Blank-133x176
Yes Day!

Amy Krouse Rosenthal

Yes Day!

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  483 ratings  ·  121 reviews
No matter how silly the requests, there is one day a year when kids always receive positive answers: Can I have pizza for breakfast? Yes Can we have a food fight? Yes Can I stay up really late? Yes This day is simply called Yes Day and it's the best day of the year.

Amy Krouse Rosenthal's simple text coupled with Tom Lichtenheld's delightful illustrations will send kids on...more
Published (first published May 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Yes Day!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yes Day!

Kathryn
Why is it that some of AKR's books are like perfection to me, while others merely meander along pleasantly but without any pizazz :-( I think the concept of "Yes Day!" is great--a day when the kid gets the answer of "Yes" to all his desires (wouldn't we all love one of those!?) Some of the illustrations are cute, but the story is pretty predictable and nothing really special in the writing:

"Can I have ice cream?"
(we see him getting ice cream)
"Can I eat lunch outside?"
(we see him eating lunch by...more
Amy
Mar 14, 2013 Amy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Amy by: Ryan
Shelves: childrens, reviewed
I am so tempted to drop this onto my fantasy shelf, because as I read this to my nephew it was clear that this sort of day would absolutely be a child's fantasy! His eyes lit up, and he was grinning like a fool from cover to cover.

The end papers were clever, too; a calendar in which every day is some form of "no day," until the final day of the month when it's Yes Day. We read each of the "no day" notations on the calendar, and when we finished my niece said, "Man. That is one bad month."
Mary
I think every kid deserves a "yes" day at least once a year. Within reason, of course. I don't think I could say yes to "can I drive your car?". I might even give myself a yes day! Donuts for lunch? Yes! Two hour nap? Yes! Spend the day in my pajamas? Yes!
Imagine a day when every answer is "yes" - a child's dream come true! The illustrations in this are fun, and the timing of showing the results after a page turn add drama. The boy asks mother, "Can I please [love the manners] have pizza for breakfast?" *page turn* to picture of boy eating pizza! Kids loved this one and we had fun sharing what we'd ask for if we had a "yes day". Many students asked for expensive items, but we could refer back to the story and see that the things the boy wanted we...more
Dolly
Aug 13, 2010 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: 2010, childrens
Our girls loved this book and to a certain extent, so did I. Children hear "no" all day every day, and for one day of their lives, it would be nice to hear "yes" all day long. They have already asked to have one of their very own and I will try to accommodate. I like Mary K's idea - perhaps I'll have take a "yes" day of my very own! The book has fun illustrations and we loved the endpapers.
Heather
My kids loved this book! One of our favorite parts is the selection of cereal he puts in the cart: "with one whole oat in each serving!" etc. Now my son wants a yes day -- which could be a dangerous thing! At the very least, we would have to specify a budget. . .

I really do hate having to say no so often as a mom. It would be a refreshing change to be able to say yes more often!
Amanda
As a parent, I think the best/funniest part of this book are the endpages which show a calendar of all the ways parents say "no". The story itself is simple about having one day a year when the answer is always yes. More precocious children may make this a dangerous read!
Nancy Jo Lambert
I really liked this book and so did my son. However, the problem with this book, is that now my 4 year old thinks we need to have a YES day. Oh brother!

Really fun and highly entertaining.
Ryan
Great illustrations.
It's a very short, simple book, but I loved the concept.
It made me want to have a yes day with my kids. (I'll have to save up.)
Lisa the Librarian
I found this book to be delightful, fun and whimsical! It was a "must have" not only for the library, but for my personal collection as well.

Yes Day! was a featured title at our Scholastic Book Fair. Scholastic produces a DVD for each fair that showcases some of the books offered that particular fair. This particular book had a special segment featuring the author, Amy Krouse Rosenthal and the illustrator Tom Lictenheld discussing the importance of collaboration in the creative process.

This gave...more
Hae Sun
This was a cute book where all the answers are "YES!" Pizza for breakfast, messy rooms, and ICE CREAM!!!

I could use this book for a writing assignment. I would have students write to their parents and try to convince them that we should have a Yes Day too.
Emily Bernd
This book is very cute and allows students to use their imagination. My kids at work this it's funny and fun for all elementary ages to imagine a day where yes was the answer to everything.
Vivian
Valentine's Day is about getting your way, maybe.

Before beginning the story read at least one line on the book's end papers:
Monday: "Maybe tomorrow" Day
Tuesday: "NO" Day
Wednesday: "We'll see" Day
Thursday: "Not today" Day
Friday: "You gotta be kidding me" Day
Saturday: "NEVER" Day
Turn the page and point to the circled box on the wall calendar.

Put your hand up in the air.
Keep it there and turn your hand.
Make a fist.
Pull your arm down while saying,

Let's do that again. (Let the children do this ev...more
Paula
A little boy gets everything he asks for on Yes Day, a special day that only comes once a year.
Kevin
That would be great to have a YES day once a year.
Shelli
What kid wouldn’t want a Yes Day!? A day when your every request is answered with a yes. Pizza for breakfast?? Why of course! Ice Cream BEFORE dinner? Absolutely! I’m sure having an annual fantast event like “Yes Day” would make any child take notice of the calendar. Will I mark a “yes day” on my calendar…. probably not. Putting it on the calendar for my daughter would be like taking the unbreakable vow in the realm of Harry Potter, but I may surprise her with a “yes day” every once in a blue mo...more
Stacy268
Oct 23, 2008 Stacy268 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stacy268 by: preview
This book is TOO CUTE!

