Start by marking “Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9: The Cure” as Want to Read:
Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9: The Cure

Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9: The Cure (Transmetropolitan #9)

4.45  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,717 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
The forces of darkness are closing in on outlaw journalist Spider Jerusalem and his merry, filthy band — but now they’ve got their own rope around the neck of corrupt President Callahan, and it’s time to start tightening the noose.TRANSMETROPOLITAN: THE CURE is the ninth volume reprinting the acclaimed series written by Warren Ellis (PLANETARY, RED) with art by Darick Robe ...more
Published April 26th 2011 by Vertigo (first published November 21st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Transmetropolitan, Vol. 9

HFK
While reading The Cure I kept thinking and imagining Jesse Ventura driving a black muscle car in remote roads, heading to a secret meeting with Alex Jones, eerie music in the background whispering NWO... NWO...NWO. This meeting would take place in a remote warehouse, where the misters would shake hands with serious impressions on their faces, looking at the evidence of conspiracies that would lead them to one and only logical conclusion: The Martial Law.

Admittedly, I have spend too much time wit
Sesana
Jan 16, 2015 Sesana rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This is the second to last volume of the series, and it's obvious on almost every page. Taken by itself, it feels very exposition-y, because it is setup for the last volume. That doesn't mean that it isn't satisfying. I loved seeing the pieces start to fall into place, and the last page is fantastic. If I'd been reading this in individual issues, I would have been delighted, but anxious for the month to be up. Watching Spider's ongoing deterioration is difficult. There are panels where he's inte ...more
Negativni
Sep 26, 2015 Negativni rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Uh! Ovo je bilo veliko razočarenje..

Transmetropolitan sam počeo čitati nakon odličnog Y: The Last Man series koji me iznenadio složenom radnjom i kvalitetom kojom je napisan. Tražio sam nešto "slično" a Transmetropolitan je iskakao na sve strane pa sam njega uzeo čitati.

Transmetropolitan naravno nije sličan Y: The Last Manu, nego možda Lobou, ako se dobro sjećam tog stripa, tu mislim ponajviše na "ultranasilje" kako to Amerikanci vole reći.

Glavni lik Transmetropolitana je Spider koji je pljunu
Sam Quixote
Mar 28, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spider's brain disease (kind of like Alzheimer's) continues to kill him, the effects this time around are becoming more noticeable as he struggles to write his exposes. Meanwhile he and his filthy assistants are hot on the trail of Callahan's potentially Presidential-term ending exploits in his campaign and hunt down the last living witness to his depravities.

It was cool to see Mitchell Royce, Spider's former editor at "The Word", get more of a look in in this, the penultimate book in the series
Michelle Morrell
Finally picking up the series again, I stopped because I basically didn't want to watch a certain character die.

This is good stuff, man. I love Spider, he's truly one of my heroes. Bleeding for the story, forcing people to do right by themselves, insisting on a better world. Love love love him.

Read during the October 2015 24-hour Read-a-thon.
Aaron
Aug 07, 2011 Aaron rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even in its 9th volume Transmetropolitan manages to feel fresh. The detailed, future-shock, ads-gone-mad art is a thrill to behold, and Spider Jerusalem ranks as one of the best comic characters of all time. The story is taut, and you can feel the time ticking away as Spider rushes to take down the status quo as his brain is slowly eaten by disease. Even if you don't care about comics, you need to read this series.
Dann
Aug 19, 2015 Dann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cyberpunk, comics
Warren Ellis' graphic novel series is unmistakeably well written. The 90's art style perfectly suits the story, and even suits the cyberpunk genre. It is a gritty, ultra-violent series, with a nice, different take on hacker altruism, inspired by the sci-fi novels of the 80's.

