Start by marking “From Dead to Worse ” as Want to Read:
From Dead to Worse

From Dead to Worse (Sookie Stackhouse #8)

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  137,898 ratings  ·  3,084 reviews
Betrayed by her longtime vampire love and with a new man - a shapeshifter - in her life, Sookie's got quite enough to deal with without having to contend with the latest supernatural surprise.
Unknown Binding, 9 pages
Published February 1st 2010 by Orion (first published January 1st 2008)

Michelle
Celia Powell
This book could have been subtitled "How to Wind About Four Different Tiny Storylines into One Relatively Small Book and Maintain a Ridiculous Level of Detail So That Readers Can Calculate Exactly How Much Coffee My Heroine Drinks Each Day". Yes, it would have made marketing the book a bit difficult, but might have given readers a better idea of what to expect.

Sookie encounters a war in the were community, then a war between the vampires, then she breaks off her relationship, then she discovers
Julie (jjmachshev)
OH, OH, OH. Sookie, Sookie, Sookie. This gal just cannot catch a break! In this book, we learn a little more about where Sookie's 'gift' comes from. She finally sees Quinn again. Eric has a couple of surprises for her, and gets a big one himself. There's death, mayhem, and magic all around...and Sookie has to figure out if she can learn to accept her life in this new world of danger, insecurity, and maybe....love?

If you've been following Sookie's story. GO...RIGHT NOW! Stop reading and go get th
Amanda
I want to give this one a four-star because it's C.Harris and she's amazing. Her voice is utterly unique and delightful and I love her characters. What's more, her world is very real, her vampires are interesting, and I love that she's taken all of her carefully laid-out plots and sent them topsy-turvy in the wake of Katrina. Very little has driven home the tragedy of Katrina as well as CH's last few books.

But this was clearly not a whole novel -- it was more like a handful of short story ideas
Jamie
The book was entertaining, but something is beginning to bother me about the writing as I continue with this series, although I can't quite put my finger on it.

Maybe it's that Sookie's inner voice is starting to sound like that of Harper Connelly, the protagonist of Harris' other paranormal series, and that's not a good thing. Like Harper, Sookie seems detached, reacting to events without really feeling anything. The shallow writing style also makes it seem as if Sookie isn't very bright. (Her S
Beth F.
I liked this book so much better than the one before it and I’ve been trying to figure out why but am coming up empty-handed.

Without going overboard, this is basically what happens (mild spoilers only):
--Sookie meets some new relatives
--Quinn and his warm penis go missing
--the Debbie Pelt issue will.not.DIE!
--there’s a Were war
--a bunch of Weres die
--Amelia’s dad shows up and says some stuff
--Amelia’s mentor shows up and says some stuff
--Amelia engages in some girl-on-girl action with Pam
--ther
Angie
From Dead to Worse is the eighth Sookie Stackhouse book and, after reading it, definitely a comfort Sookie for me. Meaning, of the eight books so far, this is one I'll go back and reread when I want to feel good about things again. Right up there with numbers four and five-- Dead to the World and Dead as a Doornail. And, yes, I realize that my favorite Sookie books are also the ones with a high Eric factor. That's just the way it is. Fortunately, Ms. Harris seems to be channeling the good Eric ...more
Valerie
From Dead to Worse is the eighth book in Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse series. After not liking the last installment overmuch (All Together Dead), I thought FDTW was a nice return to Sookie's roots and the foundation that made the series so good in the first place - Sookie being herself back home in Bon Temps, Louisiana.

This book seemed like somewhat of a transition. After the huge events of the last book and the vampire summit, this book seemed to take a breath and recover a bit.

The cast
Richard Reviles Censorship Always in All Ways
Rating: 3.75* of five

The Publisher Says: After the natural disaster of Hurricane Katrina and the manmade explosion at the vampire summit, everyone human and otherwise is stressed, including Louisiana cocktail waitress Sookie Stackhouse, who is trying to cope with the fact that her boyfriend Quinn has gone missing.

It's clear that things are changing whether the weres and vamps of her corner of Louisiana like it or not. And Sookie, Friend to the Pack and blood-bonded to Eric Northman, leader of th
Geraldine O'Hagan
Wealhtheow
This is the eighth book about Sookie Stackhouse, psychic barmaid, and it shows. There is a lot of history and a whole mess of background characters and ex-love interests clogging up the works. But the premise that made these books so popular holds true. Sookie remains a good, though far from perfect, person, and I enjoy reading her adventures from her kind-hearted but slightly catty point of view. Although Sookie's mind-reading gives her an edge in many situations, she's wildly underpowered comp ...more
Rachel
Gemma
The latest in the 'Sookie Stackhouse' series, this book ties up a number of loose ends from the previous novels, and charges ahead from the first page.

