Start by marking “Arm in Arm: A Collection of Connections, Endless Tales, Reiterations, and Other Echolalia” as Want to Read:

Hailed by the New York Times as a rare and original collection of "verbal and visual witticisms...as joyfully illustrated as it is absurd," ARM IN ARM has delighted children—and grown-ups—for years with its endless tales, gleeful riddles, circular poems, and fantastical drawings.

From the Hardcover edition.
Published September 14th 2010 by Tricycle Press (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Arm in Arm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arm in Arm

Gar Ver
Jul 22, 2007 Gar Ver rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: healthy brains
A brain friendly children's book.

Isn't it better to be in a warm bed saying, "Isn't it better to be in a warm bed rather than out in the cold snow?" Rather than out in the cold snow saying, "Isn't it better to be in a warm bed rather than out in the cold snow?"

That's one page! Arm in Arm celebrates the elemental reasoning behind love and acceptance.
Sarah Sammis
If I were to make a list of the books I've read more times than I can count, Arm in Arm by Remy Charlip would be near the top. This slim book of art and poetry was one of those books I would try to check out from the library every time I went. I'm surprised I didn't end up being given a copy. In fact, I ended up buying the library's copy many years later when it had been read to the point of falling apart! I later released that copy via BookCrossing and replaced it with another one in better con ...more
Jenny
Mar 18, 2010 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favoite books when I was 5 or 6. It's a collection of word rhymes and tongue teasers but oh so much more. I've thought of it quite often throughout my life and oh, how I wished I had a copy. When it's re-issued I'm buying a copy for me and my nieces! "Pete & Repeat were sitting on a fence and Pete fell off. Who was left? Repeat. Pete & Repeat were sitting on a fence and Pete fell off. Who was left? Repeat'. And so on.
Roseanne
This odd little book passed over my desk today...is it safe to say that we're not as eclectic as we used to be?
Dolly
Feb 25, 2014 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book offers a combination of humorous word play and entertaining artwork for a fun read aloud. The tales/poems/plays/etc. are quite bizarre and the repetition and puns are very creative. We really enjoyed reading this book together.
Martha
Aug 23, 2015 Martha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I remember reading this with my sister when I was about six and being fascinated by the groovy pictures and crazy rhymes. A colorful and amusing mind bender book for children and adults alike.
Katherine
Nov 30, 2014 Katherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book probably warped my brain in the best possible way. I bought it at a garage sale when I was 6 or 7. LOVE.
Kit Dunsmore
Mar 17, 2015 Kit Dunsmore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite picture books because of the visual images and word play.
Logan
Dec 09, 2010 Logan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
As two stars indicates, it was okay. Long out of print, this was reprinted just a month ago (mid-September, 2010) and I looked forward to my library getting it in. I wanted to read it to Logan because an amazing math tutor and enthusiast reviewed it so beautifully here in his blog post about the Droste Effect: http://mathforlove.com/2010/09/infini.... But L didn't care for the cartoonish style of it (he seems to dislike when people or animals are represented in a distorted way) and he didn't fin ...more
Betty
Jun 10, 2015 Betty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Strange, wonderful and altogether lovely.
Kristen
What a truly bizarre and enjoyable book.
Siskiyou-Suzy
This little book is very unique and is clearly a treasure. I didn't have it in my childhood like so many of these reviews. Instead, I found it at Salvation Army one day. I went back and forth over buying it because it seemed rather corny, but Remy Charlip seemed familiar to me. When I got home I saw that he wrote Fortunately, which I've read to the kids a few times. I decided to get the book, and I'm glad I did. Where it isn't humorous, it is interesting and where it isn't either it is fun. So i ...more
Rachel
Apr 14, 2015 Rachel rated it it was ok
Interesting....
Kbg503
Jul 02, 2013 Kbg503 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"It was a dark and stormy night. We were standing on the deck. The Captain said "Tell me a story, my son." And so, I began..."

I hope I am remembering this correctly. It sounds right to my ear. My mind can picture the art. And my body remembers spinning this book to read this!

All those wonderful stories are buried somewhere in my mind. And as I remember them, wherever I am at, people will wonder why I'm giggling.
Darren Rector
Sep 04, 2013 Darren Rector rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think of you every time i think of you every time i think of you every time ...This was formative stuff for me, and now my children, ages seven and five, adore the bizarre and unbound creativity of the sketchy illustrations and wild and clever prose. Ask me if I'm a boat. Between Shel Silverstein, Maurice Sendak and Remy Charlip, my childhood recieved narration and illustration.
elissa
I spent hours and hours and hours with this when I was about 5 years old. My kids were never as enthralled by it, possibly because it looks very late-60's/early 70's. I got my younger son to spend some time with it yesterday, and he laughed a lot, and ran over to me with it to show me something several times. Fun!
P.
Jan 14, 2011 P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art, nonfic, jfic
The joy of Remy Charlip is so genuine and earnest. It's so much better than the word "cute", although there is that. (A heart inside a heart in a heart hug, anyone?)

I'm pretty sure that if I had read this when I was a little girl it would have blown my mind.
Laura Leigh
Jul 16, 2007 Laura Leigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very odd. I have quite an old copy of it, and I can't give it up. No clue where I got it, but the illustrations and words are almost poetry, although child-like. I wasn't even sure I'd find this book on here.
Betsy
Aug 12, 2007 Betsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who has been a child and likes to be intelligently amused.
Fantastic! Oh, to be the kind of adult who can dream up such wonderfully clever and amusing creations that are exactly the food a good child's mind can gobble up. . .
Sheherazahde
I got this book from the library when I was a child and I still remember it. Beautiful illustrations matched with mind bending ideas.
Jim
Jan 05, 2010 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
if derrida was a children's book author....... silly, fun, just the kind of stuff to put into the heads of small people.
Jennifer Cho
Jul 29, 2007 Jennifer Cho rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so silly and fun. Be sure to check out the author's pic on the inside flap of the dust jacket. Zany guy.
Singnstring
Jan 08, 2016 Singnstring rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My absolute favorite children's picture book of ALL TIME. Whimsy at its finest and great for all ages.
After
Jun 13, 2008 After rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Remy Charlip! I recommend all his imaginative books.
Morgan
Aug 07, 2007 Morgan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Quite possibly one of the best books ever written.
Tara
Oct 02, 2012 Tara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My absolute favorite book as a child.
Elizabeth
Has my favorite octopus poem ever.
May
Sep 04, 2007 May rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
Magically witty. Wow.
Larissa
Sep 03, 2007 Larissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
the best book in the world
Foreverfangirl
Foreverfangirl marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Bunyip of Berkeley's Creek
  • I'll Fix Anthony
  • About the B'nai Bagels
  • Arabel's Raven (Arabel and Mortimer, #1-3)
  • Magic Eye 3: Visions A New Dimension in Art (Magic Eye, #3)
  • The Beast of Monsieur Racine
  • Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude is Gertrude
  • The Charles Addams Mother Goose
  • If...
  • You and Me Together: Moms, Dads, and Kids Around the World
Abraham 'Remy' Charlip (born January 10, 1929) is an American artist, writer, choreographer, theatre director, designer, and teacher.

He studied art at Straubenmuller Textile High School in Manhattan and fine arts at Cooper Union in New York, graduating in 1949.

In the 1960s, Charlip created a unique form of choreography, which he calls "air mail dances". He sends a set of drawings to a dance compan
More about Remy Charlip...