Start by marking “The Starlight Rite” as Want to Read:
The Starlight Rite

The Starlight Rite

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  2,188 ratings  ·  127 reviews
Genre: BDSM Futuristic Science Fiction

Her voice is known throughout the galaxy; her face is completely unknown.

Fleeing her monstrous husband back on puritanical Earth and the police assassins he's hired, singer Mella Archer becomes stranded on the frontier planet of Nexus. Desperate to survive, she picks the wrong target--Dain, the head of planetary security.

Dain is amused
Published August 3rd 2010 by Loose Id LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Starlight Rite, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Starlight Rite

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick

Admittedly, I’m not a big fan of Science Fiction and even though this isn't heavy sci-fi, I had a harder time getting into The Starlight Rite than I do Cherise Sinclair’s straight (non-sci-fi) erotic stories. However, that said, about halfway through I found that I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough, wanting to find out what was going to become of the Earther Mella, who had been sentenced to serve as an unshuline – a sex slave – for 39 days for attempted robbery, and the man who ‘bought’ her,
Mspink
This was definitely a different type of background setting for CS than we are used to. Very sci-fi. But also laced with that delicious D/s flavor. A tough as nails hero with a heart of gold. A stubborn yet vulnerable female who falls reluctantly for him but very sweetly. Yummy dominant lovin. And of course, a nasty bad-guy who we all hate.

Once again, another well written story by CS. I admit I'm looking forward to more of the "Masters" books but this very different book was just proof she can pu
Toni (U.A.C.)
Stranded and running for her life, Mella is caught trying to steal money to hide and survive her husband's murderous attempts. She couldn't have picked a worse or better target, Dain who happens to be head of the planetary security. Intrigued by the mystery she presents, he buys her contract as an indentured sex slave, never knowing her indentity as the famous singer Amelina Archer, hopefully he never will as far as she's concerned. She wants to survive and bring justice to those responsible for ...more
Le
4 stars for story. 1 star for the following reality check:

This isn't dubious consent, it's non-consent. More importantly, it's unacknowledged non-consent.

At one point, the heroine says, "This is rape!" and the "hero" says, "No, it's not! Because horrible things happen to the genitals of rapists here on this planet. Oh, and also you begged me to buy you." And then the heroine feels guilty. GUILTY.

After being given an aphrodisiac (without her consent or knowledge), electrocuted, informed that she
Mrs. Missive
Okay...officially a Cherise Sinclair addict. I will read any book she puts out now. While she does have strong themes that run through her books (strong Dom characters, a woman reluctant to submit or new to the scene, and HOT steamy spanky sex), there is enough diversity in her character choices and story lines that I don't feel bored.

This book was the first Sci-Fi tale I have read from Sinclair. In this tale Earth has gone through the "Moral Wars" and sex is deemed for procreation only. Well po
Mary B.
This book is a well-crafted, well-written story with great characters.

