Start by marking “Hungry as the Sea” as Want to Read:
Hungry as the Sea

Hungry as the Sea

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  1,778 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Wilbur Smith sets his vividly realistic novels on the razor's edge between human courage and nature's wrath. In Hungry As The Sea, this master storyteller takes us to the frigid South Atlantic, where one man fights for his life-- and for redemption.

Nicholas Berg is steaming out of Cape Town aboard the salvage tug Warlock. Once Berg ruled an ocean-going empire. Now, his fut
Published May 15th 1999 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Hungry as the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hungry as the Sea

Natalie
Sep 04, 2011 Natalie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horny old men

2.6

Let me explain

5 descriptions of weather -rivaled only by those in David Brin's Earth?
4 descriptions of the movement of the sea.
-1 descriptions of love interests' POV/gaze. yuck.
AVG 2.6
Barbara ★
Another great book from Wilbur Smith. This time about a man, Nicholas Berg, who owns a salvage company and rescues disabled ships at sea. The first rescue in Antarctica is unbelievable as is the last one in the Caribbean during a hurricane. His rival in all things, Duncan Alexander, is a real ass and you will rout for his downfall from the first minute he enters the pages. What a greedy jerk!

I thoroughly enjoyed this around the world roller coaster ride of adventure and romance.
Eric_W
I'll read anything that has storms and ocean-going salvage tugs. This book has both, in addition to a vendetta, corporate and individual malfeasance, and romantic rivalry. The parts of the book dealing with those latter elements are the weakest. But Smith writes really well about ships during storms; the salvaging of the ocean liner in the beginning is riveting. One reviewer on Amazon complained that Smiths gets too technical and detailed during the storm scenes. Hell, man. That's the best part! ...more
Glenn
Wilbur Smith is one of my favorite authors. He is also one of the most frustrating because I either tend to love his books (most of them) or just hate them (Sunbird? oh please!) I'm happy to say that this falls in the former category. The edition I just read is from 1978 and basically fortold the BP Oil disaster in the Gulf of Mexico. This book is full of adventure, intrigue, revenge and romance. One of the best adventure books I've ever read.
Dwc
My first Wilbur Smith book. Never looked back! A great storyteller.
Edward Creter
Hungry as the Sea has all the action, suspense and romance a 400-pager can hold. It is Dirk Pitt on 500 acid trips! When Nick Berg accepts the challenge to save his own supertanker from turning the oceans from a big oily mess, he gets more than he bargains for. He'll have to fend off the competitive wiles of Duncan Alexander, a rich tycoon who cares little for the environment and plenty about making money. He'll also have to fight off hurricane winds, oil slicks and a beautiful ex-wife who plans ...more
Bebe Burnside
This book totally surprised me. It starts off very technical, but interesting. If you ever told me I would like reading about the details of search and rescue and recovery of damaged oil tankers I would have said no way. It brings you along and without realizing you have gone from an interesting how to manual to a story and then you have to keep going. It was informative, thrilling and captivating. A must read for anyone who likes sea stories and a should read for land lovers.
Sophie
I was surprised I enjoyed this as much as I did considering that I have no interest in shipping salvage operations! It was well written, although the plot was a little predictable.
Graham
This is a good book; maybe not Smith's best, but certainly above average for the genre. The combination of solid plotting and engaging technical detail (who knew there could be such a thing?) makes for an eventful and thought-provoking read.

The then-contemporary storyline covers salvage workers on the world's oceans. It doesn't sound like the most entertaining of subjects, but in Smith's hands it's both suspenseful and exciting. The initial extended set-piece involving the attempted salvage of a
Beck
This is my favourite Wilbur Smith book ... despite the fact that I get violently sea sick in real life, I love the story of adventure and romance on the high seas ... Nick is a modern day piratical figure and his heroic deeds deserve a movie ...
Stuart Aken
• HUNGRY AS THE SEA by Wilbur Smith, William Heinemann
430 pps. 170,000 words, no chapters, broken by asterisks.
A damn good yarn with romantic interest. Set at sea and portraying the trials of a salvage tug boat captain and shipping magnate fallen from grace and left by his wife. The hero meets his romantic partner when he dives into icy seas to rescue her after she tries to save the lives of the passengers of the cruise ship he is trying to salvage. The fight between him and the man who stole hi
Dan Newman
While I'll admit to not being really crazy about Mr. Smith's more recent works, I have to say his early stuff is what got me reading. This book in particular sticks with me. This man knows how to tell a yarn.
Jacob Smith
The first book of Smith's I ever read. I loved it so much, I am slowly working thru his whole collection!
Chhanda
not the usual african adventure. too technical ship details.
Deb
It's obvious the author knows about ships and such, or at least he writes good enough to convince me that he did. I skipped a lot of the text, mainly because it was a bit too technical and not interesting to me. The book could have been much shorter and told the same story. But if the reader is looking for detail on sea rescue, etc., then this is the book for that. I somehow missed what happened to Samantha. Did she survive? Nick thinks she did. I'm not so sure! Anyway, a decent read, but not a ...more
Tim Roast
Another typically good Wilbur Smith story.

This one is set in the mid 60s and focuses on the hero Nicholas Berg and his trip from 40 year old hasbeen to great success once more. It all starts with him taking on the captaincy of one of the two ships (the bulk of the novel is set at sea) his struggling firm owns to try and rediscover his vitality. And it works.

