Start by marking “Prisoner of Time” as Want to Read:
Prisoner of Time

Prisoner of Time (Time Travelers #3)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  1,946 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Tod Lockwood avoids girls until he enters life in the 19th century. Then he just might become a knight in shining armor. A 16-year-old girl betrothed to a contemptuous but well-connected lord is in desperate need of a rescue. A companion novel to "Both Sides of Time" and "Out of Time."
200 pages
Published August 11th 2008 (first published April 6th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Prisoner of Time, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prisoner of Time

Yes, a third book in the series! Sadly, this book was about Annie's brother, Todd, and Strat's sister, Devonny. I don't remember much about it because I was so disappointed that it wasn't about Annie ans Strat.
Eden Tyler
Not a good as the first two.
It lacked depth, and seemed an unnecessary part of the series. I hope the 4th and final book is more like the others - making it a trilogy in my mind.
Amy Schmalbach
This book is more a companion to Cooney's Time Travelers series than a proper sequel. Our protagonists in this novel are Annie's brother Tod and Strat's sister Devonny. I think that in comparison to the first two books in this series, I like this book better as an adult than I did as a kid. I was obsessed with Annie and Strat's romance as a kid, but as an adult I find myself more appreciative of the relationship between Tod and Devonny. They were certainly a relief from all the over-the-top Stra ...more
This was okay compared to the first two books in the Time Travel series by Cooney. I like it, but it doesn't have the same level of suspense. I don't understand what she was doing with Tod and Devonny, and I wish that she had kept them in their own Times and made someone else travel, like Flossie and Gianni. It really didn't make sense the way she did it. I like the concept and the characters, and it was nice to see a resolution in the story lines of a few major characters from the first two boo ...more
Jamie Zalot
I remembered reading this author as a teenager, so when I chanced upon it and another one at a yard sale, I said what the hey. The book was the third in a series but not hard to pick up as most of the background was explained in brief early in the story. The story itself was well written and not bad for a YA book. There were moments I felt true passion but not for the characters. A portion of the story took place in the past before women's rights. This book had the girl from the last book come f ...more
I'm torn between givng this book 3 or 4 stars so I'm rating it as a 3.5. It was hard to follow at first since this is the first book I read of this series, so I was like who the heck is florrie and Devoney (what kind of name for a girl is that in 1898?) So at first I was like big mistake why did I ever buy this book (It was a quarter, hardcovered, and looked interesting so I bought it.) The characters were the main problem with as you never really got to know anyone that well before things start ...more
See what happens? You start reading books from your childhood, then realize there are more in the series. Digging in with gusto, though I'm immediately disappointed by how even the most independent women (Devonny, par example), are reduced to simpering messes that get on their knees to beg strange men to save them. Also said strange man (in this case, Tod Lockwood, Annie's idiot brother) is so uninteresting as to be thoroughly irritating [to me].

I appreciate that Devonny learns (in the end) that
Much better than Out of Time, although I still feel these books are getting sillier and sillier. I was also disappointed that Devonny-in-the-future took up so little of the narrative, but that’s more of a personal thing. What I did like: that Cooney doesn’t make the Devonny/Tod infatuation out to be more than it was, and the little redemption arc of Devonny’s cold, callous English fiancé. I am a sucker for that crap.

Actually, apply that last sentence to my relationship with these books IN GENER
The third bookn in the series of three books. This book follows the tale of a girl who is 16. She is living in the past. Her father is forcing her into her to marry a very abnoxious, self absorbed man. She pleads for someone to save her. Mean while, in the present, a boy who is also 15 is etting water for his water bottle business. He decides to drink the water. And then suddenly he is very dizzy. Then, he finds himself there, in the time of the girl. Can he save her from this trechous life of h ...more
This series is just getting worse, in every way possible.
I really enjoyed this book, so it's surprising to see so many negative reviews on here. Then again, I actually read it as a young adult (and not an adult adult reading YA.) That can accound for some of it. And I remember thinking, if my hero Annie Lockwood can't be the star of the third book, at least let the slightly less-amazing-but-still-cool Devonny Stratton reign supreme. So...yes, I was definitely a fan of this book.
I don't remember all of it, but a fond memory is reading about her first
I love time travel books. Caroline Cooney's time travel series is engaging. In the third installment, Strat's sister Devonny is pulled into the future by Tod Lockwood just as she is preparing to walk down the aisle to marry a titled Englishman chosen for her by her unsympathetic father. I especially enjoyed reading the Victorian girl's impressions of the twentieth century. She is horrified by eating dinner at McDonald's. I look forward to reading the fourth and final book in the series.
Well this was a twist. Instead of the book being about Anna it was about her brother. He isn't mentioned much in the other books, just enough for you to get a feel for his character. This 3rd book however, he is the main character.

Tod slips through time and finally realizes that all those "stories" his sister has been talking about are true. He meets Strat's sister and they hit it off amazingly well.

