Start by marking “Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3)” as Want to Read:
Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3)

Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires #3)

4.23  ·  Rating Details  ·  36,580 Ratings  ·  1,394 Reviews
Merit, Chicago's newest vampire, is learning how to play nicely with others. Other supernaturals, that is. Shapeshifters from across the country are convening in the Windy City, and as a gesture of peace, Master Vampire Ethan Sullivan has offered their leader a very special bodyguard: Merit.
Published October 14th 2010 by Gollancz (first published July 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Twice Bitten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twice Bitten

Catherine
*Originally read 7/6/10 - 7/7/10*

I don't exactly know how to review this book. I have such a polarized reaction about it. I loved it, but it absolutely pissed me off. When I got to the end and saw that I'd be left hanging like that, I was absolutely infuriated! I think that if the 4th book was out right now, what happened in the book (and the ending) wouldn't have hit me quite as hard. But it's not out! I closed the book knowing that I'd have to wait a year to read the next one. Noooooooo!

In the
Mrs. Badass
Nov 20, 2010 Mrs. Badass rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS!
Dear Ethan Sullivan,

You don't really know me, but suffice it to say I have a standing interest in Merit's Happiness. Not only did you break my heart with your soft words of need, you then tore it out when you threw her away because you finally scored her. (and really, all that bullsh-oney, about duty and wanting to protect the house? Seriously? That's your angle? Pathetic!) You my liege, are a cold,pretentious,manipulative vampire. I'm not su
Cat Russell  (Addicted2Heroines)
I'm glad Ethan was such a jerk. Merit is entirely too kick-ass for him. I hope Neill sets up a new love interest for her in the next story and Ethan is out of his mind with jealousy. Take that Darth Sullivan!
Melinda
Jul 09, 2010 Melinda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Perfection! There's not much more I can say, just get a copy and read! Actually, get all three books, they really need to be read in order. :)

If anyone from marketing takes a look at goodreads...I want the original Merit back on the cover for book 4!!!
Juliana Philippa
This is definitely my favorite of the series so far!! I absolutely loved it - loved it, loved it, loved it! Cannot wait to read the next one, which is apparently drama-ridden and has created such chaos among readers. For anyone who hasn't started the series, while this is the best book so far, these are definitely not stand-alones and should be read in order.

{ Merit, Whom I For Once Did Not Want to Kill }
I was finally able to actually enjoy Merit, instead of constantly wishing someone w
Jilly
Girls, if you ever find yourself asking this question, "Should I sleep with my boss?" The answer is NOOOOOO!!!! Don't do it!! It is a very very bad idea. Even if you happen to get "lucky" enough that it works out, you will always be thought of as the office skank. You get a promotion? "She got to where she is on her back." You break-up? Now, you have the awkwardness of working for your ex. You might as well quit. Just - don't do it! Men are like buses; if you miss one, another one will be along ...more
"That's All" Ash
 photo tumblr_mrjhkxAFyQ1ssj0hao1_500.gif

Sorry, guys!

I'm too addicted to write a review for this right now!

Must... Read... The... Next... One...
Sharon ∞❥ is an emotional book junkie ❥∞
A. Amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
B. Bite me! ~sigh~
C. Catcher
D. Drama
E. ETHAN !!
F. fighting, fighting and more fighting
G. Gabriel
V. Victory
W. Wishing
X. marks the spot!
Y. Young
Z. Zsnarky (ok i cheated!)

This book was soooo great. I CANNOT wait for the next one. There were too many funny things and swe
Alex is The Romance Fox
The author has developed a compelling paranormal world which quite an interesting theme, that of vampires that have been “outed” and how they try to live openly amongst the human race.

One of the things I found annoying in the first two books was Merit. I found her a bit immature and silly a lot of the times and I wondered if I would ever connect with her. Also the tension and slow build-up between her and Ethan drove me crazy……..in between all her flirting with this one or that one. I even began
Chelsea ❤Peril Please❤ (of BADGER and Snake)
"You undo me, Merit. Wholly and completely. You don't take me at my word. You challenge me at every opportunity. And that means when I'm with you, I am less than the head of this House...and I am more than the head of this House. I am a man." He stroked my cheeks with his thumbs. "In my very, very long life, I need you more than I have ever needed anything."

Eeeeeeep finally! That's all I'll say on that note.