Having said that, it is a very difficult series to read. Pure nuggets of creativity are often dimmed by schizophrenic breaks--often by the protagonist--which, I understand, makes this series unique, and to some endearing, b
Erika
As Spider looses more control over his body he begins to gain more control over the situation, as the rest of the world (especially it's journalists) begin to become more and more aware of just what the president is doing to them.
It's been fascinating to watch how focused Spider gets and how the other journalists start to wake up and come around, even if it's only so they don't miss out on the ratings. And even as the President tightens his grip things slide out of his control faster and faster
Jess
Jun 06, 2011 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm finally getting around to finishing off the last couple of volumes of the great Transmetropolitan series. Reading Volume 9: The Cure made me question why I left it so long, because here Ellis is in top form, there are so many quotable bits here. Ellis even manages to show us more of The City, continually revealing, even this far in the series, the strange technologies and methods of control in place.

Spider Jerusalem, outlaw journalist of the future, is now fighting a biological deadline in
Sam Quixote
Mar 28, 2012 Sam Quixote rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

J.G. Keely
Comics have been going through a very public struggle with maturity for some time now. They were well on their way until they were hit with the 'Comics Code' in the fifties. The code was an outgrowth of reactionary postwar witch-hunting a la McCarthyism, and succeeded in limiting the content of an entire medium for thirty years.

For example, all crime had to be portrayed as sordid, and no criminals could be sympathetic. There goes any comic book retellings of Robin Hood. Good always had to triump
Brian
Aug 07, 2011 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here it is. The payoffs have already shown themselves in this issue. Against all odds, Spider finally manages to pull it together just enough to get a story through with real, credible evidence that damages the Smiler. The last panel of this issue was all kinds of satisfying. At long last, the gruesome trail of murder and deceit is beginning to unravel for the monstrous President.

While obviously I enjoyed the end the most, the entire issue was incredibly strong. There were no meandering plot thr
Kim
Jul 26, 2007 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fuck! I love Transmet. Spider Jerusalem is my hero - if I believed in such a thing; Spider would think that was lame as shit. When I dream of being a writer/auteur/general rabble-rouser I dream of him.

For those who don't know: Transmet (as the fans call it) tells the story of rogue journalist Spider Jerusalem, a bald, tattooed, crazyman with glasses that have 24-hour-a-day information in them and can connect to an Internet that like, pops up in front of you. The future, man. Anyway, his city -
Becky
Nov 24, 2015 Becky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am too sad about this story ending. On the bright side, positive rant: I love how Ellis writes Spider's assistants, Channon and Yelena. I can't stand stories where the male lead is constantly leaving his female partners and friends out of the loop and trying to "protect" them by running off to do his own thing. Channon and Yelena may not be as seasoned as journalists as Spider, but they are always fully capable of running with him on anything.
Joe Young
Aug 19, 2009 Joe Young rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Transmetropolitan Vol. 9: The Cure collects issues 49-54 of the DC comic Transmetropolitan. The Cure finds Spider Jerusalem down and out: he's been fired from his job, evicted from his apartment, diagnosed with an incurable brain infection that is steadily reducing him to a drooling vegetable and is now being hunted by invisible, personal assassination squads sent by the President of the United States. But Spider is still smiling because he and his filthy assistants, Channon Yarrow and Yelena Ro ...more
Erik
Aug 18, 2015 Erik rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
More great political satire from Transmetropolitan. This volume has a great issue where Spider's editor finds grows a pair and becomes a real journalist and the final story ends with the President declaring marshal law on the city and a great cliffhanger that sets up #10 - the last volume. Still one of the best graphic novel series ever.
Artemiy Nizovtsev
Jun 22, 2015 Artemiy Nizovtsev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, 5stars, vertigo
Man, at this point, I just can't put these books down once I start 'em. Three volumes in one day. I kind of feel bad, because I'm supposed to savour it, but damn it, I need to know what happens next! This book got incredibly serious and tense. And I absolutely love it.
Becca
Mar 07, 2015 Becca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Robert Beveridge
Sep 15, 2009 Robert Beveridge rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished, search-ohio
Warren Ellis, Transmetropolitan: The Cure (Vertigo, 2003)

