A Spiritual Formation Workbook  - Revised edition: Small Group Resources for Nurturing Christian Growth

A Spiritual Formation Workbook - Revised edition: Small Group Resources for Nurturing Christian Growth

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  78 ratings  ·  5 reviews
This beginning workbook for Spiritual Formation Groups features guidelines for starting a group, study plans for the first nine sessions, and a questionnaire that helps map the way ahead. Based upon six major dimensions of the spiritual life found in the life of Christ and Christian tradition: The Contemplative Tradition - The Holiness Tradition - The Charismatic Tradition...more
Paperback
Published November 6th 2007 by HarperOne (first published March 1993)

Ron
I had high hopes for this small group guide. But I've found it uninspiring. We've been doing it as a study for the last 8 weeks and I don't feel I've done much of anything with it.

I really like Foster's work, but this is just derivative and didactic. Just read Streams of Living Water instead.

The structure of the meetings is very easy from a leaders point of view, but not very interactive at all, which I think a small group should be.
Rachel
I read this book for class. It's kinda vanilla. I might use it in a group someday, but more as a starting point than as the entirety of what we do together. It's good for people who want to try several different spiritual practices to see what works.
Stephen
READ SEP 2012

Excellent companion piece to James Bryan Smith's "Good and Beautiful" series. This can be a pre- or post-study resource.
Deidre Franklin
Do this with a small group!
Todd Richmond
Highly recommend this.
Dwight
Dwight marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Christian C.
Christian C. is currently reading it
Jul 24, 2014
Vanessa Tan
Vanessa Tan is currently reading it
Jun 29, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Scott
Scott added it
Apr 18, 2014
Henry Alvarado
Henry Alvarado marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2014
Milton Quintanilla
Milton Quintanilla marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2014
Dave
Dave marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2014
Michael Richards
Michael Richards marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Luis Branco
Luis Branco marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
James Bryan Smith (M.Div., Yale University Divinity School, D.Min., Fuller Seminary) is a theology professor at Friends University in Wichita, KS and a writer and speaker in the area of Christian spiritual formation. He also serves as the director of the Aprentis Institute for Christian Spiritual Formation at Friends University.

A founding member of Richard J. Foster's spiritual renewal ministry, R...more
More about James Bryan Smith...
The Good and Beautiful God: Falling in Love with the God Jesus Knows Rich Mullins: A Devotional Biography: An Arrow Pointing to Heaven The Good and Beautiful Life: Putting on the Character of Christ Room of Marvels The Good and Beautiful Community: Following the Spirit, Extending Grace, Demonstrating Love