Start by marking “Into the Night” as Want to Read:
Into the Night

Into the Night (Troubleshooters #5)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  5,222 ratings  ·  203 reviews
Beloved and bestselling author Suzanne Brockmann writes terrific edge-of-your-seat novels of romantic suspense set in the world’s exciting danger zones and exotic hotspots. Now, in her new sensational novel, she comes stateside for her most action-packed adventure yet.

It was supposed to be a “dog and pony show”—an elaborate demonstration of SEAL rescue techniques—to cele

Published March 1st 2003 by Thorndike Press (first published November 26th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Into the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Into the Night

Shawna
4 stars – Romantic Suspense

I thought Into the Night was supposed to be Mike and Joan's story? How did it end up being Mary Lou's Pity Party Diary? I recognize and can appreciate Brockmann’s attempt to make her character more than a one dimensional white trash bimbo for us Sam and Alyssa fans, but I still didn’t feel much (if any) sympathy for her. And there was definitely waaay too much of Mary Lou’s whining and self-loathing and not nearly enough of Mike and Joan’s romance. Also, the suspense e
Rossy
Feb 04, 2010 Rossy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Rossy by: series continuation
I was lucky some of my friends here had already warned me about this book. This story would have been great if some of the female characters were not the, I-want-to-slap-her kind. Also, i can deal with an insecure heroine but there's a limit after it's just annoying.

While i understood the reason for having Mari Lu's(dont care to correct spelling) point of view, it just made me dislike her all the more to be on her head. Part of it, is that Sam and Alyssa have been killing me with their Romeo and
Bark's Book Nonsense
Into The Night is Suzanne Brockman’s latest entry in her on(and on and on)going SEALS saga. In this story yet another of her larger than life heroes falls prey to true love while battling a terrorist cell or two along the way. While I’ve been following this series since its beginning I do believe I may be done waiting with breathless anticipation for the next installment which promises to wrap up character Sam Starret’s love story. More on that later.

This time around Lieutenant Mike Muldoon find
Lady Allison
Five books into Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooters series & it's goin' strong! I feel like I'm learning a lot about the military from these books (I feel safe doing so, since I know most of it's true & she did her homework) - & the adrenaline rushes from the storylines are fantastic.

The main couple in this book was Joan & Michael Muldoon. It was a lot like the Stan & Teri's book in that Joan, like Stan, had ageism issues with Michael. She took a long time to let him in, but
jenjn79
Jenifer Mohammed
I definitely enjoyed this story as it had so many unexpected twists and turns. I was surprised by how much I grew to like and respect Mary Lou. Mike and Joan's relationship was interesting but the tension with the age difference of 6 years seemed forced and hard to believe as an issue that would stop them from being together. Overall, a good story.
¸. • * ° *❧Gwen❧ •°**★
4 Star Enlightening Read~I read a review of this book earlier they called this book a pity party...guess what they were right...

The Book~

This book has stepping stones that lead to the next book~

I found the writting is solid, the plot was pretty good, with sweet bits of action in the end~I loved it!

But...the MCs...well,

Joan's and Mike ~Their love story~ Micheal was A-Freak'in-Dorable! BUT, Joan..MEH

Sam's and Mary Lou~ Man oh man this book was a pity party thrown by Mary Lou herself we get alot
Wendy F
I was very disappointed in this book. It started off strong and just kind of lost it's charm midway. The ending was the most frustrating.

Won't stop me from reading further, just this was my least favorite so far.
Lisa - (Aussie Girl)
After the thrill a minute Out of Control (Book 4) Into the Night has quite a different feel to it as the action slowly builds to a gripping conclusion. Again we have the three storylines intertwined, the past and present stories of two generations and the slow and painful disintegration of the marriage of two unsuited people in Sam and Mary Lou which directly impacts on the suspense plotline which kept me guessing right to the poignant end.

This is quite simply an outstanding series with storyte
Shabby Girl ~ aka Lady Victoria
Oh, man, this book SHIT me. I ended up DNF about a third of the way through. I just finished a reread of Out of Control and think it's one of the best books I've read. LOVED it, but this one is a severe let down after reading that. A severe let down period.

I had read reviews that this book was a bit “difficult” and, yes, too right. The heroine was beyond annoying constantly going on about the hero being soooo young. For God’s sake, he was 25 and she was 32, and she acted like she was a grandmoth
Jacqueline
Another one of my favorites. I know it seems like I always say that.
I like how clueless Mike Muldoon is about women since he is so handsome that he never has to work at it. He is however very good at being a SEAL. Joan Da Costa is a pretty good character but the way that their age difference bothers her, bothers me. There just isn't that great a difference in their ages and I know from my own personal situation,(hubby is 7 years younger) that this small age difference is virtually unnoticable on
Tara
When this book ended I had to check my ipod to see if it had randomly skipped to the end because it seemed to abrupt. There was a lot going on in this book and a lot seemed to be left unresolved. It was also very light on the action. And the characters were lacking. And everyone had a POV- Mike, Joan, Rose, Vince, Mary Lou, that guy Mary Lou meets, Sam... Not the best installment in the series.

