Start by marking “Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens” as Want to Read:
Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens

Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  642 ratings  ·  76 reviews
"Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens" includes all the information farmers need from choosing breeds and hatching chicks to building coops and keeping the birds healthy and safe from predators to keep chickens or run an egg business.
The 3rd edition, now with 188,000 copies in print contains new and expanded features:
"Fowl Disposition" new chapter on training chickens and
Published (first published January 12th 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens

The Encyclopedia of Country Living by Carla EmeryThe Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It by John SeymourThe Backyard Homestead by Carleen MadiganPut 'em Up! by Sherri Brooks VintonSeed to Seed by Suzanne Ashworth
Homesteading
29th out of 146 books — 80 voters
Depletion and Abundance by Sharon AstykPest Control for Organic Gardening by Amber RichardsThe Resilient Gardener by Carol DeppeGaia's Garden by Toby HemenwayThe Orphan Conspiracies by James Morcan
Life after the oil crash (nonfiction)
12th out of 39 books — 24 voters

More lists with this book...

Naftoli
I have also read the Storey's Guide to raising goats. I like this series but gave this book 3 stars because I simply do not know how to rate these farm, instructional books. I cannot place my finger on it but this one "did not grab me." I have read livestock/farming books that really perked me up and had me at the edge of my seat - this one did not. That said, I think it is definitely one that should be on the bookshelf, along with other chicken fancier manuals, for anyone who keeps chickens. By ...more
Spencer
This is the gold standard of poultry books. Loads of information, presented in a direct unbiased fashion. Very practical for backyard chicken keeping but has information about scaling up well beyond that. I really like Gail Damerow's style. She's well know in poultry writing. I've enjoyed many of her essays in Backyard Poultry magazine. Down to earth and flat-out useful.