Other reviewers described this book as BDSM-light. This was my first such book, and after reading it, I can say for certain that the BDSM realm is not for me at all. But, I did not factor that into my rating, because I wanted to do the book justice - it was a great story!
carol
Oct 11, 2012 carol rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults, erotica and Scifi fans
Shelves: bdsm, paranormal
Cherise Sinclair has done it yet again, written a BDSM romance that appeals to the romantic in me, as much as the stories BDSM elements appeal, and which, in my opinion are so erotically portrayed. This story has a Sci fi setting, futuristic and set on the planet Nexus, one of a number of planets where humans migrated and settled in the past. It portrays Earth and Earthers, post moralistic wars, where through controlling organised religion people no longer are allowed to experience sexuality as ...more
Mila
I was very impressed with the first book in the Shadowlands collection (for now the only one i've read) but reading this one made me smile for about an hour after i have finished it.
I have always liked alpha males but regrettably they more often then not turn into jerks bending their heroins to their will against their wishes for usually their own selfish means however the hero in this book was anything but that. Kind, patient, protective, teasing, always giving priorities to her needs before hi
Booklover, Indianapolis
(April) Pretty good, but needed length to add depth to the story. I felt like I've read this before - it wasn't all that original, and I didn't understand or particularly like the Starlight Rite scene in the book - seemed like a convoluted reason for people to have an orgy a few times a year (and I wonder about siblings/parents/etc. being there together - even if they are not together, they still see each other but supposedly everyone has to be there!). When Mella was singing to the little girls ...more
 B.E.Love
I really liked this book, The Starlight Rite is my first Cherise Sinclair book and I think she is a great author. I flew through this book really quickly and I was surprised how fast I finished it. I would have liked this book way more had **SPOILERS** there been no public lovin and free touching **END SPOILER** with that being said this was still a great book. The world building was fantastic and transported me right along with the characters. Dain was a great hero and I loved how possessive he ...more
lynn❤️lynn
Loved loved this book. I don't normally do sci fi, but this is just wow...I want me a Dane. The relationship between Mella and Dane is soooo hot, even if she is an enforced slave to start with. I loved the mystery, the story line kept me hooked throughout. The story is well written, and I found myself lost to another world. This world was so different and yet so similar to our current world.
I found the explanation for the new world at the back, but for me this was not needed as the story was so
Smartmouth Smut
First, let me say that I don’t read sci-fi, I can watch the occasional alien movie but the books- pure snooze fest. That being said, I finished Starlight Rite in two days and stayed up till midnight to finish it. I really enjoyed it. I didn’t love, love, love it. Wha? I know, I know…it is sacrilege to say that. I generally love Cherise Sinclair books so much that I will read ANYTHING she writes, hence moving out of my comfort zone with this erotic sci-fi.

The book is Sinclair’s first and you can
Angela
This was probably more like 2.5 stars. But the main concept of it just brought it down for me. I had some issues with the slave/no choice thing and as that was continuously shoved in my face through different scenarios I couldn't get over it.

Still, I enjoy Ms. Sinclair's writing, and look forward to her next book.
Kristen (Peddler of Smut)
2 1/2 to 3 stars
What do you get when combining erotica, BDSM, and Sci-fi together? A very strange read. This book was just a little too out there for me.
Melanie♥
I do hope Ms. Sinclair plans to spin more tales in this world of Nexus.
Jenncw
Shauna
Carolyn F.
3.5 stars.

Mella's husband has tried to kill her and she's stuck on the streets on a planet that doesn't have any kind of help for the indigent. She tries to steal from Dain who happened to be a cop. One of the punishments is you're sold as a slave during your sentence, to be used in any way they see fit as long as it's not lasting pain. Dain feels bad for her and buys her as a sexual slave. He's going to take advantage of it too. Mella's husband had hired some of their type of cops so she can't
Laura (Kyahgirl)
3.5/5; 4 stars; B+

I enjoyed this story. Since most of the Cherise Sinclair books I've read have been in the Shadowlands series this book felt like quite a departure. I really enjoy sci-fi/space opera type books and this had a bit of the vibe of the Sharon Lee/Steve Miller Liaden universe books (but with a whole lot more sex!).
At its core it was a nice romance.

The only thing that bugged me about the story was I thought Mella was really TSTL when it came to trusting Dain. It felt a bit contrived
Calli Carlisle
This is my last Cherise Sinclair book! I'm so sad!! Now I have no more of her books to read (until she puts out a new one).

I loved this one. A bit different than her usual fare but that's okay with me. Because of my interest in certain fandoms, sci fi isn't a stranger to me. I loved the world building here and the characters were great and I really got pulled into the story. Yes, it was fast paced as Cherise's shorter novels often are. But that's good because it made me just want to devour it w
Moira
Goood but not as enjoyable as her Shadowlands or Masters of the MOuntain, sometimes I find sci-fi a little hard to follow.
Shazza
Erotic sci-fi isn't a genre I'd usually pick up to read but with Cherise Sinclair as the author I couldn't resist. So glad I did. I really enjoyed this book - it was a great introduction/easing in to this genre (ie no strange appendages or tentacles!).
It had a good, strong storyline and unlike some stories where you lean more towards one of the main characters, in this book I warmed to both Mella and Dain straight away.
And if this ever becomes a series - well Dain's best friend.....*sigh*:)
Sharlene
The Starlight Rite (Kindle Edition)