Needless to say this is gripping adventure at it's best all the way through and is a stand-alone novel so can be read without reading any of
Suby
The book starts with the salvage of a cruise ship in the Antarctic and ends with the partial salvage of cargo from a storm in the gulf of Mexico. The story in between the two salvages is of the world of shipping, high finance and people involved.
Wilbur Smith have woven a beautiful story out of a relatively less known field and I suspect he has an intimate knowledge of the topic.
A very readable book.
Charles F. Bond
hungry as the sea is a good book, there is a similarity in it and another i have read, or rather there is an idea in it that clashes with another book i have read, although i cannot think what the other book is. the idea is thought of by the captain of the ship as an idea for a business. i don't want to give the game away but would like to know if anyone else feels the same way.
Byl
I am a dedicated Wilbur Smith fan. This book hits me a bit differently in that it seems like a series of marketing efforts around high-end products. Sections of the book read like.... "He looked over his Waterford glass which was held in his hand that sported a large Rolex and saw her coming up the estate's driveway in her new, cobalt-coloured Jaguar." It's a bit odd.
☯Bettie☯
Wilbur Smith - Hungry as the Sea - Unabridged

Read By: Robert Gladwell (he sounds the worse for drink, rly!)
Duration: 19:43
Description: Nick Berg sets out to salvage a cruise ship stranded with 600 people in the frozen wastes of the Antarctic.

winter 2012
seven seas
adventure
tbr busting 2012
filthy lucre

“Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.” - Voltaire
Francesca Lorenzini
Una guerra fra due uomini per denaro, donne e successo, con conversione ambientalista del protagonista. Avvincente; il sesso c'è ma non è volgare; il finale scivola sullo splatter e forse è l'unica nota stonata. La sequenza iniziale sul rimorchiatore oceanico è molto realistica e rievoca davvero l'atmosfera del lavoro per mare.
Frank Gruver
This really is a great read. This author was suggested to me and I am happy I discovered this one. A man who had a big position in a shipping company decides to cash in his chips and start his own shipping company. It's a big gamble for him and you'll want to never put it down until you find out how it ends. Enjoy the journey.
Feliks
My favorite from among Wilbur Smith's novels. Great descriptions of the ocean and storms at sea.

One of my favorite movies comes from a Wilbur Smith book--that would be, 'Dark of the Sun'--but this innocuous title 'Hungry as the Sea' (often overlooked from among his output) is my top choice for a 'Smith' read.
Patricia
Jul 08, 2012 Patricia rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes action thrillers
Excellent read as is usual with a Wilbur Smith novel. This was a little more difficult to stay with in the beginning because of the nautical jargon - at least for me - since it requires more visualization, but once the characters got into their interactions and the storyline itself took over I was "hooked" :)

The_carob
Uno dei migliori libri che abbia mai letto. Storia avvincente con finale mozzafiato.
Ero titubante quando avevo preso il libro, per via del fatto che il racconto si incentra sul mare e sulle imbarcazioni, ma è la trama che è sensazionale.
Una lettura che raccomanderò ai miei amici.
Naomi
Nicholas Berg fights to regain his honor and power after losing his wife and son after she has divorced him to marry another man. He builds the latest and best version of an ocean salvage vessel. This is a very exciting story of rescues at sea and finding a new love.
Sara
Boy, did I love me some Wilbur Smith when I was a teenager.
I made the horrible mistake of reading this book again last year, and even though is not even remotely as offensive as some of his Courtney's books, is still misogynist as hell.
  • The Rattle-Rat - Grijpstra & De Gier, The Amsterdam Cops (Book 10)
  • The Golden Rendezvous
  • Stormchild
  • The ABCs of Handwriting Analysis: The Complete Guide to Techniques and Interpretations
  • Washington! (Wagons West, #9)
  • A Fine Old Conflict
  • With Friends Like These... (Amanda Pepper, #4)
  • Miss Pinkerton
  • The Golden Keel
  • A King's Commander (Alan Lewrie, #7)
  • Spacer and Rat
  • On Language
  • Get Thee to a Punnery: An Anthology of Intentional Assaults Upon the English Language
  • Murder at the Feast of Rejoicing (Lord Meren, #3)
  • A Rose for Virtue: The Very Private Life of Hortense, Stepdaughter of Napoleon I, Mother of Napoleon III
  • The Cannibals (Curse of the Jolly Stone, #2)
  • Kaleidoscope
  • When Death Comes Stealing (Tamara Hayle, #1)
Wilbur Smith is the bestselling author of many novels, each meticulously researched on his numerous expeditions worldwide. His bestselling Courtney series includes Assegai, The Sound of Thunder, Birds of Prey, Monsoon, and Blue Horizon. His other books include Those in Peril, River God, Warlock, The Seventh Scroll, and The Sunbird. His books are now translated into twenty-six languages and have so ...more
More about Wilbur Smith...
River God (Ancient Egypt, #1) The Seventh Scroll (Ancient Egypt, #2) Warlock: A Novel of Ancient Egypt (Ancient Egypt, #3) When the Lion Feeds (Courtney, #1) Monsoon (Courtney #10)