Start by marking “The People's Almanac” as Want to Read:
The People's Almanac

The People's Almanac

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  213 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The People's Almanac...the first reference book ever prepared to be read for pleasure...one million words...25,000 major entries...952 special articles. It probes behind the facts to offer inside information as well as constant entertainment.
Paperback, 1st Edition edition, 1481 pages
Published November 1st 1975 by Doubleday (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about The People's Almanac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The People's Almanac

Julie
I read this book over and over as a child. Especially the sections on murder and strange deaths. Fascinating! I still can't get myself to get rid of it. Love it!
Andy
A perfect a snapshot of the remains of the American counterculture in the mid-1970s. The Almanac was compiled to be a one-stop source for the informed, progressive citizen's informational needs, and in that spirit covers basic facts about world history and geography. But reflecting the expansive, slightly paranoid tenor of the post-Nixon era, it's also full of psychic predictions, conspiracy theories, alternative history, analyses of contemporary events, book excerpts, lists of mail-order resour ...more
Donald
Oct 15, 2007 Donald rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Everyone
There is something for almost everyone in "The People's Almanac." Along with their popular "Book Of Lists" series, Irving Wallace and his son David Wallechinsky produced some very readable pop culture books in the 1970s-1980s. They aren't great literature and some of the material is already dated, but their books are less dry and far more interesting than any conventional almanac. I think most readers would like the "The People's Almanac" and the other works by the same authors.
Snowfire
It's very 70's, but it's got a ton of weird eclectic information and self-contradiction information and viewpoints chaotically thrown together. Provides light reading material for ages. Especially funny is the Psychic prediction's section, made in the 70's. Apparently, the interplanetary conference in Vegas in 1982 or whatever must have been canceled. Definitely recommended.
RJ
Interesting book back in the 1970's, but as I got older I saw this as far too political. As in left wing political. Kind of a post-Watergate victory lap for this bunch. Interesting chapters and well laid out but the indoctrination gets to be a bit much.
S.
whoopdee do! i remember loving this as a kid. It wasn't the pretty coffee table book in the living room, rather the meaty coffee table book in the den. good for reading during tv commercials...
Tori
I read this book over and over as a child. I spent a lot of time reading through it and loved every second.
Reading this as a teen started me on the path to reference librarianship. Best reference book ever!
Relax
goos reference read
Gina Petrovitch Pickett
Gina Petrovitch Pickett marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Theodora
Theodora marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2015
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Joan Juan
Joan Juan marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2015
Chris Craddock
Chris Craddock marked it as to-read
May 09, 2015
Emily Meeks
Emily Meeks marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2015
Candy
Candy marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Suzi
Suzi marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
  • The Simpsons Forever!: A Complete Guide to Our Favorite Family...Continued
  • My Soul Is Rested: Movement Days in the Deep South Remembered
  • The Dictionary of Cultural Literacy
  • World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade Official Strategy Guide
  • Weird Washington: Your Travel Guide to Washington's Local Legends and Best Kept Secrets
The People's Almanac Presents the Book of Lists The New Book of Lists: The Original Compendium of Curious Information The People's Almanac #3 The People's Almanac #2 The Book of Lists 2