The format of the books has seemingly always been 1 main romance, 1 WW2 flashback romance, and a second
Rinou
J'ai été déçue par Into the night. En fait j'ai trouvé que Joan était très désagréable avec Mike, elle le rabaisse continuellement sous prétexte qu'il a 7 ans de moins qu'elle. Elle le traite de gamin ou de gigolo. Pauvre Mike, il est vraiment un super héros, gentil, attentionné, il mérite une femme qui le respecte plus que ça.
J'ai aussi trouvé que le suspense était très léger, et l'action inexistante. Ok ça change des livres où c'est bim bam boum à chaque page, mais entre les 2 c'était possible
Sofia Grey
I'd forgotten how good this one was, until I re-read it. I also forgot just how much is going on, in the story arc!
Mike Muldoon - hero!! Loved his attitude, and how he totally wore his heart on his sleeve as he tried to win Joan Da Costa's heart. Loved that she was an older woman too, with extra conflict due to the age difference.

He's there, trying to romance her, against a backdrop of terrorists trying to assassinate the US President. We see first hand, how bad Sam & Mary-Lou's marriage rea
Kaylea Cross
This was my first Brockmann novel, and I fell instantly in love with the hero, Mike. Come on, what's not to love about him? He's so sweet and heroic...and boy does he have his work cut out for him with Joan :)

I don't mind the number of lengthy subplots as long as the main romance gets enough page time, and I thought Mike and Joan did. Plus I know she's sucking me in to the next book with the subplots, and that's never a bad thing to me.

Brockmann is a master when it comes to characterization, an
Mitzi
I liked this book but did not love it; however, I’m glad I didn’t skip it. The romance between the H/Mike and h/Joan was just OK but not heart stopping (older woman/younger man scenario) and the suspense wasn’t near as exciting as the past books in this series.....But, the background info into Sam’s life and the lead up to Sam/Alyssa’s reunion in next book is well worth the read. I'd like to give this book a 3.5...but I'll settle for a 4 because I really like this series. Into the Night (Troubleshooters, #5) by Suzanne Brockmann ...more
Katherine
This is my first book by this author but it won't be my last. I have two negatives:1) In the beginning there is a cast of characters that took my awhile to keep straight. Who was who and with whom, but eventually I figured it all out. 2) I really didn't like the heroine very much. The hero was top notch and he deserved someone as worthy. Joan was whiny and pretty much got on my nerves. But since there is so much going on in this book it did not detracked from my enjoying it. Perhaps now I will g ...more
Stephanie
I am on page 366, all I have to say is WHAT THE HECK???? Why can't Joan just go with her heart, enough of the "I'm to old, I'm too fat" it is getting old.

Okay so I finished this book last night and I have to admit that I had tears in my eyes when Joan's grandma told the reporter just what she should have told her husband 60 years ago. In my eyes that helpled Joan get over her TSTL views about not wanting to be with Mike. If I could give the book 4.5 stars I would. I ended up liking this book a l
Miriam
I found Joan and Muldoon kind of bland, but the plot was pretty interesting. You can really see Brockmann developing as an author here, as she moves into increasingly complex, long-term plots that comprise many narrative stands and sometimes take several books to resolve. She also does a great job taking a character like Mary-lou, was two-dimensional and unsympathetic when we saw her previously, and showing her as a real, flawed woman who is trying to grapple with the mistakes she has made.
Christine
I wanted to revisit Brockmann's "Troubleshooters" series, and found "Into the Night" at the library.

I thought initially that I would be reading a story about Mike Muldoon, a SEAL, and Joan DaCosta a PR rep from the White House. I was mistaken....I mostly read a story about Mike's fellow SEAL Sam and his disintegrating marriage to Mary Lou. Oh, and there was also another story about Joan's grandparents, which was really very sweet.

So..back to Mike and Joan. Mike...run, run far away from Joan, a b
D.C. Shaftoe
Definitely not my favourite in the Troubleshooters series. The characters seemed under-developed. I appreciated the attempt to have a character who was just a good guy but he didn't demonstrate the characteristics that I associate with that description. Mike seemed naive rather than clean-cut. Even the familiar characters seemed distant and uninteresting. I've definitely enjoyed Brockmann's other stories more than "Into the Night".
May
I've enjoyed Suzanne Brockmann's romances with Navy SEALS as heroes. They are wonderful mind candy reads where you know how the story will end (happily, of course, which I don't think is a spoiler), and it's just a question of how the hero and heroine get there.
"Into the Night" was not quite up to the author's usual standards. There was a bit too much angst by both the hero and heroine (over the age difference between them--the heroine is older, which I did like as atypical of romances, but the
Mareli
This one was not the best of the series, even if it was good. But, really, I found too many pages on Mary-Lou. I understand it was necessary in order to have a clear idea about her. What she did, WHY she did it and what are the consequences. But, still... too many pages.

