Start by marking “The Tin Man (Patrick McLanahan, #7)” as Want to Read:
The Tin Man (Patrick McLanahan, #7)

The Tin Man (Patrick McLanahan #7)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  2,640 Ratings  ·  42 Reviews
The Tin Man. Some call him a terrorist, others call him a vigilante hero. Dressed in a carbon-filament bodysuit that can instantly harden into stronger-than-steel protective armour, he roams the urban landscape of Sacramento, California, on a search-and-destroy mission.
Unknown Binding, Special Overseas Edition, 436 pages
Published October 1st 1999 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published May 18th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Tin Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tin Man

Chad
Apr 16, 2008 Chad rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
I didn't like this book. The premise sounded so exciting, and I kept thinking it has to get better when it gets to the action. There were so many instances of Dale Brown using outrageous scenarios that just aren't realistic. The main character is like a wimp that doesn't have any common sense, yet he works with his friend on these outrageous experiements that never really do any good.

At the time of reading the book, I was on a underway on a Navy ship working over 18 hours a day / 7 days a week.
Brian
Jan 20, 2011 Brian rated it did not like it
Neo-Nazi terrorists decide to raise hell in the Valley. A defense consultant decides to go head to head against them, while having a baby with his ex-military wife, inventing impossible weapons and armor, nursing his rookie cop brother back to health! Right on Bro!
This book really has no purpose but to satisfy the author's craving for impossible technology plot devices. The characters are all stupid, annoying, opaque, one dimensional stereotypes. The story is not interesting, and promises nothin
Patti
Apr 24, 2013 Patti rated it did not like it
I bought this for 25 pesos (0.61 dollars), and it didn't even seem worth it.

The protagonists' characters are so inconsistent that by the end of the novel, I felt like I disliked them as much as the antagonists. Patrick McLanahan seemed to have lost all sense of intelligence he gained from the first six books; in Tin Man, he rushes head-on with no sense of rational thought.
Parker Seifert
Nov 13, 2011 Parker Seifert rated it did not like it
Like a bad James Patterson novel...obvious, cheesy, and ridiculous at times. There are better options out there, you can skip this one.
James
Feb 11, 2011 James rated it did not like it
Awful awful book!
Neil Davies
Apr 14, 2009 Neil Davies rated it did not like it
Shelves: sci-fi, thriller
Not the best book I have read
John
Nov 07, 2010 John rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: techno-thriller
I've never read Dale Brown before, but I picked this one up because it looked less imbued with military jargon than the other stuff he's written. Props to him for attempting to expand his story-telling capabilities into something more dramatic, but after reading Tin Man I'm convinced that Brown should stay as far away from dramatic elements as possible and just stick to delivering high-tech gadgetry and giant explosions. Brown is a master at researching his novels, but the guy doesn't have a ...more
Henri Moreaux
I last read this book in July 2007 and it got me hooked on to Dale Brown's books, have since read the prior six Patrick McLanahan books and now re-read this one.

Having read books 1-6 in a reasonably short period of time by the time I was wrapping up book 6, Shadows of Steel, the plot line was feeling a little stale in that there they were basically variances of a plan which said was some crisis overseas, something would happen to the guys, then they'd go and launch a secret off-the-books mission
Andrea
May 15, 2016 Andrea rated it liked it
Shelves: military
First Dale Brown / Patrick McLanahan that I have read in a long time. Not exactly an action/adventure but I enjoy military novels so I jumped in.
LtGen Patrick McLanahan and his very pregnant wife Wendy are in Sacramento where the retired McLanahan is tending bar at the family-owned bar. Patrick's younger brother Paul, a graduate of UC Davis School of Law, has joined the Sacramento PD.
Paul has graduated from the police academy and is about to begin his new career.
The same time a crime is committe
Allie Schembra
I really wanted to like this book, more. But it just jumped around too much.

This book was passed along to my by my grandfather. It's not normally a book I would enjoy reading. In fact, when I first picked it up and started reading it, I was not enjoying it. I kept thinking there was no way I was going to make it through this book. But then it got just a little more interesting.

The book takes place in Sacramento County, so all the locations were familiar to me. That was really the only thing tha
Dean Deters
Jul 29, 2012 Dean Deters rated it it was ok
Interesting departure for Dale Brown, who normally writes military thrillers involving airplanes. This book is about a guy who uses a new technology which makes a normal fabric virtually indestructible. He makes a suit of it, which he uses to track down the international terrorist who hurt his brother during a daring robbery.

The story was ok, if a bit contrived. There were a few interesting plot twists. I actually had to check what the publication date was when one of the characters had to expla
Noah
Jan 15, 2016 Noah rated it it was amazing
Personally, this book seems to be quite similar to real life, the hardship of the characters really make you feel every injury they sustain. I love Dale Brown's Patrick McLanahan series the character development lets you blend with the book practically hear each sound and every movement that happens. To say that my mood changed as the book continued on would be an understatement when reading if a sad even occurred I would be blue for the rest of the day just sulking around but if something crazy ...more
Victor
May 28, 2012 Victor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
The Tin Man is a fast read. Very plot driven and readers that have some understanding of previous books as references to certain experiences are made throughout, will have a more enjoyable time recalling plots from previous Dale Brown novels. However, knowing the intricate details of these books is not required to enjoy the page turner that is The Tin Man. It reminds me a lot of Iron Man with regards to the suit, though obviously that's where the comparisons end. I'd recommend this book for ...more
Tim Spindler
Jul 27, 2012 Tim Spindler rated it liked it
I remember picking this up at an airport for about a quid. I needed something to read on my holiday to Greece when I was about 14, having left the latest HP novel at home.