The ending I found quite sad because what I wanted to happen didn't.
Devonny's brother Strat is missing or dead, making her the sole heir to a fortune. Her father is blackmailed into a quick marriage for Devonny, to a useless Englishman with a title. The whole match is about money, and nothing but money. Devonny's only chance is f a knight comes to her rescue. Instead, she gets Tod Lockwood and a chance to visit the 20th century. Now Devonny must decide whether to go back and face her family or stay with Tod in future.
Is it just me, or did anyone else find this book totally pointless. I actually read the fourth book before this one, because the school library didn't carry it. I was totally afraid that I missed something. When I finally read it, it was like, where in the world did this come from? Totally seemed pointless. I mean, was a pretty good book, but Strat and Annie weren't in it at all! And come on, Strat and Annie are AWESOME.
This book was pretty good. I liked it because it showed what life was like for some girls in the Victorian era. The book had really good imagery, and kept an even pace of suspense for what would happen on the next page. The ending was a little plain and stereotypical with the princes Happily Ever After closing. I have read other books by this auther and liked them a lot, but this book happened to fall short of my expectations.
Probably my favorite book in the series because 1. it centers on Devonny 2. WeDdInGs!!! 3. finally brings a Victorian to the present time zone 4. no Strat/Annie drama. There was no development on Strat and Annie, you could potentially skip this if you just wanted to follow their doomed love story. I enjoyed how people view our society today, and how much has changed (not all of it positively).
HATED HATED HATED this book (not as much as Romeo and Juliet, mind you) but it was nearly as stupid...this book is basically "oh hey, strat and Annie are together and their siblings are lonely, let's throw them together, and when that doesn't work, we'll give the sister to another dude and other random crap that NO ONE cares about"...and that was sugar-coating it
This book was a really good book because I had no idea what was going to happen next.It made me not want to stop reading because i wanted to know what happened next. This book had three romances that were forbidden and forced.It was full of romance and violence. it was a great book with all of the twist in turns and time travel.
I was obsessed with the name Devonny after this book. I remember naming all of my sim characters Devonny.

I was a little disappointed it focused on the siblings and not the main couple, but I did like it.

I read this back in grade school. I loved the time travel element.
Oh, wow. This one follows Devonny and Tod rather than Annie and Strat, but it is just wonderful. I love the two times and the ideas on how women are treated. And I love how the characters turn out. <3
Jun 29, 2007 Mariah rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who like romantic books.
Shelves: mariahsbooks
The book was okay and it had a lot of discription but I just sort of didn't like it. It was kind of cheesy at some parts but overall the book was okay. It was pretty cool how a guy from the present met a young woman in the past... quite interesting.

Better than the first two, oddly enough. At least Devonny is more likable than Strat and Annie. Also Todd actually spends time with her before he "falls in love." Still kinda lame to fall in love and end up with someone least he turned out nicer.
Again, this book was just as good as the two preceding it. Devonney's a kick, and it's great that the author doesn't make her TOO spunky and modern. I wasn't sure how the book would end until the end, which is always pretty cool.
Mar 11, 2008 Melody rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melody by: Someone on a Twilight page
Great story cant put it down, wish the library had the other two in this series that actually came before this one, I'd read those first because there are references to them in the story and they are kinda spoilers.
Such a good book eloquently written. Better for someone in middle school though.
Lexi Vick
For this third book in the series, two ancillary characters in the previous books were main characters. I disliked Annie's brother completely, but Strat's sister made this worth reading.
Another good entry in this teen time travel series by Caroline Cooney. I really liked the not so predictable ending and am looking forward to having everything all wrapped up in book 4.
  • Timeless Love
  • Emily and the Scot (The MacLaughlins, #2)
  • Mine Eyes Have Seen
  • Titanic: The Long Night
  • Samantha and the Cowboy
  • The Deep End of Fear (Dark Secrets, #4)
  • Wilderness Days (Boston Jane, #2)
  • Angel of Mercy (Angel of Mercy, #1)
  • The Court of Stone Children
  • Tempest in Time
  • A Place to Belong (Orphan Train Adventures, #6)
  • My Timeswept Heart (Blackwells, #1)
  • Of Two Minds (Minds, #1)
  • Song of the Sea (American Dreams, Part 2)
  • The Wakefield Legacy: The Untold Story (Sweet Valley High Magna Editions #2)
  • Sixpence Bride
Caroline Cooney knew in sixth grade that she wanted to be a writer when "the best teacher I ever had in my life" made writing her main focus. "He used to rip off covers from The New Yorker and pass them around and make us write a short story on whichever cover we got. I started writing then and never stopped!"
When her children were young, Caroline started writing books for young people -- with rem
More about Caroline B. Cooney...

Time Travelers (4 books)
  • Both Sides of Time (Time Travelers, #1)
  • Out of Time (Time Travelers, #2)
  • For All Time (Time Travelers, #4)