Ellis starts to wrap everything up in this penultimate volume of Transmetropolitan, tracking down the few surviving people who were part of the President's darker days on the campaign trail, one of whom is an old adversary. Spider Jerusalem is getting sicker; will he survive long enough to finish this last story? Despite the extremely dark tenor the story has taken in its final few volumes, Transmetropolitan remains as funny as ever. In fa
M.i.
Oct 07, 2015 M.i. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the volume where Spider finally lands the haymaker he's been looking for. Previous volumes have had him dancing around with the president, softening him up with a few blows, not getting an opening, whilst the president has looked invincible. But now Spider has gotten his shot and looks like he's going to make the best of it
Owen
Aug 17, 2014 Owen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Chair Leg of Truth swings and hits its bloodied mark, with a damn fined editor having his moment to boot.

As an aside, Glen Fabry's covers are a glorious fit for the series.
Regan
Dec 10, 2014 Regan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rushing, rushing, rushing to find out what's going to HAPPEN.

Such fun.

Scary martial law stuff. Scary political stuff. Scary mortality stuff.

FUN!
Michelle Lynne
The end of this series is coming up far faster than I'd like. But the story is getting intense now, and I'm not putting these books down until I'm finished.
Steve Werner
I thought the ending was weak, and the story petered out for the last couple volumes. Still right behind Sandman for my favorite comic series though.
Grant Flynn
Jun 02, 2015 Grant Flynn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great series which is looking eerily prescient. More mad energy as the series rushes towards its conclusion. Well worth reading
Cameron
Jun 14, 2014 Cameron rated it it was amazing
The story barrels along toward its conclusion, setting up the final confrontation as the president plays harder than ever.

Deena
Jun 20, 2014 Deena rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, comics, dystopian
The Smiler is one sick fuck... no match for our dear Spider and his filthy assistants though :P
Andrew
Oct 26, 2015 Andrew rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Spider Jerusalem is one character I'm never going to forger.
Heather Iveson
This is a series that knows how to end a volume in style
Drew
Sep 07, 2013 Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As much as I thoroughly enjoyed this installment and only found a few little nitpicks at the start... there's only so much time you can spend waiting for that bell to ring. And this entire installment is the moment, not even the second but the split-second, before it does - that sort of drawn-out tension is spectacular but let's just say I'm quite glad I have the final installment on hand. You wouldn't want to let this cliffhanger sit any longer than absolutely necessary.
But ooooh it is a good o
  • Preacher, Volume 7: Salvation
  • The Invisibles, Vol. 2: Apocalipstick
  • 100 Bullets, Vol. 9: Strychnine Lives
  • Lucifer, Vol. 4: The Divine Comedy
  • DMZ, Vol. 2: Body of a Journalist
Warren Ellis is the award-winning writer of graphic novels like TRANSMETROPOLITAN, FELL, MINISTRY OF SPACE and PLANETARY, and the author of the NYT-bestselling GUN MACHINE and the “underground classic” novel CROOKED LITTLE VEIN. The movie RED is based on his graphic novel of the same name, its sequel having been released in summer 2013. His graphic novel GLOBAL FREQUENCY is in development at Jerry ...more
More about Warren Ellis...

Transmetropolitan (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 0: Tales of Human Waste  (Transmetropolitan, #0)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1: Back on the Street (Transmetropolitan, #1)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 2: Lust for Life (Transmetropolitan, #2)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 3: Year of the Bastard (Transmetropolitan, #3)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 4: The New Scum (Transmetropolitan, #4)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 5: Lonely City (Transmetropolitan, #5)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 6: Gouge Away (Transmetropolitan, #6)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 7: Spider's Thrash (Transmetropolitan, #7)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 8: Dirge (Transmetropolitan, #8)
  • Transmetropolitan, Vol. 10: One More Time (Transmetropolitan, #10)

“Listen to the Chair Leg of Truth! It does not lie!” 31 likes