Start by marking “The Unforgiven (The Watchers, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Unforgiven (The Watchers, #1)

The Unforgiven (The Watchers, #1)

Seven thousand years ago, angels descended from heaven to guide a fledgling human race. Known as the Watchers, they were forbidden to partake in carnal pleasures. But they could not resist the temptation, and as a result their descendants have been cursed—unnatural magical beings that belong neither to heaven nor fully to earth.

Cade was ordered to claim her for his clan. S

Published August 6th 2011 by Dorchester Publishing Trade (first published June 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Unforgiven, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unforgiven

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

I’m just going to say this right up front – I loved this story! But before I go into the reasons why, I want to give you a little background about me and my obsession with the Nephilim –

For as long as I can remember, since the first time I heard the word Nephilim, I wanted to know more about this race of beings. Were they truly the offspring of “fallen angels” and human women? Were they really cursed for the sins of their fathers? Giants or heroes, wicked or valiant, there are so few biblical r
All Things Urban Fantasy
THE UNFORGIVEN opens like a mid-series book; characters have complex and painful pasts, there are rivalries and vendettas, all of which were introduced through summaries or asides or context clues. I’d applaud this book for being easy to jump into, but when I circled back to find the start of the series I found... THE UNFORGIVEN.

While part of me is still in denial (looking for prequel novellas or books on another imprint), when I judge THE UNFORGIVEN as a true first in the series, the opening le
Katie Michaels
Aug 07, 2011 Katie Michaels rated it liked it
As a frequent reader of Urban Fantasy and Paranormal Romance, I can just tell when I'm jumping into a series midway through. It's something about the way the author talks about the backstory... in the way the characters are introduced... like there's all this stuff we're supposed to know already, but the author gives a quick recap/ info dump for the new readers just joining in. After reading the first chapter of this book, I would have bet you money that I missed a previous book in the series. T ...more
Hbeebti
Jan 03, 2011 Hbeebti rated it liked it
This started kinda slow. There was a lot of info going on. For most of the book I was upset that Cade was going to enslave Maddie. That just bothered me to no end. The more he lied and led her to believe otherwise was killing me. Arthur was the biggest A**. I could not stand him. I would give this about a 3.5. I would read the next one if and when it comes out. Overall it wasn't bad for a first in a series .
Tracy
Jun 29, 2011 Tracy rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of dark PNR/fantasy.
A Dark Debut Steeped In Mythos and History
They call themselves Watchers after the angels from whom they descend, but to those who hate and fear them they are called archdemons, abominable, vile beasts who feed on flesh and blood, who manipulate and corrupt the cherished humans around them. They are the bastard children of angels and humans. Abominations to heaven and cursed for it, denied heaven, denied hell. They are the Nephilim.

And it so sucks to be them.

Grouped in clans based on their angel
Laura the Highland Hussy

The beginning starts out with a bang, but shortly thereafter, I feel as if there is some sort of backstory I’m supposed to know. There are two characters who right off the bat feel as if it’s their story-Artur and Cybele. But it isn’t their story, and I’m sure they’re being set up for one, but they are not the hero heroine. I actually had to read the blurb again to see if I was wrong, but nope, the H/h are Cade and Maddie, and they were introduced later on
Melindeeloo
When a rival clan, breeches the wards protecting Watcher/Nephalim Cade's clan, killing Cade's infant son and nearly anihilating his people, Cade's leader sends Cade on a mission to transition a woman from human to Nephalim, but in such a way as to enslave her in order to use her as a weapon against their rivals.

I really enjoyed the kick off to Nash's new Watcher series. There is sort of a romance in the Unforgiven, but there is so much more going on, as Nash brings to life a world in which the
Julia
Jul 13, 2011 Julia rated it did not like it
I would applaud this book for being easy to jump into, but I was shocked to find it's the first in the series. I would not be surprised to find prequel novellas or novels on another imprint, there is so much backstory laying on the table it would be a shame if this was truly book 1. While I picked up the overall gist of the plot, none of the characters other than Maddie were introduced in a way that felt like a true "first time introduction".

Well paced with an interesting mythology, my main com
Karen
Jul 10, 2011 Karen rated it it was ok
I'm still looking for that perfect Angel story. Unfortunately, The Unforgiven, although steeped in angel mythology wasn't quite what I was looking for.

There is a coming war between the Nephilum clans (the cursed offspring of forbidden Angel/human matings) also known as The Watchers. Each Watcher holds a magical gift and obviously the clan with the stronger collective magic is at an advantage.

Cade is part of the Clan Azazel. It is learned that there is woman, Maddie, who is a dormant Watcher read
Amber  Read
Jun 20, 2011 Amber Read rated it it was amazing
Joy Nash has a way of weaving a tale to make you fall completely in love and become throughly engrossed in the story.

I love the complexity of the characters relationships in this book. It draws you in quickly. Artur, Cybele, and Cade's triangle is something to behold. Artur and Cybele were bonded but when Cybele finds Cade in the middle of his transition she anchors him over to become truly Nephilim so he doesn't die. Artur then takes this as betrayal of his and Cybele's bond and will not forgiv
Rania Melhem
Jun 28, 2011 Rania Melhem rated it liked it
First of all thanks go to netgalley and Dorchester who allowed me to read this book ahead of its publication date.
And now on to the review, I will keep it spoiler free so dont be afraid to read it.
Let me start by saying that I was looking forward to reading a new book by Joy Nash, I had really enjoyed her contributions to the Immortals series (the other authors were Jennifer Ashley and Robin Popp) but I have to say that I was disappointed in The Unforgiven (The Watchers #1), the first two third
Becca
Jun 30, 2011 Becca rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It was a bit confusing in the very beginning but once it got going then it was engrossing. Definitely a different take on the whole angel, nephilim premise. It will be interesting to see where this goes. I like the fact that the author had more than one storyline going on in the book, it kept you interested in the secondary characters and gave a richer depth to the story as a whole.
If you can get past the beginning where it seems to be Artur and Cybele's story then i
Heather
Nov 27, 2011 Heather rated it did not like it
I was suprised that this was book 1 as it opens like a series in play. I actually went to my computer and checked to ensure this was book 1. The series has potential. I was a bit grossed out with one of the relationships in the book ( if you read you will see what I mean ). It isn't a book that I was running around telling my friends to read....I will see how book 2 is to make my call.
Sandy
Sandy rated it liked it
Jan 08, 2012
Lori Reed
Lori Reed rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2012
Toni
Toni rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2017
Tonia
Tonia rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2014
 Lady Krishna
Lady Krishna rated it really liked it
Jun 27, 2011
Nancy Bond
Nancy Bond rated it really liked it
Feb 23, 2012
Scooper Speaks
Scooper Speaks rated it it was ok
Apr 30, 2011
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Oct 30, 2011
Joyce
Joyce rated it it was amazing
Jan 04, 2012
Rose
Rose rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Billie
Billie rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2012
Gail Mitchell
Gail Mitchell rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2014
Mhollie
Mhollie rated it really liked it
Jul 27, 2011
Gina
Gina rated it liked it
Feb 19, 2012
Alipe
Alipe rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2011
Joy Nash is a USA Today Bestselling Author and RITA Award Finalist applauded by Booklist for her "tart wit, superbly crafted characters, and sexy, magic-steeped plots." Joy, best known for the Druids of Avalon and Immortals series, writes romantic fiction in historical, contemporary, and alternate-reality settings. Her newest series is the apocalyptic fantasy The Nephilim: Demons Among Us.

Joy once