Start by marking “Grass Roof, Tin Roof: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Grass Roof, Tin Roof: A Novel

Grass Roof, Tin Roof: A Novel

3.37 of 5 stars 3.37  ·  rating details  ·  65 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In this stunning novel about a Vietnamese family resettling in the isolation of California gold country, Dao Strom investigates the myth of westward progress and the consequences of cultural displacement.

Told from multiple perspectives and interwoven with the intimate reflections of a middle child, Grass Roof, Tin Roof begins with the story of Tran, a Vietnamese writer fac
Published January 7th 2003 by Mariner Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Grass Roof, Tin Roof, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grass Roof, Tin Roof

Mari
Jan 09, 2009 Mari rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Mari by: Don
"Concerning love, she told herself she was practicing the Buddhist paradox of "living simultaneously": immersion and non-attachment together."

I was ready to give up on this book halfway through simply because the plot shifted (intentionally) off of the main character (the main character in the beginning at least.) The first part of the book, set in Saigon, is riveting - especially to a female writer. I was wrapped up in her story - that when the plot shifted to another character, her Danish husb
Powells.com
This novel follows Tran, a Vietnamese woman, from her days of working for a politically charged newspaper in Saigon in the '70s to her family life in California and on into her children's lives. A precise story about the nature of belonging. I loved it.

Recommended by Aubrey, Powells.com

Have you read this book? Add your own review to our website and enter for the chance to win a $20 gift certificate.
Sandy
This is an interesting personal history of a Cambodian (?) girl being raised in the States after a tough childhood in S.E. Asia..... but it wasn't very well written and ultimately I lost interest in it..... I see now from the 'find books by title or author' list that she has written several others, among them 'The Gentle Order of ' I like the title so perhaps I'll read that, or give this one a second chance.
Jenn
This novel is the story of a refugee family that relocates to California after the Vietnam war. Like several of the other reviewers here, I was much more engaged in the novel during the first and last chapters that take place in Vietnam. The middle portion of the book is set in Sacramento and just wasn't as intriguing to me. I've been to Sacramento, maybe that is why. All together I enjoyed it though.
Frances
Story of a Vietnamese woman who emigrates to the US, marries a Scandinavian immigrant, and raises her family in Gold Country CA. Each chapter is a story from the perspective of a family member.
Jobiska (Cindy)
SPOILER IN REVIEW

Weirdly episodic and scattered, and I don't know what the author was tring to convey/get me to feel. The most compelling character (to me) was the mother, who dies less than half way through.
Evan White
Started and finished: Thailand, 2004
Jul 25, 2011 Sarah added it
I found this book a bit odd in its structure but quite compelling. I enjoyed the vignettes that provided an insight into the immigrant experiences (differing by generation, country of origin, and personality).
Ruby
Apr 16, 2013 Ruby marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Colin
Colin marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2014
Karla
Karla marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Diana
Diana added it
Jul 06, 2014
Reileen
Reileen marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Anna Le
Anna Le marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
sasha
sasha marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2014
Jennifer Nakayama
Jennifer Nakayama marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2014
Buried In Print
Buried In Print marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2014
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 08, 2014
Tammy
Tammy added it
Feb 05, 2014
Catgirl (in Perth)
Catgirl (in Perth) marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2014
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2013
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Dao Strom was born in Saigon, Vietnam and grew up in the Sierra Nevada foothills of northern California.

She is a writer of both books and songs.

Her books include a novel, Grass Roof, Tin Roof (2003) and a collection of novella-length stories, The Gentle Order of Girls and Boys (2006). She is a graduate of the Iowa Writers Workshop and has received grants and awards from the National Endowment for
More about Dao Strom...
The Gentle Order of Girls and Boys: Stories Grass Roof, Tin Roof Charlie Chan Is Dead 2: At Home in the World (An Anthology of Contemporary Asian American Fiction--Revised and Updated)