Start by marking “The Promise” as Want to Read:

3.93  ·  Rating Details ·  10,353 Ratings  ·  353 Reviews
Young architect Micheal Hillyard and artist Nancy McAllister are determined to get married despite his wealthy mother's disapproval. Then minutes before their wedding, a terrifying accident and a cruel deception separate Micheal and Nancy - perhaps forever. Each pursues a new life - Nancy in California, Micheal in New York. But eventually nothing - and no one - can keep th ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Sphere (first published 1977)

To ask other readers questions about The Promise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Promise

Pam
Jun 20, 2010 Pam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Published in 1978 and my 1st DS book. Re-read and still enjoyed it. "the early morning sun streamed across their backs as they unhooked their bicycles in front of Eliot House on the Harvard campus."

Nancy, an aspiring artist and orphan, and Michael, from a wealthy background, promise to love each other always. Nancy is not who Michael's mother would choose for her son & expresses her distaste and disapproval for this relationship. Michael, has always been the dutiful son to his widowed mother
Fran
Re-read
Yep, still in love with this. I wish there was an epilogue though. :/

-----
January 28, 2014
The last time I read this was a decade ago and that was before my paperback copy was never returned to me. Luckily, I found an e-book. Thank you techy gods!

I think I decided to re-read this because I was curious to know whether or not the twentysomething me would still love it. I was only a high school sophomore then so what the heck did I know about "good" books anyway. At first, I thought it would
Laura Da Rosa
Jan 09, 2013 Laura Da Rosa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the book the Promise by Danielle Steel we are taught many life lessons, we learn that no mater what incidents happen in life it goes on and eventually you'll get through it, your taught that if you care about something or someone enough the love will never fade away. The main characters in the book Nancy and Michael are young and madly in love with each other, Michael's mother though is not a fan of Nancy and doesn't approve of her as Michael's girlfriend or wife.
Late one night they decide t
Youmna S. El-Din
Gotta admit that at the beginning I did not like this novel much ,but as I kept on reading it just caught me with the specific details and the dramatic changes that happens to almost every character in this novel .Danielle Steel sure is a great and talented writer to write such a fascinating novel ,this was my first book to read by Danielle Steel but it sure is not going to be the last.
Julie Barrett
Aug 08, 2013 Julie Barrett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Promise by Danielle Steel
Michael Hillard and Nancy MacAllister are to be wed but the car accident prior to the wedding
leaves others to wonder if they will keep their vow. He is an architect and she is an artist.
His wealthy mother disapproves though...They will be separated but will it keep them apart?
He is appalled that his mother have a private eye find out about Nancy's past=like it was her fault who her parents turned out to be.
On their way to get married the car crashes and he's unconsci
Mary
Jan 03, 2010 Mary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Absolute trite.
Redfox5
Sep 20, 2016 Redfox5 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chick-lit, fiction, usa
I've not long read 'Accident' by Steel which also featured a Car Crash as one of the main plot points. And whereas I couldn't put 'Accident' down, The Promise fell flat.

I think the problem was the characters just didn't have much personality. It was hard to care about them. I didn't find the reasons they gave for the choices they made very believable. The whole Nancy/Marie thing was weird. It was strange that she had coaching to change her voice but in the end I understood why that was in ther
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Promise, Danielle Steel
عنوان: پیمان، نویسنده: دانیل استیل؛ برگردان: فریده بیگدلی، چاپ پنجم، 1372، انتشارات کلینی، 356 ص
کتاب با عنوانهای: «پیوند»؛ و «بر بالهای عشق»؛ نیز منتشر شده است
نویسنده: بانو «دانیله فرناندز شوئلین دومینک استیل»، که در ایران و سایر کشورهای جهان به اختصار و به اشتباه ایشان را «دانیل استیل» میخوانند، ملکه داستان نویسی رمانتیک آمریکا و خالق «مکس و مارتا» و بیش از یکصد رمان هستند. ادبیات همگانی از ابزارهای گوناگونی استفاده میکند، همچون ایجاد شوق در جوانان، پندهای اخلاقی، نث
Lenny Husen
Very romantic story. I first read it at age 15 and really loved it, read it again as an adult and thought it was silly. Why wouldn't he want to look for her grave? But okay, allowing for that, and how easily the main characters get everything they want or think they want, this is a fun little romance. Danielle Steel is a dreadful writer but this book is OK, if you have to read one by her this is the least nauseating. I think she had help with this one, at least I read that that was the case.
Purvika
o my god seriously this was my first book ever... the story the lines it was just o my god have no words .... just hooked my with love stories for ever .... i still carry the paperback copy of this bold its even smells old but when ever i look at it i remember the days i kept think abt this book ... :)
Kathy
Oct 26, 2007 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-novels
A poor girl marries a rich boy and is unacceptable to her new mother-in-law. When she is in a car accident and terribly disfigured, her mother-in-law pays for her reconstructive surgery on the condition that she will disappear from her son's life. This was a TV movie (and Ms Steele wrote the books afterwards) with Kathleen Quinlan and Steven Collins.
Stella
First book I ever read because I was bored. I was grounded in high school and I stayed up all night to finish it. It was great! I went on to read Danielle Steel for several years. I loved the way she described the women in the stories and the places they went and where they lived. Just beautitul!
Sheila
Feb 18, 2010 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the very first book I read by this author and fell in love with her style of writing as I could 'picture' the story unfolding in my mind. Years later I saw the movie and although it was good I could honestly say that the book was so much better and I have been reading her books ever since.
Nick Stewart
I'm always amazed at the lengths snooty matriarchs will go to, just to keep poor, deserving girls from marrying their sons.
Isis Ray-sisco
This was a reread for me. I enjoyed it as much as I did the fist time years ago. I love DS books and I am glad I agreed to do this for a buddy read.
Michelle Kurkowski Pagels
Jan 02, 2015 Michelle Kurkowski Pagels rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
This was the book that made my mom love to read. It is classic Danielle Steel. Loved it.
Lexi
May 28, 2014 Lexi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Author: Danielle Steel

