Start by marking “Yes Day!” as Want to Read:
Yes Day!

Yes Day!

3.87  ·  Rating Details  ·  651 Ratings  ·  144 Reviews
No matter how silly the requests, there is one day a year when kids always receive positive answers: Can I have pizza for breakfast? Yes Can we have a food fight? Yes Can I stay up really late? Yes This day is simply called Yes Day and it's the best day of the year.

Amy Krouse Rosenthal's simple text coupled with Tom Lichtenheld's delightful illustrations will send kids on
Published (first published May 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Yes Day!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yes Day!

Kathryn
Why is it that some of AKR's books are like perfection to me, while others merely meander along pleasantly but without any pizazz :-( I think the concept of "Yes Day!" is great--a day when the kid gets the answer of "Yes" to all his desires (wouldn't we all love one of those!?) Some of the illustrations are cute, but the story is pretty predictable and nothing really special in the writing:

"Can I have ice cream?"
(we see him getting ice cream)
"Can I eat lunch outside?"
(we see him eating lunch by
Amy
Mar 14, 2013 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Hamster
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
I am so tempted to drop this onto my fantasy shelf, because as I read this to my nephew it was clear that this sort of day would absolutely be a child's fantasy! His eyes lit up, and he was grinning like a fool from cover to cover.

The end papers were clever, too; a calendar in which every day is some form of "no day," until the final day of the month when it's Yes Day. We read each of the "no day" notations on the calendar, and when we finished my niece said, "Man. That is one bad month."
Mary
I think every kid deserves a "yes" day at least once a year. Within reason, of course. I don't think I could say yes to "can I drive your car?". I might even give myself a yes day! Donuts for lunch? Yes! Two hour nap? Yes! Spend the day in my pajamas? Yes!
May 12, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kidlit, picture-books
Imagine a day when every answer is "yes" - a child's dream come true! The illustrations in this are fun, and the timing of showing the results after a page turn add drama. The boy asks mother, "Can I please [love the manners] have pizza for breakfast?" *page turn* to picture of boy eating pizza! Kids loved this one and we had fun sharing what we'd ask for if we had a "yes day". Many students asked for expensive items, but we could refer back to the story and see that the things the boy wanted we ...more
Nashiea Edmiston
I have read several of Rosenthal's books (Chopsticks, Spoon, Exclamation Mark...) as well as Lichtenheld's books (What Are You So Grumpy About?), and this was a combination of a lot of those books. The writing was a bit too simple and repetitive with the little boy asking whether he could do/eat certain things and his parents giving in. Each page is basically the boy asking such things as, "Can I have a piggyback ride?" or "Can I have pizza for breakfast?" and so forth. The following page is an ...more
Devan
May 02, 2015 Devan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary:
A young boy has his best day ever as his parents say yes to everything! He gets to have pizza for breakfast, style his hair crazy for pictures, does not have to clean his room, picks out whatever he wants at the grocery store, gets ice cream, eats lunch outside, has a food fight, makes up his own game, gets a piggy back ride, has his friend stay for dinner and gets to stay up really late.
Critique:
This story is something both children and parents could relate to. Both would have their di
Dolly
Aug 13, 2010 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2010
Our girls loved this book and to a certain extent, so did I. Children hear "no" all day every day, and for one day of their lives, it would be nice to hear "yes" all day long. They have already asked to have one of their very own and I will try to accommodate. I like Mary K's idea - perhaps I'll have take a "yes" day of my very own! The book has fun illustrations and we loved the endpapers.
Heather
Jul 28, 2011 Heather rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-childrens
My kids loved this book! One of our favorite parts is the selection of cereal he puts in the cart: "with one whole oat in each serving!" etc. Now my son wants a yes day -- which could be a dangerous thing! At the very least, we would have to specify a budget. . .

I really do hate having to say no so often as a mom. It would be a refreshing change to be able to say yes more often!
Lauren Brink
This book is about a little boy and everything he asks to do on this day the answer is “yes.” Different things he asks to do are eat pizza for dinner, get ice cream, make up his own game, have his friend over, postpone cleaning his room, use hair gel in his hair, have a food fight, and more. This was a short and sweet book. It is an easy read with limited words on each page. However, I think this book sends the wrong message to kids. I understand that kids do not take books as seriously as I do ...more
Esther
Nov 10, 2014 Esther rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Aurora loves this book. We actually had instituted a "yes day" in our family before we read this book. Aurora was in a stage where she said "no" to everything and was pretty resistant. Yes day change that for us. We took turns to request something from the others and the other had to say yes. The requests of course had to be reasonably feasible and although A was 3 1/2 on our first yes day she got the concept of "reasonably feasible" and we were able to say "yes" to all her requests. She loved i ...more
Amanda
As a parent, I think the best/funniest part of this book are the endpages which show a calendar of all the ways parents say "no". The story itself is simple about having one day a year when the answer is always yes. More precocious children may make this a dangerous read!
Jammie Mays
Oct 26, 2014 Jammie Mays rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes day! This is a very fun book, it makes me what to have my own yes day. When reading the book each spread is taken up by three-fourths of the photo of them doing the action for the previous question, while the other forth is left for the next question; or the page is broken in half and the action is on the top in the larger section and the next question is on the bottom of the page waiting to be asked and then revealed. The photos go across the gutter and make it easy for the reader to follow ...more
Nancy Jo Lambert
Aug 07, 2011 Nancy Jo Lambert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book and so did my son. However, the problem with this book, is that now my 4 year old thinks we need to have a YES day. Oh brother!