I need to re-read it before I really form a strong opinion on this one. I absolutely enjoyed it, and it earns a 5/5 rating for sheer fun and fast paced plot, but the author made some decisions that I found personally disappointing, and I felt less involved in this book than I have been with the previous novels. That said, I did read it in one day
Seth
NOTE: I didn't mark this review as containing spoilers, but it does discuss general plot direction. It reveals the general tone of the last half of the book. Spoiler purists may want to hold off. Most people will be fine.

A fine addition to the Sookie Stackhouse books, Dead to Worse sees Sookie dealing with the continuing aftermath of the debacle in New Orleans. Her boyfriend is still missing, the witch she picked up as a roommate is still complicating her life, her real grandfather wants to talk
Maggie
Oh, Sookie! What's not to love. I was ecstatic when this came in the mail yesterday. I had almost forgotten that I had bought it!

I love that all the Sookie Stackhouse novels are like several stories within one novel. I know some people may feel like it makes the books seem like short stories, but I know, when one mystery get's all wrapped up in it's little complete package, and I have a coupla hundred pages left, I'm a happy girl!

Sookie is still recovering from the vampire summit and looking for
I managed to make this book last the whole weekend, instead of staying up all night Friday with it.

This was a great installment. One of the things I love about Sookie is how real she is as a person. She can be selfish, she can make wrong decisions and feel bad for them later. She's a human being. (Well, mostly.)

Some questions were resolved in this book, and I wonder if Harris is starting to wrap up the series. I find myself hoping that's not the case, because I love spending time in Bon Temps.

Ha
Jim
Longer than the last couple of books, better in some ways, it had multiple story lines. Sookie generally has one major issue to work through, this time she had half a dozen or so & it made the book feel a bit unfocused. Not bad & I'm glad I read it. It's fun, fluffy candy reading - very relaxing & enjoyable. It should certainly be read in order with the rest of the series.
Angela
From Dead to Worse, the eighth book in the Sookie Stackhouse series, is an oddly transitory kind of book. A lot of plotlines from previous books--clear back to Book Four--get resolution of a kind, and groundwork is laid down for what will clearly be future plotlines for the series. We've got a New and Mysterious Relation of Sookie's showing up. We've got resolution on at least two Love Interest plots, and advancement on one other, possibly two. We've got new evidence that Sookie's brother is a m ...more
Santi
[Quoted from this book:]

My heart sank into my bare feet.

“The wards will hold,” Amelia was saying to herself in a rapid whisper. “The wards will hold; the wards will hold.” Bill was gazing at me with his dark eyes, thoughts flickering across his face in rapid succession. Frannie was looking vague and detached, but her eyes were fixed on the door. She’d heard the sound, too.

“Quinn’s out there with them,” I whispered to Amelia, since she was the only one in the room who hadn’t figured that out.

Ame
Jim
Again Parker does a great read of another fun look at Harris' world.

Maybe it's a guy thing, but Sookie really ticked me off. (view spoiler) Still, I have to admire her for the way she keeps her cool & works through the horrors.

On to the next, book
Jillian
Oh Sookie. I finally figured out why I keep reading about you. I feel like (8 books into this) I know you so well. You are like an old friend that I can just pick up with at any point. And even though there are many things about your series that drive me crazy (the poor editing in places, the inconsistencies, the oftentimes author manipulated plotline, etc.), I can't help but root for you.

Anyway, I will continue to read about you but I'm not going to lie--I really hope your series ends one day
Nymphsin
Jan 17, 2009 Nymphsin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sookie and vampire fans...
Recommended to Nymphsin by: Hunter's Haven Forum
Marlo
Well, so far this one's better than the last one. I'm about halfway through at present. I love Pam/Amelia, Octavia, the abundance of Eric, and the fact that Quinn's missing. And although I didn't like the introduction of fey characters into the series, they're improving slightly from their origin at the outset. I am so, so tired of the weres -- I wish I could skip all the were scenes without missing important plot points (harder to do when you're listening on audiobook like I am). I'm hoping the ...more
Rhiannon Frater
I delayed reading this book for a long time because I really disliked the last entry in the series, Altogether Dead. It almost killed the series for me for several reasons, but primarily because of Quinn and Sookie not being in her element anymore.

What I originally liked about Sookie was that despite her ablities, at heart she was a hometown girl with a low paying job and bills to pay. Her life wasn't perfect and it wasn't always easy for her to fit in with her friends and family, but she was a
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Sookie Stackhouse was hoping for a little peace and healing in the wake of the deadly vampire summit she barely survived. But when she's not dealing with vampire drama, she's getting pulled into problems of the were community.