Michael Hillyard and Nancy McAllister are madly in love. Michael met Nancy at a Boston Gallery where her work was being shown. She is an artist and he is a famous architect. He asked her out and fell madly in love with her. Nancy wasn't too quick to jump into a serious relationship. Her mother had left her as a young child in an orphanage. She just abandoned her. Nancy had not really healed from it. She doesn't want to trust or love anyone. Michael kept asking he
W.I.
Jul 13, 2012 W.I. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
Anupama Ma
a) I’m too old for this kind of drivel

b) This wasn’t drivel when it was written back in 1978

c) I’m too hardhearted and cynical to understand Love

Chances are that the right answer might be option c.

After the thundercloud of This Divided Island, I wanted some cotton candy fluffy clouds. The Promise was one of those books that Chitrakka made be get for her from V K Library. It was the rage back then. Longlongago. I think I even tried to read it as a teenager, I do have vague memories of some beads
Becky Frost
Ok....those first four chapters of the book had some of the worst dialogue I have ever read in a book for adults. The first chapter is supposed to be filled with the dialogue of someone who just got an advanced degree from Harvard and yet the conversations sounds like Middle School kids:

"I love you."
"I love you more."
"I love you even more."

Holy crap I kept waiting for someone to take it to infinity.

Then, the dialogue in chapter four had me wanting to put forks in my eyes. But an amazing thing ha
Arezu Wishka
یه داستان عامه پسند میخواستم بهش امتیاز دو بدم اما سه دادم چون داستان روونی بود. به نظرم دانیل استیل جزو نویسنده هایی هست که ادبیات پاورقی آمریکا رو تشکیل میده.جالب بود که ببینم ادبیات پاورقی آمریکا چجوریه.
از اول داستان میشد آخر داستان رو حدس زد.یه داستان عشقی که با اینکه میدونی آخرش چی میشه دوست داری به خاطر لذت بردن از لحظات لطیفش به خوندن ادامه بدی چون تو واقعیت کمتر پیش میاد اونا رو لمس کنی و یه فضای فانتزی برات به وجود میاد تا بتونی از اون حس ها سرخوش بشی.
شاید یکی دو کتاب دیگه از دانیل استی
Adam Davis
Jul 13, 2009 Adam Davis rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
My wife and I both had our seventh grade teacher read this book to us. Years later, I was in a band with the authors son for a few weeks before he was kicked out for drug use. Oh yea, the book... It was pretty awful.
Erica Annuar
Sep 13, 2016 Erica Annuar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first DS's book. First read it when I was 13 or 14. Fell in love with it. Some promises are meant to be kept.... & cherished. <3
Charleybrown
Oct 12, 2009 Charleybrown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first favourite book back when I was 14. I've long since tired of Steel's repetitive plots but this one remains a sentimental favourite.
Jennifer Margeson
Mar 24, 2016 Jennifer Margeson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
I realized I FAR prefer Danielle Steel novels from decades past. Except for the mention of a dictaphone, the novel was timeless and I enjoyed finishing a quick re-read!
Lindsay
Jan 12, 2015 Lindsay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
*a book your mom loves*
{cheese ball}
Amin elahifard
Jul 29, 2016 Amin elahifard rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
این کتاب رو در دوران نوجوانی خوندم ،یک تاثیر عاطفی عمیق روی انسان می ذاره.
ThePersonNextToYou
Read this years ago and liked it.
John Stanks
Feb 05, 2017 John Stanks rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a big fan of reading romantic novels to be honest, but still I read The Promise by Danielle Steel for the fun of it and its free lol. However its no fun at all, this romantic book amuses me every chapter and the story didn't really draw me into the rushed story and characters weird love affairs. Talk about broken promises.
Terralyn Brown Barfield
Couldn't wait for each new Danielle Steel book.
What's The Name o...: unknown drama romance novel [s] 6 57 Feb 06, 2014 07:02AM
Danielle Steel Bo...: The Promise 1 5 Nov 20, 2012 03:10AM
A nice book 7 46 Aug 28, 2012 12:16PM
  • When Twilight Comes (Mists of Fernhaven #1)
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • The Italian's Rightful Bride
  • Patrick's Destiny (The Devaneys #4)
  • The Lives of Danielle Steel: The Unauthorized Biography of America's #1 Best-Selling Author
  • Dating the Rebel Tycoon (The Kellys of Brisbane, #1)
  • Good Girls Don't
  • The Player
  • Double Dare (Harlequin Blaze #324)
  • The Trouble with J.J.
  • Frontier Courtship
  • Hot for Him (Harlequin Blaze, #326)
  • I'll Take Manhattan
  • Faith (Virtue, #2)
  • The Captive (Harlequin Blaze, #534)
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...

“up and walked slowly to the mirror, and then she stood there with a broad smile, and a narrow river of tears gleaming on her face. He stood behind her, at a good distance. He wanted to leave her alone. This was her moment. “Oh God, Peter, it’s beautiful.” He laughed softly. “Not ‘it’s’ beautiful, silly girl. You’re beautiful. It is you,” 0 likes