And I have to say there was really too little action for me. Already onto next one!
Deb
This series is turning in a soap opera with multiple open ended storylines. So far every other book in the series has been light in the action department and since the last one was action packed this has all of the action regulated to the prefix and the climax. This is the first book that takes place post 9/11 and we get a fictional Enduring Freedom mission. Wisely the author opted to fictionalize the US president rather than wade into that polarizing mess. In contrast to previous books this one ...more
Chris
It was good. I'm not a fan of Joan. There was just something missing in her character. I'm not sure what. And, to be honest, Muldoon was pretty flat, too. The action was pretty peripheral to the love interest. The WWII love story was sweet. And, liked learning more about Mary Lou. I'm still super-interested in the Sam/Alyssa story line.
After rereading this, I remembered why I didn't remember anything about the book. The review who said "thank God for Mary Lou" was right. Mary Lou really saves this book. It was still enjoyable, because it's Suzanne Brockmann, but it just doesn't meet up with the standards I hold for her.
Cathy
I was disappointed in this one. The main characters were not focus of the book. It was Mike's story, but the main focus was Mary Lou and her AA meetings. The lack of action and an undeveloped historical story made for a novel way below the quality of the previous ones in the series.
Xfbc
I enjoyed this book very much. Mike Muldoon, who is calm & meticulous in his thought patterns, is both an officer and a gentleman. His love interest, Joan DaCosta, an older career woman with curves, was funny, smart & in particular, not looking to bed a kid. They both come with insecurities that are manageable and funny. Mike is just a polite sweetheart. You can't help but love the guy.

The love story between Mike and Joan was pretty good, but the true saving grace was the story of Joan's
Mic Tov
My least favorite Suzanne Brockmann book. To me there was too much going on and it dragged out the story for too long. Almost as if Charlie and Vince could have been a book all to themselves.

The characters were great just too much story to keep the plot moving.
Sylvia
Not her best book. Muldoon, really? We barely get a glimpse of him in any of the previous books. Joan wasn't that interesting a character and the plot lagged. In truth, I only read this for the Sam/Mary Lou/Alyssa angle.
  • In the Dark (SEAL Team 12, #2)
  • Under the Wire (The Bodyguards, #5)
  • Breakpoint (High Risk, #4)
  • Promises in the Dark (Shadow Force, #2)
  • Crazy Wild (Steele Street, #3)
Suzanne Brockmann was born in 1960. Married with Ed Gaffney, a lawyer and published writer. They have two grown children: Melanie, who is a personal trainer and author, and Jason, who is an actor and tap dancer. They divide their time between Boston, Massachusetts, Sarasota, Florida and New York City.

Published since 1993, Suzanne is widely recognized as one of the leading voices in suspense romanc
More about Suzanne Brockmann...

Troubleshooters (1 - 10 of 17 books)
  • The Unsung Hero (Troubleshooters, #1)
  • The Defiant Hero (Troubleshooters, #2)
  • Over the Edge (Troubleshooters, #3)
  • Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4)
  • Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6)
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
  • Hot Target (Troubleshooters, #8)
  • Breaking Point (Troubleshooters, #9)
  • Into the Storm (Troubleshooters, #10)
  • Force of Nature (Troubleshooters, #11)
The Unsung Hero (Troubleshooters, #1) Over the Edge (Troubleshooters, #3) Out of Control (Troubleshooters, #4) Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6) Breaking Point (Troubleshooters, #9)

“Tell me," he demanded. "Tell me when. I'm going to come with you."
. . .
"Tell me," he ordered.
"I'm . . . yes!" she said. "Yes!"
. . .
"Can you really do that/" she asked. "Come on command?"
--Mike Muldoon, Navy SEAL, to Joan DaCosta”
1 likes
“But one look at Wildcard's face, and he knew there was trouble.

Problem? he signaled.

Wildcard responded with an obscene gesture that more than conveyed his opinion that not only was this a problem, but it was a big problem.

...

"Okay". That was not anywhere near the complete reaming Muldoon imagined "We'll take a different route down."

"We could", Wildcard agreed. "But they've got a prisoner.."

Oh man, that hurt. Dream op to nightmare...Muldoon gritted his teeth and considered his options.

"Holy fuck", Wildcard said. "When I tell you that a stupid ass French photog is going to turn this perfect op into a total clusterfuck, what you say sir, is 'Oh, holy fuck'. If this isn't the time to use your full adult vocabulary, Lieutenant, I honestly don't know what is".”
1 likes