Start by marking “Speed of Darkness (StarCraft, #3)” as Want to Read:
Speed of Darkness (StarCraft, #3)

Speed of Darkness (Starcraft #3)

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  944 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Far in the future, 60,000 light-years from Earth, a loose confederacy of Terran exiles is locked in battle with the enigmatic Protoss and the ruthless Zerg Swarm, as each species struggles to ensure its own survival among the stars -- war that will herald the beginning of mankind's greatest chapter or foretell its violent, bloody end.

All Ardo Menikov ever dreamed of was to

Kindle Edition
Published (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Speed of Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Speed of Darkness

Felipe Guerrero
Agradable, entretenido y con mucha acción, sobre todo en los últimos capítulos.

Me gusto bastante este libro, de los tres que he leído este sería el numero dos, con Liberty's Crusade en primer lugar a mi gusto.

Es una buena historia Sci-Fi, pero que no tiene mas relación con Starcraft que nombres de unidades y enemigos, de hecho si cambiara eso seria un libro muy genérico en realidad, entretenido pero uno mas del montón, ya que no aparecen personajes conocidos del videojuego.

Pero sin duda lo mejor
First of all, i'd question my objectivity on any book that's related to StarCraft, simply because i consider myself to be a HUGE fan of the series and the story. Bearing that in mind, this is my opinion on the book.

The book takes place during the Terran campaign in StarCraft and it's centered around a group of Confederate marines.

I'll say it right away - most reviews about this book seem to sum it up very well, and i was thinking about rating it 3 stars (instead of 4), and i would have...if it
Best if read: after or during first few levels of playing Episode I of Starcraft.

A lot of the descriptions I read about it (I'm trying to read things as they would have happened in relation to the games) gave me the impression that the main character Marine would go through Episode I of Starcraft, the Terran campaign. He barely saw a part of the very first few levels. It still gave a good background/side-story to what was happening on Mar Sara, but it certainly did not follow the campaign by any
Caitlin (Ayashi)
Fun story line. I wasn't a huge fan of the main character and felt that he was overall not particularly easy to identify with (for me at least) and in general not very likable which didn't help. I did however enjoy the story of this marine private and his teammates and what happens to them on the planet of Mar Sara.
This is probably my 2nd favorite of Hickman`s solo novels to date. ...more
Phillip Dimarzo
Feb 04, 2009 Phillip Dimarzo added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sci fi fans
this book is part of a four book seires that is based off of the famous computer game starcraft. this is a very good chapter to the starcraft universe because it expands more on the idea of the where the aliens came from. the story starts off before the main charater Ardo is sent into the army where he and his grilfriend were sitting on a grassy plain on a planet some where in some galaxy, they were in the middle of a engagment when the towns sirens go out alerting the people that the aliens whi ...more
After the second Starcraft Novel, I wasn't really sure I wanted to read another book in the serie. But since I already bought it, I started it to finish them and eventually get ride of them.

I only read fantasy novels by Hickman and most of them was with somebody else so I didn't know what he can wrote by himself. I wasn't disapointed.

I really liek this short novel, Hickman is very good with characterization. Nothing new in the plot, typical 're-programmed' soliders that finaly think by himself
Muhammad Qayyum
I have to force myself to finish it. The writing is over descriptive making you confuse. The storyline is bored, mostly.

The main character, Ardo is the worse main character I have ever met. I tried to be emphatic since he's a resoc, but the way it is potrayed make me feel like if I have 100 resoc marines, I'm going to lose them all to a zerg larva!
Paulo "paper books always" Carvalho
The Third book was called Speed of Darkness and was written by Tracy Hickman, one of the founders of Dragonlance. This book was probably the best of them but as the others they didn't do it for me... This story we get to know a bit more of all military aspect of the Terran Confederacy. Marines are a brainwashed conscript with no porpuse with the expection of following orders. The narrative is quick and the plot is throw at us briefly. At the middle book we get the zerg and the attack on the outp ...more
Kayl Karadjian
The ending of the novel is perfect, and reveals the ultimate sacrifice of the protagonist and his company. Out of most of Blizzard's books I've read, I felt that Speed of Darkness was one of the better ones. Not just for its plot or setting, but the tragic and yet beautiful tale of the book's hero.
Timothy McNeil
Didn't feel connected to to the first two books (in fact, it felt a little contradictory; this may have been on purpose). Also read like a StarCraft version of Starship Troopers 2: Hero of the Federation (which, it should be noted, would really mean that Starship Troopers 2 was more like a movie version of this book than a sequel to the Heinlein original).
To be honest I felt like reading this book is cheating. It was so quick, so easy that didn't really feel like a book. So shallow that if I had watched a movie with this much plot I would be pissed. Seriously the in-game cut scenes have more to them than this did.