As our book begins, Sookie hasn't heard from her boyfriend Quinn in weeks. And she's been avoiding Eric and the blood-bond that is now between them. With an unexpected call from Alcide, she finds out that were-women are being killed... his girlfriend, Maria-Star among them.
Brooke
I won't really describe the happenings in this book, because it felt like mostly filler. It was like Charlaine was just preparing us for upcoming books. I enjoyed this only because I love all of the characters, I love the town, and Sookie is a great lead. There were some problems resolved and new problems brought to the surface. These have obviously opened new doors for future books. Lets see, Alcide is finally head of the Were's. Sookie and Quinn solved their relationship dilemma. Sookie is int ...more
So, I Read This Book Today
Every were and vampire Sookie gets around winds up getting her beaten, shot, staked, raped, and generally treated like hell. Alsead was a self centered ass, Quinn was a self centered ass (well, centered on his whack mom and can't find five minutes to call for WEEKS after Rhodes? And then hides in the woods watching while Sookie is put in a situation where he HAS to know that she is set up _in her own home_ to be slaughtered?????) Bill feels terribly guilty for his horrible betrayal of Sookie, an ...more
Linny
Review on Linny's Literature

Like the book before it, From Dead to Worse is completely packed with action and and plot twists from start to finish. Unlike All Together Dead, however, this book's action just didn't grab my attention and make me excited to find out what happened next at the end of each chapter. I'm not really sure why. Prehaps because the central storyline focuses on Quinn, who I've never really liked, and the werewolf pack, which doesn't have anything to do with Sookie's life and
Esma
Vaov! En iyi Sookie Kitapları listemde 2'ye girdi bu kitap. Gerçi bazı yerlerde tabiri caizse "dibim düştü." Suratımda aptal bir gülümsemeyle de kitabı bitirdim :D

*Spoiler*

Katrina'dan ve Giza Piramidinde yaşananlardan sonra Sook'un yaşamı hiç de normale dönmüyor. Tam Andre'den kurtuldu rahatlar derken türlü türlü bela açıldı Sookie'nin başına.

Sookie, Eric vasıtasıyla büyük büyükbabasıyla tanışıyor. Adam bir peri ve meşru büyük büyükbabası değil. Ayrıca Sookie büyük annesine bunu hiç yakıştıramıy
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
The aftermath of hurricane Katrina are dark days for Sookie and her friends. Members of the Shreveport Were pack are being murdered and everything is building up to wolf against wolf unless Sookie can get them to actually talk to each other. With the vampire Queen of Louisiana weak and vulnerable, the state is ripe for a bloody takeover by another ruling vampire monarch - Navada. Her boyfriend Quinn, the weretiger, is missing, and her ex, Bill, isn't giving up. And Sookie meets an unusual relati ...more
What do you think? 13 131 Jul 14, 2014 11:01AM
help 3 74 Jan 30, 2014 05:52PM
Goodreads Librari...: Edition of this book number wrong 3 149 May 17, 2012 02:49PM
  • The Lunatic Cafe (Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter #4)
  • Undead and Uneasy (Undead, #6)
  • One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress #6)
  • Pale Demon (The Hollows, #9)
  • Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2)
  • Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires, #5)
  • Kissing Sin (Riley Jenson Guardian #2)
  • Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand (Kitty Norville #5)
Charlaine Harris has been a published novelist for over twenty-five years. A native of the Mississippi Delta, she grew up in the middle of a cotton field. Now she lives in southern Arkansas with her husband, her three children, three dogs, and a duck. The duck stays outside.

Though her early output consisted largely of ghost stories, by the time she hit college (Rhodes, in Memphis) Charlaine was wr
More about Charlaine Harris...
Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse, #2) Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) Dead as a Doornail (Sookie Stackhouse, #5)

“I trudged back to my bedroom and pushed the door open, intending to wash my face or brush my teeth or make some stab at smoothing my hair, because I thought it might make me feel a little less trampled.
Eric was sitting on my bed, his face buried in his hands. He looked up at me as I entered, and he looked shocked. Well, no wonder, what with the very thorough takeover and traumatic changing of the guard.
Sitting here on your bed, smelling your scent,” he said in a voice so low I had to strain to hear it.
Sookie . . . I remember everything.”
Oh, hell,” I said, and went in the bathroom and shut the door. I brushed my hair and my teeth and scrubbed my face, but I had to come out. I was being as cowardly as Quinn if I didn’t face the vampire.
Eric started talking the minute I emerged. “I can’t believe I—”
Yeah, yeah, I know, loved a mere human, made all those promises, was as sweet as pie and wanted to stay with me forever,” I muttered. Surely there was a shortcut we could take through this scene.
I can’t believe I felt something so strongly and was so happy for the first time in hundreds of years,” Eric said with some dignity. “Give me some credit for that, too.”
157 likes
“I want to be first. I know that’s selfish, and maybe unattainable, and maybe shallow. But I just want to come first with someone. If that’s wrong of me, so be it. I’ll be wrong. But that’s the way I feel.” (Sookie Stackhouse)” 104 likes