Start by marking “Black's Law Dictionary” as Want to Read:
Black's Law Dictionary

Black's Law Dictionary

Book Summary of Black's Law Dictionary Edited by Bryan A. Garner, the world's leading legal lexicographer, Black's Law Dictionary, 8th Edition is now better than ever! The new 8th Edition has more than 43,000 definitions, plus almost 3,000 quotations. Alternative spellings or equivalent terms and expressions are provided for more than 5,300 terms and senses, serving a thes ...more
Hardcover, Eighth Edition, 1810 pages
Published May 14th 2004 by West Publishing Co (first published June 1891)

Darth J
Once upon a time I was a law nerd and wanted to become an attorney. While working at a firm curbed me of that right quick, I still loved all the jargon. This book is a handy reference guide to legalese.

Review also posted at My Bookshelf is Ready.
Drew
Aug 10, 2007 Drew rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children of all ages
a murder-mystery wrapped in a true coming-of-age tale!
Chelsey
Mar 20, 2008 Chelsey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: debaters
Hehehe. Only a debater, and more importantly, only I would have a dictionary up here. : ]
Jordan
Mar 31, 2012 Jordan rated it really liked it
Shelves: law
And by "read," I mean used moderately.
Jesse
Aug 20, 2016 Jesse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Solid reference.
Ricky Ricardo
Aug 29, 2014 Ricky Ricardo rated it it was amazing
A Must
David Dranchak
Apr 12, 2011 David Dranchak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Black's Law Dictionary, 8th Edition is a helpful reference work for anyone in business or law today. Black's Law Dictionary offers precise and accurate legal definitions.

Black's Law Dictionary, 8th Edition is edited by lexicographer Bryan A. Garner and is distributed by Thomson-West Publishing Company.

Black's Law Dictionary has several editions and is available in many different media formats. Visit Black's website to learn more:

Zach
Aug 26, 2009 Zach rated it really liked it
This is actually a review of the Ninth Edition. While this dictionary is comprehensive and very useful, the quality of the typesetting, printing, and binding leave much to be desired for so weighty a tome. I was hoping I'd never have to buy another one of these, but I might have to contact an antiquarian bookseller for a proper version.
Diane Scannell
A must have on every serious genealogist's book shelf.
Kersten
I liked that it lists the related sub-topics under words (ex. under eviction, there's actual eviction, constructive eviction, etc. defined). The only drawback is you expect it to be in alphabetical order since it is a dictionary, so sometimes you have to go on a treasure hunt to find the word you need to define.
Lance Cooper
Dec 03, 2014 Lance Cooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
FWIW, the book photo and publication information listed by GR are not correct. The seventh edition was published in 1999 by West Group. Henry Campbell Black had been dead a looong time before this edition appeared.
Adrienna
Dec 05, 2013 Adrienna marked it as to-read
Shelves: gift, law-legal

*I believe I have this book packed with other law books that Dad sent in 2004, and other books thereafter...some just this week (2013).
Tammy Daniels
Oct 27, 2013 Tammy Daniels rated it it was amazing
Precise excellent reference tool but the binding of the heavy book leaves a lot to be desired considering the cost
Gregory
Apr 10, 2012 Gregory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Particularly good is the appendix of legal maxims. Est quiddam perfectius in rebus licitus.
Annissa Fitriani
Dec 25, 2012 Annissa Fitriani rated it it was amazing
An excellent and absolutely perfect reference for Law Students and Practitioners
Ben Moore
Jul 11, 2007 Ben Moore rated it it was amazing
Unfortunately stuck on this one - and other dry material - for the next two weeks.
Jenny
Sep 09, 2007 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: law students
Shelves: reference
Really came in handy - especially first semester, when I had no clue about anything.
John Yelverton
Jul 24, 2012 John Yelverton rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must have for any student attempting to learn the language of the law.
Courtney
Mar 14, 2007 Courtney rated it liked it
Shelves: law
I guess it's fine...I just don't use it much; the internet usually suffices.
Terrance
Aug 02, 2008 Terrance rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-some-of-it
Best of the best for legal definitions.
Chava
Aug 31, 2012 Chava rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
Riveting. I couldn't put it down.
Lady
Jun 13, 2007 Lady added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: criminals or those aspiring to
Shelves: law
the webster's pocket dictionary of law.
Kathryn Michaels
My BIBLE!!!!!
Lisa
Love it.
Margaret Aranda
Margaret Aranda rated it liked it
Sep 30, 2016
  • Constitutional Law (University Casebook Series)
  • Plain English for Lawyers
  • The Bluebook: A Uniform System Citation
  • Civil Procedure: Examples & Explanations
  • Constitutional Law: Principles and Policies (Aspen Treatise Series)
  • Making Your Case: The Art of Persuading Judges
  • Law School Confidential: A Complete Guide to the Law School Experience: By Students, for Students
  • Typography for Lawyers
  • Property
  • The Curmudgeon's Guide to Practicing Law
  • The Common Law
  • Getting to Maybe: How to Excel on Law School Exams
  • Roget International Thesaurus
  • Academic Legal Writing: Law Review Articles, Student Notes, Seminar Papers, and Getting on Law Review (University Casebook Series)
  • Commentaries on the Laws of England, Volume 1: A Facsimile of the First Edition of 1765-1769
  • How to Start & Build a Law Practice
  • The Bramble Bush: The Classic Lectures on the Law and Law School
  • 1L of a Ride: A Well-Traveled Professor's Roadmap to Success in the First Year of Law School (Student Guides)