Start by marking “Peter Simple (Heart of Oak Sea Classics Series)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Peter Simple

Frederick Marryat

Peter Simple (Heart of Oak Sea Classics Series)

The story of a young naif in Nelson's navy, "Peter Simple", Marryat's signature work, is marked by memorable characters, a comic edge, and the kind of unerring detail that comes only from first-hand experience--a true masterpiece of the Golden Age of Sail.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1834)

To ask other readers questions about Peter Simple, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peter Simple

Jean Poulos
This book was first published in 1834. Frederick Marryat (1792-1848) was a British Royal Naval officer, novelist and knew Charles Dickens. Marryat developed the widely used system of maritime flag signaling known as Marryat’s Code. He wrote a semiautobiographical novel “The Midshipman Easy.” He is famous as an early pioneer of sea stories.

This book is probably the most accurate account about life at sea in the Napoleonic era as it was mostly likely taken from the authors own experiences. Patrick
K.
Mar 09, 2010 K. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: adventure lovers
Said it before, but I'll say it again...I love this author!!!

This is an early Marryat (his fourth to be exact) and I marvel so at his command of the language.

I know it has become generally known that a good book "should" catch you in the first sentence, but I don't go by that rule all that much as many, many, books fail to do so and only improve upon further acquaintence.

However, Marryat can be counted on to hook the reader immediately.

1st paragraph:

"If I cannot narrate a life of adventurou
M. Kei
Dec 03, 2010 M. Kei rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nautical-fiction
A delightful novel by a man who was himself a naval officer during the Napoleonic Wars, it concerns the adventures of Peter Simple, the 'greatest fool in his family,' as he becomes a midshipman, falls in love, has adventures, and rises to high position. It bears a great resemblance to Voltaire's Candide in the earstwhile hero who suffers many adventures, falls in with colorful characters, who in turn relate their own adventures, including how they managed to survive a variety of picturesque deat ...more
Daniel Garrison
Apr 30, 2016 Daniel Garrison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent yarn from one of my favorite swashbuckling authors!

Carol
May 10, 2017 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting, if long, story! This book follows the life of Peter Simple from the beginning of his life until well, that would be telling! The last few chapters I stayed up most of the night to read!
Zaira
Mar 23, 2017 Zaira rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Versión cómic.
Caitlín (Ink Mage)
Mar 18, 2008 Caitlín (Ink Mage) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Naval fiction and adventure fans
Young Peter Simple has been told he lives up to his surname, and when he joins Nelson's Navy (as it is the "custom to sacrifice the greatest fool of the family to the prosperity and naval superiority of the country"), he certainly fits the role; He's a naïve boy of fourteen when he boards the H.M.S. Diomede, still prone to tears, sure to believe any lie he is told, and ripe for tormenting. But he learns--albeit slowly--and is soon off having adventures, both daring and embarrassing, with his fri ...more
Kate Millin
Jun 19, 2011 Kate Millin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up to read as I have fond memories of reading 'The children of the New Forest' written by the same author when I was a child (even though I don't remember much of the story). I found this very interesting and readable despite being written in the early 19th century - although it was a slow read.

Simple, peter may have been at the start. Early i the story , there is a delightful scene where he finds that his ship-mates have been using his account with the bumboat woman to make their
Jan
Jul 11, 2015 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth
Verhalen over avonturen op zee spraken zeer tot mijn verbeelding in mijn jeugd. Dat een echte kapitein dit boek heeft geschreven, heeft daartoe bijgedragen. Het heeft mij geboeid.
Ik heb overigens een heel andere editie gelezen: 'De lotgevallen van Pieter Simpel' naverteld door P. de Zeeuw J.Gzn, als deel 29 in de serie Oud Goud uitgegeven door G.B. van Goor Zonen, 2e druk (jaar niet vermeld, 1e druk is uit 1953). JM
David
Jun 30, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember that I loved this book. Sadly, no luckly, I cannot remember the details of it. I know I read a lot of it in the cold winter of Canberra, tucked away in a bath. It was my last year at ANU and I just recall that the words were beautiful and stole me away from my reality. I must read this again. LOL- i wonder what I thought of the story other than it was a 'Boys Own' adventure?
Cheryl Elliott
I stumbled across this in another book and was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it. There was a little too much about sailing, but as it was the fictional autobiography of a UK sailor in the early 1800's, that was to be expected. I would highly recommend it.
Julia Nix
Jul 26, 2016 Julia Nix rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting for its depictions of the experiences and work of a British sailor of the period. And endearing for the main character: a young man of good will and honor, disposed and discounted as "the fool of the family."
Steve Goble
A young man joins the Royal Navy and learns the ropes from a colorful cast of mentors. The book is slow-paced to start, and rather old-fashioned, but it is a good read. It also is rather humorous in many aspects. Fun stuff.
Pieter
Aug 06, 2012 Pieter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this swashbuckling snapshot into British naval history. All the maritime vocab threw me a bit, but the underlying story was solid and a real page turner.
Stephen
Feb 16, 2010 Stephen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good. The author has an uncommon knack for humor and turn of phrase.
Leslie
Nov 13, 2015 Leslie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is hilarious. Very enjoyable.
Samantha Glasser
Read this book for free through Project Gutenberg: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/21577/...
Bogi
Sep 21, 2012 Bogi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Old friend I read as a child and I still like it at the age of 60!
Brian Lenhart
Brian Lenhart rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2016
Manuel
Manuel rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2015
JAMES R. WESSELMAN
JAMES R. WESSELMAN rated it liked it
Jul 23, 2014
Michał
Michał rated it liked it
Aug 24, 2013
Randy
Randy rated it it was amazing
Jul 22, 2016
Bernard Windwillow
Bernard Windwillow rated it liked it
Jan 05, 2017
Chris Boots-Faubert
Chris Boots-Faubert rated it it was amazing
Aug 15, 2016
amanda
amanda rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2007
AndyS
AndyS rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2014
Liz
Liz rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2016
Mikko Partanen
Mikko Partanen rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2014
Rick
Rick rated it liked it
Dec 05, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Golden Ocean
  • The Gun Ketch (Alan Lewrie, #5)
  • White Jacket or, the World on a Man-of-War
  • Deadly Nightshade
  • The Rover
  • Where Valor Rests: Arlington National Cemetery
  • Hornblower and the Atropos (Hornblower Saga: Chronological Order, #5)
  • The Little Duke
  • Richard Bolitho — Midshipman (Richard Bolitho, #1)
  • Shade It Black: Death and After in Iraq
  • The Sinking of the Bismarck: The Deadly Hunt
  • Men of Honor (Pirates of the Narrow Seas, #2)
  • The Guernseyman (Richard Delancey Novels, #1)
Captain Frederick Marryat was a British Royal Navy officer and novelist, an early pioneer of the sea story.

For more information, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frederic...
More about Frederick Marryat...