Start by marking “The Carpenter and the Fairy” as Want to Read:
The Carpenter and the Fairy

The Carpenter and the Fairy

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  325 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Former military man Mason Larue is into one-night stands and big, burly guys, so he is not happy to find himself attracted to a sweet, slim young man wearing eyeliner and dressed in a fairy costume. After a night spent with Avery, however, he begins to change his mind about what he wants. Can Mason get past fear and stereotypes in time to get what he never knew he wanted?
Published (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Carpenter and the Fairy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Carpenter and the Fairy

Nancy
Mason Larue, former Marine, now working as a carpenter, is really not into masquerade dances, but his friend Stan drags him along and wants him to have fun. Mason prefers large and muscular men, much like him, and is most comfortable with one-night stands.

Mason’s life changes when he sets eyes on an enchanting young man dressed in a fairy costume who is so not his type.

I really enjoyed this steamy and sexy story about two very different men who discover they are not so different after all. Des
Lily
This short story is very sweet and also very sexy.

Mason Larue is a former Marine now working as a carpenter. The week before Halloween he accompanies a friend to a club and there he meets Avery Adams. Mason is usually attracted to big muscular men like himself and although Avery is the total opposite of that he can't help but be drawn to the stunning younger man dressed as a fairy.

After some dancing and a few hot minutes in an alcove they head out to Avery's place but morning after jitters lead
Ami
My, my, this one starts off hot and sexy. I can imagine the scene of two unlikely pairing, the carpenter and the fairy, as they go from the club to the house and go at it. Then, the last half is more tender and romantic (the scene where Mason brings Avery flower as token of apology is so, so sweet). It closes with a promise of HEA *sigh*
Shell
I loved this! It's perfectly short and sweet!

Mason is a big man, a carpenter, who doesn't flaunt his sexuality much and generally enjoys men similar to him. So, when a costume party finds him being drawn to a small, slim man, dressed in a fairy costume he's surprised and a little frightened. That fear leads to him making a mistake later in the novella, but he more than redeems himself by the end.

I adored Avery's character (the man in the fairy costume) in this story. He's sweet, fun, and undenia
Td
What a fun read! A lot packed into this short story. Just what I needed to bring a smile to my face. :)
Veronica /  V
I didn't want to read this book because I find the cover really creepy.
It reminds me the horror movie The Grudge.
This story was lovely. Avery was so adorable, and I love Mason. It would be great if the Author write a sequel.(and change the cover)
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
Omg I fucking love this cute story! Wish it were longer!
Ann
Cassandra Gold sweetness in an adorably well hung package. This would have been an awesome novella at the least, I really wanted more of these two.
Mara Ismine
A great short story that I would have missed if I hadn't read the reviews! The title caught my attention, the blurb sounded okay, but the cover seemed to suggest something completely different. Ex-marine and carpenter Mason has short hair and brown eyes. Baker and fairy Avery has green eyes and curly hair, but he is suposed to be pretty and androgynous. The red eyed vampire-type on the cover really doesn't fit too well. The Goodreads reviews convinced me to give the story a chance. Thanks folks!
Heller
A cute story about opposites attracting. A fun little fluff read.
Serena Yates
This is a super cute story about a man, a tough ex-Marine in this case, overcoming the obstacles his own perceptions and prejudice have put in his way to finding true love.

Mason has a definite fixation on "his type of man": powerful, as tall and strong as himself, and not "too gay". I suspect it comes from his time as a Marine, when that was probably the type of man he was around all the time, the type he was taught to think of as "manly". Whatever the reason, he cannot even imagine hitting it
Honey
Dragged to a Halloween party by his best friend, Mason doesn’t expect the instant attraction he feels to a man who is nothing like his usual type yet has eyes he drowns in and is sweeter than candy floss. Avery is a fairy in every sense of the word except the paranormal, described as “too gay” by even a past partner, he’s learned to accept himself even if others don’t.

This book was a little gem. I loved how even though Mason and Avery fell into each others beds so quickly they didn’t fall into
Jax
There is no story here. None. At. All. It's basically just sex. We are given no reasons why these two supposedly care about each other. Even at only 8,000 words I expect better. And thanks to there being no indication by the new publisher - or any other outlet selling this - that this is a rerelease, I paid for this clunker twice!
Anna-Lisa
I'm honest: this cover scared me off a bit. *lol*

But this was a really cute, short lovestory which started pretty hot and then got very, very cute! I'm almost sad that it hasn't been a bit longer!
I just liked the whole feeling of this cute story!
MsMiz (Tina)
Thank heavens I read this short super cute story before I saw the cover of apparently some other slasher book. That cover could not be more wrong for this story.

