Start by marking “A Spiritual Formation Workbook - Revised edition: Small Group Resources for Nurturing Christian Growth” as Want to Read:
A Spiritual Formation Workbook  - Revised edition: Small Group Resources for Nurturing Christian Growth

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  115 ratings  ·  8 reviews
This beginning workbook for Spiritual Formation Groups features guidelines for starting a group, study plans for the first nine sessions, and a questionnaire that helps map the way ahead. Based upon six major dimensions of the spiritual life found in the life of Christ and Christian tradition: The Contemplative Tradition - The Holiness Tradition - The Charismatic Tradition ...more
Published November 6th 2007 by HarperOne (first published March 1993)

To ask other readers questions about A Spiritual Formation Workbook - Revised edition, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Spiritual Formation Workbook - Revised edition

Robin Gough
Great Resource

I enjoyed the small group aspect of this book. Looking forward to using it as a guide in a spiritual formation small group this fall with college students.
Sharon Hedegard
Excellent study guide for small groups where people are at different places in their faith. Allows safe discussion without judgment or using 'over-theologized' language.
I had high hopes for this small group guide. But I've found it uninspiring. We've been doing it as a study for the last 8 weeks and I don't feel I've done much of anything with it.

I really like Foster's work, but this is just derivative and didactic. Just read Streams of Living Water instead.

The structure of the meetings is very easy from a leaders point of view, but not very interactive at all, which I think a small group should be.
I read this book for class. It's kinda vanilla. I might use it in a group someday, but more as a starting point than as the entirety of what we do together. It's good for people who want to try several different spiritual practices to see what works.
Excellent resource for a small group of women. We have decided to keep meeting, twice a month for the next three months, following the meeting format in the book. Then we will re-evaluate.

Excellent companion piece to James Bryan Smith's "Good and Beautiful" series. This can be a pre- or post-study resource.
Deidre Franklin
Do this with a small group!
Todd Richmond
Highly recommend this.
Bob Brown
Bob Brown is currently reading it
Oct 08, 2015
Mike Kennedy
Mike Kennedy marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2015
Nancy Bates
Nancy Bates marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2015
O. Poole
O. Poole marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2015
Troy Dean
Troy Dean marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2015
warren holohan
warren holohan is currently reading it
Jul 05, 2015
WCKELLOGG marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Rhett Travis
Rhett Travis marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Randy added it
May 12, 2015
  • The Renovare Spiritual Formation Bible
  • The Jesus Way: A Conversation on the Ways That Jesus Is the Way (Spiritual Theology #3)
  • Devotional Classics: Selected Readings for Individuals and Groups
  • Spiritual Disciplines Handbook: Practices That Transform Us
  • Kingdom Triangle: Recover the Christian Mind, Renovate the Soul, Restore the Spirit's Power
  • Home Tonight: Further Reflections on the Parable of the Prodigal Son
  • The Unnecessary Pastor: Rediscovering the Call
  • Revolution of Character: Discovering Christ's Pattern for Spiritual Transformation
  • Intimate Moments with the Savior: Learning to Love (Moments with the Savior) (Moments with the Savior Series)
  • The Jesus Style
  • The Gospel According to Job: An Honest Look at Pain and Doubt from the Life of One Who Lost Everything
  • Shaped by the Word: The Power of Scripture in Spiritual Formation
  • The Eyes of the Heart: A Memoir of the Lost and Found
  • Prayers for a Privileged People
  • Simple Faith
  • Love Has a Price Tag: Inspiring Stories That Will Open Your Heart to Life's Little Miracles
  • The Active Life: A Spirituality of Work, Creativity, and Caring
  • The Fabric of Faithfulness: Weaving Together Belief and Behavior
James Bryan Smith (M.Div., Yale University Divinity School, D.Min., Fuller Seminary) is a theology professor at Friends University in Wichita, KS and a writer and speaker in the area of Christian spiritual formation. He also serves as the director of the Aprentis Institute for Christian Spiritual Formation at Friends University.

A founding member of Richard J. Foster's spiritual renewal ministry, R
More about James Bryan Smith...