Love reading Cherise Sinclairs books , I'm running out of her stories to read and drool over ! This story is about Mella leaving her abusive husband on earth and running to another planet. Her husband follows and blows up the boat she is on killing her friends, Mella manages to escape . A great story that made me cry, cringe and fall in love with the characters.
Demi Idle
I quite enjoyed the erotica in this book, and the narrative is excellent. I liked the setting, and the premise. I also don't have a problem with fantasy rape, per se. What I found problematic is unrealistic response of the characters to the supposed huge cultural difference.
A prudish woman from Earth where sexual pleasure is not allowed, and even a kiss is considered a sin could not have possibly enjoyed being raped, drug, or no drug.
I also find the justification of sexual slavery by a supposedl
Crystal
So...this book was interesting. Different--from other books I've read and from my expectations. It wasn't bad, persay. I enjoyed the read and got through it fairly quickly. But what I enjoyed was not what I expected to.
Erotic BDSM futuristic science fiction. Not a phrase I hear every day. I'll admit. I enjoyed the world settings and found them interesting for the most part. Earth becoming a repressive Puritanical religious bastion was not as much of a stretch as I'd like to think it is. I did g
Teresa
Pro
Sci-fi romance

Strong heroine and hero. Despite having a moral war upbringing, the heroine dealt quite admirably in her new situation. She didn't have pity parties. She did what she had to do.

Interesting world building especially having the gods/goddesses actually have a hand in the world.

Con
None I can think of right now
Tai
Excellent world building, and it kept my attention all the way through. However, something always just seemed missing in the storyline. If only the author spent as much time on the main plot as she did with the background details, then the story would have been much better.

Still, I liked the story, and will definitely read more by this author.
Lirajean
ALMOST 4 stars. Good characters, pretty good world-building, an interesting plot. But no homeruns. There wasn't much suspense, the emotions were kinda mild, the plot was largely predictable. The sex scenes were the best parts of the book but they weren't enough to make me want to go beyond 3 stars.
Julie
Wow! It's been awhile since I've come across a 5-star romance, but Cherise Sinclair's "The Starlight Rite" has earned those stars hands down. A sci-fi romance that happens on another world and involves lite bdsm has a delicious mix of passionate erotica with tender and gripping moments of emotional angst. The hero and heroine are addictive, each in their own right. Their personalities and actions are the driving force behind the story's momentum. They swiftly capture you, the reader, and drag yo ...more
Sophie Oak
I love Cherise Sinclair. This is a departure from her norm, but a great read. It's an exciting blend of fantasy and erotica and proves, yet again, why she's a master of the genre.
  • Victorious Star (Interstellar Service & Discipline, #1)
  • Doms of Dark Haven (Mountain Masters & Dark Haven, #1.5)
  • The Breaker's Concubine
  • Iron Dominance (Steamwork Chronicles, #1)
  • Demon's Captive (War Tribe, #1)
  • Captured
  • The 9th Orb
  • In Service
  • Belle Starr
  • Daughters of Terra (The Ta'e'sha Chronicles, #1)
  • Charlie's Bargain
  • The Auction
  • Ja-Rael's Lioness
  • Alien Overnight (Aliens Overnight, #1)
  • Berrr's Vow (Zorn Warriors, #4)
  • Captive (Entwined Fates, #1)
  • Mirror of My Soul (Nature of Desire, #4)
  • Purple Passion (Le Petit Mort #1)
Having to wear glasses in elementary school can scar a person for life. Dubbed a nerd at an early age, Cherise Sinclair has been trying to live up to the stereotype ever since. And what better way than being an author?

Known for writing deeply emotional stories, the USA Today Bestselling Author has penned sixteen erotic romance novels, most with a BDSM theme. (Please do not mention the phrase momm
More about Cherise Sinclair...
Club Shadowlands (Masters of the Shadowlands, #1) Dark Citadel (Masters of the Shadowlands, #2) Breaking Free (Masters of the Shadowlands, #3) Master of the Mountain (Mountain Masters & Dark Haven, #1) Make Me, Sir (Masters of the Shadowlands, #5)