There is the occasional paragraph that transcends the mindless phoney military rhetoric. Maybe a snippet of description. I would rate this lower but this is about what I expected from this book. If you start reading this expecting some C
This book was absolutely awful. Yes, it had a plot, but the main character was fussy and constantly pissing himself every single time he had to do anything (and this wasn't just in combat situations). I totally am aware that I would make a crappy soldier, but I don't want to read about someone who is as much a pansy as I am. Also, this book took a game that was fun, granted the plotline was full of backstabbing, and made a book that lacked any humor, joy or happiness. Skip the book and watch thi ...more
Really awesome to give another perspective of the destruction of mar sara. Also, even though I love terran in the game, it also shows the true nature of the confederacy and other organizations such as the sons of korhal and their influence on the entire human race. Besides that,this book sends a bit deeper message to find out who you really are. I sympathize for Ardo and his situation but hes such an amazing character for that same reason and his actions were in fact epic. Good book, apparently ...more
Scott Vout
Just another bug hunt, though with a small twist that becomes clear about two thirds of the way through the book.

i have read many Hickman books, mostly from Dragonlance.

I played the StarCraft video game way back when - it was all right
so i gave the book a go

Take it or leave it as far as i am concerned, the main character, Ardo, has some compelling development but overall this was just another book on the pile. Nothing here to stoke a burning need to keep reading the series.
A little better than Shadow of the Xel'Naga because of the infantry action.

"Speed of Darkness" is a great name for a horrible book.

Only read the book if you are a die-hard fan of Starcraft universe and every single piece of Lore is interesting to you. If you are not, don't waste your time reading it.

This is a book from the set of four, STARCRAFT ARCHIVE growing up as a child i use to love the game, when i discovered a book series devoted to the fantastic software i started reading it. i couldn't stop, this specific book is good for those people in the world who love slight mystery, lots of fast paced action, and crying at the end of books.
Another story that could have been better had not the main character been so annoying/unlikeable.
David Hauge
Fun easy read for fans of the game, on anyone interested in a pretty simple space marines versus aliens story. Gave close enough attention to detail to appease the SC fanboy in me, and ramped up to a surprisingly dark ending that left me happy to have breezed through it.
Robert Kemp
My favorite Starcraft novel! I loved the way it depicted the human soldiers. The terror involved in warfare. The brainwashing and uniformity that makes a soldier. Brutal action. All come together with a great conclusion, full of self-sacrifice and revelation.
Casey Hodges
If you are interested in the life of a marine just as the war with the Zerg started to escalate, then here it is. Otherwise, this story does little to expand the Starcraft universe.
None of the main characters participated in this book and the storyline followed a single character only which kinda made it dry at times. It certainly wasn't a happy ending.
Ivan Leong
A nice story about a "resoc" marine. A shame it does not relate to any major characters in Starcraft. If you skipped this book you wouldnt miss any important bits.
I always loved the Stacraft lore, reading this books i hope to satisfy this need until i can get my hands in Whisper of the Void D:
Ugh. The last quarter of the book was okay, with a touch of good, but the first three quarters... just no.
David Langlois
Best novel of the starcraft series. The ending is nice, but brutal ! Worth the time to read it .
Phenomenal. 4.5 stars. So much better than the last book.
Nice Mind bending book but has a perdictable ending
Pavol Gono
Český názov: Rychlost temnoty
Preklad: Robert Major
Human focus, not-so-great great pacing?
  • Liberty's Crusade (StarCraft, #1)
  • Shadow of the Xel'Naga (Starcraft, #2)
  • Starcraft: I, Mengsk
  • Queen of Blades (Starcraft)
  • Twilight (StarCraft: The Dark Templar Saga, #3)
  • Nova (StarCraft: Ghost, #1)
  • Uprising (Starcraft, #0.5)
  • Heaven's Devils (StarCraft II, #1)
  • Starcraft: Spectres (Starcraft: Ghost Series #2)
  • StarCraft: Frontline, Volume 1 (Starcaft)
  • The Black Road (Diablo #2)
  • Endgame (Doom #4)
  • The Veiled Prophet (Diablo: The Sin War, #3)
  • Jacinto's Remnant (Gears of War, #2)
NYT Best-selling fantasy authors Tracy Hickman, with his wife Laura, began their journey across the 'Sea of Possibilities' as the creators of 'Dragonlance' and their voyage continues into new areas with the 'Drakis' trilogy, 'Wayne of Gotham', a Batman novel for DC Comics and his 'Dragon's Bard' collector's series . Tracy has over fifty books currently in print in most languages around the world. ...more
More about Tracy Hickman...

Starcraft (6 books)
  • Uprising (Starcraft, #0.5)
  • Liberty's Crusade (StarCraft, #1)
  • Shadow of the Xel'Naga (Starcraft, #2)
  • Queen of Blades (Starcraft)
  • The Starcraft Archive (StarCraft, Uprising & #1-3)