Letters

Letters

4.42 of 5 stars 4.42  ·  rating details  ·  1,149 ratings  ·  144 reviews

When Marjorie Pay Hinckley passed away in April 2004, every woman who had ever known her, even merely through reading her books or hearing her speak, felt as if she had lost a friend. Sister Hinckley looked at life with a twinkle in her eye. Her genuine interest in others made them care a little more for each other. Her quiet, constant support of her husband showed what a

Published (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Letters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Letters

Christina
I finally finished this book just so I could say I had read it, but it was difficult to get through. I admire Marjorie Hinckley, and it was a bit fun to read about her day-to-day life (the sick babies, the traveling, the gardening ...). I also thought it was interesting to get those little insights into the life of a General Authority and public figure. However, I found the book boring.

I thoroughly enjoyed Glimpses into the Life and Heart of Marjorie Pay Hinckley, so I expected this one to be fu...more
Jodi
I'm impressed that so many family members kept letters and postcards from Sis. Hinckley! It's amazing to think that letters were written so frequently and regularly now that we have instant email. This was an interesting book, but not nearly as good as "Glimpses" was. I enjoyed reading most of these letters and seeing what a positive attitude Sis. Hinckley had, but by half-way or two-thirds through the book, it started feeling a little more redundant. It was fun to get a better idea of what life...more
Kim
I liked reading this book. The introduction written by her children explains why: "We hope that you will see [her letters] as a celebration of the power of the ordinary. We hope that as you peek into the Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday-ness of her life, you will see with new eyes the value of your own." Here is this family we revere for their righteousness and upstanding lives, and this collection of letters shows us that they lived lives similar to ours, except with all the extra traveling and r...more
Missy
Jun 10, 2008 Missy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who needs a bit of loveliness in their life!
Recommended to Missy by: Shareylou
Lovely is not a word I use a lot, or at least not whe I am being serious. Honestly, though, there is not a better word to describe Sister Hinckley than lovely. This book was such a breath of fresh air. Letter writing is truely a lost art. It was fun to see into the corners of her life and realize that she had the same struggles many of us face - weight gain, wild children, etc. Sometimes she was even in a grumpy mood (if you can believe it!). However, she got over it quickly and was back to coun...more
Heidi
This book was a quick read. However, I had a hard time being inspired to read it. I am sure that the letters hold higher sentimental attachement to family members. However, since I didn't fall into this slot, it wasn't the most interesting book ever. It did have a few jems in it though such as some funny stories about the Hinckleys as well as being very informative about life as a General Authorities wife.
Laura Farrer
Absolutely LOVED this book!!! I mean I already loved the Hinckleys, but I was crying and laughing through the whole thing. It was wonderful!!
Kate
I belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and believe that God has called prophets to lead His people in this day and age, just as He did in Biblical times. One of those prophets was Gordon B. Hinckley (1910-2008). President Hinckley led the Church from 1995, until his death in 2008, and until her death in 2004, his wife Marjorie Pay Hinckley was always by his side. I cannot think of anyone who didn’t adore Sister Hinckley. She was a small, smiling, grandmotherly type woman, w...more
Kristopher Swinson
I'm not so certain that "one of the appealing things about these letters is the unremarkableness of the accounts" (93). It felt as if we had to perform all the labor to glean insights after poring through years' worth of ordinary family accounts. This is partially because she wasn't one to complain (33, 41, 72, 79) or immodestly put anything forward. This elect lady shared her husband's concern for the one (see 234).

I was very amused at their busy pace, as they "were not born to be Saturday golf...more
Stephanie
I have already read this but it's been a while. I was impressed to read it again this past Sunday after watching the Gordon B. Hinckley movie with one of my boys. I love the candidness of this book, the glimpse that it is into this amazing woman's life. It helps me feel better knowing that even the wife of a prophet was concerned with the everyday drudgery of endless housework/repairs and things as simple as hairstyles and clothes. She kept herself HAPPILY busy, going about the ordinary tasks of...more
Adelina
I love Sister Hinckley. Before reading Letters though, I didn’t know much about her though, other than that she was the Prophets wife, and anytime I saw photos or video of her, she just radiated love and kindness.