The sexual tension, the angst, the battles, the jealousy-boy oh boy was I in my elemen
Kat Kennedy
Aug 18, 2010 Kat Kennedy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arguably my favourite in the series for many reasons. Super happy fun naked times being one of them.
 ~V~
Mar 25, 2011 ~V~ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG!!!!...what an awesome book!!!...ABSOLUTELY THE BEST OF THE BUNCH SO FAR!!!! It had everything in it that made me fall in love with the first book!!..the suspense, the action, some very funny dialogue, the drama!...oh...the drama!!!!..and the romance...~sigh~Ethan~sigh~FROM BEGINNING TO END....it was ALL there..there was NO slow first half for me this time...just constant thrill and excitement! I will admit though that there was a point in this book that had me full of doubt...and DEPRESSION, ...more
AJ
May 24, 2015 AJ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reasons why I love this book:

- Well developed paranormal world
- Intelligent, no-nonsense, highly sarcastic characters with great dynamics
- Vampire / shifter related storyline with mystery, suspense and lots of action
- LONG-AWAITED HOOK UP BETWEEN MAIN CHARACTERS!! WOOHOO!!!

Yes, we are back with Merit the Vampire. She has now settled into her role as Sentinel of Cadogan House, and her life as one of the undead. She is still as snarky and sarcastic as ever, and I loved that we are thrown straight
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ (of badger and SNAKE)

This is my first 5 stars rating for a vampire's book.

Guess you want to know why, right?

As I wrote before, Merit is such a likeable heroine that she created what I called a big sister effect on me : that's enough rare to be said, so, listen carefully : I totally and absolutely root for her. Her and only her.

What does it mean?

Basically, she can choose what she wants, I. Don't. Care.

Would she want to screw Ethan? I'm okay with that.
Would she want to forgive him? I'm okay with that.
Would she w
This is a review of books 1 - 3.

I don't really know why I read these books besides the fact that I really needed some fluff after some recent happenings - and I also wanted to explore the urban fantasy I so often make fun of. These books certainly fulfilled both needs. I'm not going to review these three books on my blog because, honestly, it's not worth it. While the characters are likable, the story is pathetically predictable. The characters fill every urban fantasy cliche in existence from t
valee
Jul 30, 2010 valee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG! just OMG! I love this series so much.
I'm not describing the book because most of my goodreads friends already read it and that's not what I do on my reviews anyway. I'm just gonna say what I think about it.

This series is freaking fantastic, there's just something about it that totally compels me to keep reading it. There's romance, there's friendship, there's adventure and so much more. It's not possible not to love it.

But more than anything else, there is a terrific heroine. You just can't
Flannery

fus·ty/ˈfʌsti/ [fuhs-tee]
–adjective, -ti·er, -ti·est.
1. having a stale smell; moldy; musty: fusty rooms that were in need of a good airing.
2. old-fashioned or out-of-date, as architecture, furnishings, or the like: They still live in that fusty, gingerbread house.
3. stubbornly conservative or old-fashioned; fogyish.

Number of times I've encountered the word fusty in my 19 years of schooling and 27 years of life: ZERO
Number of times I've encountered the word fusty in the first three books of thi
Gary
Jan 24, 2016 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a lot better this time around five stars all the way
Sophia (FV)
Apr 21, 2011 Sophia (FV) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally reviewed at Fiction Vixen

Wow. I have really enjoyed this series so far. I think about the stories and the characters when I’m not reading and for me that’s the mark of a really good book. I am fully invested in Merit’s world and I think this series is getting even better as it goes.

Twice Bitten really had it all for me. The twists and turns in relationships had me all over the place emotionally. One minute smiling and then the next having a “don’t make me throw my e-reader” moment. To
Jacqueline
After reading Some Girls Bite and it's follow-up Friday Night Bites , I've come to adore Chloe Neill's new urban fantasy series. Not only does Twice Bitten continue the Chicagoland Vampires series's winning streak, it ups the ante.

Picking up directly where the second book left off, it's two months after Merit made the change from human to vampire and became the Sentinel of her new house, Cadogan. Although she still struggles - with lust as well as the fighting - during her physical training s
Alisha
Jul 24, 2010 Alisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think Ms. Neill is my kindred author. Or maybe it's that Merit is my kindred protagonist. ^_^ Either way, the Chicagoland Vampires series is definitely at the very top of my "autobuy" list. Not only that, I also find myself obsessed with Merit and her merry band of characters.

For a while though, I was feeling like something was missing from Merit's usual spunky sassiness. Until I realized that it was because for a while, there was no Mallory! They make such a great pair of pals, and bring out
The Flooze
**3.5ish?**

I‘m going against the crowd with this one.

Not fully against, since I do admit that Neill is skilled and that the story is one I'll keep following. However, Twice Bitten (the third book of Chloe Neill’s Chicagoland Vampires series) did not grab me from the get-go. Firstly, too much time was spent on preparations for the shifter convention, leeching away a lot of the adrenaline and tension that should have held center court. Apart from ConPack, the focus rested mainly on character emot
Cathryn
Jun 13, 2015 Cathryn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was a little bored at the beginning but then Ethan started acting like a dumbass and shapeshifter intrigue started happening and I got pulled in. I'm interested enough to read the next book.
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Really enjoy Merit,she is kick-ass character and she knows how to handle herself and Ethan, at times but there are times that I want to slap some sense into him. LOL.
Peace Love and Reviews
Before reading this book, I recalled how I came across this series. I've never heard of it and did not read any reviews when I decided to purchase its first book Some Girls Bite. I am always happy when I find a book on my own and influence friends int o reading. It is really awesome that I found this book and my bloggers friends seem to love it like I do.

