

Pipsqueak (Garth Carson #1)

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  187 ratings  ·  25 reviews
New York City taxidermy collector Garth Carson was seconds away from snagging the greatest find of his career - the original Pipsqueak the Nutty Nut, stuffed-squirrel puppet star of his favorite 1950s kiddie TV show. Then a biker, a brawny redhead, and a murder derailed his dreams. Now Garth would do anything to get Pipsqueak back. Unfortunately, so would someone else.Avai ...more
Paperback, Large Print, 352 pages
Published September 1st 2005 by Wheeler Publishing (first published May 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Pipsqueak, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pipsqueak

Amanda
When I bought this book, I had dreams of Christopher Moore and Carl Hiaasen dancing through my head. The cover proclaims that Pipsqueak is "Demented and fun!" and "The flat-out coolest mystery I've read in years, not to mention the funniest." My verdict: not funny. Not at all. Other than the occasionally peculiar turn of phrase, this is a rather pedestrian mystery that, frankly, I just didn't give a shit about. The book reminds me of the run-of-the-mill comedies that everyone will rave about an ...more
Stephen
It's one of those 'funny' mysteries. Obsessive, quirky, full of cool adjectives and heretofor uncombined adverbs/verbs combos...but it completely falls apart in the second half.

Silliness is one thing, but physical impossibilities are another. ** POTENTIAL SPOILERS** Metalicized hydrogen can't exist on planet earth -- and if it could it would probably not have hypnotic powers that can be transmitted via TV. 'Kay? It starts out funny but just desintegrates in front of your eyes.

It would really t
Corinne
Conspiracy theorists of the world unite! What started out as a basic mystery about a taxidermist and a squirrel, became a multinational conspiracy involving television, flashing colors, sounds, a cancelled children's television show, and the Church of Jive.

Garth seeks taxidermy specimens from local thrift stores, and stumbles across Pipaqueak the Nutty Nut, a squirrel puppet (made from an actual squirrel) from the cancelled General Buster show of his young childhood. As he's negotiating the acqu
Nate
How do a rate this book? In the context of what I normally love, its hard to give it the same number of stars as a something more quote un quote literally. But for an airplane read, I can't think of much better. Fun, strange, surreal, and surprisingly gentle, Pipsqueak is one I'd recommend. Centering around a bizarre conspiracy theory which involves television, rockabilly, and mind control; our main character, a taxidermist who happens upon a childhood puppet, solves a strange mystery with his l ...more
Mark Baker
When Garth Carson finds a squirrel puppet from a favorite childhood show, he thinks he's found a nostalgic goldmine. Instead, he soon finds a body and a conspiracy that seems too hard to believe. In fact, that was one problem I had with the book, I just couldn't believe it. The characters were also too thin. And the "comic" part of the comic caper? Not really that funny. I did find the climax over the top yet fun, however.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Spleenless Jen
Light, enjoyable. Best book about a taxidermist I've read to date.
Chi Dubinski
Taxidermy collector Garth Carson had a chance to snag a puppet from a television show from his youth—a tattered looking squirrel named Pipsqueak the Nutty Nut. But it was stolen from him, and Garth and his girlfriend Angie set off to recover the purloined rodent. A cast of misfits—both the thieves and the sleuths—battle each other for custody of the furry cult icon.
Jenny Lee  Coleman
Feb 20, 2008 Jenny Lee Coleman rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: A rockabilly going to the beach
Rather silly though a quick,fun read with retro-rockabilly-swing folk as the evil doers. I bought it on a Sunday afternoon when I had run out of things to read and didn't want to drive to the store, so I walked to my local Safeway. It was the only book without an airbrushed Fabio on it. Ok...and it has a squirrel driving a convertable on the front. Right up my ally.
Karen
The plotline seemed a little silly, but as far as quirky mysteries go, this one's a winner. There's lots of fun taxidermy and jewelry fabrication details also. Some might be offended by the broadly drawn Russian character.