Reading Letters gave me such a beautiful insight into Sister Hinckley’s life, and helped me realize she’s just as human as me with similar struggles and worries. The first few letters, as she writes Gordon reminded me of similar circumstances in my life as a very young mother.
Now that I...more
Angie Bollard
I loved this book. Sister Hinckley was my favorite person. She had such a cute sense of humor and she had a beautiful soul. That shines through in this book. From raising a young family to traveling the world over. She saw much of the world and she still wrote about her longing for home and family. Some of my favorite parts are:
-When she attends the dedication of the business administration building at BYU and they use dynamite for the groundbreaking ceremony and they used a little too much and...more
Queen
I absolutely adore this book. I adore Marjorie Hinckley to begin with. I admire her and when I read these letters and saw that she was just like us as a young mother, it gave me hope. Granted, she is more patient and lovely, but it was nice to read a letter where she uses the word "freak". I love that she gets irritated by the things we do. That it's ok to be REAL. That's what I love most about her and President Hinckley. They keep it real. They don't have time for playing a role - they just do...more
Jessica
I came upon this book on my Mother-in-law's book shelf. I thought it was fun and interesting to read the letters of a prophet's wife to her family. I was pleased to discover that even though she was a world traveler and a very busy person, she was first and foremost a Mother, with all the daily housekeeping and childcare concerns that we all have. My favorite was when she expressed to some family member how she had set a goal to read a chapter out of each of the standard works every day, and she...more
Karie
This book was a priceless window into not only an amazing woman's life, but also into the ordinary life of a woman, mother, sister, daughter, and wife. Marjorie's candid and funny expressions on life's great moments and challenges were comforting and inspiring. The letters written to various family members over the years (her children, her family, her husband, and even grandchildren) give one an idea of the well rounded loving but realistic faithful woman that Marjorie Hinckley was. It is easy t...more
Melissa
I thought this book was really cute. I have always wanted to know what Sis. Hinckley is like. I enjoyed reading her letters written to family members at different points in her life. They gave me a taste of what she was like and what her life was like. I learned that her life was filled with daily routines as mine is, yet she was a strong, amazing woman, truly an example to us all. She gives me something to aspire to! I recommend this book to anyone who wants a glimpse into the sweet and witty h...more
Kristen
I really enjoyed this book - why did I wait so long to finally read it?!!!? Walking away from this book, I think the thing I'll take with me the most is that Sister Hinckley was a completely normal, imperfect person, who, in spite of all that, did extraordinary things! I think we often find ourselves thinking we're not as good as other people, when, in essence, we're only as good as we allow ourselves to be. Sister Hinckley's personal letters were a breath of fresh air to my sometimes downhearte...more
Melissa T
Ah the Hinckley's, how I miss them. This book is actually a collection of letters written by Marjorie Pay Hinckley to family members over the years and demonstrates her quiet strenght, her unfailing love, her sweet faith. I felt as though some of the letters were written to me, she has a way of cutting through the fluff and getting right to the heart. I adore her and hope to meet her in person someday. I would read anything written by her - she certainely fits the definition of an elect lady.
Lorena
A wonderful glimpse into her life, the life of a busy wife, mother, and grandmother. Funny and inspiring. Favorite quotes:
P. 98 (To her daughter) P.S. If you think you are miscast in the Cub Scout program, try this on your violin -- Dad has just been made adviser to the Tabernacle Choir. P. 125 I have a new project, 1 chapter a day from each of the standard works. I have been on it for four days and am only 3 days behind. Better to have tried and failed than never to have tried.

