Syndrome

Syndrome

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  21 reviews
When a rogue neuropathologist makes a startling breakthrough - literally isolating the root of all evil in the recesses of the human brain - he'll stop at nothing to advance his theory. With the help of a naive Hollywood actress, a tormented motion picture director, and a condemned serial killer, Dr. Wolfe Brunswick launches a bold experiment in the Nevada desert, the outc...more
Published September 7th 2010 by Archaia (first published August 24th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Syndrome, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Syndrome

Scott Sigler
Four stars, but first off let me say that the ending felt like the story just ended, I didn't get a sense of closure. So anyone picking this up because of my raves (to follow below) needs to know that going in.

With that out of the way, what a fantastic set-up for a book. The plot concept literally got me excited as a creator, in the always heady "damn, why didn't I think of that?" way. The plot centers on an attempt to "cure evil." I can't say any more due to spoilers, but it's riveting.

The sto...more
zxvasdf
An unique albeit tax-payer straining approach to rehabilitation. I loved the premises, and how it built up, but the denouement was kind of a killer (ha ha no pun intended!) for me.

Despite that, the book has left open a possibility for a sequel and I would pick it up in a flash.
Derek Royal
Read this one after The Joyners in 3-D, just to see some of Ryan and Marquez's other work. This one seemed more incomplete than Joyners...or at least I thought it ended rather abruptly. The art style in this one is very different from that of Joyners (outside of the obvious 3-D issue), and the tone is much darker and more graphic.
Nick
At the heart of it, this story is an odd blend of The Prisoner and Silence of the Lambs. The surreal environment needed for a mad scientist's experiments was remarkably strange and mostly convincing. His obsession with finding a "cure" for evil was powerful and is what really drove the story. His method, which involves building an entire fake town to use as his "clinic," is very strange and very frightening.
Overall, this was a very disturbing story, but one that I would recommend to anyone who i...more
Joe Young
This graphic novel has slick art and a compelling idea to work with but is only about one-half as long as it ought to be. By the time things are really heating up the book ends and the reader is left frustrated and unsatisfied. The premise is that a doctor is working on curing people of being "evil" by surgically altering their brains. He takes an unrepentant serial murderer and plops him into the middle of an elaborate constructed reality a la The Truman Show to see if he can surgically remove...more
Paula
My rating stands somewhere between 3 and 4 stars.
Syndrome is illustrated by David Marquez. Marquez created every page digitally. Since the illustrations are all digital, it makes everything look very clean and streamlined. It really adds to the realism of the story.
The story follows a psychiatrist's attempts to cure a sociopath. He teams up with actors and an infamous set designer to create a controlled environment to test his "cure" on a convicted serial killer. (Think something like The Trum...more
Edward
Awesome graphic novel with an excellent question at its center about evil and the decisions we make. Also, for mature audiences even if my 2-year-old likes the baby on the cover. :)
Pauline
An interesting read inside the mind of a serial killer and the scientist who is trying to change his nature. It felt unfinished to me though.
Wendy
Love/Hate.

Loved the premise, the buildup and the artwork was tip top.

But the ending? Yeah, could have been better.
William Kemp

Wish it was longer.
Jeffrey Pfaller
The polished art in this book is really well done – it’s not genre-bending or boundary-pushing, but just plain solid, traditional execution. I found quite a few of the characters intriguing, especially the art director and the actress, but at the end of the book I was left wanting more from them. The concept behind the book is that a researcher and Branson-esque billionaire are trying to cure the evil side of human nature, and their methodology is ripe for lots of great storytelling, but at the...more
Christoaugust
Syndrome had the potential to be great; as it is, the book leaves way too many loose ends hanging with an all-too neat and tidy ending.
Bill Williams
In Syndrome, a doctor with a radical theory decides to fix the chemical imbalance in the mind of a serial killer to remove his evil impulses. To do that, he experiments on the killer in a controlled environment which is an isolated movie set. An actress with strong improv skills is hired to be bait for the trap as the chemical cure is tested.

The art on this tale of victims and killers is clear and crisp, but the story wanders. It's got unnecessary non-linear story telling and paper-thin characte...more
Kiesha
Love the concept behind this story - treating sociopathic behavior as a disease, with surgical/medical intervention. Quick read and excellent graphics. Parts were based in Los Angeles and the images of the city were spot on, I really liked that. Found this gem at the American Library Association Conference and I am so glad I wandered over.
TJ Shelby
I give props to Daniel Quantz. This was like a mix of Warren Ellis and Mark Millar. I'll just echo everyone else's comments that the premise and delivery were outstanding but the weak, sequel set-up ending left a little to be desired.
Mark Taylor
Disclaimer: I know one of the authors, but this graphic novel has a clever concept and is a fun read. The artwork is terrific in some areas; the landscapes, the car crash is great, but weak in others; all the characters.
Dru
I didn't hate the art, but with the exception of the couple of pages with a 9-panel grid, I found it pretty underwhelming and boring. The story had potential, but in the end, it was over but it felt like it had gotten started.
andrew
meh. a strong meh, but still a meh. and I haven't seen female characters so objectified since...ever? not a good thing.
Michael
Disappointing. It's a great concept, but not much story. I'm unclear what anyone learns or accomplishes by the end.
Nick
Nice idea with good artwork but cut short just when stuff was getting interesting!
Robert
didn't really work for me
Cian
Cian marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Eliel
Eliel marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Bill
Bill marked it as to-read
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Ana Silva
Ana Silva marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2014
BigJohn
BigJohn marked it as to-read
Jedidiah
Jedidiah marked it as to-read
« previous 1 3 4 next »
To Hell And Back Ogn United Free Worlds #1 United Free Worlds #3 United Free Worlds Volume 1 United Free Worlds, Issue #7