It's a page turner at best and feels like an action movie as you paint out the scenes with your imagination, I enjoyed it but not so much that I would ditch Tolkien and the fantasy that I truly love for war novels and action heroes.

***
Cactuskid
Jan 02, 2012 Cactuskid rated it liked it
Interesting because the layout is mostly in the Sacramento area which was very familiar to me. Very detailed but pretty far fetched. Another Patrick McLanahan novel using technology to make a bodysuit that protects him from bullets etc. He becomes a one-man army fighting a terrorist that takes out a bikers drug ring, then wants to blow up the Folsom Dam, all to cause violence and turmoil to mask his real objective (which I won't reveil here).
Bob Conner
Jan 18, 2015 Bob Conner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: military-war
Dale Brown had me with Flight of the Old Dog and he doesn't believe in catch and release. Another awesome read from Brown and the very effective use of continuation of main characters.

When I read Dale Brown, I'm always awed by his technical knowledge, but even more intriguing is his almost clairvoyant ability to write stories that seem to connect with future events.

I find I'm always watching for new releases by Brown.
Clyn
Feb 24, 2010 Clyn rated it really liked it
Different book for this series by Dale Brown. Kind of like Without Remorse in the Tom Clancy series about Jack Ryan. Well developed plot, interesting technology, and just enough vigilantism to keep you happy.
Shawn Liner
Man invents a battle suit that helps him revenge his brother. I really enjoyed it. I felt a certain justice. The story was well laid out and the overall effect was really fun. Not a classic, but certainly fantastic "movie-book" fun.
Anna
Jan 18, 2010 Anna added it
an ok book so far - I was expecting a little bit more action/adventure.Maybe that will come later?

No such luck - blew through the last 1/2 of the book - nothing impressive. The premium was good, there was no follow thru on the concept :-(
Justin
Aug 18, 2015 Justin rated it liked it
Shelves: scif-fi
good read. The build up to the climax sucked and the villain's final goal was really far fetched. There are times I felt the local cops were extremely one dimension. There were times I felt that the author should have stuck to air to air combat.
Dennis
Jan 03, 2014 Dennis rated it liked it
Brown's books are always fun to read but this one didn't quite hit the same spark with me as the other books I've read. Still, if you are a fan of Dale Brown's work this will still be en enjoyable read.
Katherine
Dec 09, 2014 Katherine rated it it was ok
This book is like the kind of TV you watch when you're knitting because you don't really need to pay attention.

Simplistic action adventure that doesn't require too much thought.
Ana
Feb 10, 2010 Ana rated it it was amazing
I think I enjoyed this story mostly because it took place in CA and the areas mentioned are familiar. Just a fun read.
Joe Gaskill
Apr 20, 2013 Joe Gaskill rated it really liked it
A futuristic tale involving high tech military gear that can be semi believable. (Similar to Iron Man, I guess.)
Ed
May 08, 2016 Ed rated it liked it
Shelves: military, crime, action
#7 in the Patrick McLanahan series.

Patrick McLanahan, et al.- International terrorists get involved with the drug trade in Sacramento, CA
Kurt
Mar 05, 2008 Kurt rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this book on tape and thought it was a great story but it had too much bad language and was a little slow.
Gilbert G.
It was not one of my favourite. To bad but it jumped around a lot and had a hard time keeping me interested.
Navajojim
Aug 27, 2008 Navajojim rated it liked it
Sort of like robocop, at least there are some similarities. But it was a fun and interesting book to say the least and it wasnt to long.
Justin
Mar 06, 2015 Justin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fast-paced book set in Sacramento as law enforcement attempts to corral terrorists planning on blowing up a dam. An engaging book at times, but at other times seemed to drag with a far-fetched plot.
John
Oct 19, 2008 John rated it really liked it
Another book passed on from a mate... and another one that I enjoyed. Dale Brown introduces sience fiction with good-old-boy nazis... a bizzare combination, but one that works.
  • Fortunes of War
  • Day of Wrath
  • Scimitar SL-2 (Admiral Arnold Morgan, #7)
  • Force of Eagles (Jack Locke, #2)
Former U.S. Air Force captain Dale Brown is the superstar author of 25 consecutive New York Times best-selling military-action-aviation adventure novels: FLIGHT OF THE OLD DOG (1987), SILVER TOWER (1988), DAY OF THE CHEETAH (1989), HAMMERHEADS (1990), SKY MASTERS (1991), NIGHT OF THE HAWK (1992), CHAINS OF COMMAND (1993), STORMING HEAVEN (1994), SHADOWS OF STEEL (1996) and FATAL TERRAIN (1997), ...more
More about Dale Brown...

Patrick McLanahan (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Flight of the Old Dog (Patrick McLanahan, #1)
  • Night of the Hawk (Patrick McLanahan, #2)
  • Sky Masters (Patrick McLanahan, #3)
  • Day of the Cheetah (Patrick McLanahan, #4)
  • Shadows of Steel (Patrick McLanahan, #5)
  • Fatal Terrain (Patrick McLanahan, #6)
  • Battle Born (Patrick McLanahan, #8)
  • Warrior Class (Patrick McLanahan, #9)
  • Wings of Fire (Patrick McLanahan, #10)
  • Air Battle Force (Patrick McLanahan, #11)