Really cute story about a manly man and a baker;) Wish it was longer!!
Adriana
This cover doesn't fit the book at all, this is a sweet story and the cover seem really dark.
I would love a sequel, Avery and Mason are cute together and I will love to know more about them.
Hellen
Very sweet indeed and, more importantly, believable. I don't know why the cover is so creepy, though. It has little to do with the story...
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Short, sweet story ! Mason meets Avery, who is absolutely not his type, only to discover he is exactly what he needs.
Nichole (Dirrty H)
Really enjoyed this short, and really wish it had been a full length! I want to keep reading it!
Carole
I loved this sweet hot story about Mason, macho ex-Marine, who goes under protest to a Halloween party, only to be attracted - to his surprise and horror - to Avery, delicate and dressed as, of all things, a fairy. He's so not Mason's type, so why can he not keep his hands off? Cassandra Gold spins this hot tale with a subtext of tongue-in-cheek humor that made it hard for me to pick just one quote for this review:

'Mason knew it was lazy to wear work boots, worn jeans, a t-shirt, and a carpenter
Elisa Rolle
This is only a short story but it was so sweet that it seemed almost like a full novel, all the events were packed of sweet feelings and perfectly planned.

Mason is a former Marine and now carpenter. It was not easy for him to come out, and I have the feeling that he didn't do that until he left the Corps, and now he only chooses partners that are the epitome of "man", tall, muscular and rough. I think it's a double deal: having always the same type of partner let him believe that he is not reall
Imogen
The writing was amateurish, and the plot was uninspired. The characters would have been interesting, but their dialogue was kinda cheesy and they don't behave/interact in realistic ways. Another thing that annoyed me is that the author does that thing where she'll have one character say something that is supposed to be witty or funny, and then have the other character silently acknowledges in his head how witty the first character is... ugh, I don't like it. Especially because it wasn't even tha ...more
Sexyeasha123
It is very different from the cover. It a light fluffy short read that was enjoyable to read
Jess Buffett
A beautiful story about two men who fill the role of opposites attract rather nicely.

Even though Masons reaction to their first night together is harsh, the author makes it believable and forgivable. Mason spent many years living 'don't ask, don't tell' and is still coming to terms with the fact that it's okay to be gay.

Avery on the other hand is very out and proud. He is the kind of guy who 'loves purple and eyeliner' and Mason finally understands that none of that matters.

Overall, this was sho
-RMG
3 stars (since Goodread's keeps showing 1 star) - I originally read this story when it was first published by Phaze, and I'd rated it a 1 star, for reasons beyond my memory (or as it turns out, my comprehension). Decided to pick up the most recent version, and I must say that I really enjoyed it. I liked how Mason got his act together, admitted his mistake, and went after Avery, asking him for a second chance. And Avery was a cutie, so brave in giving Mason another shot. A really sweet short sto ...more
Jess
This was PERFECT for my mood.

It was super sweet but still sexy and better still it was a well written short story. I am often left wanting to know more or wishing that the author fleshed the characters out more but this rode that fine line and ended up telling me enough to keep the story flowing freely.

SOOOOO perfect for my mood. A wonderful little gem of a story.
Staceyr
A fun, sweet read. This is the third short story I've read by Ms. Gold this week--solid characters, interesting light plot and a hard dose of warm-fuzzies. SPECIAL DELIVERY isn't listed on GoodReads, but is also a great read.
Ayanna
It was sweet. Brief, but sweet. The cover's really random.

Actually, you know what, I think the cover is just the publisher's default cover or something...

Or maybe it was part of a collection.
Meggie
This cover is creepy, I don't really like it. At first glance it looked like a horror or ghost story, but it was a simple sweet romance. Even if it was to short for a better rating.
Grandmat
Very short story with sketchy plot and no plot tension. A disappointment from this otherwise fine author.
  • Only For Him (Only Forever, #2)
  • Got Mistletoe?
  • Left of Centre
  • Letting In the Light
  • Talk Dirty To Me
  • Second Sight
  • Convincing Arthur (London Legal, #1)
  • Another Dream (Dream, #2)
1999248
By day, I am a middle school teacher. I spend much of my time grading papers, filling out paperwork, and trying to get 6th- and 7th- graders to read.

When I am not at work, I can generally be found at the computer, dreaming up stories about men falling in love. When I have spare time (which is unfortunately not too often anymore!) I read romance of all kinds. Occasionally I pretend to do housework,
More about Cassandra Gold...
Quinn's Hart Saving Ciaran (Outcasts, #1) Healer (The Institute, #1) Clay's Challenge Fool For Love