Since this book has not been released yet, I will try to avoid spoilers as much as I can.

So remember where we left off in Friday Night Bites?
Lauren
Twice Bitten
4 Stars

The series is growing on me with each installment and now I can't stop reading them despite the occasional annoying element and the fact that Cynthia Holloway's narration is not the best.

The developments in Ethan and Merit's relationship are what makes this a worthwhile read. Yes, Ethan is an arrogant jerk but I can't help loving him anyway and it seems neither can Merit. Neill obviously invests a great deal of effort into building the tension between these two characters and
UKSandy
Mar 27, 2011 UKSandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
AH
Jul 10, 2010 AH rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twice Bitten is the third installment of Chloe Neill's Chicagoland Vampire series. After a slow start, I settled in to read and I enjoyed every single page.

Chloe Neill's world is based in Chicago, with some wonderful ethnic touches. The vampires are known to humans and live openly in their houses. The shape shifters have not made themselves known to humans and are convening to decide if they should take this step.

I just love Merit. She is sexy, snarky, and a great fighter. Since the last two bo
Bonnie
Nov 14, 2015 Bonnie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow... just wow. This was by far the best book in the Chicagoland Vampires series (so far at least). Total 5 stars... LOVED IT. And okay, it's official. This book has made me an official card carrying member of the Ethan Sullivan fan club. lol That's all I'll say.

Twice Bitten opens where the 2nd left off... Gabriel Keene is coming to town and he has requested that Ethan and Merit be in charge of his security detail. Gabriel is working to bring together all the shape shifters so that a vote can b
Lannister
Apr 08, 2012 Lannister rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't all that taken with this series when I started. I found Merit irritating, and the first book had a very Young Adult feel. However, there was enough going on with the politics of the Houses to keep me coming back. The second book was better than the first, and the third book is the best yet. Merit still has her moments, but she's finally growing up (about time too!) and I find I'm even starting to like Ethan! *gasps*

This book follows the shapeshifters' convocation, where they decide whe
:) 3 21 Feb 26, 2014 04:44AM
What's The Name o...: Woman changes to vampire but transformation has to be done twice [s] 4 83 Nov 14, 2013 11:01AM
PNR/UF Addicts & ...: Chicagoland Vampire - Chloe Neill 211 674 Sep 23, 2013 08:53AM
Buddy Read Zone: Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampire #3) 80 28 May 24, 2013 05:52AM
  • Magic Strikes (Kate Daniels, #3)
  • Queen of Shadows (Shadow World, #1)
  • The Renfield Syndrome (Rhiannon's Law, #2)
  • Venom (Elemental Assassin, #3)
  • The Mage in Black (Sabina Kane, #2)
  • Head Rush (The Disillusionists, #3)
  • Unholy Magic (Downside Ghosts, #2)
  • Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2)
  • Kate's Daddy (Curran POV, #3)
  • One More Bite (Jaz Parks, #5)
Chloe Neill is the New York Times bestselling author of the Chicagoland Vampires Novels, the Devil's Isle Novels, and a YA series, the Dark Elite. Chloe was born and raised in the South, but now makes her home in the Midwest. When she's not writing, she bakes, works, and scours the Internet for good recipes and great graphic design. Chloe also maintains her sanity by spending time with her boys--h ...more
More about Chloe Neill...

Chicagoland Vampires (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1)
  • Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2)
  • Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #4)
  • Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires, #5)
  • Biting Cold (Chicagoland Vampires, #6)
  • House Rules (Chicagoland Vampires, #7)
  • Biting Bad (Chicagoland Vampires, #8)
  • Wild Things (Chicagoland Vampires, #9)
  • Blood Games (Chicagoland Vampires, #10)
  • Dark Debt (Chicagoland Vampires, #11)

“You undo me, Merit. Wholly and completely. You don't take me at my word. You challenge me at every opportunity. And that means when I'm with you, I am less than the head of this House...and I am more than the head of this House. I am a man." He stroked my cheeks with his thumbs. "In my very, very long life, I need you more than I have ever needed anything.” 430 likes
“He paused, then tapped a finger against the box. “This is a wish,” he said quietly, “that even after four hundred years of existence, a man can be strong enough to accept the gifts he’s given.”
“Ethan—,” I began, but he shook his head.
“I’m prepared to wait for a positive response.”
“That’s going to take a while.”
Ethan lifted a single eyebrow, a grin lifting one corner of his mouth. “Sentinel, I am immortal.”
222 likes