The Tavern Knight

The Tavern Knight

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  130 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Websters paperbacks take advantage of the fact that classics are frequently assigned readings in English courses. By using a running English-to-French thesaurus at the bottom of each page, this edition of The Tavern Knight by Rafael Sabatini was edited for three audiences. The first includes French-speaking students enrolled in an English Language Program (ELP), an English...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1904)

Donna
The Tavern Knight is Crispin Galliard, a soldier with a rough reputation who finally gets a long-awaited shot at vengeance after helping Charles II escape the forces of Oliver Cromwell.

People new to Sabatini should start with Captain Blood or maybe Mistress Wilding. This is one of his earliest books, and while I enjoyed it, it's not up to the other things I've read by him so far.

The start is jumpy, the characters aren't very likable, and you can see the plot twists coming. The ending is mean and...more
Jeff Miller
In many ways a typical Rafael Sabatini novel. The lovable rogue done wrong who prevails. This is not the epic like his "The Sea-Hawk" or "Captain Blood", in fact the action is all on shore for a change. There is much I liked about this novel in the tension of the plot for a man bent on revenge and the circumstances that place him in position for that revenge. There are also some Dicken's style coincidences involved. I was quite enjoying the novel till the end which was disappointing and surprisi...more
Pandora
The best way to describe this story it has similarity to St. Martin's Summer but, is closer in tone to Captain Blood and The Sea-Hawk. I preferred the lightness of St. Martin's Summer. There is also the added factor that as dim as the hero is in St. Martin's Summer he does catch on faster than the Tavern Knight so there is more romance in St. Marin's.

On finishing Belliarion I realized there was another weakness in The Tavern Knight that made it less enjoyable than some of Sabtini's other books....more
John Beach
I've come to expect better of Sabatini, but this early work of his had it's moments. I was slow getting into it, and also I found the plot fairly predictable, some situations rather convenient. Still… not everything resolved quite as I expected nor took as long to resolve, and it had exciting moments. I found the main character, the Tavern Knight, interesting, and he carries the story well. No one else is very likable, except for Harry Hogan, and so the whole of this is saved by being a good "bu...more
Melinda Le Baron
This is classic Sabatini. The English is full of beautifully turned phrases and images. Set in England during the time of Cromwell, the book follows a manly knight named Crispn Galliard on his mission of vengeance against those who stole his life and innocence. The book includes evil plots, lost heirs, mistaken identities, romance along with war and curling. A thumping good read by all standards. I highly recommend it to those of you who like historical fiction, or a romping good tale.
Skoora
It was a very different formula from the other Sabatini works that I've been devouring lately. The great moments of revelation seemed somewhat understated in comparison to such works as Scaramouche. However I did find it highly amusing in some places, even hilarious. I sympathized with the main character for most of the story, and yet in the end I didn't feel the amazing sense of gratification that I had hoped for. Not a bad read, but not my favorite of Sabatini's stories.
Ellen
He painted a wholly unfavorable picture of the Covenanters as being falsely-pious, self-righteous weaklings, and of Cromwell's soldiery as being either Psalm-droning bores, or pretenders who were part of the Parliamentarian forces for strictly pragmatic reasons (and were presented as being far better than the genuine Puritans). Didn't like any of the characters, and the story resolved in an very unsatisfactory manner. Not one of Sabatini's best.
Remus
Not as bad as the reviews made it out to be!
A quick read that is actually a lot of fun and tht ending is hilarious although I'm not sure if it was meant to be. The beginning is quite exciting while the last half is humorous in its insanity.
This is the second novel Sabatini wrote and has the flavour of the short stories he did before writing novels.
Kayla
My least favorite of all Sabatini books. I enjoy his writing a lot when I am looking for fluff to fill my time, so my complaint is not so much that it is fluff. The way that it ended was almost disturbing however, and very disappointing. It is abrupt, off camera, and when you think about it, pretty messed up.
Slightly
not the best.
the tavern knight is one of those schmaltzy yarns that are only pleasing because they are so cliche that the reader feels smart for guessing all the plot twists before the first chapter if finished.

though ridiculously formulaic it's still entertaining.... like a soap opera or a reality tv show.
Esther
I prefer the sea-faring novels. This was fine to while away a September day, however. I enjoyed the sword fights but the characters were rather limp for any real swashbuckling. This has not dampened my enthusiasm for the wonderful Raphael Sabatini, oh no! I have seen what the man can do!
Stephen Kibler
I very much enjoyed the book, but what was that ending? Did Sabatini have an important luncheon to attend? Was he distracted by something in the room while he was writing? The grand finale's duel was ... um, related by an interested third party.
Christin
Good light sabatini-not his best but engaging and, in my opinion, a surprising ending compared to his typical conclusions. Short, fast, enjoyable.
Marc Douglas
another winner by Sabatini
Diana Thayer
Diana Thayer marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Mona D
Mona D marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Dyrila007
Dyrila007 marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Dallin Perry
Dallin Perry marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2014
Kokila Gupta
Kokila Gupta marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Andrea
Andrea is currently reading it
Mar 10, 2014
Johanna Haas
Johanna Haas marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Natalia
Natalia marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Rafael Sabatini (1875 - 1950) was an Italian/British writer of novels of romance and adventure. At a young age, Rafael was exposed to many languages. By the time he was seventeen, he was the master of five languages. He quickly added a sixth language - English - to his linguistic collection. After a brief stint in the business world, Sabatini went to work as a writer. He wrote short stories in the...more
More about Rafael Sabatini...
Captain Blood Scaramouche The Sea-Hawk Captain Blood Returns The Fortunes of Captain Blood

“I am not one of your repentant sinners, Kenneth. I have lived my life—God, what a life!—and as I have lived I shall die, unflinching and unchanged. Dare one to presume that a few hours spent in whining prayers shall atone for years of reckless dissoluteness? 'Tis a doctrine of cravens, who, having lacked in life the strength to live as conscience bade them, lack in death the courage to stand by that life's deeds. I am no such traitor to myself.” 1 likes