Jenette
Was given to me by a friend of my mom's when I was having a stressful time on hospital bedrest with my last pregnancy and going through a second NICU stay. This book brightened my life at this time and caused me to laugh out loud and made me feel like I wasn't as alone as I may have thought. Loved reading the things Sister Hinckley dealt with on a daily basis. Especially those related to motherhood and that trials that can arise there! A book I will forever love!
Wendy
(I didn't intentionally move from one letter format book to another. I guess it was a subconscious letter-reading kick that led me to finish this book I had started a few months ago.) I LOVE Marjorie Hinckley. She is so darling and real. These letters span her life as a young mother to a world traveler with her husband in her later years. It was fun to get a glimpse into her daily life and concerns and inspiring to read of her global adventures.
Sherilyn
I loved reading this book. It was a pleasure to read of all the wonderful advise that Sister Hinckley had for her family, the joys and trials that she faced but to feel the love she had for her husband, children, family and the Lord. I would recommend it to all who want to feel the spirit and to gain a greater appreciation for our wonderful prophets wifes and the great support they are to all who know them. Marjorie Hinckley was an amazing women.
julie
I appreciate Marjorie Pay Hinckley so much. This book was compiled by her children and contains letters to family members from the time she was a young bride living in Denver until later in life when she traveled extensively throughout the world, serving with her husband in various positions.

I admire her good sense, compassion, and sense of humor, as well as her untiring devotion to the Lord, hard work, and service.
Sandy
I really enjoyed this book. Part of that may be that I enjoyed the historical aspect. I loved reading letters from years past that gave insight into life in the "old days". Also, I loved reading about all the "ordinary" activities in the lives of the Hinckley's. It made them seem more real and approachable and also made me wonder how they ever found time to work in the garden and on their home and their kid's homes.
Chris
I enjoyed this little book of Marjorie Hinckley's letters. I felt they documented her life really well and it was interesting to see what was happening in her mind and heart while her husband was moving forward in his life and mission. She was a pretty normal, busy, harried mom who had lots of the feelings that most LDS women have, I think. It was a nice insight into the private life behind the very public life.
Wendy
This book gave an interesting perspective into the lives of a General Authority's family. A lot of times you might think it is glamorous, but this book shows the life of a young mother is very similar regardless of if your husband is a GA or a computer programmer.

What I really liked about it was it showed what a sincere and individualized love Sis. Hinckley had for each member of her family.
This is just a collection of letters written by Mrs. Hinckley to members of her family. I love them because they're just simple letters that could have been written by anybody, but you get such a good look at her personality. She really was a cheerful, witty, and caring person. Adventurous, too, given all the travels she made with her husband in their advanced years. A really fun read.
Callie
If you have a nagging feeling in the back of your mind that your life should somehow be a bit grander, or was supposed to be more meaningful, or more fulfilling, or more exciting, etc, etc, read this book. It makes you feel pretty good about being ordinary. If Marje's life was made up of mostly mundane stuff and she seemed perfectly happy with that, then surely I can't complain!
Vicki
I laughed and cried and wanted to read more. This book is a collection of Sister Hinckley's letters to members of her family. It is fun to catch a glimpse of this incredible woman's life. Who would have known that she had the same struggles with her marriage, children and finances that we all do. She also has such a terrific sense of humor! I wish I could have known her.
LeeAnn
Reading this leaves me thinking that I need to find all the letters that I can from my mother and father. They don't write as much any more. At least, my father doesn't. We talk on the phone but that leaves no record. I need to begin writing more although I wonder if my letters would be saved.

Such is the power of this book to bring the past to life through letters.
Emily
Nov 11, 2007 Emily rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This is a great read, especially for busy moms who can only grab a snipit here and there. I loved the delightful insights from one of my heroes in this world. It was fun to read of her struggles as a mother and a wife and gain a new perspective through reading hers. It was uplifting, joyful, and full of love and inspired me to be a better letter writer.
  • Glimpses into the Life and Heart of Marjorie Pay Hinckley
  • I Walked to Zion: True Stories of Young Pioneers on the Mormon Trail
  • Finding Peace, Happiness, and Joy
  • Daughters of God
  • Raising Up a Family to the Lord
Born Marjorie Pay on 23 November 1911, in Nephi, Utah, she was the first child of Phillip LeRoy and Georgetta Paxman Pay. She had four sisters and two brothers, but one brother died in infancy. The family moved to Salt Lake City in 1914 where Marjorie began her education. She graduated from East High School in 1929 and went to work at the Owens Illinois Glass Company performing secretarial duties....more
More about Marjorie Pay Hinckley...
Small and Simple Things To Women: Is This What I Was Born To Do? Mothering: Everyday Choices, Eternal Blessings