I'm amused enough to go hunt down the others in the series, anyhow.
Vivian Newkirk
I love the zany characters Brian has in his books. I'm currently rereading this mystery novel that keeps me laughing so hard I can't finish as quickly as other mysteries.If you want same laughs, crazy characters (some like real life ones) read this and all the other Wiprud novels.
April1213
A whacky mystery involving a missing TV-idol squirrel puppet, named Pipsqueak the Nutty Nut, a taxidermy collector, named Garth Carson, and a murderous gang of Retro-Rockabilly-types that want to take over the world.
Mike
This is a great mystery. It's about a guy who is a taxidermist and who accidently witnesses a murder/theft of a TV show squirrel puppet. It's goofy and fun and overall just plain enjoyable.
Karen
I enjoyed this book with it's oddball characters. The premise was a little farfetched, but it was well written and the characters were fun enough that I enjoyed the ride.
gabrielle
This is one of those stories that's too far-fetched to be believable, yet not so far-fetched that I'm willing to suspend disbelief. It's cute, though.
Mandy
Well-paced, clever, and funny. I liked the characters, even the bad ones. The humor is great, and is refreshing as far as murder-mysteries go.
Jeanne
This light-hearted tale about a taxidermy collector who unwittingly gets involved in a race to recover a stuffed squirrel puppet was just meh for me.
Bonnie Jeanne
It has such promise and delightful word choice, but I lost interest about mid-way. I don't think I'm cut out for mysteries.
Naomi
Nov 18, 2007 Naomi marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who drools on comic
Shelves: bestrecommended
I found it at Powell's Books. And I fall in love at the first sight of its yellow jacket...Want to hunt the book down!
Nenia Campbell
So a taxidermist walks into a second-hand shop... No, it's not a joke, that's how this story really begins. Garth Carson walks into a store to purchase a large stuffed penguin when he notices that Pipsqueak the Nutty Nut - a stuffed squirrel puppet from his favorite childhood TV show - is in a glass case behind the register. But before he can get his grubby mitts on this putrescent prize, somebody else breaks into the store and beats him to it.

The cover and the blurbs made me envision a glorious
Ali
I really liked this book. Original plot, interesting characters. Very funny :D
Trey
Fun Book. Look forward to know more and read more in this series.
Seras Graves
It was fun and cute, and absolutely different.
Cindi (cheesygiraffe)
Wacky hijinks! Funny but not much a mystery.
Joan
It is, as they say, delightfully wacky.
Sean Cameron
Sean Cameron marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
  • Too Late to Die (Sheriff Dan Rhodes #1)
  • Kesey's Garage Sale
  • Cabin Fever (Seamus McCree, #2)
  • Prizzi's Honor
  • The Cold Light of Mourning (A Penny Brannigan Mystery #1)
  • We'll Always Have Parrots (Meg Langslow, #5)
  • A Cat in the Manger (Alice Nestleton Mystery #1)
  • All My Enemies (Brock & Kolla, #3)
  • Till the Cows Come Home (Stella Crown Mystery, #1)
  • Kangoeroecorrespondentie
  • Getting Old Is Murder (Gladdy Gold, #1)
  • Scavenger Reef
  • The Late Mr. Shakespeare
  • New Boy
  • Un asunto de honor (Cachito)
  • The Fourth Treasure
  • The Apprentice
  • The Picasso Scam (Charlie Priest, #1)
I went to the Washington D.C. prep school St. Albans, where aside from attaining an expensive education both in academics and the social order, I worked on hot rods and drank Stroh’s.

I had an afternoon job as a Volkswagen mechanic and projectionist at the Wheaton Plaza Triplex. I would credit my time as a projectionist as being the seed from which the urge to write grew because I often came to dis
More about Brian M. Wiprud...
Stuffed Feelers Buy Back Sleep with the Fishes Tailed

“there’s a noticeable deterioration from ten years back that probably (gads, let’s hope not) won’t be as profound in the next ten years. Gone are the days when I could eat jalapeños, for example.” 0 likes