Imagine being a kid and having a Yes Day. Everything you ask is answered with Yes.

Our little boy wakes up and spies the red circle on the calendar and shouts, "Yes!"

Pizza for breakfast? Yes!
Hair gel pre-family picture? Yes!
Choose the groceries? Yes!

With illustrations that are filled with motion, readers will delight in this title that will have them thinking about what they would be asking on their Yes Day!
Mrs. Knott
Feb. 2012 Book Fair selection
Who doesn't want a day where the answer to every question is "yes"! Pizza for breakfast? Clean the room tomorrow? Food fight? Yes, yes, yes! Kids will like seeing the crazy requests he comes up with. My favorite? On the front and back inside cover are all of the ways to say "no" - "no way, jose day", "two thumbs down day", "not gonna happen day"!
What would you ask for on your "yes" day?
Erika Tortorice
I loved this concept picturebook. The illustrations shows a calendar with wording for what each day of the week means for a whole month. It happens to be yes day and the author goes on about what this entails. My daughter had actually had gotten this book from her school library and went on about how she was going to make-up different concepts for the days of the week. It had great illustrations to go along with the storyline.
Charlotte
My kids loved this book - even once they were conventionally too old for it. They are enamored with the idea of a Yes Day and beg us to grant them their own Yes Days. I have to say that I'm intrigued by but also a little scared of what they might come up with if I allow this to happen. It took me a while to realize that several of the books we read and enjoy are by this same author. She's on a roll.
Brandy Locchetta
This book begs the question "what would it be like if the answer to every question was YES?!". This would be great for using imaginary prompts to force prediction, imagination, etc. This would also be a great resource to begin the conversation about classroom rules and why it is important to say "no" sometimes and ask the question "what would happen if your teacher always said yes?".
Julee
Terrific read-aloud book for library or home reading. what kid wouldn't LOVE the opportunity to have a YES day? Once a year the boy in the story gets a YES day from his family. Yes, to ice cream! Yes, to food fights and staying up late! WARNING: after reading this to my library students, they went home and tried (some successfully) to convince their parents to give them a YES day!
Cecoiya Johnson
I read this book to a 1st grade class and they absolutely loved it. It was very interactive and fun for all of us. The students were eager to particpate and share their opinions about what they thought, which was really good. Although the book was simple, it started great conversation and the students were able to relate to the character effortlessly!
J-Lynn
A cute premise--one day out of the year, a cute litle red headed boy gets an entire day of yes answers. He takes advantage of this day by asking for pizza for breakfast, to pick whatever he wants at the grocery store, and have a family food fight, among other things. No matter what he asks, his parents say, "Yes!" A really fun day.
Astrid
Loved the concept and way it was developed. A neat version of the idea of yourself saying "yes" to all opportunities and things to do. I did that last summer and what a wonderful and magical summer it was. In this story the child gets to have the answer of "yes" to all his requests for a day - what neat things he got to do!
Jazmyne Henry
This book is everyone's biggest dream! And that is to have day where the answer is Yes no matter what the request is! This books is a fun and easy read the captures the attention of little children that are used to hearing, " No." After reading this book you can have children discuss what their biggest desires are.
Kelly
Z is a huge fan. Read this 3 times the first day borrowed from the library. Illustrations are just okay for me, but the concept is great. The endpapers were fantastic. I had to read them all out loud, and Z couldn't believe that one of the "days" was "No way, Jose", since Daddy tells her that a lot.
Angela Moorer
Everybody (especially kids) live for the day when they dont have to hear the word "no". In this book, the author shows the excitement that follows every question on a yes day! Kids love this book and probably will even try to ask some of the same questions. This is a fun read aloud all kids can enjoy.
Ashley
A fun idea about a kid who doesn't have to hear NO all day for a whole day. He gets to do whatever he wants because the answer is always YES! He gets to wear his hair the way he wants, eat ice cream, and have his friend over for dinner among other things. This is just a fun book to read to a class.
Luana
At first, I thought I wouldn't be able to teach ANYTHING from this book, but then I realized that this book is full of questions! I'd use this book to show students how to use question marks. A question always ends question mark and I could show that through the use of this book.
  • Sloppy Joe
  • Put It On the List!
  • Big Snow
  • Magic Box
  • Mr. Duck Means Business
  • A Friend's Tale (Library Mouse #2)
  • The Chicken Problem
  • Good News, Bad News
  • Jump!
  • Super Hair-o and the Barber of Doom
  • Who Ate All the Cookie Dough?
  • Scaredy Squirrel at Night
  • Lots of Dots
  • A Pet for Petunia
  • I Don't Want a Posh Dog
  • Not Your Typical Dragon
  • Too Many Toys
  • The Super Hungry Dinosaur
Amy Krouse Rosenthal is. She divides her time.
More about Amy Krouse Rosenthal...
Duck! Rabbit! Little Pea Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life Exclamation Mark Little Hoot