I wouldn't recommend this as an introduction to keeping chickens. It's not gentle to the novice. There are many descriptions of
Jessica
We are getting ready to get our first batch of chickens so I've been trying to prepare myself. I know that I'll do most of my learning by doing rather than by reading, but I have to start with some basic knowledge. This book seemed to be pretty consistently rated high on people's lists so I bought it.
Reading through the chapters that interested me the most made me feel more confused than ever. I still don't know what kind of coop to build, how much I will have to supplement feed, and what exact
jess
It may not be fair to say I "read" this book, since I didn't really sit down and go cover to cover, but I have looked over the material at various times. This is a solid reference book for chickens. It's pretty comprehensive, all the information is clear and helpful, and it doesn't talk too much about the emo, sentimental feelings and emotions attached to the whole urban chicken flock movement. It's straightforward, like talking to a rural veterinarian. Since more people are getting chickens, an ...more
Melinda Thomas
A wealth of information about raising chickens, probably far more than the keeper of any backyard chicken coop will ever need. That part is amazing, but my one beef with this book (no pun intended... well, okay, maybe a little, heh) is that there is so many pages devoted to all the things that can go wrong that it almost scared me off of keeping chickens at all. Luckily I got over it, and we have learned as we've gone along just what it means in our particular situation. Chickens tend to be fair ...more
Tatjana
What a great book.
Both my husband and I read this book. It's a very detailed and well organized book about all aspects of chicken husbandry. While I am a beginner in the poultry world, there were things in this book that my more experienced friends didn't know.
If you are toying with having chickens, check this book out from the library. You don't need the newest one. The information is mostly the same. Read the book cover-to-cover.
I feel confident that this book will help me be a better poultry
Heidi Cordell
If you are thinking about raising chickens, this is a comprehensive must read. Very detailed information. Loved it.
Martha☀
This book was our go-to reference as we entered the world of chicken-farming. It gives a fairly in-depth look at the management of layers, meat-birds and chicks. But, having had chickens for only 6 months, we have already out-grown the information provided in this book as it has very basic medical information. We have had to look elsewhere for our guidance about recurring bumblefoot, internal lays and bandaging of wounds. (youtube has been a great help!)
Jimbecker
Great tips for daily management of the layers. Food, water, and coop are addressed in detail. A must for my fowl friends!
Shane Westfall
Like most of the Storey guides, this book comprehensivly touches on almost all of the basics that a novice would need to know. As some reviewers have pointed out, it does tend to be a little dry and technical, yet it is written to be a "how-to-manual" and I think it excels at doing that. Some areas are covered rather superficially, but I haven't any one volume that covers so much, yet written on the laypersons level.
Ami Lahoff
Very thorough resource for potential chicken owners and easy to find information according to chapters. When one of my pullets was injured by my dog, I found very simple and clear directions on how to treat the wound. Likewise, as my chickens have gotten older, I've gone back to re-read chapters on their care and found a lot of great advice. Storey's guides are all VERY good! We also have Storey's Guide to Raising Goats!
Deb C
Although not the most fascinating read. I find that when I have a chicken problem this is the first place I go,as it covers almost everything that can go wrong with raising chickens. Do not be put off by all the possible ways things can go wrong though as it took me 2 years after reading this to get up the nerve to try chickens.
Patti
This book has it all - raising chickens from chick-hood to death. The detailed information contained within may have saved the life of one of our babies because of the amazing details about coccidiosis. However, as we are raising the chickens for eggs and pets, the details about raising chickens as food was a little disturbing.
Mackenzie
Everything you need to know about raising chickens. That about sums it up.
Andrea Balfour
This is a wonderfully complete resource but there is so much information that a beginner still doesn't know where to start. Now we know enough to be dangerous and I'll have to keep reviewing other resources including the extension service, friends and others raising chickens, and of course..you tube.
Amber
I'm so excited to get chickens this spring and after reading this book, I feel much more confident that I will do it right!
Dan
Tons of information, sort of an overwhelming amount of information for someone just starting out. Definitely does not cover organic/chemical free chicken care, very heavy on the need for miticides for dealing mite problems in particular. Still, an excellent overview of keeping chickens.
David
Covers the fundamentals of raising backyard chickens for eggs, meat, or show. The section on killing made it clear that we will not be eating our chickens, or at least any time soon, despite the author's assurances that there is someone in any family who has the stomach to do so.
Belinda
Jul 16, 2008 Belinda rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: beginning chicken-keepers
This guide really does cover, or at least touch on, pretty much everything you need to know to get started raising your own chickens. There are some topics that are not discussed in depth, but you can get enough information here to enable you to easily do further research online.
Erin
Great book for anyone thinking of raising chickens! Damerow covered everything from housing to health to eggs to showing chickens and everything in between. It is not a "sit down and read it" type of book, but more of a reference book. Really great for anyone's farming library!
Tiffany
In case any of you were wondering why I'm reading chicken books, we got some a few months ago. They are SO cool! I love watching them, they've been great. This book was fabulous with all the info you would ever want/need to know about them.
Chris
If we get the permit for chickens we'll be referring to this book daily, if not more frequently. It has the most complete info about setting up a coop, and caring for chicks and hens of all the books I've seen on the subject.
Justin
I highly recommend this book if you're planning on raising chickens. It is very informative and comprehensive. In part thanks to this book, we now have two, beautiful healthy hens named Patrick and Maureen Cluckers!
Robyn
Lots of information, way too much information about killing and cooking chickens, but that is just me. This is the one to help you pick the right chickens and gives you the low down with out any sugar coating it.
Kristen
A lot of info and very well organized. It seems to be written more to people who want to riase hundreds of chickens. I wish it had one chapter for people who only want to raise two or three or maybe four.
Erik
Informative and educational. A must have if you want to have fresh eggs; just don't plan on saving money raising your own eggs. Raise chickens for your families health, for fun and to educate.
Brent Anderson
May 03, 2011 Brent Anderson rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People interested in raising chickens
Good, reliable source for information on raising meat or egg chickens as well as breeding and chick / pullet care. Good for the backyard chicken farmer or those considering larger operations.
Ami
I can't imagine raising chickens without this book, unless you are Laura Ingalls Wilder. And she would probably like this book as well. Complete, well-organized, and interesting.
Tad Hussey
The bible on how to raise chickens. 'Nuff said.
Heather
This has been my go-to for all things chicken. With our first flock of layers 1week old I feel much more prepared for the years ahead having this book under my wing!
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks: Breeds, Care, Health
  • The Small-Scale Poultry Flock: An All-Natural Approach to Raising Chickens and Other Fowl for Home and Market Growers
  • Storey's Basic Country Skills: A Practical Guide to Self-Reliance
  • Free-Range Chicken Gardens: How to Create a Beautiful, Chicken-Friendly Yard
  • Keeping Chickens with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Care for a Happy, Healthy Flock
  • Storey's Guide to Raising Dairy Goats: Breeds, Care, Dairying
  • Small Scale Grain Raising: An Organic Guide to Growing, Processing, and Using Nutritious Whole Grains, for Home Gardeners and Local Farmers
  • The Self-Sufficient Life and How to Live It: The Complete Back-To-Basics Guide
  • The Joy of Keeping Chickens: The Ultimate Guide to Raising Poultry for Fun or Profit
  • The New Organic Grower: A Master's Manual of Tools and Techniques for the Home and Market Gardener
  • Pastured Poultry Profit$
  • Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable Gardeners
  • Chick Days: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens from Hatching to Laying
  • The Encyclopedia of Country Living
  • Keeping Chickens: The Essential Guide to Enjoying and Getting the Best from Chickens
  • Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades: The Complete Guide to Natural Gardening
  • Root Cellaring: Natural Cold Storage of Fruits & Vegetables
  • Homesteading: A Backyard Guide to Growing Your Own Food, Canning, Keeping Chickens, Generating Your Own Energy, Crafting, Herbal Medicine, and More
Barnyard in Your Backyard: A Beginner's Guide to Raising Chickens, Ducks, Geese, Rabbits, Goats, Sheep, and Cows The Backyard Homestead Guide To Raising Farm Animals The Chicken Health Handbook The Chicken Encyclopedia: An Illustrated Reference Building Chicken Coops: Storey Country Wisdom Bulletin A-224