Really fun and highly entertaining.
Hamster
Great illustrations.
It's a very short, simple book, but I loved the concept.
It made me want to have a yes day with my kids. (I'll have to save up.)
Angela Hutchinson
This book is about a little boy and his favorite day of the year, "Yes Day." This would be a great book to read to kindergarten then have the students do a writing/drawing assignment on some things they would ask for if they could have a "yes day." I loved this book, but in reality I feel that it is a fantasy because children in today's society are being told "no" or "don't do that". It is a great concept, but would need some stipulations to actually practice the concept. I adore the illustratio ...more
Lisa the Librarian
I found this book to be delightful, fun and whimsical! It was a "must have" not only for the library, but for my personal collection as well.

Yes Day! was a featured title at our Scholastic Book Fair. Scholastic produces a DVD for each fair that showcases some of the books offered that particular fair. This particular book had a special segment featuring the author, Amy Krouse Rosenthal and the illustrator Tom Lictenheld discussing the importance of collaboration in the creative process.

This gave
Rosa Cline
Feb 05, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, birthday
The little boy in the book calls his birthday his 'yes day' simply because everything he asks to do or have he is allowed to do (but not in a spoiled way) he looks forward to 'tomorrow being yes day' and the story follows him throughout his special day. A very cute way of describing what a celebration of a birthday should be, without the party and gift giving just spending special time and making a person feel special.
Stacy
Nov 03, 2014 Stacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We instituted a yes day in our family because of this book and the kids really look forward to it. The talking about it and planning for it make the pleasure last for weeks. I often get comments like, "next year on yes day, I am asking for that." Their favorite is ice cream for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (but they easily agree to the healthy part first.)
Jackie
Dec 29, 2014 Jackie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books, wishes
What if...you had a day when every answer was YES! Amy Krouse Rosenthal has captured the joy of positive response in Yes Day!: a day when all (almost) things are possible. Pizza for breakfast? YES! Ice cream before dinner? YES! Stay up really late? YES!

This is one of my all time favorite picture books. Great for storytime (and discussion).
Hae Sun
Feb 27, 2014 Hae Sun rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ede-3601, writing
This was a cute book where all the answers are "YES!" Pizza for breakfast, messy rooms, and ICE CREAM!!!

I could use this book for a writing assignment. I would have students write to their parents and try to convince them that we should have a Yes Day too.
Jen
Feb 04, 2016 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yes to this book again and again! I laughed out loud for how eating lunch outside worked out. I delighted in the endpapers of this book. A book to literally incorporate into one's life - and a child's life.
Emily Bernd
This book is very cute and allows students to use their imagination. My kids at work this it's funny and fun for all elementary ages to imagine a day where yes was the answer to everything.
Rebecca
Jan 06, 2015 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute picture book but even better concept -- what a great gift to give to a kid (or yourself) -- a day when the answer to everything you may want to give yourself is "yes"!
Brooke Metten
Nov 03, 2015 Brooke Metten rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
NO matter how silly the answer is YES! This is a kids fantasy and their eyes will light up with all the possibilities and silliness of always saying yes!
Marcia
Mar 21, 2016 Marcia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super cute and upbeat. Every kid needs a "Yes Day"! This would be such a fun read aloud, the way the book is laid out, with a question and then the answer revealed in the illustrations.
Corinne
Oct 21, 2015 Corinne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, kids
a fun idea to have a day where the answer to everything you want to do is yes. unfortunately, this book focused on making perfect requests. also I couldn't tell if this was like a holiday or just a day when the character happened to get a yes for everything they asked for. cute illustrations.
Tiffany
Feb 21, 2015 Tiffany rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a cute book! What would you ask your parents to allow you to do if they had to answer "yes" to everything?
Vivian
Jun 20, 2011 Vivian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Valentine's Day is about getting your way, maybe.

Before beginning the story read at least one line on the book's end papers:
Monday: "Maybe tomorrow" Day
Tuesday: "NO" Day
Wednesday: "We'll see" Day
Thursday: "Not today" Day
Friday: "You gotta be kidding me" Day
Saturday: "NEVER" Day
Turn the page and point to the circled box on the wall calendar.

Put your hand up in the air.
Keep it there and turn your hand.
Make a fist.
Pull your arm down while saying,

Let's do that again. (Let the children do this ev
Heidi
Not my favorite work by the author, but it's cute with gentle humor. I like that the child doesn't ask for outrageous things so that it makes Yes Day a fun possibility. And it's nice that the parents go along with it. Though I do like the ending with the father. :-)

9/29/14-10/2/14: I had this as an option during the Morningside school visits that I did this week. I read it in a K class and it was well received (except the end where it ended). Of course, the kids picked up on the idea that everyt
Paula
A little boy gets everything he asks for on Yes Day, a special day that only comes once a year.
  • Put It On the List!
  • Sloppy Joe
  • I Wanna New Room
  • Magic Box
  • I Can Be Anything!
  • A Friend's Tale (Library Mouse #2)
  • Super Hair-o and the Barber of Doom
  • Here Comes the Big, Mean Dust Bunny!
  • A Pet for Petunia
  • Love, Splat
  • Lots of Dots
  • I Don't Want a Posh Dog
  • Mr. Duck Means Business
  • I'm Bored
  • Chicken Little
  • Imogene's Last Stand
  • What are You So Grumpy About?
  • Flora's Very Windy Day

SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal is.
She divides her time.

NOT SO SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal is a person who likes to make things.
Some things she likes to make include:

Children's books. (Little Pea, Spoon, DuckRabbit)
Grown-up books. (Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life)
Short films. (The Beckoning of Lovely, The Money Tree)
Guided journals. (The Belly Book)
Something out of nothing. (see above)

A longt
More about Amy Krouse Rosenthal...